Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2011 11:33:35 AM EDT
Emcomm Box

We live in a really small house with a really big family and  I don't have a room for a 'shack'.  The EMCOMM Box idea struck me as a good portable solution for my 'pack shack' needs.  After reading and studying all those posted here and throughout the web (and countless do-overs and re-do's), this is what I finally came up with (plagiarism)...what is that quote...."Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"

Resting in the Spud 7.

Powered by my 12v tag-along battery box.

This view shows the 'feet', Acorn nuts give it a little lift and add stability

Still a good deal of work to do to clean up all the loose ends-thanks for all the help and inspiration!

Parts List:

Battery Link

DPDT Switch Link

LCD Display Link

110v Inlet Link

Switch/Breaker Link

BNC Bulkhead #2634 Link

Anderson PowerPoles Link

Samlex 1223 Power Supply Link

GREEN Spud 7 Amazon Link

Both Radios and Power Supply purchased from the QTH Swap and tuner from a local Hamfest

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Great work.  What material is the shelving?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great!  

What keeps it from flopping around when inside the box?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Shelf?

1/2" ply I had laying around.

Flopping?

nothing yet-prolly will use a smallish piece of foam rubber wedged in, the shelves run to back/bottom of box, and it doesn't move around too much, but it will need some sort of wedge

Thanks! It will be used more desk top than in box.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, your paint job makes it look like a solid surface counter top material.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Flopping?

nothing yet-prolly will use a smallish piece of foam rubber wedged in, the shelves run to back/bottom of box, and it doesn't move around too much, but it will need some sort of wedge

Having made cases for large heavy objects, let me suggest the firm urethane foam such as that used for "pool noodles" or the padding you see on playground equipment.  This can be cut to shape, glued in with contact cement, and retain its shape while giving some cushion.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks very nice!

I like the acorn nuts for the feet, wish I would have thought of that. I just got done putting the Battery tender in mine today.

ETA: I spotted some batteries at Radio Shack, 34AH SLA battery for 69.99, so if anyone is looking for some backup batteries then that may be an option.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: I spotted some batteries at Radio Shack, 34AH SLA battery for 69.99, so if anyone is looking for some backup batteries then that may be an option.

got a part number?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

got a part number?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10942600&retainProdsInSession=1#

Google is your friend!

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The batteries I saw were made by Universal Battery, I am no battery expert but I can say the one I have in my backup power supply was made in 07. It is a 18ah and is made by universal battery. I used to run the thing dead out in the field with my telescope (Bad thing to do!)  Then take it to work and jump start cars, the battery charger in my jump box went, and the battery would not take a charge. I used a recovery method I read about on the interwebs and recovered the battery, now it is jumping cars and kept on a float charge. It has been a great battery!

ETA: Yes the above link is the correct one!

I have been seriously thinking about picking up a couple of them and the big Solar Charger from harbor freight, for emergency power. I have a couple of inverters, but I can get some larger ones from work. And before any one says " Get a Generator" I live in an apartment and storing liquid Hydro Carbons in ones living space is asking for a Darwin award. I have to keep it green here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

got a part number?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10942600&retainProdsInSession=1#
Google is your friend!

navigating RS's page is a pain to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#11]

ARFCOM, the Baskin-Robbins of EMCOMM boxes!!!

ar-jedi

ps:
nice work but ... NEEDS MOAR 10PM !!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The batteries I saw were made by Universal Battery, I am no battery expert but I can say the one I have in my backup power supply was made in 07. It is a 18ah and is made by universal battery. I used to run the thing dead out in the field with my telescope (Bad thing to do!)  Then take it to work and jump start cars, the battery charger in my jump box went, and the battery would not take a charge. I used a recovery method I read about on the interwebs and recovered the battery, now it is jumping cars and kept on a float charge. It has been a great battery!

