Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 9:34:44 PM EDT
I am thinking about trying my hand at smoking. Is there a smoker that you guys can suggest for a novice to play around with.Also, someone at work mentioned he uses chunk charcoal which I had never heard of. So, I guess I am looking for a recommendations for a moderate priced smoker and any tips on smoking. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Masterbuilt Sportsman smoker.  http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Sportsman-Elite-2-Door-Propane-Smoker/product/10226688/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT I can use it with charcoal or propane.  I'm no expert.  More of an entry level smoker.  Still, I've had good results with it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I was toying around with getting a Big Green Egg, but just couldn't pull the trigger on dropping that much money.  Several of my friends have them though and you can't argue with the results.  Then I saw the one below at Lowes.  Initially I was skeptical, thinking that for $800+ less it couldn't possibly be as good. I read a bunch of reviews on line and they were almost all very positive. So, I spent about $400 on it and it is absolutely awesome. It holds temperature great, and is so air tight that when you're done cooking just close the vents and it goes out. I've cooked 3-4 times on one loading of lump charcoal. I did a pork butt a couple of weeks ago, cooked it at 285 for 7 hours with one loading of lump coal.  It is so easy to control the temps.

Another benefit is that even when it's hot inside, it never gets more than warm on the outside.  Very safe if you have kids running around, because they can't burn themselves on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-16620-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue/dp/B00GJEPTJS
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an Oklahoma Joe's purchased at Lowe's. It's a fairly heavy built unit and it will maintain 250 degrees in this weather with a small (about 1 1/2"X1 1/2"X 8") piece of pecan about every half hour.

I started at 14:00 hrs one day with hamburgers and hot dogs, then cooked ribs for about 4 1/2 hours and then cooked 4 huge Boston Butts till 05:30 the next morning. All with about a half wheel barrow of pecan splits.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
My suggestion for a good smoker to start with is this el cheapo WalMart version.

The legs won't get loose, you will have good control over the oxygen, it is cheap, and it will last you a long time.  Mine is at least 10 years old.  I just throw a layer of high heat paint on it every few years to keep the rust slightly at bay.

I actually use it more than my Backwoods Fatboy, which is just too big for most of the smoking I do anymore.

The last time I was in Memphis (2005), the team I was on won the People's Choice award at the Memphis in May Barbecue contest.  (Gotta toot that horn when I get a chance.)  While a fancy smoker is really nice and makes cooking easier, barbecue really is one of those things where it is a poor carpenter that blames his tools.

The type of charcoal your friend spoke of was lump charcoal. It looks like preburned wood.  I use the lump I get at my local Menard's, and don't have a brand preference.  I do like to throw a couple of sticks of hickory or oak into the firebox from time to time just to get a good smoke.

One last piece of advice is that you should do everything in your power to keep from completely closing off the smokestack if you end up with a smoker like the above. Closing it too much will add to the creosote you end up with on your meat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Old Country Pecos at Academy for 399
A little better design but similar to the OK Joes IMHO.
It has a baffle between the heat box and smoke box which helps in heat control.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, this is going to sound un-American, but go get you one of those electric smokers!  I usually run about 4 batches of chips through it (every 30 min for 2 hrs), then set the temp for 250, 275, wrap the meat in foil, and go to bed.   No muss, no fuss, babysits itself.  Comes out great.

BUT, again, this may be considered heresy by the traditional barbequers!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Just started smoking, re-purposed my Weber kettle.Linky

I had one so it did not cost nuffin to get into smoking. Just bought a good thermometer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Not being a smart ass, but smokers are like guns, where will it end?

I really want this one:

Lang 60" Deluxe
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
You can make a small one out of scrape wood or a tarp for really cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC6wNRaG0UE
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I would like to make one out of an old propane tank too... I don't have the cutting welding skills to do it I'm afraid.

Propane Tank Smoker Plans
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an old version of this little smoker and it works great:

Mine is the old one from back when the pan's handle was metal instead of plastic (yes it burns you if you touch it without pliers or a glove )

I got it at a yard sale for $1 back when I was 10 or 12, and have found it works great for small/hobby smoking. Sure I can't smoke enough meats for all winter in it at once, but I can fit a turkey or goose in it quite well.

For a starter one with minimal investment, they're reliable and easy to use, though I'd probably take off the plastic handle from the pan since I'm not a fan of plastic near heat.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I am between smokers at the moment and have built many variations over the years.  In the next day or two i am going to smoke turkey breast.  I will just convert an old kettle grill to do it.  Cheap, easy and a great way to play with smoke.  If you like, I will put up some pics for you after I do it.

The lump charcoal your friend told you about is often sold as Cowboy charcoal.  Much better for smoking and often found at local HW stores.  I keep it in 5 gallon buckets with a lid on it.

