Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2011 5:47:34 PM EDT
After reading a recomendation by someone on here, I ordered a Slim Jim 2m/70cm antenna from N9TAX.  I liked the idea of having a easily packed antenna that would perform a lot better than a HT antenna that I can pack in a go kit of backpack and use.  Well the antenna showed up and looks VERY well made and wasn't pricey either.  I hooked it up and 2m was great, couldn't hit a 440 repeater to save my life.  Then a few days later got to looking and he mistakenly sent me a 2m only.  I emailed and told him and he said he'd get the correct one on the way.  I asked for his shipping address to send the first one back and he said he would include a prepaid envelope to save me from paying.  Well today the correct antenna arrived with an e-mail saying just to keep the 2m one.  So, I got 2 antennas for $25 shipped.  And the new one works great on 440.  These antennas are very nice and make my HT much more effective.  I can work repeaters now that I couldn't hear before.  Just wanted to pass on a note on a great product and customer service.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, buddy!

I keep one in my emergency kit, you just never know.  I've used it for some local special event stations and it worked great.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
+1

These antennas really are thebomb.com

I have one in my apartment, and another for my go bag.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I like slim jim antennas over J pole. I'm convinced the angle of take off is lower. I have no proof other than side by side tests of copper pipe versions.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I love these antennas, they are honestly priced and N9TAX is a standup guy. when it comes down to it I will always buy one from him rather than try and make my own, he really does a great job with them and for the price no ham, nomatter how good could do any better.

great to hear about him and telling you to keep the 2nd one, one more reason to order from him.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
It's already tuned for you.  You can't buy the materials for the price he sells the antenna.  You can only do it cheaper if you already have the materials.

I have a friend that moved into a retirement community, separate little bungalows.  He can't put up a mast, so has one of these N9TAX antennas hung on the wall in his bedroom.  He hits all 10 repeaters in his area with good signal reports.

Why make one when you can buy one of these?
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
my 2 meter antenna is an N9TAX hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom too, hits everything in the area.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome because I ordered one on Saturday! I need to build a jumper for my HT though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Awesome because I ordered one on Saturday! I need to build a jumper for my HT though.

No you don't, you need to buy one.  

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/4513.html   SO-239 to SMA

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/4512.html   SO-239 to BNC

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:10:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

N9TAX sells one for $9.99...  HT Saver/Patch Adapter

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:14:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After reading a recomendation by someone on here, I ordered a Slim Jim 2m/70cm antenna from N9TAX.  

Which one of the two 2m/70cm ones did you get. The one with the 16' of RG-58 added or the one without? I can't decide which of the two I should get. I too want one that I can add to my go-bag but can't decide which one would be the better choice.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:37:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I ordered without the cable.  I had an adaptor for the radio already and LOTs of patch cables left over from CB days.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 of the dual band N9TAX Slim Jims.
The one with out the attached coax is 35 feet up a tree and the one with the attached RG58 is in my go kit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
After reading a recomendation by someone on here, I ordered a Slim Jim 2m/70cm antenna from N9TAX.  

Which one of the two 2m/70cm ones did you get. The one with the 16' of RG-58 added or the one without? I can't decide which of the two I should get. I too want one that I can add to my go-bag but can't decide which one would be the better choice.

Thanks!

I bought the one with the 16' of cable , and I specified it terminated in a BNC connector.  That way I have an easy connection to my EmComm box and my FT-60 in my Get Home Bag has a BNC adapter also.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured I could build one and have left over cable for future antennas. Is there an upside to buying one?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I went with the one without. It looked like the 16' cable was permanently attached to the antenna without a connector. I wanted to be able to use whatever length I needed rather than having to splice two or more lengths together. I'm assuming less loss using a single length of transmission line. My logic may be faulty as I'm quite new.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#15]

N9TAX sells one for $9.99...  HT Saver/Patch Adapter

that is a very nice addition to Any HT purchase-I'd dare say it's nearly a must have...?

I got one from a dealer at the Hamfest a few weeks ago, and it's made a World of difference in the use of my HT while in the truck!

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Does he use stranded window line?  I was wondering how well they roll up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It is not stranded, but they do roll up pretty compactly and feel like the are sturdy enough to tolerate many unrollings without damaging the window line.
Size wise, my dual-band Slim Jim with 16' of coax and a 3' SMA->BNC patch cord showed up in a 4x8" (or thereabouts) padded mailing envelope and everything was neatly rolled, not crammed in.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not stranded, but they do roll up pretty compactly and feel like the are strudy enough to tolerate many unrollings without damaging the window line.

