Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2016 4:00:53 PM EDT
I traded in my diesel for a car so now I'm looking for a way to keep my ar15 in my vehicle without everyone knowing it's there when I pop the trunk. I was thinking some kind of backpack needs to be 26 inches long to hold the upper. Anyone have any advice?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
How big is your spare tire compartment?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How big is your spare tire compartment?
View Quote

Checked not big enough had a hard time fitting my jumper cables in there. So I need something to store it in so far 81mm crate is the best I have seen !
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Someplace I saw once makes a guitar case for them, but I can't remember who it was.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Run a search of arfcom using google since I don't think you have a search function unless you are a paying member.  Not knocking it, just saying why I said google.

Anyway, general discussion has a thread or 3 going on about some of this with all the police shootings and what not.

And we have had threads in past on it.

If you google your specific vehicle and search net and especially images you might find some people who have done it with your specific vehicle and there might be a simple change or two that would work well.

You can get a backpack but a lot of folks have sports bags of some sort.  The tennis racket bag, for 4 tennis rackets usually works but there are bags for baseball and softball as well I believe.

I don't even know what the bags I bought were for but they are some sort of sports bag and do a good job with something like a folding fal or folding ak, not sure one exact measurements cause I was not concerned about an ar for a long time since I did not own one for a period of 12 plus years or so I guess.

Now with salad days, dang ar stuff seems to be filling empty spaces here and there so I could see needing to fit an ar someplace.

Some options when dealing with a trunk are to secure it to the back seat on the trunk side, or the package shelf depending on speakers and other stuff on the underneath of the package shelf if you have one.  I never really could see putting one on the trunk lid itself but some folks say it works well if the trunk lid is made to hide it well, and I would still use a color matching cloth over it as well probably.

Some people have made false floors similar to what your spare tire is in, it raises the whole trunk floor but if you do it in sections you could have a lot of stuff in the trunk and no one would no it if you cover the sections with automotive carpet.

I bought some padding for gun cases I got that came without form of any sort and playing around with various stuff I got some rather stiff foam.  Soft enough for a gun case I think but tougher than common pelican foam.  I could see it working well for a false floor filler since it would hold up the compartment top really well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep mine in the trunk, disabled the mechanism that opens by dash or remote . No smash and.grabs, only way to get in the trunk now Is by key or cutting through the back seat. Also keep a GHB, water, and real basic battle belt setup with ammo and trauma kit in there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Pelican case.

With a padlock, steel security cable and a bit of imagination with your specific car trunk, you can secure it pretty well.

Toss a blanket (in a color that blends with your trunk carpet) over it to hide it.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Cheap luggage roller from Walmart.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I stashed a 20" AR in the
back of my station wagon
for a couple of days in
plain sight in one of these.
It was mixed in with the
folding chairs I keep back
there.

Good for discreet transport,
too.

YMMV

John

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a long power tool bag, mine was made by "Bucket Boss".  Separate the upper and lower, I use the legs cut from an old pair of sweatpants to protect them, and I have plenty of pockets for magazines and accessories.

http://www.bucketboss.com/60024.html

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
back of my station wagon
for a couple of days in
It was mixed in with the
there.

too.

YMMV

John

http://www.hitpromo.net/imageManager/show/7070_royalblue_case.jpg
View Quote

This is hands down the best way, people really don't suspect it at all. I cut an old foam military sleeping mat fit in as a liner, it hides the shape of the rifle even better, especially while carrying it. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
However you decide to do it, please ensure that it's physically secured, not just hidden. Lots of guns are stolen out of cars, please don't arm a criminal with something nice.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#13]
If you use a system like this

https://www.coppercustom.com/shop/parts-kits/dolos-ar15-quick-change-barrel-system/

This is about $200

You can fit it into a sawzall size box, and lock it up.  It does mean taking longer to set it up.

What is the locking rack system?
Where do you purchase?
How much?

Also upi may consider an AR pistol, if you have CWP/CCW then you can leave it loaded.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I recall a discussion on the locking racks, was team or general discussion I think.

Some of the ways people stuck an ar15 in meant you could push the pins in and take the lower and leave the upper there.

I like the idea of a locking rack but learned in that thread I need to learn a bit more about them first.

