Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok picked up this stuff tonight, is it acceptable for new chicks? Retards at rural king were ZERO help

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok picked up this stuff tonight, is it acceptable for new chicks? Retards at rural king were ZERO help

https://s2.postimg.org/bbuygg1yh/20157313_10214078938518071_5320325994039213521_o.jpg
View Quote
Not bad.  You'll need a spare water container, they break. I prefer horizontal trays to the round feeders, easier to clean/stock and the birds won't poop in their food if they can't perch on the feeder.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Take an aluminum pie plate and put it over the theater so chicks don't poop in it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://s2.postimg.org/bbuygg1yh/20157313_10214078938518071_5320325994039213521_o.jpg
View Quote
I have the same feeder for my hens just make sure you raise it up as the birds grow so they don't step in it, I hang mine for the full size birds now.

I have a spare mason jar feeder base thing you can have if your anywhere close to the Cleveland area (I'm just west of CLE).  I know they are cheap but if your close.

Everyone else covered the rest, good luck with your birds
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#6]
One of my hens won the "Hide and Seek" prize last night .

I usually let them roam the yard (completely fenced and have a dog to "protect" them) when I'm home.  They tend to go back to their run in the evening when it gets dark.  Last night I was next door at the neighbors on their deck having a beer when I decided to go home, lock them up for the night and grab more beer...except I only saw 3 of 4 .  5 of us walked the yard with flashlights looking for her to no avail.  I knew she didn't get nabbed, no feathers, no sound and my dog didn't react to anything.

Anyways, she was in the garden this morning pecking around like nothing happened
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Take an aluminum pie plate and put it over the theater so chicks don't poop in it.
View Quote
The opening in the lid?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The opening in the lid?
View Quote
Basically just using the tin foil pie plate as a lid for the feeder. Poke a hole in the pie plate and push it over the wire hanger. the small hole left by that won't matter much, but it will prevent birds from popping in the food when they sit on top of the feeder (and they will get up there).
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up quart jar feeder and waterer today. Ill keep the others for when the chicks get bigger Ive got a heat lamp, thermometer, now to start working on a brooder so we can get some chicks heading this way
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good for you.

Listen..

If you're going to free range those chickens, buy extra.  You are rural enough that you will lose a LOT to predators.  A LOT.

Plan for that.

Do you have a henhouse in the works?

They grow up fast.  

Two months from when they arrive, you're going to want them out of your living space.

Five months in, they will be thinking about laying eggs.
View Quote
As of right now, I plan on brooding the chicks in the barn. One of the guys I work with has offered me a coop he has, so I will be bringing it to the house at some point. I think we are going to order from Murray Mcmurray so the minimum number well have is 15. Im not sure they would free range without someone being home, so I imagine a run will be in order attached to the coop.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Just scored a 4'x2'x2' stock tank for a brooder on the cheap. Will make a lid using 1x and hardwire
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just scored a 4'x2'x2' stock tank for a brooder on the cheap. Will make a lid using 1x and hardwire
View Quote
That will be PERFECT.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That will be PERFECT.
View Quote
$20 for the galvanized one from TSC. Woman bought it to use in her wedding and that was it. Getting closer
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

YES!

And if you weight that lid so nothing can push it up, you may be golden.
View Quote
Thata the plan, I just picked it up tonight. Where is a good place to order chicks? I have a Murray Mcmurray catalog but the minimum order is 15. I was thinking 10 would be a good start
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah the plan is to just order 15 female for laying. Once we get a good squad of laying females well bring a roo in to start a small flock of meat birds. Well see how it goes
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless food is free, don't bother raising traditional breeds for meat. Takes too long, be too much feed. Cheaper to buy freedom ranger chicks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Unless food is free, don't bother raising traditional breeds for meat. Takes too long, be too much feed. Cheaper to buy freedom ranger chicks.
View Quote
I was looking at those last night. Do you breed them or just buy the chicks to raise for meat?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was looking at those last night. Do you breed them or just buy the chicks to raise for meat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy chicks. I've always been very happy with them. Don't raise Cornish x meat chicks. They needed perfect environments to not constantly die, must be butchered exactly on time, must have exact amounts of specific feed given, etc. Basically, the Cornish x love to die before they should.