Size wise, my dual-band Slim Jim with 16' of coax and a 3' SMA->BNC patch cord showed up in a 4x8" (or thereabouts) padded mailing envelope and everything was neatly rolled, not crammed in.

Slim Jim antenna from N9TAX for the EmComm box and / or FT-60R.

SMA-BNC adapter from KC2BHO for the FT-60R.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Slim Jim antenna from N9TAX for the EmComm box and / or FT-60R.

Thanks, the pictures really help.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#20]
oh, I do wish he used more heat shrink, I added some to mine. forgot I had that complaint.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#21]

I have one of the 2/440 antennas.  I have it packed in my go bag w/ a VX6R –– which will spit out a tiny bit of power on 220.  Any idea how these antennas will do on 220, or if I'm putting my radio at risk by trying?  I don't have an SWR meter that will go over 148...

Thx,

-Slice

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#22]
He is a great guy and the antennas have been up outdoors for years for some hams including N9TAX himself. He was making them in the flea market at Dayton this year. If you wanted something special all you needed to do was ask and he would build it right there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Storm just blew thru....bad enough to loose at least one piece of tin on the barn roof.  Unable to get into the local net off the HT with the mag mount tossed up in the gutter....Just ordered me a Slim Jim!!!!!   That won't happen again!  Sucks my new Arrow J-Pole is sitting here still in the plastic waiting for me to get some cable and get on the roof
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured I could build one and have left over cable for future antennas. Is there an upside to buying one?

While the SO-239 to BNC is easy enough, the SMA can be, no, IS rather tedious.

Not only can you use this adapter for connecting your HT or in Big Daddy's case, his go box to the Slim Jim, but also you can use it in your shack, as a friend did, to connect the HT to the incoming coax from his 2m beam up on a tower.  Or in your vehicle, connect the HT to your vehicle's antenna.
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#25]
For guys wanting more info on the N9TAX antennas, they are made from window line, come in several versions, 2m with choice of connector, 2m/440 with choice of connector, 2m with 16' of coax and choice of connector, and 2m/440 with 16' of coax and choice of connector.  The price is very reasonable, and if you were to buy all of the materials you would do well to equal his price. Chances are you can't.

http://www.n9tax.com/Slim%20Jim%20Info.html

These antennas are already tuned.  If you wish, he can tune them to other nearby frequencies.

A review, and from my experience, everything in this review is dead on:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/n9taxslimjimreview.html

Buy here:

http://www.2wayelectronix.com/

N9TAX support for the Slim Jim:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/n9taxbow.html

Personally, I would rather put it inside a tube of PVC.

I have also used this antenna for a special event station.  I taped it to some milsurp camo net poles, 4 sections, which I stucked on top of a PA speaker tripod.  That put the antenna up about 16'.  No problem hitting all of the area repeaters with the little Yaesu FT-1802M running off gel cells.  Just another nice addition to my kit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I got the PVC to make the mast for one this afternoon. Mind measuring how long it is?
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]
58"
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#28]
The first place I saw his antennas was at LaPorte, IN hamfest (very close to his home)  too many years ago to remember what year it was.   Since then he has had them at Fort Wayne and Daytonl.  He makes good antennas.  I thought about using one of them for the wide area APRS digipeater but went with a Diamond 6.5 dBi antenna instead.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 3:45:06 AM EDT
[#29]
On the KC2BHO SMA/BNC adapters...from KC2BHO himself,

