Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2015 10:44:11 PM EDT
I'm looking to get some of this: American Fishing Wire Surfstrand Copper 1x7 Bare Trolling Wire

I'm not looking to fish with it though -- I intend to take advantage of the copper construction to build lightweight field antennas. This is the only braided copper product I can find on Amazon. Is there another economical option I should be considering instead?

What I'm looking for is info on crimping this wire. It's my guess that this would be better than tying knots in it. (I want permanent joints)

What can you tell me about achieving good crimps? I understand that I should be using copper crimp material, but beyond that I'm in uncharted water. Should I use single or double crimps?

What size for this wire?

Any difference for the 30lb and 45 lb test?

What crimper should I be looking at to make proper crimps?

What about the U or Teardrop shaped inserts that spread the load on the loop?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if you can buy collars that small, probably can, but look into aircraft cable crimpers. Should work fine. Used to do it with 1/8th AC cable from Lowes. Takes a crimp tool also.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]
This is an example of the crimp sleeves I'm talking about:

Double Barrel Crimp Sleeves

And the last part - I'd swear I found some small versions of the eyelet inserts for use with fishing wire. Here is a not fishing, defintely industrial example just to show what I'm talking about. (the teardrop shaped insert)

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Good knots will hold.  Try fishing knots or circus hitch if the wire is difficult.

I have tied 5/8" steel wire with a circus hitch (used to secure circus tents) that exceeds the breaking strength of the wire.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, this will not be tied "to" anything. It will be a loop provided for future attachment of clips, pull ropes, etc. (I'm actually thinking of using fishing line as my pull line so I can have confidence the mounting lines will break before the antenna wire)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top