Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire starting is becoming a lost art.  I had my scouts up at camp this summer and the first two days we had constant rain.  The kids first night the kids were cold and simply didn't have it in them to get a fire going and just huddled together under some tarps.  I went and got a couple wet logs,  split them several times to expose the dry centers, shaved some tinder and kindling from them, then started a fire using a ferro rod.  I always keep several feet of jute cord in my pocket with the ferro rod - you can make a tinder ball quickly  by unraveling the fibers and it will catch a spark instantly.  I had a small fire going within a few minutes, and within several minutes it was hot enough to burn the damp logs and branches that were laying out.  We boiled some water for hot chocolate, and the kids were enjoying themselves again.  Fortunately, starting a fire in the rain with supposedly wet materials intrigued some of the boys and they asked how I did it.  By the end of the week they were well on their way to learning how to be proficient fire starters.  Dry tinder can usually be had in most wet conditions, it just takes persistence and some knowledge of where to look.  Of course the best strategy is to plan ahead and have the materials on hand and protected ahead of time.  You can pack fuel and firestarters in, but I think it is more fun to find them on scene.

Why the ferro rod and jute?  It is lightweight, can get wet, be dried out quickly and still light a fire, and for the amount of space it takes, I can start hundreds of fires versus a lighter or matches.  All very conducive towards backpacking, but once I learned the skills, I found it easier to just use the ferro rod to start all of my fires.  For a real challenge, try learning primitive firemaking skills.  The bow and drill is the easiest.  I can get a fire started on the first try pretty consistently within a few minutes if I bring my own tinder or have access to dry tinder.  Try making your own kit from natural materials for more challenge.  I am currently learning how to hand drill - much more difficult, but I have managed to get a few coals with a kit I purchased online.  I admire the people who can assemble a hand drill kit out in nature and get a fire going.  It is not an easy feat.  Why primitive firemaking?  It will greatly improve your ability to start a fire in general, especially in adverse weather, and secondly, I think it is just cool as hell to be able to do it.  I don't know about it making you more connected to nature, it is just fun.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fire starting is becoming a lost art.  I had my scouts up at camp this summer and the first two days we had constant rain.  The kids first night the kids were cold and simply didn't have it in them to get a fire going and just huddled together under some tarps.  I went and got a couple wet logs,  split them several times to expose the dry centers, shaved some tinder and kindling from them, then started a fire using a ferro rod.  I always keep several feet of jute cord in my pocket with the ferro rod - you can make a tinder ball quickly  by unraveling the fibers and it will catch a spark instantly.  I had a small fire going within a few minutes, and within several minutes it was hot enough to burn the damp logs and branches that were laying out.  We boiled some water for hot chocolate, and the kids were enjoying themselves again.  Fortunately, starting a fire in the rain with supposedly wet materials intrigued some of the boys and they asked how I did it.  By the end of the week they were well on their way to learning how to be proficient fire starters.  Dry tinder can usually be had in most wet conditions, it just takes persistence and some knowledge of where to look.  Of course the best strategy is to plan ahead and have the materials on hand and protected ahead of time.  You can pack fuel and firestarters in, but I think it is more fun to find them on scene.

Why the ferro rod and jute?  It is lightweight, can get wet, be dried out quickly and still light a fire, and for the amount of space it takes, I can start hundreds of fires versus a lighter or matches.  All very conducive towards backpacking, but once I learned the skills, I found it easier to just use the ferro rod to start all of my fires.  For a real challenge, try learning primitive firemaking skills.  The bow and drill is the easiest.  I can get a fire started on the first try pretty consistently within a few minutes if I bring my own tinder or have access to dry tinder.  Try making your own kit from natural materials for more challenge.  I am currently learning how to hand drill - much more difficult, but I have managed to get a few coals with a kit I purchased online.  I admire the people who can assemble a hand drill kit out in nature and get a fire going.  It is not an easy feat.  Why primitive firemaking?  It will greatly improve your ability to start a fire in general, especially in adverse weather, and secondly, I think it is just cool as hell to be able to do it.  I don't know about it making you more connected to nature, it is just fun.

View Quote

Good job getting involved in the scouts. It's true that discomfort makes for great teaching/learning moments.

I'd add that getting flame is only the first step in "fire making". Learning how to lay a useful fire, how to maintain it, how to use the lay out, etc as well as the different types of fire lays is a lot more to learn.

There are many different types of fire lays, each with different uses. (keyhole, log cabin, tipi, Dakota hole, parallel hearth, etc.

I find that, next to ferro rod, regular flint and steel is a pretty reliable and rewarding method for the scouts.

Jake starting fire with flint and steel

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
We read this story in high school.  I think about it often in cold weather:  Jack London - to build a fire
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I just go out in the yard every two weeks or so and work on my fire starting.
I will use a ferro rod, magnifying glass, etc.
Also will try char cloth and Vaseline soaked cotton balls.
I always have these thing in my fire starting kit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#5]
As the old saying goes practice makes perfect, and if we don't practice in the rain and adverse conditions then your only fooling yourself!  I myself need to head out in rain and practice with my ferry rods.

