Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2016 3:43:21 AM EDT
Today, my wife and I came upon a hit and run accident about 30 seconds after it happened. A dirty rotten male human being fled the scene after totaling two cars that had two woman and a child in them. (they got him less than an hour later)

Anyway, we had our GHB/prep bag handy but basically used some wet wipes to stop bleeding and a fleece blanket (not in the GHB but in the vehicle at all times) as a pillow. I offered bottled water but an officer said not to give any victims anything to drink. No one was seriously injured but they needed help in the form of translation mostly. Interesting but one of the victims had a dash cam rolling. I think I might invest in one. I was able to describe the runner very accurately but a digital record would be very handy.

Neither victims party's spoke English, or each others language so it was down to kind gestures and words of prayer from us.

Any advice or preps we should keep on hand? What are the laws pertaining to this? My wife said after we need to brush up on these issues just in case. I understand the "walk away/don't get involved" perspective. Much as I would like to "keep going", I feel the need/urge to do what is right. Anyway, it will be something I am answerable to on my day of crossing.

WSS
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#1]
CA 'Good Samaritan' laws are poorly written and higher court rulings have screwed things up worse.  You'd best stay away unless there is an imminent death involved. And even then you are likely to get sued in this state.

http://firstaid.about.com/od/medicallegal/a/07_no_good_sam.htm

It's bad enough you might just want to be a 'good witness'

/where ANY of the involved parties a legal resident?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't get involved.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CA 'Good Samaritan' laws are poorly written and higher court rulings have screwed things up worse.  You'd best stay away unless there is an imminent death involved. And even then you are likely to get sued in this state.

View Quote

My reading of that case was that the old law only applied to "medical care" and that courts interpreted that a rescue of someone; fire, carbon monoxide, etc., was not medical care per se and was not protected. However, it look like the Cali Leg amended to law to comply with the court's judgment and now you are covered in all cases  except gross negligence.

OP, I think what you did was fine. Handing out a blanket or putting trauma dressing on a bleeder is generally going to be okay and it's not something that I would walk away from regardless of the risks. I agree with the officer telling you not to give them water, you never know what internal injuries they might have and sometimes fluids can complicate the issue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahh...A comrade from the Republik of Kalifornia. LOL

Yes, I believe the Indian family and Thai lady were, however the runner was not. I bet he never sees court. He basically left two woman and a child for dead, he had no idea how bad he hurt them when he ran. It really, really, really irks me that people have no regard for others or the law. "self preservation". The California liberal is like an animal and the illegals they support are just like them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My reading of that case was that the old law only applied to "medical care" and that courts interpreted that a rescue of someone; fire, carbon monoxide, etc., was not medical care per se and was not protected. However, it look like the Cali Leg amended to law to comply with the court's judgment and now you are covered in all cases  except gross negligence.

OP, I think what you did was fine. Handing out a blanket or putting trauma dressing on a bleeder is generally going to be okay and it's not something that I would walk away from regardless of the risks. I agree with the officer telling you not to give them water, you never know what internal injuries they might have and sometimes fluids can complicate the issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was/has been my understanding in California as well. But it is hard to stay on top of all the CRAZY changes made to our laws here. It won't change how I feel and my resulting actions, but I will read up some more on the subject.

Thanks!!
WSS
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I would stop and help, regardless of the law. My actions would be limited to boy scout level first aid (pressure/dressing to wounds, etc) and I would not move the victims unless necessary. I don't care if the courts get me for practicing without a licence or some such BS: I answer to a higher power.

At least MN has well written Good Samaritan laws.

