Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 18 of 24)
Page / 24
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:09:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: live2survive48] [#1]
This is a write-up of my BOB. All advice is appreciated. I am a certain beginner, to a degree, how ever I grew up in a heavy out-doors related family. Grown adult camping for 15 years. My pictures seem very large, not sure how to adjust, i apologize.

I chose this BOB because it has so much space and also it has several different pockets and pouches to organize different types of items. It was originally a maroon color, I threw a light coat of spray paint on it to kind of darken it up. On shoulder strap I have a compass.
1st pouch
These are all the items in the main pouch. Minus the water, I’m not sure if I should put in the big bottle or just the small bottle.
Hatchet, boney hat/gloves, rain suit/change of clothes, poncho, survival guide
Knife/sheath with survival kit in handle, then my food kit consists of empty can to cook/boil in, can of ravolli/peaches, pasta/roman noodles with several other snacks inside the pasta box, then I have that cheap mess kit from walmart. I need to upgrade it. The camo fanny pack holds a fishing kit and other items

I call it my fishing kit, but certainly there are things in it that have nothing to do with fishing. It’s also my “catch all” bag for misc items. I could have used a smaller container to hold these items but I thought with the straps and buckles I could always just throw it around my waist and go. OR use it for something else. The items in my fishing kit include
reel, 2 rolls of fishing line, assortment of hooks, sinkers, jigs. Knife/sheath, pad with pen, hand warmers, electrical tape, ear plugs, mirror, glue stick, plastic bags, twine, and char cloth in the aluminum bag.

3RD POCKET: Next pocket I keep some orange hazard flags, band aids, rope, cord, bungee cords, whistle, and a fire kit.

4th POCKET: My next pouch holds a emergency blanket, small first aid kit, cordage, 50 rnds of .22 and then my two primary fire sources.

Inside my two fire kits, The black pouch holds the steel/mgnsm, lighter, char cloth, folded napkin and some homemade water proof fire starters. I have been using and making them for about 15 years, I cut up strips from a cotton shirt or sock, twist it and dip it in wax. They are water proof and will burn for a few minutes, intention is to dry out any possible damp kindling or wood to start a larger fire.
The small metal can. Fire kit #2, holds lighter, candle, fire starters, char cloth.

OUTER 4TH POCKET: This is my most outer pouch.

The outer pouch holds a few pens/pencils, zip ties, flash light, leatherman/pouch, extra knife. The compass is from the pouch on the shoulder strap.

This is my entire BOB laid out. However I have not decided to use the big water bottle or smaller one.
I keep this BOB in my vehicle and I also keep extra water in there as well.
Total weight is about 50lbs.
The only thing pictured that I did not describe is under the mess kit I have a first aid kit, the white box. It is in a separate pocket all too it’s self.
Also, with the design and layout ...See More

This is my entire BOB laid out. However I have not decided to use the big water bottle or smaller one.
I keep this BOB in my vehicle and I also keep extra water in there as well.
Total weight is about 50lbs.
The only thing pictured that I did not describe is under the mess kit I have a first aid kit, the white box. It is in a separate pocket all too it’s self.
Also, with the design and layout of the bag I chose, I am able to access every pocket without having to go through another pocket or a zipper. Which means I can get whatever I Want relatively quickly without having to move a bunch of stuff around.
I do kind of believe in the motto “2 is 1 and 1 is none”, to a degree. So I do have multiple little first aid kits and lighters and knives, I feel like they could be some of the more important items I could need plenty off. Also I have a lot of random comfort items I could probably discard. Like the zip ties, ear plugs, few other items im sure. But hell, they don’t add much weight and they could be useful. This is also a bag I would take anytime camping/shooting, hiking. I would like to upgrade my mess kit and add some type of water purifier either a pump/filter or some tablets. I am lacking that.

Yes, new to survival forums on internet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great, all that camping experience really shows. But I think you got too many knives, I'd stick with just the fixed blade and the multitool. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:50:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#3]
My first thought is way too many blades. Keep one knife if your pocket and a spare in your pack.

What state are you in, is cold weather a concern? Shelter is the biggest concern, then food, then fire. A poncho alone is decent in the hottest parts of the country, but there isn't many nights of the year up here where you could sleep halfway decent without a blanket of some type.

Ditch the canned food and get some freeze dried meals from Walmart, they are much lighter and store well. You might not want to cook in that tin can either with the plastic coating inside, a cheap single wall stainless mug can also be found at Walmart.

Toss the bulky rope and pick up a roll of Zing-it from a fishing or arborist store.

I would say get rid of the fishing stuff as well and keep just a small pill bottle with hooks and lures and a few hundred feet of line wrapped around it, enough to make a trot line. You are hiking to your BOL not stopping to casually fish.

The hatchet might be overkill depending on your goals, a saw is quieter and lighter. I'm not knocking the hatchet, I use one all the time when I camp but for getting to your BOL it might not be necessary.

I would say take everything you have and head out to the woods for the night, just your pack and your clothes, and hike a mile or two and then set up camp and see how it goes. You will quickly learn what you are lacking and what you don't need.

50 lbs is a lot to carry, especially in an unframed pack.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That thing is going to get HEAVY after a couple hundred yards.  Unframed packs with those style straps aren't good for much more than 20lbs, IMO.

I see 3 single-blade folding knives.  You don't need more than one.  They serve the same use.
Canned items are HEAVY.
Compass without a map isn't terribly useful.
MORE WATER.  If you are hiking, hydration is important.  A half liter of water will last you maybe an hour on a hot day.
What happens after you un-tape the mess kit?  Can you get it back together?
What is useful in the survival guide that you can't remember?

It's not a terrible kit, so don't take this as throwing too many spears.  It just seems like more weight than that pack is designed for, and short on water.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sirensong] [#5]
agree with the previous 2 posters--weight is an issue, and you're making things hard on yourself without gaining much capability.  some thoughts (not insults ):

1.  canned food.  a lot of weight there is in the can itself and any packing juice.  look at the nutrition info, and compare the number of calories to the total weight of the can.  you're going to be able to get far more calories per weight with other food options.  check out lifeboat rations, for example.

2.  mess kit.  IMO, this is wasted weight.  you need a vessel to cook and boil water in, but a plate seems unnecessary.  if you have the canned food, the empty can will act as your vessel.  otherwise a canteen cup is more than adequate.

3.  water containers.  you need real ones that can stand up to abuse.  the kind you have get really brittle.  water is the most important resource you have, so it's wise to treat it that way.

4.  tin can for fire kit.  see previous--redundant weight, and not waterproof.  can for the FAK is the same--find a stuff sack or something, and edit the kit down to base essentials (break, burn, bleeding).

5.  tools.  already mentioned by other posters.  if you have the hatchet and a folder, you don't really need the fixed-blade.  if you have the multi, you don't need the small folder.  personally, i go with a heavy bowie instead of a hatchet, plus a folder and a multi.  after dealing with some stake-pounding and wood-chopping annoyance last time out, i may try one of those ultralight hatchets to see if it'll replace the bowie.

