Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/12/2014 9:27:54 AM EDT
Thinking of a plain jane suv or van. Something that would blend in anywhere, not draw attention from law enforcement, hood rats, desperate FSA types and where you could leave a small cashe of SHTF supplies in it year around (rotated as necessary). something that is not high on the auto-burg or GTA list. (Toyota Trucks are near #1 in that catagory , at least in our region)

Now I know I'll get flooded with diesel 4x4 trucks, and they are not a bad choice, but are there other less conspicuous choices?

Like a plain Chevy suburban or a ford van, or expedition....something that is NOT A DIESEL TRUCK. I am not saying they are not a good choice, but aside from them, what is another choice?

Had to amend the title, most of what folks were posting was bug out vehicles.

So I'll say this in bold, not to be rude, but so everyone will see it before posting....

A VEHICLE THAT YOU DRIVE EVERYDAY, WILL NEGOTIATE MOST CITY AND COUNTRY ROAD HAZARDS IF PRESSED INTO IT, WILL CARRY EXPENSIVE GEAR ALL DAY, EVERYDAY.

MUST NOT LOOK LIKE A TEMPTING TARGET TO STEAL OR BREAK INTO.  REMEMBER, YOU ARE DRIVING THIS TO WORK, SCHOOL, PICK UP THE KIDS, BUY GROCERIES EVERYDAY. SO IT HAS TO BLEND IN AND NOT STAND OUT.

WILL NOT ATTRACT THE ATTENTION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT, REMEMBER, IT WILL HAVE GEAR IN IT THAT WILL MAKE LOTS OF GUYS IN LAW ENFORCEMENT PERK UP AND GET INTO YOUR BUSINESS EVEN DEEPER IF SPOTTED WHEN  STOPPED OR OTHERWISE CHECKED OUT AT, SAY, A ROAD BLOCK OR DUI CHECK POINT!
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#1]
jetta diesel.
older beat up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
jetta diesel.
older beat up.
View Quote

tough to drive over sidewalks  and curbs etc.(Iknow I didn't specify what it would be used for, but come on, SHTF is not a drive to the park)

Tha'ts why I did not post cars, otherwise I would just get an olds 88  or buick LeSaber.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

tough to drive over sidewalks  and curbs etc.(Iknow I didn't specify what it would be used for, but come on, SHTF is not a drive to the park)

Tha'ts why I did not post cars, otherwise I would just get an olds 88  or buick LeSaber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
jetta diesel.
older beat up.

Had an Olds 88 with the police package. Wow.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#4]
For SHTF diesel is a good option because gas will become unavailable much faster.

One of these would not standout in much of the country:

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I just traded in my 2012 ram 1500 sport with a mild lift for an 08 4runner. Things will last forever and look like grocery getter, but can do some serious off roading. With a mild lift (like a 2 inch front and 1 inch rear spacer) you can even get more places and feel more like a man in it. I have about 3 inches in the front and 2 in the rear with BFG A/T KO's. I am loving it. Get a roof rack for when you need it or a small trailer. I have a 14' trailer and roof rack SHTF. still looks stock just with bigger tires. You can also put a hidden hitch in the front bumper, working on this now. If you want a pic just send me your email.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
When SHTF and your rolling, it does not matter what it is, You are announcing "I have fuel and maybe supplies".  Your gonna attract attention.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For SHTF diesel is a good option because gas will become unavailable much faster.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/468/2061/38668530001_original.jpg?v=1

View Quote

And when you need to get off road on the fly or turn around in a small area in a hurry? Have fun with that 12 point turn...

Just saying.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I fully understand the allure of lifting and putting winches and heavy bumpers on a truck. Believe me, I gravitate toward those things too. However, that defeats the point of "stealth"

Be honest, any truck you see on the road that has that stuff attracts your attention to it. Think of all the gun store commandos that will find themselves painfully short when the real SHTF and they are looking for a truck to jack (believe it's possible) or a over zelous LEO that would target you as a "militia" type (earned or not)

Face it, I see trucks all day and so do you that broadcast to the observant person that "this truck is set up for something"

But are there SUV's or vans that could get the job done in a majority of situations that would not look like they were set up for SHTF?

