Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2015 10:18:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the battery capacity? Does it have a battery case available? Kirisun seems to make good stuff from the reviews of the DPMR things. I am in the Greenville, SC area but the closest repeater currently is at Caesars Head Mountain which is a stretch for a portable in a lot of places. When they get a DMR on Paris Mtn, it will work a lot  better. SC Hearts is putting most of the DMR up in the state. They made the choice to move from D-Star to DMR because of the multiple vendors.

RS
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsLlZUGCcAAxYJu.jpg:large

User manual can be downloaded here if you are interested.

Picked one up last week to look and see if it was a good radio to recommend in between the cheaper CS-700's and the Motorolas.

I am impressed.

It has a nice color display, seems solidly built, works well.

Audio quality is good, impressively good. I can usually tell when someone is on a CS radio because the audio is a bit "tinny"- when I started using this radio I didn't tell anyone to see if they commented- nobody noticed. A local ham who is very, very into DMR and actually was on the design team for the Mototrbo trunking didn't believe I was on it until he saw it the audio was so close to the XPR-7550 I was using. Audio output is great, and it has the kind of loud audio you expect in a commercial/public safety rig.

The color display works well and is nicely laid out.

The programming software is laid out very similar to the Motorola CPS, but a bit clunkier. Works well enough however- and guess what.... its FREE! You can download it here.

The radio uses the Motorola programming cables and speaker mics- this is a huge plus in my eyes. It means cables are easy to get and that you can get quality speaker mics and audio accessories.

It works just as well on analog freqs.

On DMR it doesn't support text messaging between it and Motorolas, but it works with CS radios (Motos are a little wonky with texting to other brands). It does do radio check and direct call with all brands.

One huge plus- these us a regular SMA antenna connector. Motorola did that with the XPR-6550, but with the 7550 went to a funky screw in all hot old school connector that means you can''t use an external antenna, or any aftermarket one.  With the DP770 you can

All in all, with these selling at $355 on Amazon right now in this price range its a much better value than paying $300-350 for a used Motorola XPR-6550. And you guys know what a diehard Moto fan I am so what it takes for me to say that.

Does it bring a lot more to the table than the CS-700? Its better made, has a much better and easier to read display, better audio out and and uses Moto accessories. Is it worth that $150 extra it commands over the CS-700? I think so. I think this is great entry into DMR for those who are interested.

View Quote

Awesome, I saw those at IWCE  but didn't look as I'm a rep for Tecnet who is releasing the TPD-1000 series which is very similar to the Kirisun offering at a similar price ±5% or so.

I think unofficially the DMR Tier II world seems to be standardizing on that connector with the big exception being Simoco (my Tier III manufacturer that I rep for) though it is very similar.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the battery capacity? Does it have a battery case available? Kirisun seems to make good stuff from the reviews of the DPMR things. I am in the Greenville, SC area but the closest repeater currently is at Caesars Head Mountain which is a stretch for a portable in a lot of places. When they get a DMR on Paris Mtn, it will work a lot  better. SC Hearts is putting most of the DMR up in the state. They made the choice to move from D-Star to DMR because of the multiple vendors.

RS
View Quote

I didn't know this-thanks for the info, now I'm even Moar interested! (Sburg)
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to mention Garand_Shooter…picked a XPR 6550 up on eBay yesterday for $225 (cause I have to have a standard to compare all of the other DMR radio's all of us are about to test to). The price is coming down on them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top