Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2016 12:30:08 PM EDT
Has anyone tried solar watches?  Results?  Buying suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried solar watches?  Results?  Buying suggestions?
View Quote

I got one of the very first as a gift about 16-17 years ago. It's in a drawer packed away somewhere, just a plain faced analog arm model. All I can tell you is that they claim 30 min in the sun will give it 6 months of run time. From what I have observed, it starts running immediately if I pull it out of a drawer or box and runs continuously until I out it back in the dark. It does seem to run for months after I pull it out and charge it, no reason to doubt the claim.

I suspect the newer solar models are much better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got an analog Seiko solar, it runs like a champ. I've left in a drawer for three months, pulled it out and its still ticking and on the correct date.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a few Citizen Eco Drives and a Seiko Solar.  I like the Citizens a lot better.

Looking to upgrade mine soon to an Eco Drive GPS satellite which will always have the correct time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got 2 Casio solar watches. One of them is over 10 years old and still works as new.  Two thumbs up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a few Citizen Eco Drives and a Seiko Solar.  I like the Citizens a lot better.

Looking to upgrade mine soon to an Eco Drive GPS satellite which will always have the correct time.
View Quote

The general consensus is that the Citizen Eco Drives are the best.
I have two and they work fine.

Solar watches are a great thing for dive watches as you don't need to replace the battery and then worry about replacing the o-ring to retain water tightness.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've got an analog Seiko solar, it runs like a champ. I've left in a drawer for three months, pulled it out and its still ticking and on the correct date.
View Quote

Ditto. I wear my Seiko every day. Very accurate movement, and I've left it in the dark for weeks and it still keeps going.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I did the G-Shock, I think its the 3195 model? It also auto updates using the atomic clock so no more setting date and time. So far so good, it feels the same size and weight as a normal G-Shock.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have echo drives and g-shocks . No issues. Some are 15-16 years old. I think the fee is $50 for Citizen Echo's. After the warranty is up, you still need to get the seals serviced. I send them out every 7-10 years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a Casio Pathfinder for a couple of years with no problems.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I had to replace the battery on my g shock a couple of years ago.

It was about 12 years old.

I bought the battery and a little kit online to do it.  Lost a tiny spring in the process, but still seems to work fine.

Haven't had any issues since.

Love my atomic solar g shock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
G-Shock Mudman (model G9300-1).  Durable dual sensor watch that is around 160.  Have had it a few years now, it does the job when there's a reason I shouldn't wear a Garmin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Solar watches are a great thing for dive watches as you don't need to replace the battery and then worry about replacing the o-ring to retain water tightness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been happy with my Eco-drives and I'm hard on watches.  I work on oil rigs, spend a lot of time outdoors including some diving and my sweat seems to be rough on even stainless but the Citizen's seem to hold up well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had a Casio Pathfinder for a couple of years with no problems.
View Quote

Same here- and love it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did the G-Shock, I think its the 3195 model? It also auto updates using the atomic clock so no more setting date and time. So far so good, it feels the same size and weight as a normal G-Shock.
View Quote

Had mine for years. A friend has had his for almost a decade
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a G-Shok for at least 12-13 years, probably longer.  I've worn out about four bands on it, which are definitely the weak point. It has always done well keeping time due to the atomic clock.  When it gets colder than about -10 the face fogs over from the inside.  It has since the first time I went out in such conditions.  However, that hasn't influenced function and I've never taken the time to do anything about it.

I will probably replace it with something that is smaller, less cluttered, and has a more durable band, especially now since it has been sitting broken-banded in the center console of my wife's truck for the last five months.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the OP:  Just ordered a G-Shock GWM500A ($70) solar & atomic.  Hope it works as advertised.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had 5 and currently have two.  Casio and Citizen preform as advertised. Casio Rangeman is about as good as it get for all around end of the world time piece....jm2c.

I did have a first gen Casio ProTrek finally quit holding a charge. Repair wasn't worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Both of my GShocks are solar and atomic.

They both keep better time then my Breitling and Rolex.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is the OP:  Just ordered a G-Shock GWM500A ($70) solar & atomic.  Hope it works as advertised.

Thanks for the input.
View Quote

Good choice.  My son "borrowed" pretty much the same model from me for Infantry Basic this summer.  It survived just fine, but he said everybody that bought the cheaper G-Shock's from the PX (the $40 models) said they all broke or were destroyed during drills.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been happy with my Eco-drives and I'm hard on watches.  I work on oil rigs, spend a lot of time outdoors including some diving and my sweat seems to be rough on even stainless but the Citizen's seem to hold up well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another vote for Citizen Eco-Drive. I own 5 of them and they have been my favorite watches and have been extremely reliable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 2 citizen eco drive .Fantastic watch
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Good choice.  My son "borrowed" pretty much the same model from me for Infantry Basic this summer.  It survived just fine, but he said everybody that bought the cheaper G-Shock's from the PX (the $40 models) said they all broke or were destroyed during drills.  

ROCK6
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input.

ROCK6

I'm the OP:  I've had my solar G-Shock for about a week now.  Came fully charged with correct date & time.  Tested it yesterday to see how close it was to my wife's I-Phone time and our TV time after a week of full-time use.  It was absolutely perfect and the time was correct to the exact second!  I'm in South Texas and the watch sets the correct time every night while on my wrist in bed = doesn't need to be taken off and set by a window as directions say..  Can't beat the price either.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for the Citizen Eco Drive. I have had a pair of them in use for over 15 years without a single issue. I've taken them everywhere, put them through hell and back without a single problem and they are still running great. I did replace the rubber band on the dive watch once because I had scuffed it up so bad it looked ugly but that was just a cosmetic issue. My other one is an all titanium dress watch and its been perfect. Took awhile to trust them and get used to not replacing batteries but after this long, I am never going back to a conventional battery watch.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm liking the Casio Pathfinder so far (9 months of constant wear).  
Mine is not atomic, which is the only critique I have.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had a Citizens Eco-Drive for about 4 years now, no issues at all.
I like the fact that I don't ever have to set the time or date any more.

I used to have an expensive "automatic" watch, never again!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought one of the old square G-shocks about 6 years back, used.  It's done just fine.  Even after several weeks in a drawer, it still runs.  It has an auto-light feature when you roll your wrist, and that seemed to drain the battery during deer season when it spends the daylight hours packed under a jacket.  But it never got below 2/3rd charged.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Eco-Drive Titanium.  200 meter dive watch.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Citizen Eco-drive bought ca1997 in Hong Kong.

Worn almost every day since. Still ticking!

WR 100, Titanium model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top