Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2015 12:03:06 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

I have a tool wrap that includes some basic tools I might end up needing, depending on what it going on. I have a much bigger kit that stays in my truck full time; this one is only for situations where I can't bring everything. I also will bring this kit along when I'm going to help a friend out with something, etc. I'm trying to evaluate what items I'm missing, and was hoping for some input. I want to keep everything in the wrap, so anything that wouldn't fit would be out. What would you guys add?

10" Crecent
8" Crecent
Slip Jaw Pliers
Vise Grips
Set of Precision Screwdrivers
Set of #1,#2,#3 Screwdrivers
Knipex Bolt Cutter
Knipex Side Cutter
Needle Nose Plier
Standard Plier
2 Punches
Markers
Knife
Super Glue
Duct Tape

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.

I have one that came built into my '94 Montero and it works in a pinch.  I've added some other stuff, including an original Leatherman multi-tool, just for the smaller stuff.

Always a good idea to have some tools around.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Small 2-3lb hammer. What good are punches without that?

I picked one up at HF.

I usually go with a 10" or 12" crescent like you but also a 6 instead of 8.

ETA Since the hammer I suggested would be big for that pouch maybe a good solid claw hammer and cut off the claw side.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep something similar in both my vehicles, but a few years ago I changed from carrying a lot of general purpose
stuff to a little bit of it (e.g. vice grips and a crescent wrench) and then the exact tools needed for specific tasks.
As an example, my battery can only be removed with a socket on an extension based on the location of the hold-down,
so I carry a ratchet, extension, and that specific socket for the battery, along with a combination wrench of the size
needed for the battery terminals. I've done the same for fan belt changes (along with the spare belt), and for
tire repair (plug kit) and changes.

I went through every road failure I had in my life, as well as looking at what AAA and other roadside places say
the common failures are and then made sure I had the exact tools to take care of those events. I've found the
bigger issue after the obvious problems (battery, belt, hoses) is that it's unlikely you'll have parts on hand for the
repair unless it's something very common and specific to your car, so once repair involves going to get parts, you're
in the position of getting the correct tools as well.

So my advice, rather than tell you to add a ratchet and a gator grip socket or whatever, would be to see what
you need to do at least a battery replacement, a belt change, and replacements on any hoses, and then ask
yourself if the tools you have will do the job. As an example, I ran into a snag once where I needed to remove
a constant-tension spring clamp from a hose, which pliers or vice grips can do in a pinch -- but the clamp was located
in a place that neither of those tools would work, so I had to use a special spring clamp tool. In this case, instead
of packing that tool I changed out the clamp and repositioned it so that I'd have easy access to it in the future.
This is stuff you don't want to learn on the side of the road, which is why I suggest simulating (or doing if you're
performing actual maintenance) everything with the tools and parts you carry.

That said, I'd probably add some JB weld stick to the kit, and zip ties, and a short bit of safety wire (enough to tie an
exhaust pipe back to the hangar.) Some 550 cord probably wouldn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Zip ties
Bailing wire
Worm clamp
Fuses for your vehicle
Tire plug kit
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice little system you have there.
I'll tag this one for interest
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You could get rid of the screw drivers on the right side in favor of a 6way screw driver.

I hate crescent wrenches. I would opt of a small socket set.

The standard pliers can be replaced by the Vice Grips.

I would ditch the punches.

What's the purpose behind the small bolt cutters?

Are the smaller screw drivers mostly the same, but only longer? If so, I would ditch one or the other.

I would add:
a hammer
A small breaker or pry bar of good quality.
Zip ties
Fuses
Wire
Wire connectors
Utility knife w/ refills.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]

I think you have a good set-up.  If I changed anything it would be replacing the Craftsman screwdrivers with a Klein 11 in 1.  Maybe keep the largest Craftsman in case you need to pry something, But an 11 in 1, would give you alot of options and take up less space.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:04:24 AM EDT
[#8]
you need a headlamp in that mix
and maybe a set of gloves
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I would add:

tire plug kit
zip ties
paracord
fire extinguisher
4way lug wrench

Other then the suggested items above my every day Jeep kit also includes one large pair of pliers, some Kevlar vehicle extracation gloves, Cold Steel SF shovel, spare windshield wipers, tow strap, jumper cables, tarp, cheap folding wood saw, and a vehicle dedicated multi tool.

A few older towels, sheets, and sleeping bag also ride along.

During hunting season I add a 21" bow saw, boy's axe, and extra tow strap.  Chainsaw if headed onto non maintained seasonal roads.

Problem with most modern vehicles is that the chances of actually being able to fix something that will leave you inoperable on the side of the road is not as likely as was with vehicles of the past.

If I am going on a long trip I toss in a small tool box/ kit for a piece of mind, but in realty it probably won't help me much, and I can swap a motor if I have a garage full of tools at my disposal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good if you are keeping it small.  I ran through some scenarios in my head and I could do 90% of what needs done with that kit.

Add a small ball pein hammer.  One with a hickory handle.  You will find things to beat on where the handle comes in handier than the hammer.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep a tool roll in my motorcycle when traveling.  I'd add electrical tape, some crimp connectors, a small multimeter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
FH,
 Where did you get that tool roll?

I have been looking for some,
but I have not been able to find any.

Thanks!

John

Quoted:
Hi Everyone,

I have a tool wrap that includes some basic tools I might end up needing, depending on what it going on. I have a much bigger kit that stays in my truck full time; this one is only for situations where I can't bring everything. I also will bring this kit along when I'm going to help a friend out with something, etc. I'm trying to evaluate what items I'm missing, and was hoping for some input. I want to keep everything in the wrap, so anything that wouldn't fit would be out. What would you guys add?

10" Crecent
8" Crecent
Slip Jaw Pliers
Vise Grips
Set of Precision Screwdrivers
Set of #1,#2,#3 Screwdrivers
Knipex Bolt Cutter
Knipex Side Cutter
Needle Nose Plier
Standard Plier
2 Punches
Markers
Knife
Super Glue
Duct Tape

<a href="http://s458.photobucket.com/user/Flathead9/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151122_191555588_zpsfgmzsoyg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq309/Flathead9/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151122_191555588_zpsfgmzsoyg.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Scissors and a hammer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FH,
 Where did you get that tool roll?

I have been looking for some,
but I have not been able to find any.

Thanks!

John

View Quote

it looks like a duluth company tool roll.  Looks nice, but not cheap at 49.95
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top