I would even settle for a stock looking SUV with unseen modifications.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thinking of a plain jane suv or van. Something that would blend in anywhere, not draw attention from law enforcement, hood rats, desperate FSA types and where you could leave a small cashe of SHTF supplies in it year around (rotated as necessary). something that is not high on the auto-burg or GTA list. (Toyota Trucks are near #1 in that catagory , at least in our region)

Now I know I'll get flooded with diesel 4x4 trucks, and they are not a bad choice, but are there other less conspicous choices?

Like a plain Chevy suburban or a ford van, or expedition....something that is NOT A DIESEL TRUCK. I am not saying they are not a good choice, but aside from them, what is another choice?
View Quote

Chevrolet Duramax gets 620 miles to a tank of fuel. I'm sure the F250 and dodge trucks are similar. How can they not be the obvious choice. As for leaving a "Cache" of weapons and supplies in it year round. You are begging to be a victim.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I fully understand the allure of lifting and putting winches and heavy bumpers on a truck. Believe me, I gravitate toward those things too. However, that defeats the point of "stealth"

Be honest, any truck you see on the road that has that stuff attracts your attention to it. Think of all the gun store commandos that will find themselves painfully short when the real SHTF and they are looking for a truck to jack (believe it's possible) or a over zelous LEO that would target you as a "militia" type (earned or not)

Face it, I see trucks all day and so do you that broadcast to the observant person that "this truck is set up for something"

But are there SUV's or vans that could get the job done in a majority of situations that would not look like they were set up for SHTF?

View Quote

Meh, get outta here, you're upsetting my fantasy dreams.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Subaru. Capable vehicle and you won't be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or be taking anything with you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When SHTF and your rolling, it does not matter what it is, You are announcing "I have fuel and maybe supplies".  Your gonna attract attention.
View Quote

Yes, absolutely, but in that twilight time before it gets to that, or in the time leading up to then, Like now ,sort of ,where you want to have some good stuff with you everyday but have to keep it on the down low.

I agree, in a "Rodney King" type breaK down anything that moves will be a target, but how about (next week, next month, next year?) when your going about your business but there was a high level of "tension" in the air and you would rather be locked and loaded, but not look like you are.

A good horse (mule?) under you that doesn't look like a throughbred would be pretty benificial.

I'm just trying some out of the box thinking exercizes.

Part of my query is I have seen a few "government" SUV's around lately, I know what's in a few of them because I've talked with some of these guys as a LEO, and what they have packed in these is sometimes awe inspiring.

Now , we all know what a FED truck looks like, (all black, tinted windows, 4x4, big motor, etc) but could a civilian come up with something along the same "concept" without the tell tale signs?
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Chevrolet Duramax gets 620 miles to a tank of fuel. I'm sure the F250 and dodge trucks are similar. How can they not be the obvious choice. As for leaving a "Cache" of weapons and supplies in it year round. You are begging to be a victim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I know I'll get flooded with diesel 4x4 trucks, and they are not a bad choice, but are there other less conspicous choices?

Hence the "stealth" type vehicle that would not tempt thieves to even notice the vehicle, would just walk on by.

How many "Dry Cleaning vans" get pinched for their valuable cargo? How many "soccer mom SUV's" attract the attention of LEO's if they are driving the speed limit and following traffic laws?

And I already stipulated the "No diesel trucks obvious answer"

This is a mental exercize, not a pre packaged big box answer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#15]
White Ford pick up truck. The Ford F series is the #1 selling vehicle in America . Even a 2 wheel drive one will climb most curbs and obstacles
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes, absolutely, but in that twilight time before it gets to that, or in the time leading up to then, Like now ,sort of ,where you want to have some good stuff with you everyday but have to keep it on the down low.