OP: I think you did fine. We should always remember that our FAKs are NOT generally for us, but for whomever needs them. A wool blanket is very useful for obvious warmth, and does a good job of smothering a fire. I keep at least 1 in every vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Minor rant....I'm really tired of people who refuse to help out and to get involved when something bad happens.  In my opinion, you have a responsibility as a citizen to help out other citizens who are in need of assistance.  I do understand the need to care for yourself and your family first but fucking get involved....or watch society fail.  If you can't do anything else, then at least be a good witness.  I work in LE and it's amazing to me the number of people who refuse to get involve or help out their neighbors.  You can't be an island to yourself.  We have to be a team with each other....and that included people we don't even know.  If my wife was involved in a wreck and you come across the wreck, I certainly hope that you are willing to get out of your vehicle and assist her.  If you won't assist in any manner, then get the fuck out of this country.  Part of survival planning is planning to help each other.  

So, what should you do?  Get a GOOD first aid kit for all your vehicles.  It should have big bandages, an Israeli pressure bandage or two, a CAT tourniquet, an infant and an adult CPR mask (they aren't expensive), heavy duty nitrile gloves, and of course your usual assortment of bandaids and such.  I'm sure one of the medical professionals on this site will be along to make some more suggestions.  I think I have about $100 in my car first aid kits.  

Then, learn how to use them.  I would get the first aid kit first though.  Even if you don't know how to use it, sometimes someone will show up on scene and know how to use your supplies.  

A few years ago, my brother and a friend were on a motorcycle ride.  A wreck happened right in front of us (motorcycle vs large trailer).  We stopped to assist.  There was a retired firefighter who also stopped to help.  He did first aid on the injured biker and me and my group directed traffic.  We kept the road flowing and also enabled the medical and LE personnel to get to the scene and evacuate the injured rider.  Yes we took a couple hours out of our day to help....but that's what decent citizens do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
+ 10 for Rat Patrol and Coltrifle! One of the biggest problems with America today is the "Me first, screw everyone else" attitude.

Take a 1st aid class, put together a good kit, and be a good human!

Good for you OP for helping.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a large "IFAK" kit in my car with multiple CAT Tourniquests, a couple SWAT one and a ton of Isrealli bandages, dressing materials and seals.  I also carry a boo boo kit for smaller things.  I also carry an IFAK kit for just myself when hiking or away from the truck.

Here is the trick. I take class after class on how to use these.  I take refresher course in how to effectively use the items I carry.

The training is the kicker.  Do you know how to apply an Isreali bandage?  do you know what a chest seal is for?  CPR? how to pack a wound?  Do you know what to look for as in "What will kill this person next?"

I have come upon a couple scenes and fortunately, have never had to use this knowledge, but I would have stopped to help here as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Tell them that pain is the first step of the healing process.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, first take a First Aid class. I mean, that's a no-brainer, right?  Wet wipes are cute, obviously no one seriously injured.  How much FAK is up to you.  At one time I had gauze, ambu bags, triage tags, splints, gloves, tape, C-collars ...

Second, Good Sam laws in CA are crummy, but OK.  You'll probably be OK for rendering basic first aid; from what I've seen, LEO doesn't usually go collecting names of people helping out on scene.

So, my background: EMS for 10 years in CA; stopped at plenty of accidents both off and on duty.  Rare to see someone helping, but there was a memorable roll-over on I-5 where the driver was ejected and essentially DOA.  We (I was off duty, a RN and another FF stopped) did CPR for about 40 min til EMS arrived.  

Lately I've downsized my trauma kit to just bleeding control.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Control bleeding if present. Most bleeding can be controlled with direct pressure.  If the vehicle is not at risk for catching fire. Don't move them. EMS will stabilize their neck before doing so. If the vehicle is catching fire. Get them out. Obviously make sure 911 has been called. Don't freak out. Be calm. Talk to them and keep them calm.

If I see an accident and ems is not present, I stop. I can't just drive away and leave someone that is likely hurt.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Control bleeding if present. Most bleeding can be controlled with direct pressure.  If the vehicle is not at risk for catching fire. Don't move them. EMS will stabilize their neck before doing so. If the vehicle is catching fire. Get them out. Obviously make sure 911 has been called. Don't freak out. Be calm. Talk to them and keep them calm.