Well, learn what to look for when searching for used one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I recall a discussion on the locking racks, was team or general discussion I think.

Some of the ways people stuck an ar15 in meant you could push the pins in and take the lower and leave the upper there.

I like the idea of a locking rack but learned in that thread I need to learn a bit more about them first.

View Quote

Covered 6 makes a forward anti-theft pin...
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#16]
This guy has a custom steel bracket made to fit the overhead handle mount points on his truck..

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#17]
When I drove a car and lived in suburbia, I used a big gym bag so I could take it in and out of the car without it being obvious what I had.

I like the camping chair bag idea.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a baseball bag.  Had to make a cut to connect the bag part to the bat part, but work really well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Canvas laundry bag like this one here.  Break it down, roll it up and chuck it in the trunk. Really non-descript, super cheap and doesn't take up space.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have this one, it certainly doesn't look like a rifle case:

Trojan Horse Long Gun case
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I use this case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V5BN4Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits nicely up against the back seat in the trunk. I also carry some blankets, so I just put them on top, and you can't see the case when I open my trunk.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
back of my station wagon
for a couple of days in
It was mixed in with the
there.

too.

YMMV

John

View Quote

For low pro. this seems to be the best ideal I've seen.

I'm going to borrow it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw this a while back:

Bug Out Vehicle-Re-inventing the Car Trunk

The guy wanted more space in his wife's car!
I'm no carpenter! So I did not try it in my compact! But it would give you
room for your AR and then some!!!
Just my two cents!

PITA45

PS If I was a carpenter, I would of made the trap door
less noticeable!
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#25]
If you want a very discreet case, you might try this one:

Bulldog discreet case

It requires you to separate the two halves of your rifle but it's very small and doesn't look like a rifle case.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I did something a little less elaborate
in my Jeep Wrangler. I wanted a lockable
area for valuables, so I made a shelf
to go over the rear storage area, that
rests on the fender wells, and is captured
by the rear seat belt ratchet assy's. I covered
it with carpet. It allows the area underneath
to be locked by the rear door, and adds a
shelf behind the rear seat where I have some
small folding chairs, shovels, etc.

John

Quoted:
I saw this a while back:

Bug Out Vehicle-Re-inventing the Car Trunk

The guy wanted more space in his wife's car!
I'm no carpenter! So I did not try it in my compact! But it would give you
room for your AR and then some!!!
Just my two cents!

PITA45

PS If I was a carpenter, I would of mad the trap door
lease noticeable!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:58:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Like the idea about the baseball bat bag and the other sports bags also might check out the chair bag also.

This bag will be in the trunk of my car not just left in the back seat. Never would leave a weapon even in any type of bag out in the open like that just tempting someone to do a smash and grab.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#28]
a portable sleeping cot bag will work too

what ever bag you use. add a couple of small things that go with it.

ie. if using a sports bag or bat bag add a clear bag with baseballs and a ball glove

or if using a cot bag. add some camping equipment like a small slerping bag and matt.

Just some small stuff to complete the expected signature of what you are hiding it in so it is not by itself
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
back of my station wagon
for a couple of days in
It was mixed in with the
there.

too.

YMMV

John

View Quote

yep it you have a hatch back type vehicle, suv, etc  you're well advised to make it look like something inexpensive or near junk status.  Think cardboard tent package or like the above, inexpensive camp chair bag versus tool box or high end sports gear that may actually invite theft.  

Make it disappear or appear like something worthless is my advice.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, I've seen improperly installed shotgun racks too.   One bad install forced the shotgun to be in the rack with the action open.....which leads to an easy disassembly and theft in 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Real life story:  Borrowed a SWAT Cop buddy's car to go the the doctor since my RV was too tall for the parking garage.  Was walking away from the car after parking and heard a "click".  Looked back and trunk had opened itself.  Inside I see all my bud's SWAT gear including an MP5 sub-gun, none of which I knew was in there!  Closed the trunk several more times and same thing happened.  Suspecting a short, I cut the wires and the trunk quit opening.  I still think about what could have happened had I not heard the first "click"!  Bottom line: Don't keep a weapon in an electric opening trunk!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#32]
That's a hell of an idea.

