Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
What about an M1009 CUCV? Can be had pretty cheaply and would leave you a fair chunk of money to mod it.

(Not my pic)
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Diesel scursion /endthread.

Those things would probably sink in any kind of soft sand or dirt.

Sorry, but same stock 4Runner pulling out said stuck diesel excursion

http://s12.postimage.org/omewu86y5/image.jpg
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I like how so many of you guys are choosing gas guzzling super large rigs.

My idea of bugging out is getting the fuck out of the city and into a remote area. I would choose something like a 4runner, tacoma, cherokee, landcrusier (doesn't get very good mileage either) that gets a littler better mileage and would manuver a little better through trails and completely off road.

If your are bugging out how many times do you want to stop for gas? What if you can't?

Just my opinion. Some cool trucks here either way.

+1. PI here and I can get away with anything I want assuming I have a white utility vehicle, a reflective vest and a clipboard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Unimog.

/end thread.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm more of a logistics guy.

I plan/prepare for more than just simple evacuation.

In my AO, I've seen weather conditions prevent delivery trucks from resupplying service stations, causing them to run low on gas. Diesel was still available, though.

I've seen more need to haul sandbags, firewood, rebuilding materials, debris, etc than I have seen the need to rapidly evacuate.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Samurai. Got mine for 2800. I still have a huge chunk of 20k to spend! In fact you could probably buy and mod 2 Sammies for 20k.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Jeep Wrangler, or 2 Door Fullsize 94-99 Tahoe / Yukon 4x4

ETA:

Actual Steel Bumpers that cover wheel-to-wheel width, and do not or will not flex back into the wheel and tire assemblies.

A winch that has a pull rating 2.5x the weight of the vehicle

Supporting products for the winch...Heavy Batt, SHackles, Pull Straps, Clevises, Snatch Blocks, Chain, Enough Strap to effectively double the 100' of cable on the drum.

Tough Tires, E rated, Offroad biased, or at least offroad biased A/T of larger diameter but not real wide. Gives ground clearance without wearing weird or ruining the high speed handlng

On-board Air

On-Board welder

On-Board fire extgn

Something like this:

OOn board 12 kW PTO generator to power the built-in 6 CFM air compressor and my Dynasty 200DX.  Sure, no wire feed but for repairs, GTAW is superior.

Still looking for a 24 volt winch that won't rape my bank account.  Going to make it a temp mount affair, using the shackle mounts front and rear to mount the winch.  Since it has the NATO jump starting receptacle up front and I have a NATO jump starting cable, wiring is not an issue.  500 amps at 24 volts is plenty of winch power  I don't think they make a 15 Hp winch, it would power it.

Fire extinguisher?  5 pound purple K .  Since it is diesel, that is plenty.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rebuttal fail.

Notice it's not the end with the weight of the diesel engine that is stuck.

Driver did not have 4WD engaged, assuming the vehicle is even so equipped. Difficult to tell from pic.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rebuttal fail.

Notice it's not the end with the weight of the diesel engine that is stuck.

Driver did not have 4WD engaged, assuming the vehicle is even so equipped. Difficult to tell from pic.

4WD. Don't think they had it engaged since the back half of the truck was buried to the rails hahaha. They were strangers, got them out of there and we all had a good laugh.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
$20K?

I'd take my beloved 4Runner, outfit it, and maybe even convert it to diesel....
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
2nd generation 4X4 Dodge Ram with a 12valve Cummins manual transmission. Upgrade to 33" tires (no lift needed), add a transfer tank and winch/bumper and you're good. Simple, reliable, can be fixed roadside with a screw driver, pair of Channel Locks, duct tape and JB Weld, will tow just about any thing, go just about anywhere, tougher than $0.50 steak, fairly EMP proof and economical. These guys picking out obscure foreign military vehicles are nuts.

Plus you can push Toyotas out of the way in traffic jams.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You said towing :P

Do you want a wheeler or a work horse?

What are you more concerned about, mobility or cargo?

It was more of a question posed to the hive.

What do you think is critical to look for?

