Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2017 2:17:44 PM EDT
I just passed my tests (tech and general) and am waiting for my call sign. I was playing last night with my rt60, and had dialed in most local repeaters, so I was just manually scrolling through the repeaters, and I hit on a clear transmission, some people were running a net (?) that asked a bunch of questions about computers, then, the fascinating part, the net operator was reading call signs and names, and people all over the country would check in and give their answer combinations, like "I will take alpha, alpha, bravo, alpha, Charlie", obviously their guesses to the correct answers.  

I'm in SoCal, and am using a 5 watt hand held, so it surprised me when a guy from Ohio, another from Kansas, the Bay Area, and even Canada chimed in like they were next door.

So it occurred to me, I don't know squat about what repeaters REALLY DO.  I get that they generally listen for a specific tone, and when they hear it, they receive a transmission on one frequency, and instantly repeat that transmission on another, given freq.   I thought that was a local deal for hand held radios to get a bit of range.  

Ok, so how is someone two thousand miles away hearing that transmission?  Is it a string of repeaters all shaking hands and doing this, or is the guy in Canada listening to my local repeater?  And how is he talking to this repeater from Canada, which I guess is the same question.

This was a two meter repeater, if that matters.  

Please be gentle, I don't even have an Elmer yet.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The repeaters were linked to a WAN. We have one around here too. Western PA and I can talk to NJ, TX, GB, depending if the repeater is linked to the WAN at that time or not.
http://www.wanrepeater.net/wan-repeater-listing/

Thats why I always say never say anything over the airwaves you don't want EVERYONE to hear.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hm, sounds like maybe an EchoLink or IRLP repeater. There are so many flavors of repeaters now that it's really hard to say for sure, but that would be my best guess.

As far as learning about repeaters, the down and dirty is they take a signal, usually a weaker signal from a handheld or distant mobile, and receive it on one frequency. It then amplifies it and rebroadcasts it on another frequency. This allows stations with weaker signals to cover more area, as you already understand.

Now, when you start getting beyond that there are many levels and nuances that would be a ton to write out in one post. Linked systems, EchoLink/IRLP linked machines, D-Star, Fusion, DMR, it's a lot and we can answer most of the questions, but it would be easier to probably narrow it down to one thing at a time based on your different curiosities.

ETA: WAN, that's one I'm not familiar with either
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Linked Repeaters!

George (founder of the Bay-Net group) teaches me about Repeaters in Episode 10 of Fo Time it should help answer some of your questions.

If'n you're anywhere even semi close to the Bay Area, you should deff check out the Bay-Net Ham Radio 'Club'
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, your basic understanding of the RF side of a repeater is sound.

As other have said here, in addition to that RF capability, some repeaters also have VOIP (Voice Over Internet Packet) connectivity.  

Popular VOIP solutions for Amateur repeaters include Echolink, IRLP, and Allstar.

These technologies allow for repeater linking beyond their expected RF range, and in the case of Echolink and Allstar, allow hams to use a computer and IP connection to access distant repeaters via the internet and appropriate client software.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, your basic understanding of the RF side of a repeater is sound.

As other have said here, in addition to that RF capability, some repeaters also have VOIP (Voice Over Internet Packet) connectivity.  

Popular VOIP solutions for Amateur repeaters include Echolink, IRLP, and Allstar.

These technologies allow for repeater linking beyond their expected RF range, and in the case of Echolink and Allstar, allow hams to use a computer and IP connection to access distant repeaters via the internet and appropriate client software.
View Quote
Well, thanks....but I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition....
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
NOBODY EXPects....   Oh, you've heard it, then.

*wanders off*
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NOBODY EXPects....   Oh, you've heard it, then.

*wanders off*
View Quote
I had to Google it, makes sense now
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had to Google it, makes sense now
View Quote
Yes, but did you watch the whole thing and laugh?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, but did you watch the whole thing and laugh?
View Quote
no, about 30-45 seconds and I was out, srry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top