Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 3:45:16 PM EDT
I have to build a base for my about-to-be-installed home generator.  I have an 11K Generac that I'll need to move into position soon because the gas company is coming to upgrade the gas meter.

I need to build some kind of foundation for it and I cannot find much on line.  

So, next best thing to the internet it here......So, what have you all used as a base/foundation for a home generator?  

I've heard all kinds of suggestions  from a base built out of decking, cement and crushed stone?  

Please share your experiences, good and bad, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel again.

Thanks in advance,
Medic2RN
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't screw around and cement a 4-5" pad. When cementing, put a chain in and leave enough out where you can lock it right to your generator frame. Yes, you can cut chain, but it keeps honest people honest and slows them down. A chain on either side would work well, make sure you get coated chain so it doesn't rust right away.

No need to call the redi mix company, I would just bring home enough cement in bags and mix it yourself.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is a new one, it should have a fiberglass base attached. But scraping off top soil, tamping some sand to level, and then a 4"pad with wire mesh or rebar should be a half day max. But all the Kohler sets I have installed I made sure they had a base pad on them. You also may need a circuit for battery charger/battery warmer, and possibly a conduit for low voltage if you have any load shedding,or network monitoring for status.

Are you doing the whole house transfer switch or a 16 circuit panel with transfer switch built in?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
poured concrete>gravel bed>leveled dirt with some gravel>bare dirt>plastic pad it comes with alone
They do make plastic pads designed to replace the gravel or concrete, they are so so and vary drastically.
Do NOT use anything with wood. I advise keeping it away from windows and considering keeping it far enough off the house that you can kneel behind it for any service work.

When we install generators it's part of a propane system and there are all sorts of rules and regulations about it. We much prefer the crushed stone or concrete and the price really isn't that much different in practice. Concrete has the beauty of being much less of a hassle to deal with for landscapers as well. We have also done paving stones in a gravel/sand bed, but usually when the customer has a fancy setup and wants all the stone work to match. Let's just say that it is priced accordingly and that odds are there is a concrete pad underneath to keep things solid unless the stones are big enough. I've seen some gorgeous ones though, intricate patterns that blend right into a walkway...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a thought.

Level base, square foundation, line with gravel, add concrete block, fill/level concrete blocks with quick setting cement, add "eye bolts" so you can secure it.....job done.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Should be a bolt pattern in the chassis of genet for anchoring to slab.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ours is set on a gravel bed and framed in 4x4 treated timbers.  Lemme go grab a pic.....

Here's a crappy pic.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I poured a concrete slab that was 6 inches bigger all around then my 20kw generace whole house.  and I made it higher then the top of the concrete on my foundation .   theory being that by the time the genny gets wet  house is well wet ...  

I live in city that inspects EVERYTHING !!!  the city inspector looked at my set up and asked me  questions as he wants to do the same set up at his house = he was damn impressed
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Not trying to hijack OP's topic, but I saw this and its relevant to what I want to do slightly.  I'm looking to buy a Generac next year and install it myself.  Only problem is it's just me and wife to move 350+ pounds.  I can probably lift 200, but there's no way wife is going to be able to pick up the rest.  The location I need to put the gen is a very tight space, I can't drive a truck or forklift to it.  Moving it by hand is literally the only option.  Maybe rent a hard cart or something?  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not trying to hijack OP's topic, but I saw this and its relevant to what I want to do slightly.  I'm looking to buy a Generac next year and install it myself.  Only problem is it's just me and wife to move 350+ pounds.  I can probably lift 200, but there's no way wife is going to be able to pick up the rest.  The location I need to put the gen is a very tight space, I can't drive a truck or forklift to it.  Moving it by hand is literally the only option.  Maybe rent a hard cart or something?  Any suggestions?
View Quote

A air tired dolly, air tire furniture dolly, 18" pieces of Schedule 40 electrical conduit or any pipe, get a friend, etc. If I could suggest you do some reliability research on the Generac vs. Kohler. I have installed hundreds of gensets from 12KW to Catepillars running 3200 Amps at 480 volts. Kohler, IMHO, are better than Generac and the service network is better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the suggestions.  The genny I need will run on natural gas/propane but I'm not deadset on a Generac.  Can you briefly explain Kohler's advantages?  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
My Generac came with a cheap pad. Of course I built a concrete pad to put that on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top