If I see an accident and ems is not present, I stop. I can't just drive away and leave someone that is likely hurt.
View Quote

Best advice is here.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I was just thinking that many people freeze up under stress, and them trying to help may hurt more than anything. I know of a few such people. Other than dialing 911, what would be the best thing for those types to do? I'm talking people that literally stand there and shake their hands in panic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
The panicked people won't be much use unless someone is around to direct them. (Actually a legitimate time to say "sheeple!")

One of the basic lessons of first response with a crowd is to assign roles to specific people.  Don't say "someone call 911."  Point to a person and say, "You in the red shirt, call 911."  A lot of times, people are willing to help, but need to be told what to do.  If that is the case, give them simple things to do, like dialing 911, holding pressure on a wound, handing things to you, make sure you don't get run over, etc.  Give them one thing to do at a time, and keep it simple.

Remember the basics:
Scene safety
(911--delegate if possible)
Airway
Breathing
Circulation
Treat for shock

If you can do those, you will likely keep anyone with reasonably survivable injuries going until professional help arrives.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:56:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The panicked people won't be much use unless someone is around to direct them. (Actually a legitimate time to say "sheeple!")

One of the basic lessons of first response with a crowd is to assign roles to specific people.  Don't say "someone call 911."  Point to a person and say, "You in the red shirt, call 911."  A lot of times, people are willing to help, but need to be told what to do.  If that is the case, give them simple things to do, like dialing 911, holding pressure on a wound, handing things to you, make sure you don't get run over, etc.  Give them one thing to do at a time, and keep it simple.

Remember the basics:
Scene safety
Airway
Breathing
Circulation
Treat for shock

If you can do those, you will likely keep anyone with reasonably survivable injuries going until professional help arrives.

View Quote

Great post!

To add to that....lots of people forget scene safety.  You have only made things worse if you become a casualty yourself.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Check your state's GOOD SAMARITAN LAW.  Most are written to
protect professional medical personnel and first responders.  Some
also add liability protection to lay persons.  Some states require a
current Red Cross First Aid certification of the non-professional.

Good Samaritan laws by state;

http://heartsafeam.livesitehost.com/faq_good_samaritan
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree on read and learn the laws for your area.

I agree on the training and then making a decent simple first aid kit.

Stuff like a cheap blanket as mentioned and if the weather was bad that is where those little emergency blankets that are so noisy might be useful to keep people dry.

In many cases having a working cell phone to make sure the accident is reported and you sticking around will help calm people.

In past, long ago, I stopped to see why someone was sitting in vehicle on side of road.  Everyone in front of me just drove right on past.  Person had some medical issue and I have no clue what it wound up being.  But making a call for medical help calmed the person down because they could not do it themselves and they were so wound up because no one would stop that it was crazy.  No accident that I could see and just a decent weather fall day so no worries on anything else.  I hung out til someone official stopped by and I asked if they needed any help and they just said thanks they were calling for an ambulance due to person seeming to be in shock or having meds messed up or something.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#19]
If it's a really good looking woman first loosen all her clothing then do a chest massage to get her heart going followed by mouth to mouth.

If not good looking, call 911 and direct traffic.

Just kidding!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Check your state's GOOD SAMARITAN LAW.  Most are written to
protect professional medical personnel and first responders.  Some
also add liability protection to lay persons.  Some states require a
current Red Cross First Aid certification of the non-professional.

Good Samaritan laws by state;

http://heartsafeam.livesitehost.com/faq_good_samaritan
View Quote

you have that backwards. GSL's were created to protect your everyday Joe that stops to help. they do not cover us as trained fire/EMS providers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Remember the basics:
Scene safety
Airway
Breathing
Circulation
Treat for shock

View Quote

This!! Carry a space blanket in your FAK for shock
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
+ 10 for Rat Patrol and Coltrifle! One of the biggest problems with America today is the "Me first, screw everyone else" attitude.