Freedom rangers have all the durability of traditional breeds and are ready to butcher in about 10 weeks. Let one rooster go all summer and butcher it for Christmas, be tell everybody it's a turkey. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#24]
May just do that then. Sounds easier than trying to get our egg layers to breed. What do you do with the layers once they stop laying ( 2 years ive been told???)
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#25]
More like 3-4 years unless you keep them going all winter.

I let them retire to bug control.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Stupid question, but how do you stop them from laying...I thought they just did it once they matured
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stupid question, but how do you stop them from laying...I thought they just did it once they matured
View Quote
Don't think you can stop them.  I believe what he is referring to is that some folks add additional light in the winter when the amount of daylight decreases so that they lay at their usual rate.  I've never provided light in the winter and mine seem to lay at the usual rate anyways.  I have red sex link hens, they have been good layers and handle the NE Ohio winters just fine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#28]
We have 10 chickens between 4 months and 4 weeks, 9 females and one male. Male is about 3 months but is becoming very aggressive toward my wife only when I'm not there jumping at her and biting her whenever he can. We have an 8 year old daughter that loves spending time in the run and I don't want him doing the same to her, wife thinks it may be time to dispatch him before he hurts our daughter. I've never killed a chicken (or anything for that matter) before so I don't know what the best way to go about it would be. I want it to be quick and painless for him, I like him but can't have him attacking when someone enters the run.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We have 10 chickens between 4 months and 4 weeks, 9 females and one male. Male is about 3 months but is becoming very aggressive toward my wife only when I'm not there jumping at her and biting her whenever he can. We have an 8 year old daughter that loves spending time in the run and I don't want him doing the same to her, wife thinks it may be time to dispatch him before he hurts our daughter. I've never killed a chicken (or anything for that matter) before so I don't know what the best way to go about it would be. I want it to be quick and painless for him, I like him but can't have him attacking when someone enters the run.
View Quote
I've had to dispatch sick/injured birds before, and a shotgun to the head is painless for the bird, provided you can fire a weapon where you live.

After that, hang it upside down by its feet until it gets all dozy and light headed. Take a razor and cut the artery in the neck, it will bleed out. They just fall asleep.

NO MATTER WHAT: 
They WILL flap around once the body stops getting signal from the brain. Their nervous systems are extremely basic, and the head doesn't do much. They are fully capable of 'running around with their head chopped off' as the old saying goes. Its 100% accurate. The bird is dead and feels nothing at this point, the body just hasn't figured that out yet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don't think you can stop them.  I believe what he is referring to is that some folks add additional light in the winter when the amount of daylight decreases so that they lay at their usual rate.  I've never provided light in the winter and mine seem to lay at the usual rate anyways.  I have red sex link hens, they have been good layers and handle the NE Ohio winters just fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup. This far north, they slow down drastically in winter. Provide them light for 12 hours a day and they keep going almost at full rate. It isn't "bad" for the birds, but they "should" have the winter to rest. Sometimes you just need the eggs though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Placed the order tonight for chicks being hatched on the 7th. Hatchery is only a few hours away so Im hoping to get them next day.

Picked up 3 each of : White Leghorn, Easter Egger, Black Australorp, Barred Rock and Buff Orpingtons

Im pumped
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Placed the order tonight for chicks being hatched on the 7th. Hatchery is only a few hours away so Im hoping to get them next day.

