Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 12:45:18 PM EDT
After some research I've seen the Fenix HL 55 with the best all around review.

Nothing fancy, just white light.

Say you?

V
OUT
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a zebra light a while back, and really like it.  I got the 18650 neutral white flood, but they've got a AA version if you're into inferior batteries

Seriously, it's a very nice light, though a little pricey.  Does everything I need and doesn't weigh a ton.  Doubles as the headlight on my mountain bike...

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a Streamlight "Sidewinder" for a couple of years now and have grown to like it.  

It has  three different colors, white, red, blue, and then IR, and three intensities for each.

It uses either a CR123, or a AA battery, which means you can find a battery at any podunk store.

Headstrap and helmet clip come standard.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Best for what?

I prefer single-cell headlamps (Zebra, Fenix HL50, Streamlight Sidewinder Compact, etc.).  I've been using the Fenix HL50 quite a bit and really like the construction.  I have about a half-dozen Zebra headlamps, and they are all solid performers...nothing fancy, just effective.  These are all just on the edge of enough light to hike with, but more than enough for setting up or working around camp.  Single cell lights are just lighter...often the same amount of output, just less run times.  Still, it's easier to pack one extra battery instead of two.  I do like the battery options for the HL50 and Sidewinder (which you can use a CR123, AA and even a AAA will work).  I typically use CR123's or their rechargeable versions, but AA and AAA are often easier to find in more remote places.

Anyway you look at it, a headlamp is a great tool for any kitbag...having both hands free makes a huge difference in the types of tasks you can perform.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Headlamp

I got the Black Diamond storm.  Just went hunting, it worked well enough for my walks to and from stands in the dark.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always used various Petzel Tika series lights. They have gone through several generations since my first Tika but they are light,  compact, tough and reliable.  I've used them in both personal life and in some trips overseas on uncle Sams dime.

Petzel Tika. Get one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I went with the Fenix HL23.
$35 and powered by one AA battery.
Lasts a long time on low power.
Plenty bright enough on medium power.
Haven't needed the high power yet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#7]
After using quite a few different petzl and black diamond headlamps I have been sticking with the Coast LED head lamps, specifically the HL7 or HL27 which are available for around 30 dollars. I have yet to try any of the fenix headlamps but their specs look great and I have many of their handheld lights.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Those 5$ throw aways by energizsr at walmart.
The last a long time..are plenty bright and are lightweight not bulky.

But im cheap like that and not a flash light whore when it comes to head lamps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using the Black Diamond Storm.  It's a bit bulky, however it throws a nice beam.  It also has flood and red light modes as well.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've always used various Petzel Tika series lights. They have gone through several generations since my first Tika but they are light,  compact, tough and reliable.  I've used them in both personal life and in some trips overseas on uncle Sams dime.

Petzel Tika. Get one.
View Quote

What I use for backpacking. Have been ever since they came out yrs ago. Tough. Reliable. Less bulk. Light. Lasts forever.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those 5$ throw aways by energizsr at walmart.The last a long time..are plenty bright and are lightweight not bulky.
View Quote

This /\ is what I use when camping and hunting.

For utility and use around the house I go for one of those rayovac indestructible.  100 lumens on high, a low setting, tough as hell, and all for $15.

Be sure to go with the home depot one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-Indestructible-3AAA-100-Lumen-Headlight-DIYHPHL-B/202968174

All said and done there are plenty of good head lamps out there for less then $20.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I have petzl 's that I keep in my kit that work awesome but I use the cheaper Ray-o-vac Home Depot ones at work. The cheap ones have been through hell and back. Dropped from top of utility poles, buried in mud pits, and submerged in puddles, still works.

Just stay away from Princeton tec. Been through three given as gifts. Absolute crap...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I just purchased a couple of Nitecore HC30's XM-L2's on Black Friday.  They had good reviews and were 30% off.  Have 5 settings from 1-1000 lumens.  I really liked that you could remove and use as an angled light with or without a clip.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Best for what?