I agree, in a "Rodney King" type breaK down anything that moves will be a target, but how about (next week, next month, next year?) when your going about your business but there was a high level of "tension" in the air and you would rather be locked and loaded, but not look like you are.

A good horse (mule?) under you that doesn't look like a throughbred would be pretty benificial.

Part of my query is I have seen a few "government" SUV's around lately, I know what's in a few of them because I've talked with some of these guys as a LEO, and what they have packed in these is sometimes awe inspiring.

Now , we all know what a FED truck looks like, (all black, tinted windows, 4x4, big motor, etc) but could a civilian come up with something along the same "concept" without the tell tale signs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fund some beat up old tahoe or suburban from 94 to 99.  Make it a sleeper (rough looking, excellent running).

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already have stuff prepositioned elsewhere for long term events, looking for a "get home vehicle" kind of idea during troubled times but still be an everyman's type vehicle.

There is merit in a Subaru or a plain F150 double cab, or a plain SUV, so what is the most capable out of the box?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, and most likely I am just overthinking this, but I wanted to see if there was something out there where it was a good idea that wasn't the obviously good idea.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fund some beat up old tahoe or suburban from 94 to 99.  Make it a sleeper (rough looking, excellent running).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I kind of had that thought as well.

The only pause I have is the time and money invested in getting it there.

Old cars and trucks are neat, but they are labor intensive and sometimes will suprise you with an unexpected breakdown that you just hadn't gotton to yet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Find a toyota 4 door suv, then have a shop convert it to the diesel engine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
You over estimate the observation power of the 99%. But if you want something no one will notice get a ford ranger 2wd and beat up.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Old cars and trucks are neat, but they are labor intensive and sometimes will suprise you with an unexpected breakdown that you just hadn't gotton to yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a 94 burb 4x4.  It looke like hell, but Id drive it any where any time.  It really does spend most of its life off road and rarely in 4L, 2x4 typically.

I didn't spend a bunch on it, and it has done way more than it should ever had, and keeps right on running....  Still, overall, the best truck  have ever had.

With gas the way it is, they are a dime a dozen right how....

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
And when you need to get off road on the fly or turn around in a small area in a hurry? Have fun with that 12 point turn...

Just saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/468/2061/38668530001_original.jpg?v=1

Just saying.

Everything is a compromise.  Try getting a rav 4 through a car that decides to block you path. Either scenario could happen but only the larger vehicle is going to clear the more likely one.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#23]
jeep cherokee stock height. small AT's
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Mountain bike.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Jeep Cherokee with the 2.5l diesel?
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thinking of a plain jane suv or van. Something that would blend in
anywhere, not draw attention from law enforcement, hood rats, desperate
FSA types
View Quote
so what kind of SHTF do you envision where just a moving vehicle will not bring attention???

The type of vehicle will be irrelevant, any vehicle with gas, running, and moving will be a target in shtf.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Toyota 4Runner.  Hands down.  Put a nice set of rubber on it and you can go anywhere.  I had a '97 Runner with a set of Yokahoma Geolander tires (wanted a solid all terrain tire, and they were on sale)  I was not doing extreme off roading but I could never get it stuck and I could go anywhere I needed.  and its nice being able to lock stuff inside of its cab.  Thats a lot of locking storage.

They look good in the city and when out in the country they look just the same.  Not out of place.  I lived in small town in the mountains of Idaho and never felt or looked like a flat lander when out cruising the mountain trails.  

Only reason I got rid of mine was because I had been looking for a truck, my dad was looking to sell his Tundra and get something that would be better suited to family driving.  So I cut a deal with him.

I will warn you there are a few common issues with the late 90's Runners, nothing major but deffinately something I would want to keep an eye out for on a SHTF vehicle.
#1:  This is the most serious but the rear axels on the Runners have a seal in them that likes to go out.   If you are fairly mechanically inclined its simple to replace, I did it at the age of 17.  Its not something that when it goes out your car is unusuable but when it goes out it leaks oil into the rear brakes and if not found soon enough eventually will ruin the axel.  Get on any Yota forums and I think there are a few fixes that can be found.