6.  mirror looks pretty substantial, and possibly heavy.  ounces add up.  IIRC, AMK (adventure medical kits) sells lightweight signaling mirrors with a sighting hole for a couple of dollars.  book also looks big--wiseman writes a tiny pocket-sized book that weighs nothing, but has a ton of info.  

that's most of your weight problem right there.  i suspect that'd save 8ish pounds, and bring it more in line with a frameless pack capacity.  you still need to add some kind of water treatment options (like a filter, iodine, etc.) though.  and am i missing a toothbrush?  maybe also a little tube of superglue.

that said, i'm a cordage whore too, and carry tape/550/zip ties.  and i'm also a fan of a real fishing kit--i carry a small collapsible rod and spinning reel, and my tackle box is one of those 7-day pill keepers with 5 spinners, treble hooks, and split shot.  whole rig weighs less than 3#, and i've caught a lot of fish on it.

that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.  we all started somewhere, and you have camping experience to help guide you.

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Lifeboat rations have a ton of calories, but they seem to lack a lot of performance enhancing nutrition.  (Why you don't see ultra-marathon types downing them.)
For an emergency of less than a week, you can likely get by with zero food...not fun and your performance capacity will drop substantially!  Personally, if you are planning for short term (3ish days or less), I'd focus food on giving you useful performance boosts and morale boosts.  Something as simple as a power bar or some dry cereal will get you through a good chunk of the day.  
In some survival schools, students can function pretty well on 1000-1500 calories a day, while expending 2-3x that much.  It's not a recipe for long-term success, but you aren't going to drop dead.

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raimius:
Lifeboat rations have a ton of calories, but they seem to lack a lot of performance enhancing nutrition.  (Why you don't see ultra-marathon types downing them.)
For an emergency of less than a week, you can likely get by with zero food...not fun and your performance capacity will drop substantially!  Personally, if you are planning for short term (3ish days or less), I'd focus food on giving you useful performance boosts and morale boosts.  Something as simple as a power bar or some dry cereal will get you through a good chunk of the day.  
In some survival schools, students can function pretty well on 1000-1500 calories a day, while expending 2-3x that much.  It's not a recipe for long-term success, but you aren't going to drop dead.

View Quote

Carbs convert quickly, and pasta is light, easy to make, and filling. TVP lasts about forever dry. No reason to go without, especially if the goal is to get home and you are 3 days - a week out. Better than a sharp stick in the eye anyway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Olive oil and crisco, although a weight penalty, is super dense in calories. Pretty easy to take along enough for a meal per day.

At 110-120 calories per tbs you can toss some in with your supper and get a big gain. A cup of pasta can be nearly 500 calories with it added.

I use crisco because it won't spill, it just hangs out it baggie nice and congealed. Not the healthiest thing in the world, but it makes for great cooking oil when you don't want stuff sticking to your pan over the fire.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking about upgrading my BOB, I like the condor 3 day pack but it's a little pricey, however, I did find this for $40  
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=21895&tabid=548&catid=1731
For a little bit more this seems better
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KDBHWM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CP4UO4J8BHR7&coliid=IYZK85X3ARBGW

The thing with the knives, is hard for me to over come. They just seem so useful. More as tools than as weapons. But I should lighten up my BOB. Also, I'm very comfortable with the current weight.  I have a little experience humping a ruck. My pack is actually closer to 40 lbs after weighing it. I think I originally thought it was more like 50.

The food is just what I have on hand. I have not actually went out and purchase specific food, but I agree that the dried food method may be easier. Maybe keep a can of ravioli just because.  Also I am thinking about getting into drying out fruit and meat. Making my own jerky. But that is for another post.

I really need help with the water. I want to get some kind of filter. I see these filter/straws for sale, very small. But I want something more sturdy. I was looking yesterday and I found a water bottle with a internal filter that was good for up to 100 gallons, and i don't think it cost more than $30...of course now I can't find that same bottle, can't remember what site I seen it on.

Also, I need a better mess kit. I don't even know where to start. I was thinking that this would be pretty decent
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBSZGU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CP4UO4J8BHR7&coliid=I2WEI7AHRD5IUD
And I need a canteen, I don't want plastic. I want something I could heat up if need be. This looks decent.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRII9OM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CP4UO4J8BHR7&coliid=I1UQP920JEVE9E

I might purchase this for food
http://beprepared.com/3-day-mre-food-supply.html

Oh, I really need to add a foam mat.

I originally had a Large Molle II. I had that thing loaded down, had to have been 70. That was just to damn big for a BOB. So I do appreciate minimal weight. How ever, I feel like the weight I have now is ok, I could down size and probably will, but the biggest factor, in my opinion, is the carrying system. The actual BOB itself. Right now, I don't have the greatest bag, but I think if i upgrade it then it could be ideal. To a degree.

And something else I realized is that each pack that I linked to above, is capable of holding a hydration system. A bladder. Something else I might want to look into. At least for hiking and camping.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#10]
Those MSR kits are nice, a bit heavy, but well made.

Don't even bother with a metal canteen, just get your basic GI green plastic one and get a stainless canteen cup to go with it, they nest together so if you have your canteen, you have your cup. You can also skip the mess kit that way and just add a small spork.

I used mine a lot and probably still would if I didn't totally change my system around. I have cook every type of meal in the cup though, it's not ideal, but totally doable.

You can usually find the whole kit, canteen, cup and cover on ebay for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 11:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sirensong] [#11]

Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Those MSR kits are nice, a bit heavy, but well made.

View Quote

this.  my filter is a MSR miniworks (100 gal filter life), and the top of the line is probably the katadyn hiker pro (10K gal filter life).  the former is a bit more robust, while the latter has a finer filter that will remove more (though either will take care of any bacteria).  neither will deal with chemicals in solution, but then again nothing but RO or activated charcoal will do that.

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 2:25:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I would recommend a pack with a frame or frame sheet.  I used an REI pack with a plastic frame sheet for a while, and it is far more comfortable under load than a common "3-day pack" with no real support.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#13]
What about the Gen 2 USMC MARPAT ILBE?  Is that a decent set up? Seems like alot of weight for something without a frame.

Gen 2 USMC MARPAT ILVE $69
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:46:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: protus] [#14]

Originally Posted By live2survive48:

What about the Gen 2 USMC MARPAT ILBE?  Is that a decent set up? Seems like alot of weight for something without a frame.

Gen 2 USMC MARPAT ILVE $69
View Quote

that ruck has a frame.

and 3 day packs,,aka "tactical" school book packs...dont.

guys have pointed out a bunch.

but water,shelter/food are worth more than 5 knives,3 can openers and xx gear,
on a budget,,pick up a med alice,,upgrade the hip belt....then once you log a bunch of miles..upgrade to something bigger/better like that usmc ruck. that is a large 60-80liter ruck. its a tank.

the kelty in the movie below is 4500 cis...i show med alice and bhi 3 day. this was before all the craptastic """assault" ruck craze kicked in....

on the bold- not to sound like an old grouchy dick...but if you dropped a few knives,,axe,,metal cans..other gear choices youd save more weight than worryuig about if a ruck weighs 4-6lbs+(which is avg for ANY non ultralight framed-internal/external pack)
watch..learn....then research. eta- its 3 parts....

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a world of difference between hauling any kind of load in a pack with a frame vs a framesheet vs no support. If you doubt that, you need to try it for a few miles.

Give me a bag with 3 folding knives, two multitools, the knife of Rambo, a tomahawk, saw, axe, shovel, one water bottle and a protein bar and I'm going to laugh while tossing more than half that metal into the nearest ditch.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Surplus german military ponchos make good shelter too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:29:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: evilyoda] [#17]
My car bug out bag is pretty small.
Living in an urban environment, I keep this bag in my car:

Small low key single strap messenger bag, grey and black, does not look tacticoool  ( NOT MY PIC I just used this as an example)

Small fenix flashlight.