While I always carry multiple methods for fire, I always try the ferro rod first and in actuality (unless I am in a hurry) use it more then any other method.  Close second would be my old brass zippo which is part of my EDC.  Ferro rod rides with my leatherman wave for EDC.

I always carry a small candle in my emergency fire kits or hunting survival kits.  Light a candle with a bic and if you can't get a fire going that way you need to practice.

My bushcraft/ belt fire kit consists of a ferry rod ranger banded to the outside of an altiods tin.  In the tin rides a bic, small candle, waxed jute twine, and natural jute twine.  Everything necessary for fire in almost all conditions.

I also don't understand the altitude issue,  I camped (while on a hunting trip) in the Rockies for 7 days at just over 9000' in elevation and I had no issues with my zippo or bic lighters.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep a couple of these squares alongside all fire starting tools.  They're only about $10/box bought locally.  I've never been able to figure out why people will haul around lighters, waterproof matches, flint & steel, Blastmatches, etc. but can't seem to find enough space to include a little reliable tinder... which is arguably just as important.
View Quote

I have those in my bag as well.  Fire is pretty important to me...I carry windproof matches, mag/steel, a lighter...and a prescription bottle filled with vaselined cotton, as well as the fire squares.

I've had bad luck finding dry tinder in wet weather.  I try to carry it with me.

You know, I've never thought about carrying a flare in my bag.  That's not a bad idea, and useful for more than just fire.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really concentrate on finding dead wood that i can whittle dry tinder out of.  I whittle a nice big pile and then feather the wood to make super fine material to light. Even then if can be hard to light. I think I will start taking a handkerchief to put my tinder on as I cut it.
View Quote

This.  I typically baton into the dry center and feather stick that.  Bringing your own dry tinder to put in the center tends to help as well for overcoming that damp problem.

The flare is a good idea.  Need to add that to my stuff.  I also like the vaseline-cotton ball thing (it's cheap, easy, and it works).
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys must not have much birch bark in you AO.  If its dry it will take a spark from a ferro rod, provided you work it a bit.  damp/wet you can light it with a lighter.

White/ paper birch is the best:

Yellow birch works but not as well:

Cedar would be my third choice...  You can make a really good tinder bundle with this.  Look for the inner bark if its wet out:

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You guys must not have much birch bark in you AO.  If its dry it will take a spark from a ferro rod, provided you work it a bit.  damp/wet you can light it with a lighter.

White/ paper birch is the best:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/BushClass/DSCF0050_zpsa5d326a1.jpg

Yellow birch works but not as well:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/BushClass/DSCF0006_zpsb1f176de.jpg

Cedar would be my third choice...  You can make a really good tinder bundle with this.  Look for the inner bark if its wet out:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/thederrick106/BushClass/DSCF0030_zpsaf952834.jpg

View Quote
Nope, not in our grove.

We have siberian elm, American elm, few ash, sugar maple, oak, box elder, hickory, and maybe one or two of this or that mixed in.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I keep a couple of these squares alongside all fire starting tools.  They're only about $10/box bought locally.  I've never been able to figure out why people will haul around lighters, waterproof matches, flint & steel, Blastmatches, etc. but can't seem to find enough space to include a little reliable tinder... which is arguably just as important.
View Quote

I like those  little squares. They can be made by cutting up commercial fire logs with a hatchet. I use fire logs cut up this way for my wood stove on occasion. Those fire logs can be found on sale after winter for half price or less. DuraFlame makes a match tip fire starter like this one marketed by Coleman   http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Strike-a-Fire/13848648?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=HBUkI9RTi8QLcYI4waYPEk&category=&client_guid=b0dcf62e-d4dd-453c-881d-3593d36bd57c&customer_id_enc=&config_id=105&parent_item_id=23370184&guid=c6fcb1a9-45ce-4d64-a3ac-8872053454f8&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.0&findingMethod=p13n  A couple in the bottom of a pack weigh next to nothing, are handy and provide enough "umph" to get a fie going even in bad conditions. The three musts, water,  fire,  food, and not always in that order.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
tinder is the hardest part of starting a fire by friction.

You need really ideal conditions - dry grass, dry moss, birch bark or dry crumbly bark, really fine dry twigs (like birds nest)....

Or a zip lock baggie full of dryer lint.
View Quote

was just going to post that...I have dryers lint saved up just for that purpose.  I thought I had read somewhere that you can mix this with wax also ?  has anyone done that?

I think this weekend I'll have to try my flint and steel skills out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
was just going to post that...I have dryers lint saved up just for that purpose.  I thought I had read somewhere that you can mix this with wax also ?  has anyone done that?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

tinder is the hardest part of starting a fire by friction.

You need really ideal conditions - dry grass, dry moss, birch bark or dry crumbly bark, really fine dry twigs (like birds nest)....

Or a zip lock baggie full of dryer lint.

If you stuff dryer lint into an empty cardboard egg carton, then pour melted wax on it, you get 12 very good fire starters for little money. I once put one of these on my grill, lit it, and time how long it would burn. 14 minutes for that one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top