Quoted:
back of my station wagon
for a couple of days in
It was mixed in with the
there.

too.

YMMV

John

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I used a tool box for my bushmaster. It has to be taken down and the lower fits in the bottom of the tool box.
You can lock it and secure it to a tie down point.

[/
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the Ruger Takedown Bags might work. Diferent colors are sold on eBay. Gives you a place to store mags and is even a nice shoulder carry bag. Remove the sewn on logo and name and it could be also discreet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I used a tool box for my bushmaster. It has to be taken down and the lower fits in the bottom of the tool box.

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z466/jcdelta840/df24aac137daaee705301eb7f4574677.jpg[/<a href="http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/jcdelta840/media/cac148d7b37783633bc234c331bf3fcc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z466/jcdelta840/cac148d7b37783633bc234c331bf3fcc.jpg</a>
View Quote

As noted above, you don't want to use something that looks like something else worth stealing- like tools.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

As noted above, you don't want to use something that looks like something else worth stealing- like tools.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z466/jcdelta840/df24aac137daaee705301eb7f4574677.jpg[/<a href="http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/jcdelta840/media/cac148d7b37783633bc234c331bf3fcc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z466/jcdelta840/cac148d7b37783633bc234c331bf3fcc.jpg</a>

Great idea but I was thinking the same thing people would be less likely to steal baseball bats then they wood tools! Still like the idea.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I do not know where any one else lives!
But in my area (not that bad of an area, but no leave it to Beaver)!
If the opportunity came up and you had
something in the back of your locked vehicle!
Marked Bio-waste they would steal it!!!
That is why I prefer a more hidden place!
IMHO!
Yes they may fine it if they have time.  

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#38]
my spare tire well in my SUV has a styrafoam cover over the tire that has a nook in it that fits a loaded M4, aimpoint, and 3 30round mags surprisingly well... it also has road flares, jumper cables, and emergency clothes. I really like my car.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a Tuffy Locker in my Jeep CJ7 that will hold an AR15. About 33" OAL.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-96-super-security-storage-trunk.aspx

I've been scheming a way to put something in my Jeep Grand Cherokee too. Problem is space is limited due to the oversized spare in the rear. Need to get a swing out tire carrier (when someone eventually makes one again!). I've considered removing the tuffy box from the CJ and installing length wise in the cargo area which would still allow space for the spare and a secure storage option for an carbine.

Some guys over on Jeep forum mounted a bracket to the back of the rear seats, but that's too visible in my opinion.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
For the grand cherokee I considered cutting some plywood to make a raised floor setup, never did because of the factory spot in the floor.

Raising that spare tire up a few inches would let you slide something the height of an ar in easily, and if you attach it to the factory tie down points it should not really be a danger in an accident.

Is the spare tire secured in any way?

It has been several years since I got rid of my 07 grand but if I had kept it I was figuring on having to do something to the back storage compartment because I just could not get along with the factory setup without wasting the space of the box in the floor.

Then again I can see other options.  The long ammo can, mortor one maybe, that is real tall and no one can figure out a use for would be an option that would only open when the hatch was open.  I do like the idea of the tuffy box or something as well, but the cost of them keep me from buying one.  If I found one on a super duper sale I do think they would be well worth it.

Sportsmans guide has those ammo cans for 17.99 I think, and often you can find a free shipping code.  I got some just cause they were cheap and at worst I plan to store some stuff in them and put them in a far away corner for long term storage.

But a really short ar or folding ak should fit.  Some people store their ar taken apart and I need to just go ahead and buy one or 6 of the little plastic things now made to keep the bolt in place when you have it apart.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#41]
After considering a bunch of different options, I decided to keep it simple.  Keeping it low on the "back" wall of your trunk makes it very accessible when you need it, and can't be seen by anyone that isn't standing right at the back bumper (this probably varies by vehicle).  

Only drawback of this option is that the "claws" have to be disconnected from their bases to access the spare tire compartment, but they disconnect with a pretty simple clip design.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For the grand cherokee I considered cutting some plywood to make a raised floor setup, never did because of the factory spot in the floor.

Raising that spare tire up a few inches would let you slide something the height of an ar in easily, and if you attach it to the factory tie down points it should not really be a danger in an accident.