Gerber multi-tool. ( I would not recommend it, I broke my file blade, it was pretty flimsy.  

a Liter of water,
Matches, a lighter,
550 cord 50'
gloves,
a towel, emergency blanket,
a small plastic jar of peanut butter
Zip ties, chem lights (2)

I have a tool kit in my truck with an assortment of tools.  But this is designed to get me to my house on foot if I had to abandon my truck.  Most of the time I am only 4-5 miles away from my house so its pretty easy for me to get there on foot. If I needed to carry more I would have more options in my truck.

I still need a first aid kit. Working on the extended bob.
Not really a good kit, but I am working on it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is my BOB list.  let me know if I'm over-looking or over-loading anything.  of course the weapons system is not packed, but in the safe and ready to grab.  I'm still acquiring a few things and getting it all neatly packed.

PACK
•MEDIUM ALICE PACK
•ALICE PACK FRAME
•ALICE PACK SHELF
•MOLLE SHOULDER STRAPS
•MOLLE MOLDED KIDNEY BELT
•MOLLE SLEEP CARRIER
FOOD/WATER
•CANTEEN W/ CUP
•SPORK
•WATER PURIFICATION TABLETS
•WATER FILTER
•BULK WATER STORAGE
•PASTA MEALS
•SNACK FOODS
•OAT MEAL PACKS
•FLASK W/ RUM
SHELTER/CLOTHES
•100’ 550 PARACORD
•TARP, 6X8
•FLEECE JACKET W/WATERPROOF SHELL
•WATCH CAP AND BALL CAP
•WOOL/SYNTHETIC SOCKS, BASELAYER, UNDIES
•CONVERTIBLE PANTS
•SHIRT
•BANDANA
•SLEEPING BAG
•GLOVES
•PONCHO
TOOLS
•BEAR GRYLLS ULTIMATE FIXED BLADE KNIFE
•BUCKMASTER FOLDING KNIFE
•B.O.B FISHING KIT
•TOILET PAPER
•2 BIC LIGHTERS
•DRYER LINT FIRE STARTERS
•CHAR CLOTH
•WATERPROOF MATCHES
•HAND SANITIZER
•COMPASS
•FLASHLIGHT W/ EXTRA BATTERIES
•CONTRACTORS TRASH BAGS
•2 MICROFIBER TOWELS
•ZIP TIES, ASSORTED SIZES
•MULTI-TOOL
•DUCT TAPE
•ZIP LOCK BAG, ASSORTED SIZES
•FIRST AID KIT
•PEN AND PAPER
•SUNSCREEN
•SUNGLASSES
WEAPONS SYSTEM (B.O.B)
•2, RUGER 9MM HANDGUNS
•ROCK RIVER/ANDERSON AR15
•MOSSBERG 500 12GA. (optional)
•9MM, .223/5.56, 12GA.

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#19]
Originally Posted By shimmon:
Here is my BOB list.  let me know if I'm over-looking or over-loading anything.  of course the weapons system is not packed, but in the safe and ready to grab.  I'm still acquiring a few things and getting it all neatly packed.

PACK
•MEDIUM ALICE PACK
•ALICE PACK FRAME
•ALICE PACK SHELF
•MOLLE SHOULDER STRAPS
•MOLLE MOLDED KIDNEY BELT
•MOLLE SLEEP CARRIER
FOOD/WATER
•CANTEEN W/ CUP
•SPORK
•WATER PURIFICATION TABLETS
•WATER FILTER which one?
•BULK WATER STORAGE ?
•PASTA MEALS mountain house? How many? Get different kinds. Life will suck. Life will suck less if you're eating different things
•SNACK FOODS cliff bars? peanut butter? what?
•OAT MEAL PACKS ditch it
•FLASK W/ RUM Not worth the weight IMHO
SHELTER/CLOTHES
•100’ 550 PARACORD
•TARP, 6X8
•FLEECE JACKET W/WATERPROOF SHELL
•WATCH CAP AND BALL CAP boonie, not a ballcap
•WOOL/SYNTHETIC SOCKS, BASELAYER, UNDIES
•CONVERTIBLE PANTS
•SHIRT
•BANDANA shemghah
•SLEEPING BAG pretty important to specify on this
•GLOVES oakley shooting gloves or cold weather snow gloves?
•PONCHO poncho or tarp, pick one
TOOLS
•BEAR GRYLLS ULTIMATE FIXED BLADE KNIFE what does this weigh?
•BUCKMASTER FOLDING KNIFE fixed blade + multi tool = two knives. you don't need a third
•B.O.B FISHING KIT details?
•TOILET PAPER ditch it, baby wipes instead
•2 BIC LIGHTERS ditch one
•DRYER LINT FIRE STARTERS
•CHAR CLOTH
•WATERPROOF MATCHES
•HAND SANITIZER
•COMPASS
•FLASHLIGHT W/ EXTRA BATTERIES lumen, weight, battery type? headlamp?
•CONTRACTORS TRASH BAGS keep these, ditch the assorted ziplocks
•2 MICROFIBER TOWELS ditch 'em
•ZIP TIES, ASSORTED SIZES use 550 cord
•MULTI-TOOL
•DUCT TAPE how are you carrying this? wrap it around a library card or expired gift card
•ZIP LOCK BAG, ASSORTED SIZES
•FIRST AID KIT first aid or legit bleeder kit?
•PEN AND PAPER I would make it a pencil
•SUNSCREEN
•SUNGLASSES
WEAPONS SYSTEM (B.O.B)
•2, RUGER 9MM HANDGUNS yuck. Glock with AA .22lr kit
•ROCK RIVER/ANDERSON AR15 SBR? .22lr kit? optics?
•MOSSBERG 500 12GA. (optional) 18"? ditch it
•9MM, .223/5.56, 12GA. one box each? ammo cans? this is important. Loaded mags or lose rounds?

View Quote

Where are you bugging out to?
Do you have a BOL?
How will you resupply?

What does this all weight?
Ever hiked with a pack?
How are your boots? How are you feet?

Signal mirror?
Tooth brush, family photo (wallet size) and maybe. Laminated piece of scripture - 3 amazing morale boosters

Maps of AO and surrounding AO. No gps? protractor?

Thumb drive with personal info

Money? Cash, coins - you need an alternative for dealing with people - can't shove a loaded gun in everyone's face.

How are you cooking food? MSR pocket rocket? canteen cup? fuel?

Don't mean to sound condescending but the lack of foot powder or mole skin tells me you may be in over your head...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I know everyone loves these new Maxpedition type sling packs, but I have hiked with small bags with wide, padded straps, and they are much more uncomfortable than a standard pack. I mean, think about it. You are hanging all the weight off one shoulder, so 50% of the area. A regular pack distributes the weight better, and is better for your spine as well. This isn't a Steven King novel, it's real life. I only did it a couple times, because I wanted to try a smaller, lighter setup - it just doesn't work as well. If you want to carry 1/2 as much, fine, but carry it 10 miles with the same weight you'd have in a regular pack, and you'll be sorry you did. Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Don't mean to sound condescending but the lack of foot powder or mole skin tells me you may be in over your head...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

•WATER FILTER which one? who cares?

•SNACK FOODS cliff bars? peanut butter? what? who cares?

