Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2014 9:30:04 PM EDT
I'm wanting to get a blackpowder rifle sometimes this year for our fall hunting season.  I've been looking at the CVA Optima.  Are they a good brand of rifle in general?  I know they have made a lot of improvements in blackpowder guns in general.  What about all the choices in powder now, which are the cleaner shooting types?
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a real fan of any CVA rifle.  I've owned a few, an build quality on these is pretty low.  I opted for a Thompson Center Contender G2 in .45x209.  the TC and others like it will set you back a bit more money, but they are high quality rifles.  I do like a totally enclosed action:  It rains and snows here, and having the primer totally enclosed makes it weather proof. Its a big deal here.

Powder:  I've used em all.  I happen to like Triple Seven.  It does leave a crud ring in the throat area of the rifle.  I do find that I can get best accuracy if I fire a fouling shot, swab once, and then load for hunting. I carry a cleaning jag installed on the loading rod.  When I fire, I simply slap a flannel patch on my tongue, get it moderately wet, swab the bore once, then load.  Accuracy is better that way, at least for my gun. Pellets are convenient but an expensive way to shoot.  If you use pyrodex pellets, note that they usually have a darker end.  This is a black powder "booster'.  It goes towards the breech end. (I haven't used Pyrodex pellets in a decade.  Not sure if they still have this).

Bullets:  I'm not a fan of any sabot system that uses a JHP pistol bullet.  They are not great performers. I d like sabots that use designed-for-muzzleloader bullet like the TC Shockwave, or the Hornady SST ML bullets.  I am currently using Dead Center bullets I got at Cabelas, and I love them.  I don't think they still carry them.

Do not go searching for highest velocities.  These front loaders are not .270's.  A ML bullet doesn't need  to be fast.  It kills with momentum gained from BIG bullets.  I've used a 240 all lead bullet, .50 cal, loaded it over 70 grains BP out of a little short barreled 20" carbine.  It plows clear through deer, even though its SLOW.  Think about it -   the old .45-70 has a reputation for anchoring animals, and it uses a big fat 405 grain bullet over a 70 grains of BP,and its considered a great buffalo and big bear rifle.  It does not need speed.  Ditto for BP.  You don't need 150 grains of powder for max velocities and a light weight bullet.  This works for .243's and 7mm-08's, but BP rifles used bullet mass instead of bullet speed.

If you want the ultimate in 'clean', savage makes (or made) the model 10ML.  It uses regular smokeless powder reloaders use for loading rifle cartridges.  Otherwise all the others are still "must clean tonight' kinda propellants.

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a CVA Optima V2 with a Nikon Inline XR, and love it! It's basic, rugged, accurate, and well priced. I'll post a pic later.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Omega 50 and 3 pellets of 777 under a shockwave (or powerbelt for easier loading)
with a winchester 209 primer.  Absolutely knocks deer dead in the dirt.

Surprisingly accurate out to 150 - I shoot a 3-9X variX III on it.  I like that in NY we get
early season ML in the Adirondacks and late season ML in the southern zone.
I hunt ML, Bow, Shotgun and rifle so ANYTHING that extends my season is nice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not a fan of CVA either, only because I have only owned a Thompson/Center and the thing is badass. I shoot a 250 grain Hornady SST with 100 grains of powder. Simple and effective. My buddy shoots 150 of powder but my groups suck with 150. I want to try 125 this year.

All I am going to say is invest in a good bullet that are NOT POWERBELT. The TC Shockwave bullets I BELIEVE are basically rebranded Hornady SST's.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
We have 2 1/2 months of archery, 2 weeks of rifle, and only one week of blackpowder season, three weeks BP if you include the two weeks of rifle.  I'm just wanting more time out in the field to improve my chances and Blackpowder is my best option right now.  Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]
We have one month of archery down here and I hate it. Only do it because it gets me out in the woods. Good luck this year!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thompson Center Impact is what I shoot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thompson Center Impact is what I shoot.  Great gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
my favorite way to hunt deer.

I use a Knight Disc and a T/C Renegade.
learn you gun inside and out and shoot it often.
visit the Muzzleloading forum in the Armory section.

I shoot 777 for the most part. stay away from Pellets. loose powder will give you better ignition.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like my Encore but they are certainly more expensive than that Optima. OK, the Optima is not a high end gun but for the price I see nothing wrong with them. I've been happy with the Barnes; I have only taken 3-4 deer with them but none have gone far at all. For powder I prefer the real thing.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like my Encore but they are certainly more expensive than that Optima. OK, the Optima is not a high end gun but for the price I see nothing wrong with them. I've been happy with the Barnes; I have only taken 3-4 deer with them but none have gone far at all. For powder I prefer the real thing.  
View Quote

I'm in the same boat here, love my encore ML. I use barnes expander ML sabots and they kill deer DRT. As for powders I have used several but for now I use american pioneer or shockeys gold pellets, only two. I am thinking of trying that blackhorn 209 soon. Supposed to be really clean, but doesnt come in pellet form.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:54:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a TC Omega. I shoot a TC 250gr shockwave over 3-777 pellets with a Winchester 209 primer.  With that load I can keep  3 rounds to about a 1" group at 100 yards on a sandbag rest, very happy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Our Black Powder Gun season has turned into Primitive Weapons Season.   So now I get to use my 1883 Springfield in 4570-405gr.   I just love our Primitive Season.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I was also looking into getting a Bp rifle for deer hunting. Been looking into them and have seen a lot of good reviews about the CVA. Anybody have one that can speak about it
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
For an entry level smoke pole, you can't go wrong with a Thompson Center Impact.  It offers tremendous value, especially considering the trigger which is something you'll find on much higher priced rifles.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#16]
W T, what county are you in hat has only 2 weeks of rifle??
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a t/c omega with a 2-7 Nikon pro staff.  Overall a great value setup, stupid accurate for black powder and powerful.  I've only been lucky enough to get one opportunity to shoot a deer with it but she crumbled in her tracks.  Here in Michigan, there are certain counties that don't allow center fire for deer hunting so the muzzleloader let's me hunt the entire state and the muzzy season in late December too so it was definetly worth it.

My only issue with black powder is I only get about 5-6 shots outta her before the barrel is too crusty to load easily but I haven't had to take more than 3 shots per range session with it to insure my zero for deer season
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Danco302, I'm hunting in Southeast Oklahoma, Choctaw county.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top