Take a 1st aid class, put together a good kit, and be a good human!

Good for you OP for helping.

Tom
View Quote

I 2nd this one!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't get involved.
View Quote

This sounds cold, but this is actually the best thing. Im a career firefighter and paramedic, trust me.. everyone has a cell phone. They will call 911 and 100 passer bys will also call. Theres lots of other variables from you don't have proper saftey equipment like high visibility vest and a big ass fire truck with lights to get peoples attention ans provide a blocked saftey zone to honestly just being in the way despite your good intentions. But out of all the variables the traffic safety is really a very underestimated potentially deadly hazard for any bystanders  trying to offer help. Good rule of thumb, if they are out and walking around, they will be just fine for the 7-15mins for ems to arrive. Your gonna feel pretty bad if you get hurt or killed and cant provide and protect your own to just stare at someone while ems is on the way anyways.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Tells you a lot about where our society has gone when the first response to this post was to basically not get involved for fear of litigation.  Have we really become a society of people who won't do squat for a complete stranger, let alone a neighbor?  I'm reminded of some show I saw where in China people would walk around elderly who had collapsed as if they were an inconvenience.   Don't get involved, just call 911?  Really?  

I'll parrot what Coltrifle said....  Yes, help your fellow citizen in need.  If nothing else, be a comforting voice to help calm someone who has just been in an accident.  Get first aid training and keep supplies in your vehicles.  Be prepared to get involved.  Wouldn't you want to be helped in your time of need?  I've been in LE for 19 years now and have seen a number of citizens make a big difference in accident/trauma situations without the aid of reflective vests, flashing lights, etc....  We can help each other.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tells you a lot about where our society has gone when the first response to this post was to basically not get involved for fear of litigation.  Have we really become a society of people who won't do squat for a complete stranger, let alone a neighbor?  I'm reminded of some show I saw where in China people would walk around elderly who had collapsed as if they were an inconvenience.   Don't get involved, just call 911?  Really?  

I'll parrot what Coltrifle said....  Yes, help your fellow citizen in need.  If nothing else, be a comforting voice to help calm someone who has just been in an accident.  Get first aid training and keep supplies in your vehicles.  Be prepared to get involved.  Wouldn't you want to be helped in your time of need?  I've been in LE for 19 years now and have seen a number of citizens make a big difference in accident/trauma situations without the aid of reflective vests, flashing lights, etc....  We can help each other.
View Quote

Ya, we gotta help. It's not easy but it is necessary. About 2 years ago, I came across a "unmanned pickup truck" swerving in the street and eventually hit a fire hydrant. In the end it was a simple mistake. An old guy had just pulled up to his daughters house in his huge motorhome that had said pickup truck in tow. While unhooking it, it rolled away and the door being opened knocked him down making it look he got thrown from the vehicle. Myself and two others stopped to help, another ten stopped to take pictures. I was pissed,they even found "the best spot" to take the pics. I called them idiots, but they just smiled and nodded (language barrier).

WSS
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't over think it. Avoid stuff that will cause issues like moving people, etc.

Keep some white dish towels and hand them to someone in need. That will take care of 90% of issues. If the blood isn't spurting, don't worry about it, let the person press with a towel.

Don't get their blood/fluids on you.

Don't get waffled by another car.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been going to accidents for 20-plus years
The answer will depend on the extent of injuries
Most people don't walk out their door in the morning saying " I'm going to hit something today"
Psychologically, most people are not prepared for the accident
Even if its just a car/ deer impact, people get emotionally invested in their cars and I've seen some people get incredibly angry at something that's not life threatening and a hunk of metal and plastic that can be replaced when they can't be so easily replaced. I try to point that out to them.

So, on to the topic.....