I prefer single-cell headlamps (Zebra, Fenix HL50, Streamlight Sidewinder Compact, etc.).  I've been using the Fenix HL50 quite a bit and really like the construction.  I have about a half-dozen Zebra headlamps, and they are all solid performers...nothing fancy, just effective.  These are all just on the edge of enough light to hike with, but more than enough for setting up or working around camp.  Single cell lights are just lighter...often the same amount of output, just less run times.  Still, it's easier to pack one extra battery instead of two.  I do like the battery options for the HL50 and Sidewinder (which you can use a CR123, AA and even a AAA will work).  I typically use CR123's or their rechargeable versions, but AA and AAA are often easier to find in more remote places.

Anyway you look at it, a headlamp is a great tool for any kitbag...having both hands free makes a huge difference in the types of tasks you can perform.

ROCK6
View Quote

I thought I read on candlepowerforums that Fenix didn't recommend the rechargeable version of the CR123s in their HL50.  I assume from this post that you use them and have had no issues.  Is this correct?

I've been eyeing either a HL50 or HL55 pretty closely, but neither quite exactly hits everything I am looking for, I think, so I haven't placed an order yet. I also need to do a bit more reading on night vision as it relates to red/green/bluegreen filters before I can talk myself into a light that only shines white.

I really need something that has the output to be able to put a boat into the river and run it upstream in the dark, with enough output to see current, banks, and debris.  On the other hand, I need something that I can tone way down, to an output and, if effective, color that is conducive to retaining my and other's night vision when I am not the guy at the tiller.

ETA: I currently use a Petzl Tikka. It works well around camp and for navigating to and setting traps in the dark.  That said, I am looking for something with much more light and it doesn't seem to cost much more money than what I have in my Petzl.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:25:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a petzal tactical and love it think it was around $35 new
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a sidewinder for use as a "tactical " light.  Have a 5.11 brand search and rescue with 6 AA's for search and rescue because it's bright and has good run time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I wanted the ZL H600w 18650 80*spill/10*spot, but I passed at $89 shipped due to my budget.  I then opted for the ZL H52w with 80/10* and AA/14500 battery/cell, but at $64, I was a tad short on my HL budget, so I opted for the NiteCore HC-50 18650 light for $45 shipped, with a sealed NC 2300mAh 18650, so I'll live with that and wait down the road, for the new ZL H603 HL, when the specs come out.

The ZL 602 series is a 120* flood, without the frosted flood lens.  Some have said that the 602s/502s are a great campsite light, but if you're 'trailing,' they just don't have the throw, so one is back to the 600/52 series.

I should get the NC HC-50 Wednesday, or Thursday, so I'll see what's up.  It'll be my first NC light, although I have an i4 v.2 NC li-ion/NiMH charger and that's been decent enough, if not a bit slower than other chargers that I have.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a coupel cheapo's like the ones mentioned above. I don't rely on a headlamp as my primary light source, though. For that, I have nitecore and streamlight pocket/handhelds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Learn from my mistake and avoid the Streamlight Enduro.  It's very compact and runs a long time on AAA batteries, but it takes zero rough handling.  The mechanism that controls the tilt on the head failed within a month.  And it was pretty obvious after just a week that it was going to fail.   I'm using zip ties and a piece of foam to hold it at a useful angle now.  And getting the door of the battery compartment open is a PITA.  I like the quality of the light it produces, but that's about it.  First time in a long time that Streamlight has let me down.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Zebralight h52w is always the right answer to this

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes and no.

If you can stand a little more length/weight in you HL, the 600w might be the better way to go, but you need to recharge cells and 2xCR123As won't work.

The 18650 has about 12+ Wh of energy, to the AA alkaline's 2Wh and the 14500/Energizer Lithium Ultimate's 3Wh, at a 500mA draw, so we're looking at an energy density ratio of 6:1, or 4:1, in favor of the bigger cell.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought the DiamondBlack Icon Polar because it had red light

I spent at least an hour last night surfing for headlamps....  the Fenix was top two in my choices

I had a PEtzl that quit on me yesterday

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes and no.