Is the spare tire secured in any way?

It has been several years since I got rid of my 07 grand but if I had kept it I was figuring on having to do something to the back storage compartment because I just could not get along with the factory setup without wasting the space of the box in the floor.

Then again I can see other options.  The long ammo can, mortor one maybe, that is real tall and no one can figure out a use for would be an option that would only open when the hatch was open.  I do like the idea of the tuffy box or something as well, but the cost of them keep me from buying one.  If I found one on a super duper sale I do think they would be well worth it.

Sportsmans guide has those ammo cans for 17.99 I think, and often you can find a free shipping code.  I got some just cause they were cheap and at worst I plan to store some stuff in them and put them in a far away corner for long term storage.

But a really short ar or folding ak should fit.  Some people store their ar taken apart and I need to just go ahead and buy one or 6 of the little plastic things now made to keep the bolt in place when you have it apart.

View Quote

I don't secure the spare at the moment other than put a tool bag on top. Last time I did some mild wheeling it tossed thing around quite a bit. I've thought about building a riser to put the tire on top of, but would need to make it removable in case I ever have to move a piece of furniture.

A little Google searching and found a cool thread on this topic from the GA HTC forum here:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=35&t=410808

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Loaded.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
After considering a bunch of different options, I decided to keep it simple.  Keeping it low on the "back" wall of your trunk makes it very accessible when you need it, and can't be seen by anyone that isn't standing right at the back bumper (this probably varies by vehicle).  

<a href="http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/bailey559/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/0DDE454C-0E7B-4230-9E58-656B29F2E508_zpsv3me5luy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u592/bailey559/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/0DDE454C-0E7B-4230-9E58-656B29F2E508_zpsv3me5luy.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/bailey559/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/966D6D13-E75E-4F5D-9F00-82143AC0FEFA_zpskhipeqmu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u592/bailey559/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/966D6D13-E75E-4F5D-9F00-82143AC0FEFA_zpskhipeqmu.jpg</a>

Only drawback of this option is that the "claws" have to be disconnected from their bases to access the spare tire compartment, but they disconnect with a pretty simple clip design.
View Quote

That looks like a Charger or similar. Did you drill and mount those claws?
Is there no way to lock or secure it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I know where I'm at of my vehicle gets broken in it's going to be stolen and taken to Mexico! So no hiding or locks will matter! Yet I don't want it left out in the open.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#46]
A tennis racket case and split in 2 halves
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#47]
As a kid I remember my dad always taking a briefcase to and from work.  It always came into the house at night.  He even wore a suit to work.  

For those concerned about theft I would find a bag of some sort that you feel works as camoflauge for the rifle and just get in the habit of carrying it in and out all the time.

We have had a ton of threads across this site about ways to carry an ar in a bag of sorts and some companies are making bags that fit certain sizes of ar rifles and look more like a school backpack or something for work.

As with most things, carrying the extra stuff is annoying at first.  But once you do it for a few weeks it becomes habit and is not a big deal.  If you can put it on a shoulder strap to free up your hands it won't even make for an extra trip while you haul in groceries and stuff.

One person would hang theirs on a coat rack as I recall.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I know where I'm at of my vehicle gets broken in it's going to be stolen and taken to Mexico! So no hiding or locks will matter! Yet I don't want it left out in the open.
View Quote

Same with me.  So I just drive a 12 year old 4x4 that no one wants to steal and bought a black piece of cloth at WM and looking in the tinted windows it looks just like the black floor so anything under it goes unnoticed. Low tech, but works so far.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/bailey559/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/0DDE454C-0E7B-4230-9E58-656B29F2E508_zpsv3me5luy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u592/bailey559/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/0DDE454C-0E7B-4230-9E58-656B29F2E508_zpsv3me5luy.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/bailey559/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/966D6D13-E75E-4F5D-9F00-82143AC0FEFA_zpskhipeqmu.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u592/bailey559/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07/966D6D13-E75E-4F5D-9F00-82143AC0FEFA_zpskhipeqmu.jpg</a>

View Quote

I'm just wondering why you did not mount it here:  

Reason I'm asking is that is my second choice after making a false compartment!

PITA45
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top