Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2011 4:40:56 AM EDT
I've decided that I want to build my very own emcomm box and I want my IC-718 (9.45" wide) and Yaesu FT-7800r (need about 6" since the mike comes out the side) side by side if possible.  I was wondering what the internal width is on the MTM spud 7 box?   Also, where is a good source for custom front panels...or  do I just need to find someone local?  

Also, I'm trying to think of ways that I can mount my comet SBB-5 higher on my truck, and I don't want to drill a hole in my roof.  It's been on the driver's side rear bed stake pocket.  here is my current idea:
I would use a piece of square tubular steel and bolt it to the bed of my truck then put an NMO mount on top of the square tube steel.

Would I have issues with a lack of a ground plane if I did this, or any other issues that you can imagine?
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 5:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've decided that I want to build my very own emcomm box and I want my IC-718 (9.45" wide) and Yaesu FT-7800r (need about 6" since the mike comes out the side) side by side if possible.  I was wondering what the internal width is on the MTM spud 7 box?   Also, where is a good source for custom front panels...or  do I just need to find someone local?

Tag...I'll measure mine when I get home from work if someone doesn't beat me to it.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Also, I'm trying to think of ways that I can mount my comet SBB-5 higher on my truck, and I don't want to drill a hole in my roof.  It's been on the driver's side rear bed stake pocket.  here is my current idea:
I would use a piece of square tubular steel and bolt it to the bed of my truck then put an NMO mount on top of the square tube steel.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/bigguncoop/iphone1196-1.jpg
Would I have issues with a lack of a ground plane if I did this, or any other issues that you can imagine?

Doing a quick search, the MTM Spud 7 external dimentions are 18.5" x 13" x 15.25"....   that should give an approx. idea to how much the internals would be.  I've tried to look for the internal dimentions, but I haven't seen any listed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You might have a look at the Comet CP-5NMO mount, I'm using one with the SBB-5 on the rear cab door. It's a solid setup.

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
All measurements are inside the container and approximate rounded to nearest .25"

the Spud7 in Green Measures:

at face opening

15.75 x 10.5 inches (12.5" deep)

at 3" depth (setback):

15 x 10.25 inches (9.5" deep)

at bottom:

13.75 x 8.75 inches

as you can see it tapers or graduates down in size nearer the bottom of the box.  the included tray is appox 3" overall.

The Orange Spud7 may be smaller due to it's inferior mold color

Disclaimer:

If I had to do it over again (really thinking it through) I would have used some sort of Rack Mounted Box like some here have.  My choice of equipment (older/larger rigs)made it tougher to mount everything in like ar-jedi or BigDaddy 0004.  If time and materials (used and unused) were added up, I'd been better off doing the Rack-box. Of course, I'm happy with the end result, and it works for me!  I actually kinda finished up with a Rack of sorts YMMV

SCW Build Thread

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All measurements are inside the container and approximate rounded to nearest .25"

the Spud7 in Green Measures:

at face opening

15.75 x 10.5 inches (12.5" deep)

at 3" depth (setback):

15 x 10.25 inches (9.5" deep)

at  overall.

The Orange Spud7 may be smaller due to it's inferior mold color

Disclaimer:

If I had to do it over again (really thinking it through) I would have used some sort of Rack Mounted Box like some here have.  My choice of equipment (older/larger rigs)made it tougher to mount everything in like ar-jedi or BigDaddy 0004.  If time and materials (used and unused) were added up, I'd been better off doing the Rack-box. Of course, I'm happy with the end result, and it works for me!  I actually kinda finished up with a Rack of sorts YMMV

http://www.fotolode.com/images/SCWolverine/emb3.jpg

SCW Build Thread

''I really like your box, I guess I should hunt down some more rack box options too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Man!  

Check the EMCOMM Box Thread for all sorts of inspiration

for the life of me I can't remember who has the Rack Box in the back seat of the Yukon....?
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
In regards to your antenna question:

I see a great many Municipal Trucks, Pipeline and others with an Antenna mount as you show in the OP.  I'd assume it'd work; if not the door-sill shown above would be a good option as well.  I have mine on a front fender mount.

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, I mounted mine in a similar way.  Worked out great.  I have a pivoting head and a linear actuator on mine though.  Video here.

After 5 years now, I'm building its successor.  Version 3 will be much more sleek and have no exposed mechanicals.  Also a full color touch-screen user interface in the cab that tells me my truck's overall clearance.  A GPS engine will remember low clearance areas and automatically raise & lower the antenna.  How's that for major overkill?    (The user interface will actually do a lot of other non-antenna radio-related chores).

Video of the antenna position screen on the user interface prototype here:  Linky

</hijack>
</patting self on back>
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is a link to one source for custom front panels....

