BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If the banking systems shut down, all atm's, accounts inaccessible, etc etc
how quickly or seamlessly could you make a transition to various forms of barter or trade.
View Quote

Food is an obvious thing to think of, but if the banking and ATM systems went down and/or food availability was even possibly an issue, we'd have much bigger things to worry about than barter.

For short term stuff, a little bit of money can go a long way to get some stuff that is cheap but taken for granted and easily barterable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
So how do you store 5k in cash at home?  Coffee can in the backyard? Tucked under the mattress?  What are some ideas for storing that much money?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So how do you store 5k in cash at home?  Coffee can in the backyard? Tucked under the mattress?  What are some ideas for storing that much money?
View Quote

The same place I store the thousands of dollars in firearms I own.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If storing thousands of dollars of firearms and say 5k cash, how much did you spend on your safe?

Did you mount it per instructions, or if you won't read instructions did you at least play on youtube for videos of safemounting and watch a few instructional videos and then watch people trying to move heavy objects in poorly chosen manners?

And is your 5k in 1 dollar bills?  Does it fit in a shoebox or are we up to a boot box?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What the hell is "suspicious activity"?    We bank at WF for the convenience of lots of local branches, but.......?

$1k cash on your person is always a good idea, especially when the country and the world is going all to hell.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now the reason I bring this up.   I bank with wells fargo.   at 4pm yesterday i tried to make a cash withdrawal of 40 bucks from the teller using the drive thru
she said my accounts have been locked for suspicious activity.

How many people could transition from normalcy to shtf with no bumps in the road.

thanks for your ears/eyes.

What the hell is "suspicious activity"?    We bank at WF for the convenience of lots of local branches, but.......?

$1k cash on your person is always a good idea, especially when the country and the world is going all to hell.  

I wondered the same thing and I have not been given any specific answer as of yet.  ("suspicious")

unless shopping on amazon or firehouse subs counts.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Suspicious activity is why I figure everyone should have 2 different banking institutions they use, and  those institutions should be very very seperate.

Still also gonna want a card or two not related to either of those institutions.

I have not heard of it happening but figure with my luck a lock on an account for suspicious activity would probably cause the bank to lock the checking account and any cards through that institution.

It has been a couple decades but I was between jobs and sold a few things to free up some cash.  Put cash in the bank.

Wanted to go to gun show the next weekend, went to withdraw money and it was rather amusing that I was asked questions about why I wanted cash and what not.

Learned long ago how a bank feels about its money vs. my money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If storing thousands of dollars of firearms and say 5k cash, how much did you spend on your safe?

Did you mount it per instructions, or if you won't read instructions did you at least play on youtube for videos of safemounting and watch a few instructional videos and then watch people trying to move heavy objects in poorly chosen manners?

And is your 5k in 1 dollar bills?  Does it fit in a shoebox or are we up to a boot box?
View Quote

Currently my safe is of sufficient quality to meet the requirements of my insurance policy. However, when I get a few other things taken care of I am upgrading to a Amsec RF6528 which runs in the $6k+ range. It, and the current safe, will be mounted properly to the foundation, in a corner. In a hardened room. With monitored security alarm and cameras.

As to the cash, I prefer mainly $20s and $100s. I do have my "stripper" stash of singles that accumulate due to an old saving habit of never spending them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well sure, the cashier at Walmart doesn't really give a rats arse if you use Cash or CC. Hell she probably prefers CC cause she doesn't have to make change.

Outside of that narrow window....

Let's see, EVERY single contractor that did anything on our house took at least 10% off for being paid with cash. Adding 1,400 square feet on to the house, all masonry, etc. We are talking easily $4-5K saved with that sort of negotiating.

I guess you really have to be in business or DIRECTLY responsible for money in a business to really get this anymore. The "I get a check on Friday whether I do crap all week or not" types probably will never get this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Significant" means different things to different people. Someone freaked on here when I suggested more than an emergency $20. tucked away in their wallet. I don't know if mommy doesn't "let" them have money but $20. ain't gonna get you far and may not even buy a "favor" of a tow now a days.

snip

Well sure, the cashier at Walmart doesn't really give a rats arse if you use Cash or CC. Hell she probably prefers CC cause she doesn't have to make change.

Outside of that narrow window....

Let's see, EVERY single contractor that did anything on our house took at least 10% off for being paid with cash. Adding 1,400 square feet on to the house, all masonry, etc. We are talking easily $4-5K saved with that sort of negotiating.

I guess you really have to be in business or DIRECTLY responsible for money in a business to really get this anymore. The "I get a check on Friday whether I do crap all week or not" types probably will never get this.

Very true but if you have never been self employed (especially in the trades) you wont understand it. I have been known to give some pretty good cash discounts depending on how good of a year I've had. Say it's Nov and you realize you underestimated your 1/4 ly's by a lot, guess what for the next two months you'll get 10-20% off by paying me cash, I'll give you 15% off and I still come out ahead mainly because of SE tax.

The biggest problem with large amounts of cash is cash isn't as easy to spend as it once was.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top