I would think that off road capability is going to be important too though.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

20k?  Personally I'd go with a mid 90's SUV, or Fullsize Bronco/ Blazer/ Ramcharger.  

Lots of them come with pretty decent 4x4, mine even with a rear locker.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Cherokee's and First Gen Explorers.   I like the exploders for the cargo capacity vs the size and maneuverability.

Sure I can't haul 20k lbs of stuff like a big Dodge truck, but I can actually turn around without using 70' (Ok, looking it up it's only 50' for a 4x4) of road, or making a 50 point turn around.
In my experience, mobility, and the ability to get through tight spots is pretty important. Bugging out from Rita, there was plenty of times jumping curbs, snaking through stalled vehicles, driving though muddy medians, and  100 mph dashes the wrong way in the opposite lane got me through and past probably tens of thousands if not more other drivers.  (6+ lanes wide, backed up 20+ miles at points)

Getting ahead of the pack from behind meant I was able to get to where the gas, food and water was before the wave of people sucked everything dry, as was evidenced when I passed through the wasteland they had left behind, as I started the evacuation late.

To me, it seems like if you're using a giant truck loaded down, especially with a trailer, you're not bugging out so much as moving.   But I'm kind of a speed and mobility guy.

Yep. That is why I got away from the deuce.

It will obviously depend on your goals, like you said.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What about an M1009 CUCV? Can be had pretty cheaply and would leave you a fair chunk of money to mod it.

(Not my pic)

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/what-worth/236141d1275888345-85-m1009-cucv-blazer-blazer.jpg

That one is in the top 5 on my list.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

2nd generation 4X4 Dodge Ram with a 12valve Cummins manual transmission. Upgrade to 33" tires (no lift needed), add a transfer tank and winch/bumper and you're good. Simple, reliable, can be fixed roadside with a screw driver, pair of Channel Locks, duct tape and JB Weld, will tow just about any thing, go just about anywhere, tougher than $0.50 steak, fairly EMP proof and economical. These guys picking out obscure foreign military vehicles are nuts.

Plus you can push Toyotas out of the way in traffic jams.

Sounds bulletproof.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Actual Steel Bumpers that cover wheel-to-wheel width, and do not or will not flex back into the wheel and tire assemblies.

Supporting products for the winch...Heavy Batt, SHackles, Pull Straps, Clevises, Snatch Blocks, Chain, Enough Strap to effectively double the 100' of cable on the drum.

Tough Tires, E rated, Offroad biased, or at least offroad biased A/T of larger diameter but not real wide. Gives ground clearance without wearing weird or ruining the high speed handlng

On-board Air

On-Board welder

On-Board fire extgn

Something like this:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42526
OOn board 12 kW PTO generator to power the built-in 6 CFM air compressor and my Dynasty 200DX.  Sure, no wire feed but for repairs, GTAW is superior.

Still looking for a 24 volt winch that won't rape my bank account.  Going to make it a temp mount affair, using the shackle mounts front and rear to mount the winch.  Since it has the NATO jump starting receptacle up front and I have a NATO jump starting cable, wiring is not an issue.  500 amps at 24 volts is plenty of winch power  I don't think they make a 15 Hp winch, it would power it.

Do you have more pics?

Looks like it's built on a k5?

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unimog

This.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

On-board Air

On-Board welder

On-Board fire extgn

Something like this:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=42526

Do you have more pics?

Looks like it's built on a k5?

Fuck bias tires, seriously. A good modern radial M/T such as Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar, KM2's, etc, will serve you very well.

Don't go brodozer either, if you do you will be extremely limited in your mobility (you'll have none). I'd strike a middle ground and look at a midsize SUV or truck. I'd look at four door Wranglers, XTerras, Tacoma's & 4runners. If you wanna look at older cheaper vehicles Cherokees and Grand Cherokees are fucking awesome too with a lot of aftermarket.

You can go almost anywhere in a midsize or compact suv on 31's, lockers, appropriate armor, and a mild lift.

