Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 5:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krazydaddy2] [#1]
The amount of time and effort that has been put in this thread  should never be forgotten. This could help even the dumbest person alive survive the apocalypse.

Page three is mine. Kd2
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:24:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: machinegunseabee] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OODA_Loop:
Bump for a good dude and good thread.

Found many uses for my old Petzl headlamp- has red filter, useful to work on stuff with your hands free - illuminate what you’re looking at.

Been a watch cap fan since Bosnia in the 1990s, have a couple merino wool ones. A watch cap and a 1st gen PCU windshirt have been part of my travel kit for years. Middle East to Manhattan, weighs nothing and takes no space.

Love well-made knives, have a Randall, what travels? Benchmade Bushcrafter in the era of my life when those things were in my bailout bag; Leatherman, Spyderco, sometimes a backup to the backup Kershaw I was gifted.

The Salt IIs and Enduras cut just as well as anything else, are less expensive, can be “gifted” if required, and you won’t hurt your feelz when you leave a trail of them behind in vehicles…
View Quote

Great point on the "gifting" part of things @OODA_Loop, especially when overseas. We have an advantage state side for many reasons regarding knives and multi tools (obviously depending on where you) are so caches, trusted network, etc. go a long way.

Buy quality tools/knives but be ready to ditch, Gift or donate to local law enforcement what you brought, or purchase when you arrive where ever if you have to. How to use something is in the imagination of the user.

As far as loss, yea have a backup or use a belt pouch/sheath.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cacinok:
Thanks, @machinegunseabee for writing this up.  I added a number of items to my go back from your list.

Something I've struggled with is outfitting my kids.  I don't intend to put them in harm's way, but in a bugout situation, you can't predict where the harm will come from.  My kids range from 18 to 8.  My older two could put on my armor and be fine movement and functioning wise, but my younger two, aren't there yet.  My youngest is a bean pole of a little gal 8 years old and 49 pounds despite eating like a horse.  I have no idea how to outfit her w/ armor.  I've thought of the backpacks w/ a plate in them, but that's only one side protected, which is obviously better than nothing, but not ideal.  Kids definitely make prepping a big challenge.  

Regarding night vision ATN continues to make interesting and somewhat useful products - but they fit in the "it's better than nothing" category, IMO.  Also, many of the ATN products require an illuminator to function so you lose some stealth capabilities if the opponent is using night vision.  There are a lot of reviews and demonstrations on youtube.  On a related note, there are some handheld FLIRs at around $500 that are pretty good quality.  Again, not ideal, but good enough to let you observe and make out details of those walking around in the night.
View Quote

You ain't kidding Kids make prepping a challenge.

I decided to go for low vis armor, but for kids I haven't decided on what avenue to approach that with myself. Best approach is probably avoidance just like any scenario, but for ground mobility /vehicular movement or static positions I have thought about purchasing older concealable vests or some of the low cost shields and putting them up inside the vehicle or room to protect the kids.

For observation at this point in our current situation anything is better than nothing I would say, however like you stated about the IR illuminator be aware of your equipments limits and weaknesses.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen "Small" size older soft body armor possibly suitable for larger kids/women available at surplus stores, and even on-line.

Trouble is the weight, and the body heat retained by the soft armor.  

At a minimum, I suggest kids be trained to carry some sort of load, even if minimal, and in carefully-supervised proportion to their ability.  Done right, with care, the kids will can be persuaded to take a little part of their "Fair Share", and be proud of their accomplishment.

Dogs can do the same, although great care must be taken about their carrying too much weight, and their overheating.  Unlike Kids, Dogs can't talk, so monitor them well, and train them, by degrees, to carry reasonable loads.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top