If they are mobile and uninjured, just being a  good Samaritan and having a warm car they can sit in waiting for police, EMS  and wreckers to show up can be helpful.
If they have apparently minor injuries, engage them, talk to them, they may be in shock and/ or acting irrationally because of concerns over other occupants of the car.
Be as calm as you can be. If you have some form of medical experience tell them and offer to help.
Let them make that decision to accept your offer IF THEY ARE ABLE TO DO SO. if they are unable to, use your best judgment in doing what you think you can or should do based on the circumstances and your training

If they are seriously injured, best thing you can do in most cases is make them comfortable til the professional medical folks get there.
I've driven up on a  serious car/pedestrian accident 30 seconds after it happened and luckily a passing motorist was a doctor.
We sat there in the guys pool of blood as she worked on the guy, steadily going through her med kit and my med kit and the med kits of about three other initial officers on scene as she worked to save him til the ambulances could get on scene.

That one incident alone made me re-think how much med supplies I need to carry with me for an incident

If it's a serious accident, don't be a tough guy and think that there wont be things that wont bug you.
In LE we have after action reviews for a reason so guys who were involved can work through the incident
if you find yourself having problems dealing with what you experienced, get some help.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was just thinking that many people freeze up under stress, and them trying to help may hurt more than anything. I know of a few such people. Other than dialing 911, what would be the best thing for those types to do? I'm talking people that literally stand there and shake their hands in panic.
View Quote

That is just adrenaline. People either fight, flight, or freeze. Competence begets confidence. Confidence reduces that adrenaline level to a controllable level. Put another way, the less control you have the more stress you feel.

If you kiddo, falls and get a large laceration that needs on his chin. Bleeding all over it is stressful. That same thing is less stressful for me. At first, I get a bump of adrenaline and then remember that I can fix that. I bring him inside, put him on the kitchen counter and stitch him up. More control. Less stress.

One technique is to break an overwhelming task up into smaller tasks. Go through quickly in your head the steps you will need to take. Etc.

Not sure if any of that helps.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Stress inoculation...if you haven't seen stuff before you may not be as effective thinking and rendering aid.

People by a kit and think they are going to be a swat medic...not quite. Get the gear, by all means...better to have it, but go volunteer at an FD or something.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]
My opinion, if its bad, be a good person and render basic assistance, help, etc...  What level of assistance or help, well that's up to each of us as individuals.

Also, don't just tell the random passerby to make the call to 911.  If you have first hand knowledge place the call yourself.

A known personal injury accident is going to get a significantly different dispatch vs an unknown, or some one just saying;

-

"Hello, I was just told to call about an accident... I am not sure what's going on, I was just told to call...  'Um we are some where on route 66 I am not really sure where though, I am not familiar with the area..."

-

Trust me, it happens day in, and day out.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#31]
What others have said about first aid.

But for people that are not badly injured, having a warm or cool car to sit in, some water on a hot day makes a big difference while waiting for police/EMS.
Even after they arrive, there will be lots of waiting around for passengers and others not badly injured.but shook up.

Cheap hand and bath towels are great to have handy.
Blankets not only for cold but to keep people off of burning hot pavement.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Go spend the $100 or so on First Aid/CPR training. My company pays for me to have it every two years.

I was about to become a certified instructor before I had to have back to back rotator cuff surgery only three months apart. Still plan on doing it because it's well worth it. I've used my training a number of times the last of which was assisting a woman that T-boned another vehicle at approx. 65 mph that pulled out on front of her and she wasn't wearing her seatbelt.

If I hadn't had the training I would have been lost as to what to do and probably would have tried to pull her out of the car. Good thing I didn't. Woman had more broken bones than visible to the eye.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm firmly in the camp that rendering aid when you are able is the right thing to do.  I also do it for a living.  Roadway incidents are very dangerous so understand the hazards and prepare and act accordingly.