This is an updated list of the radio models that my adapters will fit:
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Yaesu: VX-1R, VX-2R, VX-3R, VX-5R, VX-6R, VX-7R, FT-50-R, FT-60-R, VX-10,
VX-150, FT-250-R, VX-110, VXA-100, VXA-120, VXA-700,VX-800, VX-170 (Mod),
VX-8R, VX-8DR (With & Without External GPS unit), VX-8GR (Built in GPS)
Icom: IC-T90A, IC-91A, IC-92AD, IC-T70, IC-F50, IC-R5,  IC-R2,  IC-T8A,  IC-T81A,
IC-Q7A,  IC-M1V, M88(Marine)
Kenwood: TH-D7, TH-D72A, TH-G71, TH-F6A, TH-59,  TH-K2AT
Alinco: DJ-V5,  DJ-X3,  DJ-S40, DJ-G7, DJ-X30T
Radio Shack: HTX-200,  HTX-400,  HTX-245,  HTX-420
Uniden: BCD-396T, BR-330T, ATLANTIS (Marine)
Midland: G-11 (GMRS)
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Part # BGA-76
Yaesu: VX-5R,  VX-1R
Icom: IC-Q7A, IC-T70, IC-M1V, IC-F50, M88 (Marine)
Kenwood: TH-D7, TH-D72A, TH-G71,  TH-59
Alinco: DJ-V5
Radio Shack: HTX-200,  HTX-400, HTX-420
Uniden: BCD-396T, BR-330T, ATLANTIS (Marine)
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Part # BGA-77
Icom: IC-T90A, IC-91A, IC-92AD, IC-T8A,  IC-T81A,  IC-R2, IC-R5
Radio Shack: HTX-245
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Part # BGA-78
Yaesu: FT-50-R,  VX-10, VXA-100, VX-800
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Part # BGA-79
Yaesu: FT-60-R, VX-150, FT-250-R, VX-110, VXA-120
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Part # BGA-80
Yaesu: VX-2R, VX-3R, VX-6R, VX-7R, VXA-700, VXA-200, VX-170 (Mod)
VX-8R, VX-8DR (With External GPS unit-or-mike), VX-8GR (Built in GPS)
Kenwood: TH-F6A, TH-K2AT
Alinco: DJ-X3, DJ-S40, DJ-V17T, DJ-G7, DJ-X30T
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Part # BGA-80-M
Yaesu: VX-8R, VX-8DR (Without External GPS unit)

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I love these antennas, they are honestly priced and N9TAX is a standup guy. when it comes down to it I will always buy one from him rather than try and make my own, he really does a great job with them and for the price no ham, nomatter how good could do any better.

great to hear about him and telling you to keep the 2nd one, one more reason to order from him.

I made one of these a couple years back.  Works well, but unless you happen to have everything already on hand, from the looks of things you'd be hard pressed to do it for less.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made one of these a couple years back.  Works well, but unless you happen to have everything already on hand, from the looks of things you'd be hard pressed to do it for less.

Sounds about right.

I picked up 100 feet of 300 ohm line for 6 bucks at the local hardware store. So that took car of a lot of it, I have made a half dozen or so of them, keep on in the window in the living room, one in my EMCOMM box and one in the car. Gave my buddies and my dad one, since they all bought the HX370S. I can say the roll up antenna is a great tool to have in the tool box.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I got my slim-jim the other day...works like a CHARM-build quality=well worth the $29
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 2:44:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Can someone post some pics of their set ups with these? Im just starting out and my HT is en-route to me now. Im trying to figure out my antenna options now and this will probably do me for the time being until I get more funds.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can someone post some pics of their set ups with these? Im just starting out and my HT is en-route to me now. Im trying to figure out my antenna options now and this will probably do me for the time being until I get more funds.

I would concur with that, and in addition give you a good solid secondary/emer alternative.  I tried to do some photos really quick this morning, not really crazy about them.  I had the HT in the pantry last night as a storm came through, so you all can enjoy some ALDI canned corn

HT with BNC Antenna Adapter installed.  Antenna BNC feed connection is shown just above radio (pressed between 2 cans)

Antenna Connected to HT-Note: the shear angle of antenna wire vs. connector could be dangerous to your HT's life.  When operating like this in the house I usually lay the radio on it's side to prevent any unnecessary force on antenna connection point. (photo is staged to show connection)

Here is the whole She-Bang just outside my back door.  Antenna is hanging on the boxing of the house via a Cup Hook.  You can see the 16' of coax laying around the radio and it's connection to the HT-again see above about shear.

This photo shows the antenna adapter I am required to use with my Wouxun Brand HT to get to the more universal standard BNC.

I hope this helps!  

Canned Corn, the new MS Paint?
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

just order one, if you don't like it, I will buy it off you at full price. not only will it do you for the time being but it will work great in other situations down the road.  this antenna is indestructible compared to everything else on the market. whips can break, they are a pain to pack up and transport, this rolls up easy, it bends, it doesn't break when you toss it in the corner and then accidentally throw a pile of heavy crap on it.  

the crappy heat shrink job in the middle was me, his is the good one at the top.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#36]
is that an RF choke just before the antenna?
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Got mine ordered.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Got mine ordered.

regret you will not
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

is that an RF choke just before the antenna?

pretty sure, thats all it is, since it goes from an unbalanced to a balanced line.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Finally got mine mounted above the roof line. The wife wasn't too impressed but I think it's awesome!