While I am on old school and would prefer to use a hole in the ground, bricks, stones, old appliances, even car trunks, my brother uses the newest digital controlled electric smokers and his stuff is as good as any I have made.  How you prep is a big part of your end results.  Good recipes, good ingredients and patience pay off with smoking.  If you are like Waldo & DocGP get the digital controlled.  Better to make great food then a pile of smoked shit from a "real fire."
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had one so it did not cost nuffin to get into smoking. Just bought a good thermometer.
View Quote

same here.  It takes a little more effort to monitor but I don't have the room for a dedicated smoker.  I can to a whole chicken just fine on it.  I have a wireless dual probe temp gauge for grill temp and meat temp.  If you set your fire up just right and adjust the vents correctly it can smoke a pork loin for about 6 hours on a small amount of charcoal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
as DrCyCoe commented.. if you have one of the old dome top Brinkman kettle grills and a fish or turkey cooker... the ring on my old fish cooker was just the right diameter to set the kettle cooker on top... use the bottom pan for wet hardwood chips, and the other pan for water or apple juice.. couple of racks for meat or fish and with a good adjustable valve to control the burner on the fish cooker ... keep the temp around 225F and have at it
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a big believer in the electric assist genre of smokers. You get the real smoke, and the benefit of constant temp. And, pretty much unattended. I have had the Smokin' Tex smoker for years, and am very pleased. Really good stuff. A little pricey, but when you get your legs, and want to invest, this is a great way to go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Had a friend made a smoker out of a brand new galvanized garbage can with a hotplate heating element and a pop rivet gun and round grills. Made some great tasting butts in it...

In fact you can Google it and see all kinds of them..
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used numerous offset types in the 200 dollar price range and always burned out the fire boxes because of thin steel. I've gone through a couple of the weber smokey mountains never had enough room on them. I bit the bullet on an XL green egg and wish I would have bought that when I first saw them years ago. If you are serious about an all around smoker / grill / ceramic cooker and you enjoy cooking, buy it and get it over with. You'll save money by never having to replace it and use a lot less charcoal in the process. They are extremely efficient.

And lump charcoal is what you need to use in it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy once, cry once. Get a Cookshack.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
On the cheap, the weber kettle (one touch silver) with a smokenator, flip up grate, and a maverick works great.  It an investment of a little over $200 but produces q on par with anything if you tend it properly.

I've owned a smokin tex, it was easy to use but small ish and electric doesn't produce the best flavor and color. Same holds true for masterbuilt.

I own a humphrys downeast beast and have cooked on my teammates backwoods fat boy, but as others mentioned they're a bit large, expensive, and take a while to get to temp.  They're awesome for large and long cooks but too much for a rack of ribs or two. Smaller versions start at around $1k.

I owned a cheap offset. It was a pita and rusted out pretty quick.

My advice to a new smoker is go with the weber if you have to patience to monitor it for hours on end, electric if you want something set and forget.  From there, if you decide you want to step up your game or go larger, the only obstacle is $.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

same here.  It takes a little more effort to monitor but I don't have the room for a dedicated smoker.  I can to a whole chicken just fine on it.  I have a wireless dual probe temp gauge for grill temp and meat temp.  If you set your fire up just right and adjust the vents correctly it can smoke a pork loin for about 6 hours on a small amount of charcoal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just found something interesting for my kettle Stoven conversion kit. I am tempted, a local dealer has the kit for $290.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got the larger side box chargrill one like OK Joe's (one I wanted but $$$).
Anyway...I just run lump charcoal or briquettes ...since I have four large hickory trees in my yard and some oak...guess what I use.
Mostly use the briquettes to just have a coal base....toss on some sticks or small 4 inch by 10 inch logs and let it go.
I don't heavy smoke like I used to...
I've debated making a house box style smoker to do jerkiest etc.but the dehydrator works for that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks to all for your help. I think at this point I am leaning towards the Masterbuilt propane. Seems like for the money the value is there.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:43:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone here smoke meat as a preservative measure for storage? I'm curious how that looks compared to smoking as cooking/flavoring for immediate consumption.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag for interest.

I just passed on a chance to get a Mastercraft 30" digital smoker barely used for $60. I've never smoked before and I wasn't sure I'd get into it enough to justify the garage space.

Kinda wishing I got it now.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, we don't smoke a lot, but here's what I've found...

Cabela's electric doesn't provide enough heat to smoke.

Master Forge propane works good, but I had to have better.

Englander pellet stove/smoker, is electronic, pellets are readily available at your farm and ranch supply store i.e. Apple, Hickory, Mesquite, or 4 flavors.

And it's huge, we did a turkey in it this last year.

Down part is that it was $700.00 at 40% off price.

Rancher
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]
This, hands down....

Once you get your feet wet with that Brinkman and think you are king shit, buy a ceramic smoker:

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Pit Barrel cooker. Have had this for about a year and have had no issues. A real set it and forget it smoker, which helps because I also make the side dishes and stuff. It's a vertical drum smoker that uses a hanging method where you can cook 8 racks of ribs at once.

Here is a review of it, it being named one of the best backyard smokers for two years running.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#29]
wifey got me this a year ago or so for christmas.. my first.. i absolutely love it!  i grill a lot and used to smoke alot on traditional style grills with charcoal... but this thing is the trick for me!  love it...love it...love it!!!

http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Sportsman-Elite-30-Elite-Digital-Electric-Smoker/product/1210270941325/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top