#2:  The factory rack in pinion is garbage.  I had to replace mine on my '97 two years ago.  Its a common problem and when you replace it you can put one in that shouldnt wear out for a long time.  Take it to any tire shop and have them align it, also have them check the R&P.  If its bad they will just tell you that they cant guarantee the car will stay aligned in the front end.  Cost me $500 to get the parts and have a guy install them.

#3: The rear suspension is known to sag.  Not an issue if you like that Trophy truck lower in the rear look, but I did drag my reciever a few times when out on trails or going off roading to get to my favorite fishing spots.  It only sags an inch or so but its enough that if you try to cross to deep of a ditch/rut your hitch with hit the ground.  It wasnt a deal breaker for me, I fixed it by putting the rear suspension from a '99 Runner in my car wich was a little bit taller and stiffer.  

I wouldnt hesitate to get another Runner.  I dont think I would get a newer one but I would try to pick up a '99-'03 one.  If you want older the '89 Runners are fantastic.  Put a solid front axel lift it a bit and you have one heck of a car, specially if it has the 22re engine in it.  I guess I just love my Toyotas.  Properly maintain them and I have seen little early 90's pickups with 400k+ miles on them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hence the "stealth" type vehicle that would not tempt thieves to even notice the vehicle, would just walk on by.

How many "Dry Cleaning vans" get pinched for their valuable cargo? How many "soccer mom SUV's" attract the attention of LEO's if they are driving the speed limit and following traffic laws?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay then sounds like a gas operated dry cleaning van is what you're looking for. Still not sure what your aversion is to a diesel truck like the vanilla looking Ford posted in this thread. You don't have to lift them or put winches and road armor bumpers on them. You want as many miles as possible out of a tank of fuel in a BOV while also having the ability to go off the beaten path and cross over obstacles when needed. A dry cleaning van and soccer mom SUV is gonna leave you sitting in line at the gas station with the rest of the suckers. YMMV

Eta: you seriously are underestimating the FSA. They will break into anything be it a lifted $65K diesel truck or a POS beater "stealth" vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double post.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#30]
A white van with ladder rack.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#31]
4x4 samurai.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I just have two nice running 4x vehicles and good tires on each.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#33]
White ford or chevy half ton van or any mini van. These are everywhere.  
Toyota corolla or camry.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#35]
IIRC The Ford Explorer is supposed to be America's all time best selling SUV.  That means they are common/unlikely to attract attention and parts should be easy to find.  I'm not very keen on them, but they may meet your requirements.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Honda Odyssey minivan.

Be the gray man.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#37]
by an old cop car, aka crown vic.  get tinted windows and make it still look as "cop" like as possible with out breaking the law.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Jeep Patriot...  4x4 and 25mpg.
No rock crawler or mud bogger but it handles anything every day use/ commuting throws at it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Toyota 4Runner.  Hands down.  Put a nice set of rubber on it and you can go anywhere.  I had a '97 Runner with a set of Yokahoma Geolander tires (wanted a solid all terrain tire, and they were on sale)  I was not doing extreme off roading but I could never get it stuck and I could go anywhere I needed.  and its nice being able to lock stuff inside of its cab.  Thats a lot of locking storage.

They look good in the city and when out in the country they look just the same.  Not out of place.  I lived in small town in the mountains of Idaho and never felt or looked like a flat lander when out cruising the mountain trails.  

Only reason I got rid of mine was because I had been looking for a truck, my dad was looking to sell his Tundra and get something that would be better suited to family driving.  So I cut a deal with him.