If you can stand a little more length/weight in you HL, the 600w might be the better way to go, but you need to recharge cells and 2xCR123As won't work.

The 18650 has about 12+ Wh of energy, to the AA alkaline's 2Wh and the 14500/Energizer Lithium Ultimate's 3Wh, at a 500mA draw, so we're looking at an energy density ratio of 6:1, or 4:1, in favor of the bigger cell.

Chris
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and no.

Chris

You are right, that is a great headlamp.

I think the advantage of the eneloops and light weight are worth the trade off in lower output and shorter run time.

I am a "two light guy".  I like a headlamp for what headlamps are good for- hands free area lighting, so light weight is a priority for me.

My second light would be a hand held thrower- like a Nitecore MT21a or Jetbeam SRA40 if you want to stay with eneloops, or a Fenix PD35 or even convoy M2 or C8 warm tint if you want to cheap out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My second light would be a hand held thrower- like a Nitecore MT21a or Jetbeam SRA40 if you want to stay with eneloops, or a Fenix PD35 or even convoy M2 or C8 warm tint if you want to cheap out.
View Quote

I'm playing with my Convoy M1 and M2 lights right now.  I also got their S2, all having the 2.8A Nanjg 105C driver boards.  I went with CW on the M1, NW on the M2 and a really warm, rosy tint on the S2.

I think I paid $65 for the trio with a pair of LG D1 4.35v cells and they've been good "cheap" lights for a couple of years.

I opted for the Sunwayman D40A CW when I bought my 4AA light.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a Surefire Minimus headlamp as a Christmas present a little while back. The body is aluminum and it takes a CR123 battery. It's been fantastic and very tough. I also really like the brightness knob that lets you control output and run time. I probably wouldn't have paid for it myself because I believe it was about $150, but I'm confident it will still be working a decade from now provided I don't lose it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm playing with my Convoy M1 and M2 lights right now.  I also got their S2, all having the 2.8A Nanjg 105C driver boards.  I went with CW on the M1, NW on the M2 and a really warm, rosy tint on the S2.

I think I paid $65 for the trio with a pair of LG D1 4.35v cells and they've been good "cheap" lights for a couple of years.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

It is amazing what is out there for the price these days (convoy specifically).

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got a Surefire Minimus headlamp as a Christmas present a little while back. The body is aluminum and it takes a CR123 battery. It's been fantastic and very tough. I also really like the brightness knob that lets you control output and run time. I probably wouldn't have paid for it myself because I believe it was about $150, but I'm confident it will still be working a decade from now provided I don't lose it.
View Quote

I like the variable outputs, as they're extremely flexible and I EDC a SWM V11R with an AW IMR 16340 inside and short of lighting up a cow pasture, it handles most of my duties.

ZLs are nice and while they don't have a variable output, they have many modes that almost make a variable control ring, moot.

There is a ton of stuff out there and we all have our preferences.  I've held off buying NiteCore lights because there are lots of people reporting failures over on CPF and I've hesitated until I bought the HC-50, so I'll get to see firsthand.

I'm not an 'outdoors' guy, or a 'caver,' so this and my older Fenix HL30 are just insurance policies for down the road.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Princetontec Quad Tactical
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:25:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I am a huge fan of the Petzl Zipka.

Same light module as the Tikka.  (The latest version I have  is the plus,  which has a couple of brightness levels,  a red mode,  and a flash mode.)

Rather than having floppy straps that get  in the way when you arent using it,  and have to be adjusted when you are,  the zipka has a spring loaded retractable string with a base plate.  

Basically,  you just pull it out and put it on your head,  it snugs itself up tight and secure,  but not too tight.  Take it off, and it retracts itself back into a tidy, very small package.

You can also easily put it on your wrist,  or a tree or post or whatever.   I have put it in flash mode and left it to mark the location of dead deer (shot at dusk found in the dark), while I went back to get the game cart.

Heres a link to a picture.  (Dont know anything about this site,  they just popped up near the top on a quick websearch.)