•OAT MEAL PACKS ditch it  oatmeal is actually exceptionally good idea.  minuscule weight, very little space, and good calorie content.

•WATCH CAP AND BALL CAP boonie, not a ballcap he's not on patrol, and a ballcap sticks out less if he has to go into town for any reason.

•BANDANA shemghah bandana is just fine--he's not trying to be an uber-operator.

•SLEEPING BAG pretty important to specify on this important for whom?

•GLOVES oakley shooting gloves or cold weather snow gloves? who cares?

•B.O.B FISHING KIT details? who cares?

•2 BIC LIGHTERS ditch one 2 is 1, 1 is none.  especially for a vital fire prep that weighs an ounce.

•FLASHLIGHT W/ EXTRA BATTERIES lumen, weight, battery type? headlamp? who cares?  

•ZIP TIES, ASSORTED SIZES use 550 cord zip ties are a very good add, and can do things that 500 can't--like deal with heat. get both.

•DUCT TAPE how are you carrying this? wrap it around a library card or expired gift card who cares?

seems like you're deliberately trying to sound condescending.  maybe the SF has changed recently, but one of the reasons this has always been an exceptionally good community is that people were more interested in helping out and being friendly than with trying to sound like authorities.  this includes the guys who do this professionally--military and civilian wilderness survival specialists/instructors--who tend to be the politest of the bunch because they have nothing to prove.

shimmon's setup isn't perfect--he's got some duplication issues and probably a significant weight issue.  but frankly, his first attempt is pretty damn good IMO.  seems to me like his head is in the right place.  who cares what AR he's carrying?  or more accurately, why do you care?  if the thing functions properly and has iron sights, then it doesn't really matter what optic he is or isn't using--those are questions for the tech forums.

frankly, half of your post comprises demands for irrelevant information, and that's not helpful.  much of the rest is pointless.  it doesn't really matter if he has an american bandana or an arabic bandana or a GI cravat--what matters is that he has something to full that multirole.  you're being fairly insulting over the moleskin issue, but he already specified that he has duct tape.  and it sounds like you're coming from the "everything must be tactical" school of survival rather than the grey man approach--less tactical but more practical.

for more than 10 years now, we've been vigorously debating different approaches to preparedness.  but we have never been GD-style pricks to anyone who hadn't already demonstrated himself to be an asshole.  this thread is for people seeking help on their BOB setups.  if you want to help, help.  but there's no reason to be high-handed about it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 8:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sirensong] [#23]

PACK

View Quote

as i mentioned above, it looks like you're off to a good start.  the real issue is going to be weight--you have some duplications in there, and maybe some stuff you don't really need.  frankly, i don't see a need for 2 pistols, and i'm of the school that says a shotgun isn't really necessary if you're already carrying a rifle--shotshells are heavy.  seems like that weight might be put to better use, or saved altogether (saving your legs/feet/back).  this largely depends on whether you're planning to move by vehicle, but if so you should have a well-defined car kit that you can leave behind if you need to move out on foot.

as i look over your list, you're kinda light on water carriage--this isn't in and of itself a bad thing in OH, but you really should have some planning in place for water routing.  if you can move along a fairly uncontaminated waterway, great.  but if you get forced away from surface water, you might want to have more than one canteen.  this is particularly important since it looks like all your food is dry--a couple of MRE entrees or tuna in pouches will give you some options that won't require so much hydration.

sunscreen is a good add that often gets missed, along with bug juice.  spare batts are also important, and the fishing kit is going to be very helpful in your area.  keep your zip-ties, too.

if you haven't already done so, get it all packed up and weigh it.  if you're above 40# (which i imagine you are), you might start considering how things duplicate one another, and what you really need compared to what might be single-use or luxury items.

it was either protus or tomjefferson who first introduced the 3-day rule to the SF.  basically, spend 3 days out on your BOB (not just car camping), and anything you don't use, leave behind next time.

like i said, it looks like your priorities are right.  now it's just a matter of cleaning up the details to suit your particular situation and your needs.

Link Posted: 5/13/2014 11:00:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#24]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

seems like you're deliberately trying to sound condescending.  maybe the SF has changed recently, but one of the reasons this has always been an exceptionally good community is that people were more interested in helping out and being friendly than with trying to sound like authorities.  this includes the guys who do this professionally--military and civilian wilderness survival specialists/instructors--who tend to be the politest of the bunch because they have nothing to prove.

shimmon's setup isn't perfect--he's got some duplication issues and probably a significant weight issue.  but frankly, his first attempt is pretty damn good IMO.  seems to me like his head is in the right place.  who cares what AR he's carrying?  or more accurately, why do you care?  if the thing functions properly and has iron sights, then it doesn't really matter what optic he is or isn't using--those are questions for the tech forums.

frankly, half of your post comprises demands for irrelevant information, and that's not helpful.  much of the rest is pointless.  it doesn't really matter if he has an american bandana or an arabic bandana or a GI cravat--what matters is that he has something to full that multirole.  you're being fairly insulting over the moleskin issue, but he already specified that he has duct tape.  and it sounds like you're coming from the "everything must be tactical" school of survival rather than the grey man approach--less tactical but more practical.

for more than 10 years now, we've been vigorously debating different approaches to preparedness.  but we have never been GD-style pricks to anyone who hadn't already demonstrated himself to be an asshole.  this thread is for people seeking help on their BOB setups.  if you want to help, help.  but there's no reason to be high-handed about it.
View All Quotes

•OAT MEAL PACKS ditch it  oatmeal is actually exceptionally good idea.  minuscule weight, very little space, and good calorie content.

•WATCH CAP AND BALL CAP boonie, not a ballcap he's not on patrol, and a ballcap sticks out less if he has to go into town for any reason.

•2 BIC LIGHTERS ditch one 2 is 1, 1 is none.  especially for a vital fire prep that weighs an ounce.

•FLASHLIGHT W/ EXTRA BATTERIES lumen, weight, battery type? headlamp? who cares?  

•ZIP TIES, ASSORTED SIZES use 550 cord zip ties are a very good add, and can do things that 500 can't--like deal with heat. get both.
•DUCT TAPE how are you carrying this? wrap it around a library card or expired gift card who cares?

My comments were supposed to be thought provoking.
Sleep system should balance weight, temp rating, and budget
Are you going to be near water where fishing is viable?
A lot of that stuff looks copy/pasted from a generic internet list with zero thought into his situation or AO.
etc, etc.

You seem to be overly sensitive about my criticism and questions.

Without saying that the internet is serious business, I'd like to point out that we're all adults and things in the SF have real world implications. I'd rather come off as a jerk and Shimmon improve his gear and mindset than tell him it's GTG and have him fail.
Call it tough love.
I am sincerely here to help and if I'm out of line, I'll redact
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 1:19:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Morg308:
I know everyone loves these new Maxpedition type sling packs, but I have hiked with small bags with wide, padded straps, and they are much more uncomfortable than a standard pack. I mean, think about it. You are hanging all the weight off one shoulder, so 50% of the area. A regular pack distributes the weight better, and is better for your spine as well. This isn't a Steven King novel, it's real life. I only did it a couple times, because I wanted to try a smaller, lighter setup - it just doesn't work as well. If you want to carry 1/2 as much, fine, but carry it 10 miles with the same weight you'd have in a regular pack, and you'll be sorry you did. Just my .02
View Quote

It has really good features, I got it for riding a motorcycle, its really easy to swing around and get to the contents.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

honestly, i agree with a lot of what you wrote, and it sounds like you have a lot more to offer.  but from the beginning, this subforum was intended to be a friendly place for beginners rather than a harsh GD-style critique of everything.  like i wrote, i haven't spent a lot of time in SF lately, and maybe things have changed.  but the idea was originally to have a place where new preppers wouldn't be discouraged from asking questions and submitting ideas.  less "you gotta have thick skin" and more smiles and hospitality, i guess.

i won't say any more about it because i'm not the forum police and i don't want to derail an 8 year old thread that has helped a ton of people (myself included).  but you might give it some thought.