I have been seriously thinking about picking up a couple of them and the big Solar Charger from harbor freight, for emergency power. I have a couple of inverters, but I can get some larger ones from work. And before any one says " Get a Generator" I live in an apartment and storing liquid Hydro Carbons in ones living space is asking for a Darwin award. I have to keep it green here.

spend that $70 on a couple of golf cart batteries from sams club. for that price your going from 70ah's to 220ah's. thats my plan for a "home" battery bank to start. that setup will run my TV and directv receiver for a while during power outages. yes they take up a little more room and weigh a LOT more but for the money its the best bang for the buck. a small "furniture cart" modded will allow you to move the batteries around and allow you to store them in a closet when not in use. with a trickle charger you could even charge them while they are in the closet with very little danger to off gassing. just charge them with the door(closet) open and your GTG.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ARFCOM, the Baskin-Robbins of EMCOMM boxes!!!

ar-jedi

ps:
nice work but ... NEEDS MOAR 10PM !!!

http://www.northlite.net/ps/images/color_wheel.gif

my color isnt on that chart. just wait.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

damn, just measured my box and its just a sliver to short to fit one of those batteries in. guess i will now have to use something different as a battery box which sucks cause i wanted it all mounted in this one box. may have to buy a different box just for this reason.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flopping?

Having made cases for large heavy objects, let me suggest the firm urethane foam such as that used for "pool noodles" or the padding you see on playground equipment. This can be cut to shape, glued in with contact cement, and retain its shape while giving some cushion.

Surplus sleeping pads are the same material and are big sheets of the stuff.

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

spend that $70 on a couple of golf cart batteries from sams club. for that price your going from 70ah's to 220ah's. thats my plan for a "home" battery bank to start. that setup will run my TV and directv receiver for a while during power outages. yes they take up a little more room and weigh a LOT more but for the money its the best bang for the buck. a small "furniture cart" modded will allow you to move the batteries around and allow you to store them in a closet when not in use. with a trickle charger you could even charge them while they are in the closet with very little danger to off gassing. just charge them with the door(closet) open and your GTG.

You might need a little more than $70 for a couple golf cart batteries at Sam's, they run about $90 each( with core charge). You will also need to figure in the cost of a hand truck to tote them around as they weigh about 62# each. I used a cooler to hold mine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might need a little more than $70 for a couple golf cart batteries at Sam's, they run about $90 each( with core charge). You will also need to figure in the cost of a hand truck to tote them around as they weigh about 62# each. I used a cooler to hold mine.

well damn, i guess they upped the price. they used to be $70.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Replaced the TM-G707 (dual band) today with a TM-231 (2m).  

Dual Band gonna make the Mobile Mo-Bille,  and single band is a hold over till I can find another affordable Dual Band w/o a removable face.

I've been using (very little) this setup in the Barn on the workbench and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out (placement).  

I would like a Desk Mic for the HF (at the least) or maybe a Headphone/Boom Mic combo.  

Some hangers for the hand-held mics would be a BIG help to hold me over-where do you find those?

I have a Amber Voltage Display that I ordered but I can't figure it out?  4 Screw Terminals on back?

anyways, the NVIS Random Wire is working pretty well with 620+ miles the farthest I've been.  South to Hollywood FL and North to Beckley WVa.  

If it ever begins to cool down I'll get the Big Loop up.

Need to order another Arrow J-pole to hang up at the barn too, been using the Slim-Jim with good success though!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

well damn, i guess they upped the price. they used to be $70.

Priced scrap metal lately? All the metals like lead are up not just gold.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Replaced the TM-G707 (dual band) today with a TM-231 (2m).  

Dual Band gonna make the Mobile Mo-Bille,  and single band is a hold over till I can find another affordable Dual Band w/o a removable face.

I've been using (very little) this setup in the Barn on the workbench and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out (placement).  

I would like a Desk Mic for the HF (at the least) or maybe a Headphone/Boom Mic combo.  

Some hangers for the hand-held mics would be a BIG help to hold me over-where do you find those?

I have a Amber Voltage Display that I ordered but I can't figure it out?  4 Screw Terminals on back?

anyways, the NVIS Random Wire is working pretty well with 620+ miles the farthest I've been.  South to Hollywood FL and North to Beckley WVa.  

If it ever begins to cool down I'll get the Big Loop up.

Need to order another Arrow J-pole to hang up at the barn too, been using the Slim-Jim with good success though!

You can find some little chrome ones at radio shack, they come with some double stick tape and have been holding up in the car now for some time.

My Icom 706 mic does not have hanger piece on the back, so I used some adhesive Velcro on the Mic and on the box. it works well, oh and if someone does do this, put the stiff Velcro on the box! (I did do it correct the first time by the way )

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top