I have had several conventional headlights with straps,  and I am sold on the zipka for compactness, tidiness, and ease of use...

Zipka Plus
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am a huge fan of the Petzl Zipka.

Same light module as the Tikka.  (The latest version I have  is the plus,  which has a couple of brightness levels,  a red mode,  and a flash mode.)

Rather than having floppy straps that get  in the way when you arent using it,  and have to be adjusted when you are,  the zipka has a spring loaded retractable string with a base plate.  

Basically,  you just pull it out and put it on your head,  it snugs itself up tight and secure,  but not too tight.  Take it off, and it retracts itself back into a tidy, very small package.

You can also easily put it on your wrist,  or a tree or post or whatever.   I have put it in flash mode and left it to mark the location of dead deer (shot at dusk found in the dark), while I went back to get the game cart.

Heres a link to a picture.  (Dont know anything about this site,  they just popped up near the top on a quick websearch.)

I have had several conventional headlights with straps,  and I am sold on the zipka for compactness, tidiness, and ease of use...

Zipka Plus
View Quote

Brilliant design.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 4:45:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I have 3 Princeton Tec remix pros that stay in my truck or on my kit.  White, red, green, and IR.

I buy the $20 petzl Tikkinas for around the house, and keeping in first aid bags.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

I picked up an HC-50 last month and it's a nice headlight.  It's my first NiteCore light of any type and I got mine with a sealed 2300mAh NC 18650 for $45 shipped, so a lot less than the $90 ZL H600w that I wanted.

It'll compliment my Fenix HL30, which isn't near as bright, but is decent enough for what I need.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For utility and use around the house I go for one of those rayovac indestructible.  100 lumens on high, a low setting, tough as hell, and all for $15.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/a3/a3cf255a-35c8-4f0c-b3a9-f8d6a5a17c89_1000.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-Indestructible-3AAA-100-Lumen-Headlight-DIYHPHL-B/202968174

All said and done there are plenty of good head lamps out there for less then $20.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those 5$ throw aways by energizsr at walmart.The last a long time..are plenty bright and are lightweight not bulky.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/a3/a3cf255a-35c8-4f0c-b3a9-f8d6a5a17c89_1000.jpg

Those things are bright, rugged and relatively cheap.   Perfectly adequate for anything.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought an Inova 24/7 strobe that also works as a red light/white light LED flashlight. It comes with mounts and a head strap, and has been great for everything I need a light for in the field.

It has an integral pocket clip that interfaces with the headlight strap, mounts and a neat little magnetic mount, so you can mount it pretty much anywere for hands-free illum.

The magnetic mount is also a perfect fit in the ACH NOD bracket on the front of the helmet - it just snaps in. It wasn't designed that way, but it fits, so I run with it.

I see after a quick web search that these lights are discontinued. Well, that sucks...

EDIT: Found a guy on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Inova-24-7-Tactical-Multifunction-Bicycle-Hiking-Walking-Safety-Flashlight-/310384265443?hash=item48445808e3:m:mJHmK3q78_elW7di5akJAKA
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Photo and lights are not mine but I find this magnet clip mod useful on my EDC Zebra:

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Check out nightstick

Hard use headlamps we use on our hardhats at the coal plants.

My tablet is acting up Im working on a link

Eta's

http://www.thefirestore.com/mobile/store/product.aspx/productId/19571/NIGHTSTICK-Intrinsically-Safe-Multi-Function-LED-Headlamp/

They make other lights that are simpler .
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe not the "best" but very good and cheap ($10 @ wally) enough to have in the cars, boats, camper, everywhere.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Check out nightstick

Eta's

http://http://www.thefirestore.com/mobile/store/product.aspx/productId/19571/NIGHTSTICK-Intrinsically-Safe-Multi-Function-LED-Headlamp/

View Quote

No offense to you 'coalers,' but we've come a long way in just the last few years.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Im far from a connoisseur of head lamps- just started using one myself, but im a huge fan of the Black Diamond Spot.