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:08:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shimmon] [#27]

A lot of that stuff looks copy/pasted from a generic internet list with zero thought into his situation or AO.
etc, etc.

Without saying that the internet is serious business, I'd like to point out that we're all adults and things in the SF have real world implications. I'd rather come off as a jerk and Shimmon improve his gear and mindset than tell him it's GTG and have him fail.
Call it tough love.
View All Quotes

etc, etc.

Call it tough love.

Thanks for the input from both of you, very thought provoking.  this is just my idea list I gathered while reading this thread.  I have started gathering the items, most of which I already owned for hunting, camping, ect..  my list is long and do plan to live out of the bag to help me evaluate it and remove and add stuff as needed.  so every bit of help is appreciated.

in reality I don't really plan to bug out of my home, I live on 50 acres, 1/2 woods 1/2 farm land, with a pond and creek.  but was building it if we were forced out of the house.  

WATER FILTER: still shopping for this one
SNACK FOODS: nuts, cliff bars, M&M's
OAT MEAL: I'm going to keep as its easy to prepare and light, plus I eat it regularly so it would give me the feeling of normalcy
HATS: I'm a hat kind of guy, so going to stick with both.
BANDANA: would offer multiple uses for its weight
SLEEPING BAG: I have 2 different ones for different season, rotated as needed.
BOB FISHING KIT: many ponds and lakes in my area. 6 hooks of multiple sizes, sinkers of different sizes, 2 small bobbers, small spool of fishing line 8lb test  
BIC LIGHTERS: 2 lighters weight next to nothing and don't take up much space
FLASH LIGHTS: Maglite XL50 (139 lumen, weight 3.68 oz.) Energizer headlamp, both LED and run on AAA batts (extra batteries also packed)
ZIP TIES: also light and easy to pack, but they are a 1 and done kinda thing... I do keep 550 as well
DUCT TAPE: I have not taken it off the roll yet, but will be going on a card or possibly my pen/pencil

but I do want to thank you both again for checking out my list and helping me get some more thoughts.  once I "complete" my BOB i'll get some pics and a finalized list... but is a BOB ever complete or is it always changing with the season, technology, item availability...

EDIT: i'll touch on the other items I didn't in the above post.

BULK WATER STORAGE: 2 quart collapsible canteen,
PASTA MEALS: assorted flavors, very good point
FLASK: yeah this was added for a backpacking list I had, but probably not very useful in B.O. situation
PONCHO, just a cheap pocket one, might be good for other uses; rain water collection, putting over my pack while carrying it, etc
GLOVES: leather/mesh mechanix gloves and some cheap jersey gloves
BEAR GRYLLS ULTIMATE: it's heavy 14oz, but has multiple uses, has fire starter, knife sharpener... pretty decent knife really
BUCKMASTER KNIFE FOLDER: its actually browning, but you're right don't need it as my multitool and fixed blade will do, plus my EDC knife would be on hand too
MICROFIBER TOWELS: gonna take it down to 1, thought it would good for washing myself and canteen cup... but might be able to use the bandana instead...
FAK: still shopping for this, probably adventure medical, but have a generic homemade kit for now.
PEN AND PAPER: I think I will add a pencil, wont dry out and might be able to use the shavings as fire starter...
BOB WEAPONS SYSTEM: probably just have my EDC ruger SR9c and AR15 (3-9X scope with BUIS)

other BOB WEAPONS thoughts: if it does hit the fan, the wife will have her .380 bersa thunder and also will pack the marlin 22.

the Mossberg 500 does have 18" and stock hunting barrel, birds are easier to hunt with a scatter gun.
I just don't want to leave any weapons behind... but I can pack them all :(

thanks again for your thoughts!
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Thanks for the input from both of you, very thought provoking.  this is just my idea list I gathered while reading this thread.  I have started gathering the items, most of which I already owned for hunting, camping, ect..  my list is long and do plan to live out of the bag to help me evaluate it and remove and add stuff as needed.  so every bit of help is appreciated.

in reality I don't really plan to bug out of my home, I live on 50 acres, 1/2 woods 1/2 farm land, with a pond and creek.  but was building it if we were forced out of the house.  

OAT MEAL: I'm going to keep as its easy to prepare and light, plus I eat it regularly so it would give me the feeling of normalcy
BOB FISHING KIT: many ponds and lakes in my area. 6 hooks of multiple sizes, sinkers of different sizes, 2 small bobbers, small spool of fishing line 8lb test  
FLASH LIGHTS: Maglite XL50 (139 lumen, weight 3.68 oz.) Energizer headlamp, both LED and run on AAA batts (extra batteries also packed)
ZIP TIES: also light and easy to pack, but they are a 1 and done kinda thing... I do keep 550 as well
DUCT TAPE: I have not taken it off the roll yet, but will be going on a card or possibly my pen/pencil

but I do want to thank you both again for checking out my list and helping me get some more thoughts.  once I "complete" my BOB i'll get some pics and a finalized list... but is a BOB ever complete or is it always changing with the season, technology, item availability...

FLASK: yeah this was added for a backpacking list I had, but probably not very useful in B.O. situation
PONCHO, just a cheap pocket one, might be good for other uses; rain water collection, putting over my pack while carrying it, etc
BEAR GRYLLS ULTIMATE: it's heavy 14oz, but has multiple uses, has fire starter, knife sharpener... pretty decent knife really
BUCKMASTER KNIFE FOLDER: its actually browning, but you're right don't need it as my multitool and fixed blade will do, plus my EDC knife would be on hand too
MICROFIBER TOWELS: gonna take it down to 1, thought it would good for washing myself and canteen cup... but might be able to use the bandana instead...
FAK: still shopping for this, probably adventure medical, but have a generic homemade kit for now.
PEN AND PAPER: I think I will add a pencil, wont dry out and might be able to use the shavings as fire starter...
BOB WEAPONS SYSTEM: probably just have my EDC ruger SR9c and AR15 (3-9X scope with BUIS)

other BOB WEAPONS thoughts: if it does hit the fan, the wife will have her .380 bersa thunder and also will pack the marlin 22.

the Mossberg 500 does have 18" and stock hunting barrel, birds are easier to hunt with a scatter gun.

View All Quotes

etc, etc.

Call it tough love.

You're headed in the right direction
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#29]

I have been keeping a record of all the stuff in my bob, the weight, the cost and where to buy it. Did so much research... it's exhausting. My bob is just right for me, but won't be for everyone. You could buy all the stuff I have from the amazon link, but customize and make it your own.

I have it all sorted by category. There are totals for each category. Weight will be very important, since you can only get so far on foot based on your load.

I did not include the weight or price of water, food, guns and ammo.

My BOB is a little on the heavy side, and thus is always a work in progress. Will work on getting a pic of everything at once later. Some weights have a ?, that's because it is approximate or too light to include.