K30, not K5.  NP205 transfer case, 4.56:1 axles, Detroit Locker rear, limited slip front.  No, those are NOT bias ply tires.  BF Goodrich LT radials, all season.  Plenty of traction until the mud comes.  Load range E, 85 PSI monsters.  Heavy duty rear springs for GVW of 9600 pounds.

I'm keeping those tires until they wear out.  Only a year old, all thanks to Uncle Sugar.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#22]

If I had $20k I'd put it into the truck I already have...
94 F350 5-speed 4X4 (sterling 10.1/4 rear Dana 60 front) has a International Indirect Injection (IDI) 7.3 turbo diesel- not power stroke. Mechanical injection... Its not as fast as the newer diesels but she's a torque monster and super reliable. She still gets up and goes though. I have 2 tanks and can run on veggie oil if needed!
Thinking about getting a topper or something to that effect with a roof rack...

Edit: I drive a company vehicle daily, but the girlfriend also drives a 2012 JK 4X4 4 door. Need to work on her rig next
Only issue with her rig it is bright orange... If shtf may have to bust out the rustoleum black and green....LOL

Edit: Beleive it or not this rig as it sits gets 18mpg hwy! The girlfriends 2012 JK wrangler 4 door with the 3.7 only gets 19 hwy...not much better considering my truck weighs twice of her jeep and then some
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unimog

This.  

I don't think it's under 20k and not really a platform. I think it's more of a turnkey deal.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#24]
My starting piece would obviously have to be used, but it'd be something like this:

This way, it'd be low profile, durable, have good mobility, and I'd have my shelter with me.

I think I'd want a older model with the 7.3L PSD, maybe an IDI if that's what I could find.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Base model Chevy 4X4 p/u painted Forest Service green.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Part of "bugging out" is staying under the radar.  You'll be a magnet for ... situations, if you cruise down the road in a Unimog.

I'd take a mostly-stock looking white "work truck" like a Chevy 2500HD with a gasser, throw some good tires on it, hide a winch behind the bumper, dark tint and run low-profile to wherever I'm going.  4-door, 4x4, good tires, keeping your head low and blending in will go a long way, I'd think.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like how so many of you guys are choosing gas guzzling super large rigs.

My idea of bugging out is getting the fuck out of the city and into a remote area. I would choose something like a 4runner, tacoma, cherokee, landcrusier (doesn't get very good mileage either) that gets a littler better mileage and would manuver a little better through trails and completely off road.

If your are bugging out how many times do you want to stop for gas? What if you can't?

Just my opinion. Some cool trucks here either way.

They are not gas guzzlers. Which one of those small 4x4's get better mileage? It is normal for an unmodified Cummins to get 18-20. With tuning, 24 is easily achievable. Some get as high as 27. I'm in the un-modified group and with a factory tank, not the largest one these trucks had, I have driven from Reno to Salt Lake City. Or spent days on the coast in California, and returned to Reno without refueling.

Any one who recommends anything else is telling you to trade a huge amount of capability for a small amount of mobility. There is little room for contingency planning with a small vehicle. They cannot carry 1/4 the fuel reserves that a diesel wouldn't think twice about. And very little of anything else. They are usually gasoline powered which is far more flammable,  far more dangerous in accidents and situational refueling and hard to come by and less stable(storage) in adverse scenarios. They cannot push their way past a prius. And what happens to their mileage when you load them down?

They have their place. Maybe getting you out of a city and onto the trailer behind your Cummins. Maybe. Off road fantasies turn into nightmares more than a few well planned miles from your BOL.  A small anything is a niche vehicle that might earn a spot on your trailer. Fuel diversity, recovery, recon, expendability etc.

A DOT legal fuel load will get a diesel 1800 to 2700 miles away depending on the size of the load and (huge?) trailer. More range also translates to more refueling opportunities and distance from trouble.

Keep in mind, SHTF day two. If you are infrastructure dependent, you are done unless you are driving a diesel. Day 90, what are you going to wish you had? Your life may depend on it.