Picked up 3 each of : White Leghorn, Easter Egger, Black Australorp, Barred Rock and Buff Orpingtons

Im pumped
View Quote
We'll be needing some pics of the chicks
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#37]
They will be living in the barn. Thermometer show's mid 90s inside temp on hot days, do I need to worry about the light being too hot.  Larger brooder is in the works
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Past couple of weeks we have been having fox attacks when the chickens are allowed to free range in the evenings.  If someone is in the yard, the foxes do not come in, but go into the house and within 5 minutes the chickens are shrieking and running for their lives.  Egg production has suffered somewhat due to the stress.

Eerie knowing the foxes are watching me from the tree line, waiting for an opportunity.

A new Havahart trap arrived week ago on Wednesday.  Caught a raccoon early this week, then this morning I found this.

Beautiful animal, but it had to go.

This one was a female, and there is at least one more fox.  Very impressed with how well and how quickly the trap got results.  Canned cat food worked well as bait.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Past couple of weeks we have been having fox attacks when the chickens are allowed to free range in the evenings.  If someone is in the yard, the foxes do not come in, but go into the house and within 5 minutes the chickens are shrieking and running for their lives.  Egg production has suffered somewhat due to the stress.

Eerie knowing the foxes are watching me from the tree line, waiting for an opportunity.

A new Havahart trap arrived week ago on Wednesday.  Caught a raccoon early this week, then this morning I found this.

http://www.fototime.com/93F4652D6B7E342/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/92351FCA881F3A9/standard.jpg

Beautiful animal, but it had to go.

http://www.fototime.com/7A40CA6EB1EC116/standard.jpg

This one was a female, and there is at least one more fox.  Very impressed with how well and how quickly the trap got results.  Canned cat food worked well as bait.
View Quote
Good deal!  They are really neat animas but not when its almost, or actually killing your own critters that your responsible for.

I need to get a couple traps like that.  Would be good, and easy to use in a longer term self reliant situation to.

Where did you order it from, and which make and model is it specifically?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#40]
That is a Havahart brand, model is 1081.  It is the x-large size, 43 inches long and weighs 21 lbs.  Seems a quality build.  I ordered through Amazon Prime, and it was $100 delivered next day to my door.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#42]
my chickens free roam my property about 8hrs a day and today one of neighbors asshole weiner dogs ran down the road and attacked my chicks. one of them is missing half her tail feathers and some bite/cuts on her ass. i cleaned the wound and brought her inside on my sun porch in a big plastic tub. she can stand and ate some dried mille worms but im a little worried. these are my first chickens and i only have two. i think they are about 4 months. anything i should look for or do? got some spray stuff from tractor supply for poultry wounds

thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Colloidal silver in the wounds a few times a day.

Not else
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:54:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yep, this, or cleaning the wounds and swabbing on some antibiotic ointment like for any other creature, would be my approach.

Fingers crossed for your girl.

Make sure she's warm enough.  They are not used to air conditioning.  And if the night is cool, a lamp or other lightbulb for warmth in her tub might be a good thing.
View Quote
i brought her inside on my sun porch in a large bin so the cold wont be an issue
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Weve got chicks! All seemed to have made the ride so far. Busy getting them settled in and comfy

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Very cool, good luck with those little ones!

As a Pens fan I find it funny that you have a pic of Sidney Crosby in there, especially considering your avatar...lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Very cool, good luck with those little ones!

As a Pens fan I find it funny that you have a pic of Sidney Crosby in there, especially considering your avatar...lol
View Quote
Yeah I didnt have any newspaper so I had to sacrifice my hockey mag. Itll be great to see chicken turd on his face

Dont hate on the jackets...Im sure this year is our year
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah I didnt have any newspaper so I had to sacrifice my hockey mag. Itll be great to see chicken turd on his face

Dont hate on the jackets...Im sure this year is our year
View Quote
LOL, the Blue Jackets are my 2nd favorite team.  I've been a Pens fan since the early 80's.  Worst case was this past playoff, I was hoping they wouldn't be seeded against each other in the first round so I could have rooted for both for at least a series or two.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top