[STRIKE]My bag has been able to easily fit all the stuff below and then some, with the exception of the sleeping bag, tent and tent roll. I have more room and could possible fit that stuff inside, but I have it strapped to the pack instead of inside.[/STRIKE]

With some shifting and organizing, everything fits inside except my sleeping bag and there is still more room. I'll add some pics of what it looks like packed later.

Shelter
Brand New Fashion Us Waterproof Hooded Ripstop Wet Festival Rain Poncho Black
1.1lbs
$35.88
Click here for Amazon link

Liner ACU Digital Previously Issued
2lbs?
$34.99

Zippo Hand Warmer
4oz/.25lbs
$13.15

Rothco 550lb. Type III Nylon Paracord X34.8oz X 3/14.4oz/.9lbs
$8.49X 3

Texsport Reinforced Rip-Stop Polyethylene Tarp (Camouflage, 12 x 16-Feet)
7.2oz/.45lbs
$20.99

Olive Drab Army Issue Foam Sleeping Pad Mat - 24 x 72 x 3/8, Survival/Camping
?
$20.64
Click here or Amazon link

Military Modular Sleep System 4 Piece with Goretex Bivy Cover and Carry Sack
12lbs
$129.95

Alpinismo 4 Season Tent with Aluminum Poles
6.5lbs
$155.45

Blizzard Survival Sleeping Bag (Bivvy) - Tactical / Reversible
13.3oz/.83lbs
$39.95

Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (Pack of 10)1lb
$9.90

Shelter  Total
25.03lbs
$486.37

Water & Food
Condor HCB Molle Hydration Carrier With 2.5 L Bladder - Black
2lbs
$40.00

3 N 1 Stainless Steel Camping Hiking Emergency Eating Utensil Set, Knife, Fork & Spoon
2.6oz/.16lbs
$5.33

Texsport Black Ice The Scouter Hard Anodized Cook Set
1.8lbs?
$22.03

Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods
1.2lbs?
$10.50

Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter Water Filter
?
$67.99

Potable Aqua Plus Water Purification Tablets
$7.99

Water & Food Total
5.16lbs
$153.84

Fire
Zippo Black Crackle Lighter
2oz/.125lbs
$12.35

Magnesium Fire Starter
1.4oz/.0875lbs
$4.39

UCO Stormproof Match Kit with Waterproof Case, 25 Stormproof Matches and 3 Strikers
5oz?.31lbs
$7.41

Fire Total
.52lbs
$24.15

Equipment
Signal Mirror - 2"x 3" Pouch - Olive Drab
2.1oz/.13lbs
$10.28

JetScream Whistle.3oz/.02lbs$5.63Click here for Amazon link
Huntington MG1 Military Bearing / Lensatic Compass, Professionally Liquid-Dampened,Full Metal Body with Bearing Prism / Lens System (K4580 GR US)
1.8oz/.11lbs
$14.45

Solar Powered Backup Battery and Charger for Portable Devices
3.5oz/.22lbs
$24.29

Unisex Tactical 5.11 Durable Rush Tier Rifle Sleeve
3lbs?
$43.60

Coghlan's Signal Mirror
?
$10.30

5.11 Rush 72 Back Pack
3lbs
$142.85

5.11.58722 H20 Carrier
3lbs?
$23.29

Condor Tactical Cap - BLACK
12oz/.75lbs
$9.99

Gerber 22-01769 Shard Keychain Tool
?
$6.35

Leatherman Wave Black Oxide Finish Multi Tool with Nylon MOLLE Sheath , 830246
11.2oz/.7lbs
$68.90

Estwing E24A Sportsman's Hatchet Metal Handle
1.6lbs
$26.99

Condor Tactical Belt
1lb?
$15.95

Gerber 30-000075 E-Tool Folding Spade with Serrated Blade
2.6lbs
$45.08

Lansky Dual Grit Sharpener
8.8oz/.55lbs
$7.68

Condor Drop Leg Dump Pouch - Black
.99lbs
$21.95

Condor Tornado Tactical Leg Holster
?
$25.95

Midland XT511 GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Radio
3lb
$64.99

Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair)
3.2lb
$62.30

Israeli Civilian Gas Mask with NBC NATO Filter and Drinking Hydration Tube
1lb
$30.90

Equipment Total
24.87lbs
$661.63

First Aid
U.S. Army Special Forces Medical Handbook
1.1lbs
$18.79

UNIFY Silk Sutures - MEDIUM (FS-2/C-13) 19mm Reverse Cutting 3/8 Circle Needle. 3-0, 18"/45 cm Thread. 12 Per Box
3oz/.19lbs
$21.29
Currently Unavailable on Amazon

Pac-Kit 13-010 Burn Gel Packet (Box of 6)
3oz/.19lbs
$9.19

Where There Is No Dentist
14.4oz/.9lbs
$14.11

Ammonia Inhalant 33 cc 10 per box
8oz?/.5lbs
$5.35

Where There Is No Doctor
1.6lbs
$19.42

AMK - Quikclot Sport Pack
1.75oz X2/3.5oz/.22lbs
$14.99

Prestige 5.5 inch Nurses Utility Scissors
1.6oz/.1lbs
$3.85

Condor Rip-Away EMT Pouch
1lb
$18.35

C-A-T Combat Application Tourniquet All black version
3.2oz/.2lbs
$27.43

Tactical Trauma Dressing, Israeli Bandage, 4 Inch X 6
2.5oz X6/15oz/.94lbs
$37.80

O+ Blood tag
?
$8.99

Medic Cross Tactical Patch - Olive & Black
?
$5.85

Nuclear Anti Radiation Tablets KIO3 170 mg Potassium Iodate
?
$11.37

Rad Sticker
?
$4.90

First Aid Total
5.84lbs
$212.72

Protection
Cold Steel Kukri Machetes
3lbs?
$24.29

New Swedish Mil. Mora Knife
4oz/.25lbs
$15.49

Protection Total
3.25lbs
$39.78

Gear Total
64.42lbs
$1578.49
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#30]
... nice!
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow jerhyn,with link and everything.

Now just start doing some ruck's with it and see how it works for you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jerhyn:

Gear Total
64.42lbs
$1578.49
View Quote

64lbs without water?  What kind of pack are you using?
Are you in shape for infantry ops?  That kind of weight would destroy most people within a day or two, unless they are fresh back from patrols in SW Asia.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Are you in shape for infantry ops?  That kind of weight would destroy most people within a day or two, unless they are fresh back from patrols in SW Asia.
View All Quotes

Gear Total

64.42lbs

$1578.49

i'm going to agree with this--some people can carry that amount without too much trouble, but most of the time, lighter is better.  as i look through the pack list (which is really presented well--the links are a great touch), i wonder if that load could be made much more manageable without too much loss of practical capability.  i have my eye on a few groups in particular.

shelter, 25#:

some people gripe about how heavy the military sleep system is, but to my mind, it's a no-worries arrangement.  you know it's going to perform satisfactorily.  so there's half the shelter weight right there, and i don't think that's misallocated or anything.  but then there seems to be some duplicates.  the MSS has a bivy, but then there's another bivy--that's a pound.  and then there are ten (10) space blankets--that's another pound.  and then there's a tarp.  great pack item, but is it necessary with the other stuff?  and then there's a full tent, on top of the two bivys, the tarp, and the poncho.  