I will warn you there are a few common issues with the late 90's Runners, nothing major but deffinately something I would want to keep an eye out for on a SHTF vehicle.
#1:  This is the most serious but the rear axels on the Runners have a seal in them that likes to go out.   If you are fairly mechanically inclined its simple to replace, I did it at the age of 17.  Its not something that when it goes out your car is unusuable but when it goes out it leaks oil into the rear brakes and if not found soon enough eventually will ruin the axel.  Get on any Yota forums and I think there are a few fixes that can be found.

#2:  The factory rack in pinion is garbage.  I had to replace mine on my '97 two years ago.  Its a common problem and when you replace it you can put one in that shouldnt wear out for a long time.  Take it to any tire shop and have them align it, also have them check the R&P.  If its bad they will just tell you that they cant guarantee the car will stay aligned in the front end.  Cost me $500 to get the parts and have a guy install them.

#3: The rear suspension is known to sag.  Not an issue if you like that Trophy truck lower in the rear look, but I did drag my reciever a few times when out on trails or going off roading to get to my favorite fishing spots.  It only sags an inch or so but its enough that if you try to cross to deep of a ditch/rut your hitch with hit the ground.  It wasnt a deal breaker for me, I fixed it by putting the rear suspension from a '99 Runner in my car wich was a little bit taller and stiffer.  

I wouldnt hesitate to get another Runner.  I dont think I would get a newer one but I would try to pick up a '99-'03 one.  If you want older the '89 Runners are fantastic.  Put a solid front axel lift it a bit and you have one heck of a car, specially if it has the 22re engine in it.  I guess I just love my Toyotas.  Properly maintain them and I have seen little early 90's pickups with 400k+ miles on them.
View Quote

Absolutely! I vote 4th gen. The new ones are nice as well but the 2003-2009's are now proven. 4runners are now the only true full frame off road SUV on the market. I ran all the same questions and scenarios you are now and came out with the 4runner. They keep up with wranglers and beat them a lot offroad. Main point is their advanced 4x4.

I could also go 550 miles with my Ram 1500...and it 32 gallon tank. I can go 400+ with the 4runner and it is on $55 to fill. throw a small can in the back and you meet it with a better more maneuverable vehicle.

Check out T4R .org All the info you could want on 4runners. They were not even on my list until I started reading about them. They went to number 1 fast. Problem was they hold resale like a mo fo and aren't easy to find if you are picky. I drove 250 miles to Kansas City to get the one I liked.

I think you will be pleased.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#40]
86-88 Ford cargo van. Theres thousands of them around. Yes, they come in diesel too.

This is what I'm keeping my eye out for.

Most of them are generic white with few or no windows. Blend in anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Anything at least 20 years old, and in good running order should do.
preferable dented, and rusty. Here is a good test:
Do you lock the doors when parked downtown?
IF you need to lock it, it is NOT a good candidate.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
by an old cop car, aka crown vic.  get tinted windows and make it still look as "cop" like as possible with out breaking the law.

View Quote

This but make it a black or a blue Tahoe or Suburban, Easy to fly under the radar.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#43]

I agree. A Ford E350 diesel 4x4 that wasn't lifted would be perfect for this.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I just sold a 2005 F150 and bought a Toyota Tacoma.  I came really close to get a Subaru crosstrek, but I just ended up thinking it wouldn't work long term.

The only think I don't like so far on the Tacoma is the range. 3/4 of a tank is only getting me 280-300 miles.  I'm hoping after the break in the improves a little.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Whit frod or chevy truck, or white van.  Put on a yellow rotating light and youll look like every other service vehicle around.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Mountain bike.
View Quote

Probably the most realistic answer.

Anything moving on 4 wheel is going to draw attention, like it, or not.
Storing weapons in a vehicle is not a good plan.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#47]
This is the best BOV I've seen.

I can't think of anywhere you'd get a second look in a SHTF situation.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1434472__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Lets_talk_about_BOV_platforms.html&page=2#i38286125

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Honda Odyssey minivan.

Be the gray man.
View Quote

Yep.

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#49]