Horse meet water.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#28]
On the highway, my K30 BOV gets 18 MPG.  My loadout includes a 55 gallon drum of diesel.  With the 20 gallons in the vehicle's tank, that is over 1000 miles.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

On the highway, my K30 BOV gets 18 MPG.  My loadout includes a 55 gallon drum of diesel.  With the 20 gallons in the vehicle's tank, that is over 1000 miles.  

Damn.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, pre-70 (best sheetmetal and iron). No real competition, best stock 4-wheel drive ever made, the editor of JP magazine even admitted this at one time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Samurai. Got mine for 2800. I still have a huge chunk of 20k to spend! In fact you could probably buy and mod 2 Sammies for 20k.

Something along these lines is recommended @ http://ferfal.blogspot.com/
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Cool.  Pics?  Tires?  Any mods?  With that gas mileage I'm assuming the tires are basic A/T and you don't have too much of a lead foot?  Smart.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool.  Pics?  Tires?  Any mods?  With that gas mileage I'm assuming the tires are basic A/T and you don't have too much of a lead foot?  Smart.

Stock tires, Uncle Sugar put on brand new AS radials a few months before the auction.  BF Goodrich Commercial TAs.  Load rated at 3035 pounds each (single wheel).  No real mods for economy yet, the highway radials are the key.

Yes, that 18 MPG is at 60-62 MPH.  

There is a picture above.

Here is how I got it last year.  Compressor was mounted on the floor to the left, tank above it.

I didn't like the space it took so I mounted the compressor above the generator (the gray thing in the middle):

No holes were drilled .  Nothing changed except the position.  Even was able to use the same plumbing and electrical.  Slick.  Now I have a space to sleep.  Or haul things 8 feet long.  Thinking of moving the air tank below the compressor.    Still have space to mount shielding gas cylinder in back of the compressor for welding.  

It is quite impressive to have 12 kW of 120/208 single and 3 phase power.  It is a 12 lead generator so it could be reconnected to provide nearly any standard voltage from basic 120 to 480 3 phase .  And I have the magic to do it.  Of course that would require another circuit breaker panel.  Oh, the generator is a Lima MAC.  NO ELECTRONIC voltage regulator.  Magnetic amplifier controlled.  But it uses an electronic governor

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
First and foremost, the preparedness fuel of choice is diesel. It is safer to store and lasts longer than gasoline. It provides increased fuel economy. And it generally continues to remain available while everyone else is fighting for the last drop of gasoline. It really is a win-win-win solution.

With that being said, my recommendation would be a 1994-98 Dodge Ram 4WD equipped with:

• Cummins 6BT turbo-diesel w/Bosch P7100 injection pump: Likely the most durable, true medium duty diesel ever put into a pickup. Cummins uses a grid element to preheat the intake manifold that has proven to provide superior cold weather starting performance in addition to being more reliable compared to the glow plug systems used by Ford and GM. Fully mechanical fuel system. Very tolerant of alternative fuels such as biodiesel, kerosene, waste motor oil, waste vegetable oil, automatic transmission fluid, etc. Engine is able to operate with NO electrical power, making it virtually immune to EMP or electronic engine management component failure.

• NV4500 5 speed manual transmission: Clutch and transmission mainshaft upgrades make this a very durable transmission. Manual transmission allows ability to compression start engine if necessary.

• NV241HD transfer case. Proven to be reliable and durable.

• Dana 60 front axle and Dana 80(!) rear axle: Robust and durable.

Rest of the truck: Ho hum. Adequate, but not much to write home about.. The steering system will probably need upgrades in the form of an improved track bar, steering gear box and steering gear box brace. Add an exhaust brake, rear air helper springs, a leveling kit and 35" Load Range E tires and you'll have a durable, capable, survivable and formidable BOV. This is what I have, and I don't even like Chrysler products. But these trucks have a gold star drive train. Maybe some day I'll add some heavy duty bumpers, but an auxiliary fuel tank will be my next upgrade.