I think it's important to add that post-crash vehicle fires are actually pretty rare.  You are likely to have some residual haze from an airbag deployment, there may also be some smoke from oil or some other fluid coming into contact with an exhaust manifold, but it rarely bursts into flames.  Steaming coolant is also frequently mistaken for smoke.  If there is an actual fire, moving a victim is certainly appropriate, but in this case smoke doesn't always equal fire.

If EMS has a long response time, giving them information about any change in the victims' status is important, i.e.:  they were talking coherently before and now they're not, or he was unconscious when I arrived but came to after about five minutes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#34]
In Texas, it's a crime to not stop and render aid and witness to authority.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.550.htm

also, good samaritan law

https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=18803

ETA: I was wrong, if you see an accident, 550 doesn't apply to you. It's only if you are involved.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll always stop to help.  I have training to a first responder level, and keep a kit in the truck.  (and high vis vests and coats).  If it's messy, suck it up and get it done then throw up later (ask me how I know ).  I'm a member of the county EMA and the last accident I worked I walked around the car and saw a teen girl lying dead in the road.  Helped the deputy and medic put her in a body bag.  Sadly it gets easier.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't get involved.
View Quote

Typically that WAS my attitude.
BUT, about 15 years ago, on the way to work at 0530,  I saw a car get T boned at an intersection, right into the driver's door, car that hit it was going 60ish and never even touched the brakes as he sailed thru the red light.
I was about 100 yds behind it and saw the whole thing happen.
They came to rest in the grass median down the road a ways.
I put my flashers on and pulled off the road behind them, as did the car in front of me.
Young lady in car in front of me, wearing scrubs, so I assume she was a nurse,  ran to car same time I did, and it was instantly obvious that the girl in it was not going to survive.
I felt helpless,and sort of  just stood there, but young lady knelt down, reached in and put her arms around the girl, and  prayed and sang to her as she died

Turns out the girl was the niece of a coworker of mine, and it brought the family a great deal of comfort to know she did not pass alone, but had someone provide comfort to her in her final moments..
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Op, do you have a smartphone?  If so, download the google translate app.  It's free.  You just speak to it, and it will translate into text and speech.  It also has the option to detect the input language, so if you can get the other party to speak clearly, it will detect their language and then translate to yours.  It provides a text output from the incoming language as well so the other party can confirm that what the app has translated is correct
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

BUT, about 15 years ago, on the way to work at 0530,  I saw a car get T boned at an intersection, right into the driver's door, car that hit it was going 60ish and never even touched the brakes as he sailed thru the red light.
I put my flashers on and pulled off the road behind them, as did the car in front of me.
Young lady in car in front of me, wearing scrubs, so I assume she was a nurse,  ran to car same time I did, and it was instantly obvious that the girl in it was not going to survive.
I felt helpless,and sort of  just stood there, but young lady knelt down, reached in and put her arms around the girl, and  prayed and sang to her as she died

Turns out the girl was the niece of a coworker of mine, and it brought the family a great deal of comfort to know she did not pass alone, but had someone provide comfort to her in her final moments..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't get involved.

That's a very sad but somehow, very nice story.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's a very sad but somehow, very nice story.
View Quote

You know, yours is the BEST way I have ever heard that feeling described, thanks.

Still brings a tear to my eye thinking about it, and I'm a hard knot, for the most part.
I still visit my long retired co-worker who was the deceased's uncle, and he still brings it up from time to time.

I'm always current on CPR, 1st aid, AED, etc but felt absolutely helpless in that situation, and yet the RIGHT thing to do was so simple and so beautiful, and it never even crossed my mind. Until then.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Op, do you have a smartphone?  If so, download the google translate app.  It's free.  You just speak to it, and it will translate into text and speech.  It also has the option to detect the input language, so if you can get the other party to speak clearly, it will detect their language and then translate to yours.  It provides a text output from the incoming language as well so the other party can confirm that what the app has translated is correct
View Quote

I do, great suggestion! That seems a no brainer in my neck of the woods. Thanks

WSS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top