Its got a multitude of light levels to choose from and a quick "tap" feature to switch between spot and flood.

I ended up using it for 8 hours straight (most of which was on high) while checking and rebuilding some fencing spanning around 400 acres the other night.
Super easy to use- even with heavy fencing gloves on.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No offense to you 'coalers,' but we've come a long way in just the last few years.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check out nightstick

Eta's

http://http://www.thefirestore.com/mobile/store/product.aspx/productId/19571/NIGHTSTICK-Intrinsically-Safe-Multi-Function-LED-Headlamp/

Chris

Spend your money as you wish. I actually use mine frequently  and harshly. It doesn't sit in a go bag waiting for a power outage.  If you don't want first hand use experience in a harsher environment than I suspect any one in this thread will put their gear thru, so be it.
As I stated that unit is only one example. I see no difference in type or functionality. The one actually have on my hardhat runs about $25 dual brightness on 3a.

I've used those raovacs/ energizers they are POS.

Like to see an example of how far "you've" come.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I just purchased a couple of Nitecore HC30's XM-L2's on Black Friday.  They had good reviews and were 30% off.  Have 5 settings from 1-1000 lumens.  I really liked that you could remove and use as an angled light with or without a clip.
View Quote
My favorite too.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've had a Streamlight "Sidewinder" for a couple of years now and have grown to like it.  

It has  three different colors, white, red, blue, and then IR, and three intensities for each.

It uses either a CR123, or a AA battery, which means you can find a battery at any podunk store.

Headstrap and helmet clip come standard.
View Quote

I like it too. Its small and light too..

Just about anything Streamlight will be good.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Single Best headlamp i have owned is the Petzel Myo. It is not a tactical headlamp by any means, but has preformed excellent on many adventures, summits, climbs and late night adventures. i highly recommend it
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Black Diamond in the flavor of your choice. I've had Princeton Tec and multiple Petzls shit the bed. They were free so I didn't bother trying to warranty them. Fiance and I use the Black Diamond Icon and Storm for hiking and backpacking. They are a bit pricier than others but they have an incredible warranty. I had a cheap little Ion that broke (poor battery replacement design) and they sent me a new one and told me to keep the broken one for parts. No charge, just a brief little explanation of what went wrong.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Black Diamond in the flavor of your choice. I've had Princeton Tec and multiple Petzls shit the bed. They were free so I didn't bother trying to warranty them. Fiance and I use the Black Diamond Icon and Storm for hiking and backpacking. They are a bit pricier than others but they have an incredible warranty. I had a cheap little Ion that broke (poor battery replacement design) and they sent me a new one and told me to keep the broken one for parts. No charge, just a brief little explanation of what went wrong.
View Quote

I've got a great Petzl I've used for a little over a year when camping and love it.  The Petzl Tikka Plus 2.  They don't make it anymore, sadly.  I'm thinking of giving it to my kid and buying the new Petzl and a Black Diamon for use this summer to see which one is better.  

How's the red light on your BD?
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#47]
The red light works fine. My only complaint about the Icon is the weight because it uses four AA batteries. I'll be getting a Storm for thru hiking the AT next year.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Headlamp

I got the Black Diamond storm.  Just went hunting, it worked well enough for my walks to and from stands in the dark.

View Quote

I got the ReVolt, love it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Just bought the new Black Diamond updated Spot.  We'll see how it works.  I've already got the Petzl Tikka Plus 2 and love it for it's brightness and looong run time, so I've been nervous about buying anything else.  Only thing I didn't like about it is that it dims over time, but looks like they've fixed it in later versions.  Gonna see how the BD Spot does to determine if I get another Petzl or BD for the wife in the coming months.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Amazon Link

BYB Super Bright LED Headlamp Flashlight with 2 Red Lights Steady for Preserving Your Night Vision, Adjustable Lighting Beam for Running, Camping, Reading, Fishing, Hunting, Walking, Water Resistant and Shockproof.

$8.00 Prime (discounted from $30)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top