All of this is great advice.  I have a single cab 97 2500 that Is going through a BOV outfit.  You say you have a Dana 80 rear end in your truck?  Did they put 80's in manual trucks because I have a Dana 70 in my auto.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Dodge%20Ram/BeachRam01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Dodge%20Ram/AmmocanRam.jpg

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Pretty simple really............Toyota Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Yup!

Quoted:

Pretty simple really............Toyota Land Cruiser.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Without knowing the specific mission, having a "perfect tool" is just fantasy.

The fact is that for some people an ATV might be the perfect solution. Someone else might fare better with a Honda Civic. Others may need a 4-door crew-cab diesel truck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Without knowing the specific mission, having a "perfect tool" is just fantasy.

The fact is that for some people an ATV might be the perfect solution. Someone else might fare better with a Honda Civic. Others may need a 4-door crew-cab diesel truck.

That is the point of the thread.

What is 'YOUR' etc, etc....

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Land cruiser...fzj80... Straight 6. Solid axles...tough as it gets 3rd world rated

That's what I went with, the only thing I would change on it for more specific BOV use is to do a diesel swap, probably a 4bt, but a Toyota 1HZ would also be nice. I'd just like to squeak a bit more mpg out of it, since it gets around 13-14 now. If I do it, I'll wait until the 4.5 in it now blows up, which will be quite awhile, since it only has aroun 160,000 on it now, so it's just past break in

I would also like to get an old M416 military trailer and make an expedition trailer out of it. Use the same lug pattern and tire size on it, with it also carrying an extra spare tire and a few more fuel cans.

I just use it for off roading, camping, and going out to remote shooting spots out in the desert. It's pretty damn capable for a relatively large vehicle.

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a couple 2000 F350s, a V10 gas and a 7.3 diesel. The front end on the diesel was so heavy it would bury itself up to its axles in soft ground that the V10 would just cruise over. The extra power was nice but I'll never buy another diesel truck again, the added cost up front combined with the increased fuel and maintenance cost outweighed it's benefits.

I might build a diesel truck though but it would be with a much lighter and less powerful engine. A 4bt can be tuned to give performance similar to an 80's early 90's big block gas engine and weighs about the same as those big blocks.

My ideal BOV would be a late 70's early 80's Chevy K30 with the frame reinforced and the body rino lined. A tuned up 4bt would power it backed by a spicer 7 speed and a divorced twin sticked NP205. I'd run a built up dana 60 in front and a built up 14 bolt in back both with selectable lockers. I'd go with about a 4" spring lift and trim the fenders to run fairly narrow 37" tires so the truck would handle deep snow on the very likely unplowed roads I'd try to stick to but would also handle mud. The springs would be factory rate and the suspension not real flexy so it could carry a load well because if the SHTF I'd be driving around rock obstacles not risking my truck and gear trying to go over or up them.

The interior would be made really simple with easy access panels for all the electronics and wiring. Then I'd top it off with heavy duty bumpers and a winch up front.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:04:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm good to go.  Short term or long term bug out.

Aspen Mt. Rock Springs WY.  Just a picnic in the park

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#44]
EMP or non EMP event?  Yes, I think that you know where I'm going with this.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
First and foremost, the preparedness fuel of choice is diesel. It is safer to store and lasts longer than gasoline. It provides increased fuel economy. And it generally continues to remain available while everyone else is fighting for the last drop of gasoline. It really is a win-win-win solution.

With that being said, my recommendation would be a 1994-98 Dodge Ram 4WD equipped with:

• Cummins 6BT turbo-diesel w/Bosch P7100 injection pump: Likely the most durable, true medium duty diesel ever put into a pickup. Cummins uses a grid element to preheat the intake manifold that has proven to provide superior cold weather starting performance in addition to being more reliable compared to the glow plug systems used by Ford and GM. Fully mechanical fuel system. Very tolerant of alternative fuels such as biodiesel, kerosene, waste motor oil, waste vegetable oil, automatic transmission fluid, etc. Engine is able to operate with NO electrical power, making it virtually immune to EMP or electronic engine management component failure.