to my mind, the whole point of lugging the weight of the MSS is to eliminate all that other stuff.  i think this all goes back to the concept of what a BOB is intended to do--keep you alive while you're mobile rather than keep you comfortable while you're stationary.  from that perspective, a lot of the weight starts to look like comfort gear rather than survival gear.  for most people, a BOB is to get you from dangerous point A to more secure point B instead of being a general camping arrangement.

so were it me, i would only deal with the weight of the MSS if i was going to cut out all the other stuff.  it'd keep me plenty warm, so i'd ditch the space blankets and the poncho liner (presuming i had a good coat).  it has a bivy, so i'd ditch the other bivy and the tent.  and since i need to carry a poncho anyway, i'd ditch the tarp.  

that brings this group down from 25# to 14#.  

equipment: 25# (28# w/ machete):

IMO, there is even more weight to be saved here, based on good planning.  the items i have my eye on are:

-battery charger (3.5#)

-rifle sleeve (3#)

-multitool (0.5#)

-mora knife (0.5#)

-hatchet (1.5#)

-Etool (2.5#)

-sharpener (0.5#)

-dump pouch (1#)

-3 radios (6.2#)

-machete (3#)

total: ~22#

now, i'm not saying any of that stuff is bad.  what i'm wondering about is how it all fits into the E&E plan.  again, what is this BOB intended to help you accomplish?  personally, instead of stuff i might need,  i think of my BOB as the stuff i can't get by without.  and i think of in terms of 2 weeks (which is longer than most people pack for).

from that perspective, there's an awful lot of tools going on here.  you have 2 knives, a hatchet, a machete, and a shovel.  now, a shovel is a useful thing, but i wonder what specific need it fulfills when on the run from the zombies.  don't get me wrong--i have an etool too, but i keep it in a separate group of gear and not my BOB itself (because it's not something i can't get by without).  i just don't see an urgent need to dig, and if i encounter that...why not use the machete?  if you need to chop something, you have the machete, the hatchet, and even the etool.  why all 3?  a sharpener is not a bad idea, but why not a diamond flat that weighs an ounce?

personally, i only carry a multi (tools), a folder (knife work), and a bowie (chopping, digging, bragging).  there are things i can't do with that setup (pounding tent stakes sucks), but it weighs 3# instead of 8#.  and the stuff it can't do can probably be done with field expedient tools, or i can get by without.

then there are the electronics.  now, it's great that you're thinking in terms of logistics and sustaining your capabilities, but how long are you planning to be out in the wild?  if it's less than 2 weeks, i would suggest that you'd be better served with 1# of backup batteries than with a 3.5# battery charger.  the crank radio is a good idea, but why the additional pair of GMRS?  if your crank is a 2-way, and it doesn't need batts, why even bother with the additional weight of the battery versions?  this would save the weight of both the radios and the batteries.  sure it would be more convenient to have the handhelds, but i don't know how much we can afford to be thinking about convenience.

and i think we have a tendency to waste a lot of weight on tactical nylon.  that stuff is heavy.  i have an advantage, in that my rifle sleeve is built into my pack.  but i don't know about the dump pouch or the drop-leg rig.  most of the service guys say that the leg rig is terribly uncomfortable while rucking, and that the dump pouch isn't necessary at all.  and the ultralight specialists (who know more about this than most of us) say that it's easy to lug around 10-12 extra pounds of pouches, stuff sacks, and whatnot without ever realizing it.  now, you have to deal with CA gun stupidity, so the rifle sleeve might be a good idea.  but give it some thought--weigh up all your load bearing nylon and see what you might be able to live without.

were it me (and i'm not saying that my way is the best way), i would probably jettison the solar battery and go with a simple solar recharger or extra batts.  i'd also dump the battery GMRS pair, along with the hatchet, machete, and etool.  i'd find a lighter sharpener, dump the dump pouch, and try to find a more workable rifle carriage solution.

that would bring this group down from 28# to ~15#

right there, you would have saved 24#--38% of your pack weight.  that might not sound like much, but even just a 24# pack starts getting annoyingly heavy in the mountains.  it would reduce your load to a much more manageable 40# instead of 64.  and over 10% of that remaining 40# is in books.

i guess what really gives me pause is that your listed weight is very heavy, and it doesn't include the two things that you absolutely cannot live without--water and food.  fill your water bladder, put it in the carrier, and weigh it all together--you're looking at 6 more pounds.  and even if you go very light on food, you're still looking at 5#.  that brings you up to 75# in your current configuration.

now add a weapon and ammunition.  all told, you're looking at a 90# load.  that sucks carrying in flat land--if you're anywhere near the mountains, it's absolutely punishing.

this has been ridiculously long, but i'm not trying to be harsh.  your setup has to be tailored for your specific needs (length/conditions of travel, destination, climate, etc.).  no one knows your goals, plan, and situation better than you.  but i'd encourage you to sit down and actually plan out what you intend to do, then tailor your BOB around that instead of packing everything that might be handy.  

you might want to go back through and read the posts by protus on how to get the most use out of the least weight.  other posters have also given some very good advice along these lines.  hell--i should listen more often--my gear is pushing 40#, and most guys think that's too heavy (and so do i, after a day of walking).  

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#34]
this has been ridiculously long, but i'm not trying to be harsh.  your setup has to be tailored for your specific needs (length/conditions of travel, destination, climate, etc.).  no one knows your goals, plan, and situation better than you.  but i'd encourage you to sit down and actually plan out what you intend to do, then tailor your BOB around that instead of packing everything that might be handy.  

you might want to go back through and read the posts by protus on how to get the most use out of the least weight.  other posters have also given some very good advice along these lines.  hell--i should listen more often--my gear is pushing 40#, and most guys think that's too heavy (and so do i, after a day of walking).  

View Quote

You put it nicer than I would have.

I left a few things worth saying twice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

sorry if i came off as an asshole before.  i've just seen too many new preppers stomped on other forums, and am probably oversensitive to it here.  i'd say that most of us were pretty clueless when we first started.

if it tells you anything, my first BOB included a crescent wrench and screwdriver, because hey--that stuff can be extremely useful, and i didn't have a scale.  when i posted it here, the guys were...diplomatic.  i forget who it was (this was like 10 years ago), but someone wrote "tell you what--go squat that thing 100 times and get back to us on the weight issue."  

i think i made it to 60 before i started dumping gear.

seriously, i think everyone should do this--you don't even need to leave your house.  go squat your BOB (thighs parallel to the floor) 100 times.  the thing is, you have to do all 100 without taking a break, even if that means stopping quickly to dump gear.  at the end, look at the stuff you dumped and evaluate whether or not you really need it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought I would mention that civilian backpackers have gone to the nicer internal frame 40L to 60L or 80L packs.  By "nicer", the mid priced to high end stuff seen at REI and competitors.

2 or 3oz canister mounted "butane" stoves are very common and work fantastic.  Cookware depends on what you want to cook.  If I'm eating freeze dried on the John Muir Trail, its  1L titanium.  If I'm hunting at the same altitudes its 2L, and in aluminum, sized to fit stuff I plan on shooting or catching.  Alcohol is pretty reliable, but more suitable for trips where you don't have big mileage goals to make, like making it to the BOL.  It just plain does not cook fast.  May or may not be a problem for you.

If you can keep them dry, expensive down bags squeeze down wonderfully small.

