Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2015 9:26:57 AM EDT
Aside from some trim and a little paint, just finished up my first chicken coop and run.

We have 7 chickens that are around 2 months old right now. We can only have hens so I'm expecting 1-2 (hopefully not more) will end up being roosters.

Coop is 4ftx4ft and the run is 4ftx4ftx16ft. I eventually have to add the boxes to the back of the coop when they get closer to laying. I might expand a bit more so they have some more room.

I'm pretty excited and figured it was worth a share
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks very secure.  Nice job.
They will have that grass out of the run in very short order.  
Can the chickens use that area under the coop?  Hard to tell from the photos.  

I mention it because chickens love to have a place they can hide under and also

escape the rain, snow, intense sun etc.  Looks like it would be easy to open that

area up.
Have fun with your new flock.

Edit = Don't know how to get rid of that red crap or why it is there...

Edit 2 = Now it is gone...this editor sucks.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

escape the rain, snow, intense sun etc.  Looks like it would be easy to open that
area up.

View Quote

It's closed in currently. I ran out of sheathing and wire so it was the only option available. I do plan to open that end up and box in the other 3 sides. Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice work!

What breed of chicken is that and any particular reason for getting them?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice work!

View Quote

Thanks. 3 breeds, of which I recall 2 1/2.  Rhode Island Reds, Jersey Giants and Buff... somethings. I was told they were not Buff Orpingtons, but they look pretty close.

We got them for a couple reasons really. First, fresh eggs (hopefully.) Second, my wife and I have 2 young boys. They will get to learn responsibility, life, death and so on.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
May want to hang the water\food.  Anything butt level or below gets pooped on and in.

Looks ok for predator protection.  Just try and keep out the rats and snakes.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks. 3 breeds, of which I recall 2 1/2.  Rhode Island Reds, Jersey Giants and Buff... somethings. I was told they were not Buff Orpingtons, but they look pretty close.

We got them for a couple reasons really. First, fresh eggs (hopefully.) Second, my wife and I have 2 young boys. They will get to learn responsibility, life, death and so on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice work!

Very nice!

I will have to post some photos of my coup and chickens when I get a chance.  We went with a bit larger design, though I like yours and wish I would have went with something that size.

Our fenced in area is all under roof, which will be helpful for the amount of snow we get vs. your area.

We let ours out for the first time yesterday, I stood guard with my single shot 22lr  They are fun to just watch.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a fantastic idea.  My much older brother put me in that position and it was a great experience.    Coincidentally, my brother had the RI Reds too.  Good layers and they behaved well around people.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a good looking coop and birds look good too.

Just a thought, with a coop that small and the run attached, you could put wheels on it, and make it a tractor coop.  The advantage would be that different parts of your yard would get equal chicken attention.

Over at BYC (back yard chickens) you can see examples of tractor coops.  http://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 on a tractor coop they will turn that spot into bare dirt in very short order

I would also upgrade your waterer and feeders and hang them
something large capacity that you wont have to fill daily
just keep in mind some of the large waterers get pretty heavy when filled
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is what I built this spring.  Still have some finishing touches to take care of but its up and running:

It was an easy design and large enough for 20+ if you go by the 4 sq-ft rule and that's only counting the overall size not the closed off interior with nesting boxes and roost We have about $500 in materials, the metal roof being the most expensive.  We only have 8 chickens this year to "test the waters" but I am thinking 12~15 would be more then enough.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome setup, Derrick!

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

escape the rain, snow, intense sun etc.
 Looks like it would be easy to open that
area up.

View Quote

+1 on this. My run is like 10'x6' but opening up the area under the coop gave them an additional ~6'x6' and an area to get out of the weather but still be outside. They spend a lot of their time dicking around under there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1 on this. My run is like 10'x6' but opening up the area under the coop gave them an additional ~6'x6' and an area to get out of the weather but still be outside. They spend a lot of their time dicking around under there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

escape the rain, snow, intense sun etc.
 Looks like it would be easy to open that
area up.

I still plan to open that area up, but not yet. I'm having some challenges getting the chickens in the coop at night. They're starting to get it, but not completely there yet. If that section was open now, I'd never be able to get them in the coop.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#14]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want chickens to follow direction or get in the coop, get some meal worms from your local feed store and let them see you putting some worms in the coop.

They aren't live, just the husks of the worm I'm not sure why, but they are like crack to chickens.

I can clear an are of litter in the coop put a handful down and I've got 15 birds 12" away from me gobbling them down.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Food needs to be inside. Add any amount of rain and it will be a house fly coop.
Water needs to be automatic. After the new wears off, who wants to go in the coop?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#17]
An update. The chickens are going in the coop on their own! I think the problem was I wasn't waiting until it was past dusk.

Also, I ensure there is food and water in the coop and in the run at all times. I change both out daily too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top