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I have 2 on order. I have a rather large tree next to the house. Would one of these make a good base station antenna in the top of the tree? I have diamond x300 but its a pain trying to figure out how and were to put it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone know where I can get that small SMA-BNC adapter shown on page 1? I just got a ft-60r.
Also what are my grounding concerns when using these. If I put this in a tree and run a line through my window to my HT, would I be at risk during a storm? This brings me to my last and related question 2. What is the best way to bring antenna wire into the house. Im concerned with my situation for antenna placement being to far away from my radio and get major losses from the cable wire being to long. I just want it done safely while getting the most out of it. This will also help me when I get a bigger antenna.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 4:33:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get that small SMA-BNC adapter shown on page 1? I just got a ft-60r.
Also what are my grounding concerns when using these. If I put this in a tree and run a line through my window to my HT, would I be at risk during a storm? This brings me to my last and related question 2. What is the best way to bring antenna wire into the house. Im concerned with my situation for antenna placement being to far away from my radio and get major losses from the cable wire being to long. I just want it done safely while getting the most out of it. This will also help me when I get a bigger antenna.

The advantage I get from mounting my Slim Jim above the roof line outweighs the loss from the ~30' of coax I used. The loss on my particular run is approximately -0.9dB.

You will need: Part # BGA-79,  Yaesu: FT-60-R.

$11.95  + $1.50 S+H (One to unlimited)
(Check or money order only)
(Specify-radio-model)

STEPHEN G. GULYAS
706 LALOR ST.
TRENTON, N.J. 08610
U.S.A.

I welcome any questions or comments at my email.
[email protected]
Thanks.  S.G.G.  KC2BHO 73's
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have 2 on order. I have a rather large tree next to the house. Would one of these make a good base station antenna in the top of the tree? I have diamond x300 but its a pain trying to figure out how and were to put it.

Quoted:

I have one up a pine tree in my front yard. I zip tied it to a piece of  one inch board stock for support, to keep it straight and from flailing in the wind.
The run to my tree means I also have a long feed line. To get as much power to the antenna as I can, I'm using LMR-400 coax.

Until I can get a permanent and properly grounded install done, I use one of these to get through the window. Then a jumper to the radio.

In the event of thunderstorms, I just disconnect the feed line from the jumper. In my area, the duck on my HT is enough to listen to NOAA and two SKYWARN  groups.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had one for about a year now because the apartment I'm in has antenna restrictions. So I unroll it and hang it up outside when I want to use it for my weekly net, then I roll it up and put it in my go bag until the following week.
Been rolling and unrolling this weekly for almost a year and it is still as flexible today as it was when I first got it. The window line really is good quality.

The place I'm moving to next also has antenna restrictions, but they allow plants to be kept on the balcony. So I'm thinking of ordering a second one (2m/70cm), painting it green, and superglue or zip-tie some fake plastic vines to it so it looks like a vine plant.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got mine ordered.
regret you will not
Delivered yesterday at 1036 and was MIA off the front porch by 1215 when my daughter got home.

ETA: Got another one ordered but will have it delivered to the office. Phuqueing thieves.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got mine ordered.
regret you will not
Delivered yesterday at 1036 and was MIA off the front porch by 1215 when my daughter got home.

ETA: Got another one ordered but will have it delivered to the office. Phuqueing thieves.

report it stolen to the shipper, it may be insured

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got mine ordered.
regret you will not

Have you talked to the neihbors? Two days ago a package was on my doorstep that was addressed one house down. I walked it over and gave it to em.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
oh, I do wish he used more heat shrink, I added some to mine. forgot I had that complaint.

I'd like to see the bare soldered ends of the window line coated with something waterproof. I'm going to dip mine in 2-part epoxy.

Other than that, it's a nearly perfect portable antenna.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#50]
quick request of anyone that has theres handy. can you snap a pic of what he did at the gap at the top of the 1/4 wave section. im working on building one right now and none of the pics posted show that area well. and before you say anything, i started this hobby because i like to build things like this. dont get me wrong, i would buy one but i was given a load of ladder line so im only out the cost of cable and some solder.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top