Your bob could be stocked much worse, than with a few strategic pieces of high end backpacking gear.  These days, so-called high speed civilian backpacking gear is going to usually be the best game in town, if it will do what you want.   When I hunt, I just add guns and ammo to my civilian backpack, and away I go.

I saw almost no external frames on the JMT.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I disagree that alcohol will not cook fast. I have an old 'spirit' stove made in the 1800's and it'll boil water in about three minutes. If you are doing high mileage, taking some down time to rest is important also. It's the design of the stove which counts, not the fuel. Alcohol can be an issue at extremely high altitudes, but I've used mine over 10,000 feet with no issues. I did have it flame out and set the entire stove on fire once in a very high wind in Oregon, which scared the hell out of me, but I'd rather be in that situation with alcohol than another, more volatile fuel. I found that alcohol also goes a long way - sips fuel compared to white gas stoves IMO, and is self-pressurizing. Still my favorite, even though adjusting the flame is impossible.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: California14er] [#38]
Yeah, after posting that, I knew I'd run afoul of the alcohol crowd  of which I are one FWIW.

My canister stoves boil a Liter of water in 3 or 4 mins.  My Trangia burner does it in 10 or 15 mins IME, just like the mfg says.  This is dependent on water temps, wind, and altitude, of course. Seems like everything is colder and windier at altitude, plus takes more fuel to simmer stuff due to the lower boiling point causing increased cooking times.  So, BO @ sea level?

Like I say, if spending extra time cooking isn't a problem, alcohol may be for you.  The price sure is right.  My Trangia 25 and Caldera Cone don't boil near as fast as my white gas or canister stoves.  On hunting trips, where I often don't have a particular destination in mind, alcohol is great.  It is dead quiet, there's nothing to break on the stove, and reliability is very high.  A simmer ring means that you can simmer maybe better than your gas stove at home.  The increased time to boil is not a factor, when all you're doing is sneaking around all day.  Holding still waiting for a leisurely boil counts as sneaking, in my book.  Find a good hide site, and scan for animals whilst stirring your chicken and rice soup.

If I had bigtime mileage goals, the leisurely part of alcohol stove cooking would drive me nuts.  Right stove for right situation.  People could even modify their goals to make their equipment right for the expected situation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Anti archive bump
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Weight often fixes itself, my BOB was 55 pounds 4 years ago, but when I went hiking with it I realized I was as young as I used to be.  It sits at around 40 pounds now.  A few things to remember:

1. If you have a family, you may have to take their needs into account (if you have all young daughters like me...more weight for you :)
2. Wagons are extremely useful
3. If you are in an area where fresh water is easily available or found, just carrying purification tabs or camp filter might be worthwhile.
4. Consider where your bug out might be ( I have been displaced by wildfires out here, so being able to bring supplies with me while I stayed at a friends house helped tremendously)
5. Coordinate with like minded folks in your AO. (I know if SHTF I will consider every male a suspected therapist and may be unnecessarily hostile)
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Squigglez:
Weight often fixes itself, my BOB was 55 pounds 4 years ago, but when I went hiking with it I realized I was as young as I used to be.  It sits at around 40 pounds now.  A few things to remember:

1. If you have a family, you may have to take their needs into account (if you have all young daughters like me...more weight for you :)
3. If you are in an area where fresh water is easily available or found, just carrying purification tabs or camp filter might be worthwhile.
4. Consider where your bug out might be ( I have been displaced by wildfires out here, so being able to bring supplies with me while I stayed at a friends house helped tremendously)
5. Coordinate with like minded folks in your AO. (I know if SHTF I will consider every male a suspected therapist and may be unnecessarily hostile)
View Quote

Not sure if this was intentional or Freudian, but it is funny!

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Squigglez:

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Gear Total
64.42lbs
$1578.49

That kind of weight would destroy most people within 5 miles of hiking through rough terrain.  Holy crap.

The OP was correct.  BOB weight should be around 25-30lbs to include food and water.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#44]
My stuff hardly exceeds 40 anymore with low 30 s to high 20 s the norm.
Lot of weight can be saved by gear choices alone. Never understood guys who will buy a 300$ pack but carry and 5 lb 30 f sleeping bag or a heavy tarp vs a 5 oz sil tarp...
But its their knees and back not mine...if a person can't hump it..and is just playing dress up th ey are setting themselves up for failure.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Ridiculously good info in here. Subbed until I can read thru the whole thread
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Tuff:
Alot of good reading and various ideas....

I have one big issue with whats in a BOB...  I live 40 miles outside of Ft. Worth... my residence and what few neigbors I have are all good people, somewhat like minded.

BUT....I work 100 miles away in Dallas, Usally on the south end.. So my BOB loadout is a bit heavy...

I carry a weapon for a living..in the trunk of my car rests a 10.5 AR, and BOB.  if things were to turn south while I was in town getting home is the priority and knowing what part of town I will be in
has dictated and eaten up alot of room in my 3 day raid pack.  I have tried to cut weight while keeping absolute must haves.

Plan is to take the car as far as I can, if possible at all..depends on incident.

Question is just how many of you are in a simular situation...
View Quote

Tuff- DId you start your own thread on this (maybe i missed it)? I am often in the same situation as you (ranging from 1-2 and rarely 3 days a week). Would be interested in seeing responces from the group.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#47]
its 80 miles commute for me.

knowing your routes,,water sourcs etc are key. 100 miles can be 19 days or 5 depending on you set up/skill/physical level.

this is where cutting weight is key.

dont carry 5 knives ..8 fire steels or a 4 lb tent.

water and food are the heaviest items outside of weapons suppport.

but at that point your goingfor speed and low pro. no full load out..maybe just a sidearm..

cache points will help.

networking helps as well..co worker johnny lives 20 miles..maybe a "hey lets walk to your house" plan can be put into play if not prior least on spot..
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Is there a GHB version of this thread?
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:
View Quote

They are pretty much the same thing with slightly different goals.

For getting home it is assumed that you already know your route and about how long it will take you to do it.

So you set up your bag with only the things you need to get from A to B.

For instance. On any given day I am working between 20-30 miles from home. I figure worst case it will take me 4 days to walk home (ideally it would be 2 or 3, but I plan for 4). My bag contains enough calories for a 4 day walk, things like caffeine and pain killers so I can take less or shorter breaks, and seasonal shelter for resting.

The idea is to keep it as light as possible so you can move faster to your destination. I think the general BOB idea gets confused with a never coming home again type scenario, and in that case one bag is probably not going to be enough.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bcauz3y] [#50]

For getting home it is assumed that you already know your route and about how long it will take you to do it.

For instance. On any given day I am working between 20-30 miles from home. I figure worst case it will take me 4 days to walk home (ideally it would be 2 or 3, but I plan for 4). My bag contains enough calories for a 4 day walk, things like caffeine and pain killers so I can take less or shorter breaks, and seasonal shelter for resting.

The idea is to keep it as light as possible so you can move faster to your destination. I think the general BOB idea gets confused with a never coming home again type scenario, and in that case one bag is probably not going to be enough.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

That makes sense.

I've had a 'go' bag for the better part of 10 years, but I'm just now catching up with the new kids and all the cool new gear.

A lot of it really rocks, like light weight tarps, hammock tents, etc.

I have a really light daily carry pack, and then a box of stuff in the truck that can be added to the bag in case I have to hump home.

I'll post up both if anyone's interested.

ETA: I work 50 miles from home, and between myself and my destination is a ghetto with a pretty high homicide rate.

Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 18 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top