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

OP, I mounted mine in a similar way.  Worked out great.  I have a pivoting head and a linear actuator on mine though.  Video here.

http://www.MetalSchnitzel.com/RoboMast/Robomast2InstalledMR.jpg

After 5 years now, I'm building its successor.  Version 3 will be much more sleek and have no exposed mechanicals.  Also a full color touch-screen user interface in the cab that tells me my truck's overall clearance.  A GPS engine will remember low clearance areas and automatically raise & lower the antenna.  How's that for major overkill?    (The user interface will actually do a lot of other non-antenna radio-related chores).

Video of the antenna position screen on the user interface prototype here:  Linky

http://www.MetalSchnitzel.com/RoboRack/RoboMastAMeterProto1MR.JPG

</hijack>

</patting self on back>

What kind of actuator did you use, source?

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

It's a Danaher 050 series I got cheap on eBay.  Not the best one for the application, but it has worked extremely well and endured years of heat, ice, snow, rain and everything else nature could throw at it.

The redesigned one will use a planetary gear motor and a separate PWM shaft encoder on a smaller mounting plate than in this pic:

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

It's a Danaher 050 series I got cheap on eBay.  Not the best one for the application, but it has worked extremely well and endured years of heat, ice, snow, rain and everything else nature could throw at it.

The redesigned one will use a planetary gear motor and a separate PWM shaft encoder on a smaller mounting plate than in this pic:

http://www.MetalSchnitzel.com/RoboRack/MotorDriveTestFit-LR.jpg

THe Danaher looks like a nice solution. Saw the custom planetary version noted on your website. I was considering fabbing something and using a Ford window winder motor simply because they are weatherproof for the most part, cheap and easy to modify. Didn't want anything fancy, just limit switch to limit switch to raise & lower a screwdriver or similar style mobile HF antenna.

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

for the life of me I can't remember who has the Rack Box in the back seat of the Yukon....?

I think PCSutton has the nice rack mount box with (2) IC-7000's in it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#14]
If you decide on a digital volt meter consider this.

I just picked up 2 new one from ebay, the company is sure-electronics. They are an LED type and the quality is much better than the one I had in my box. They are very stable in an RF field, seem to be very accurate. I picked up a red one for the box, and a blue one for my Jumpbox/Power Station.

The blue one is bright in daylight, and blinding in the dark. The red one is just right for a EMCOMM box and will help to not kill your night vision.

I pulled my old LCD panel out and notice that one of the capacitors was bulging! The meter was still working, but I will replace the capacitor and keep it as a backup.

I will post a picture.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why, thank you BD. Here are gratuitous photos:

Current configuration. SG-230 antenna match in Seahorse case on top.

Older configuration using LDG antenna tuner and Rigblaster pro. Since have gone SG-230 and SignLink USB. Pull out shelve for laptop.

First configuration....with IC-2100 2 meter rig. Note the blank panel on top in which I intended to mount switches and guages..until I figured out I didn't need them. Everything already has a switch..and if my battery runs low I can genset, solar, or shore-power a charge. We don need no steenking sweetches....

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/Radio%20Stuff/SceneryandRadioStation038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/Radio%20Stuff/SceneryandRadioStation039.jpg
Older configuration using LDG antenna tuner and Rigblaster pro. Since have gone SG-230 and SignLink USB. Pull out shelve for laptop.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/CIMG0057.jpg

First configuration....with IC-2100 2 meter rig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/GoKit002.jpg

Damn EMCOMM box owners always post whoring out picture of their setups!
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/Radio%20Stuff/SceneryandRadioStation038.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/Radio%20Stuff/SceneryandRadioStation039.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/CIMG0057.jpg

First configuration....with IC-2100 2 meter rig.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/GoKit002.jpg

Damn EMCOMM box owners always post whoring out picture of their setups!

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just picked up 2 new one from ebay, the company is sure-electronics. They are an LED type and the quality is much better than the one I had in my box. They are very stable in an RF field, seem to be very accurate. I picked up a red one for the box, and a blue one for my Jumpbox/Power Station.

The blue one is bright in daylight, and blinding in the dark. The red one is just right for a EMCOMM box and will help to not kill your night vision.

I pulled my old LCD panel out and notice that one of the capacitors was bulging! The meter was still working, but I will replace the capacitor and keep it as a backup.

I will post a picture.

RF Bounces mine around like a mutha––-interested!
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will post a picture.

RF Bounces mine around like a mutha––-interested!

It works great and they are about the same price as the other one. You can order from their website or do the ebay thing.
www.sure-electronics.com , from Hong Kong like the rest, but quality seems better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top