• NV4500 5 speed manual transmission: Clutch and transmission mainshaft upgrades make this a very durable transmission. Manual transmission allows ability to compression start engine if necessary.

• NV241HD transfer case. Proven to be reliable and durable.

• Dana 60 front axle and Dana 80(!) rear axle: Robust and durable.

Rest of the truck: Ho hum. Adequate, but not much to write home about.. The steering system will probably need upgrades in the form of an improved track bar, steering gear box and steering gear box brace. Add an exhaust brake, rear air helper springs, a leveling kit and 35" Load Range E tires and you'll have a durable, capable, survivable and formidable BOV. This is what I have, and I don't even like Chrysler products. But these trucks have a gold star drive train. Maybe some day I'll add some heavy duty bumpers, but an auxiliary fuel tank will be my next upgrade.

Amen Brother. Ill stick with my 95 extended cab 5spd cummins powered dodge.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Plain jane, 4x4, 2500 Diesel, stock suspension & no monster tires. After performance mods, 20.5 highway mpg (Light load, of course). A drum or two of diesel in the bed & 18"lowboy trailer, if hauling a lot of stuff is required, will get you quite a ways.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So as much as I love my built jeep, and all the cool looking bug out rigs always posted, I always come back to something like this:

Now hear me out!!!

Get a orange vest, A little yellow light for the top, and have a set of magnetic decals for the doors with some bullshit name on them like "Sysone telecom" Or "Federal Electrical Contracting."   I feel that in a disaster situation, you could get through just about any road block, any traffic jam (Just drive shoulder) and still go up in the woods with a capable vehicle, and all your bug out shit in the rear box area. Everyone would just assume you are doing some sort of official job, including police and military. It would at the least get you a shot to access that others would not have.

This is the best realistic BOV idea I've seen.

I work in a "large auto plant" and can attest first hand to this scenario. I work in a department where I pretty much have access to anywhere in the plant anyway, however I noticed early on that when wearing a hard hat and carrying myself like I belonged there with a piece of paper in my hand, NO ONE EVER gave me a second look.

I can also attest first hand experience to the Deuce. I used to own one and refused to put license plates on it and ruin the look (I kept them in the glove box). I drove that truck across several states on several different occasions and NEVER ONCE got a second look from a cop or a weigh station - not once. Never stopped at a weight station and would notice to see if cops gave me any attention, the large majority never even looked over at me, and the small percentage of ones that did just gave me a wave. Now.....having said that, I would not want a Deuce as a BOV. Yes, the multifuel capability would most definitely be an advantage, but they are just too big, loud, noisy, slow and would stick out like a sore thumb in some situations, while they would blend in other situations.

I can't hardly think of a situation or area that the truck posted above would not blend in. I love it!!!
When you sit and think of the supplies (guns, ammo, tools, ANYTHING) that you could load that thing down with, all behind locked storage.......and blend in anywhere..... THAT is the winner IMO.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So as much as I love my built jeep, and all the cool looking bug out rigs always posted, I always come back to something like this:

Now hear me out!!!

Get a orange vest, A little yellow light for the top, and have a set of magnetic decals for the doors with some bullshit name on them like "Sysone telecom" Or "Federal Electrical Contracting."   I feel that in a disaster situation, you could get through just about any road block, any traffic jam (Just drive shoulder) and still go up in the woods with a capable vehicle, and all your bug out shit in the rear box area. Everyone would just assume you are doing some sort of official job, including police and military. It would at the least get you a shot to access that others would not have.

This is the best realistic BOV idea I've seen.

I work in a "large auto plant" and can attest first hand to this scenario. I work in a department where I pretty much have access to anywhere in the plant anyway, however I noticed early on that when wearing a hard hat and carrying myself like I belonged there with a piece of paper in my hand, NO ONE EVER gave me a second look.

I can't hardly think of a situation or area that the truck posted above would not blend in. I love it!!!

I agree. I drive a plain, non-descript, unmarked SUV for a work vehicle. We rotate through them every so often, but it's usually something along the lines of a white Explorer, Expedition, Suburban, Liberty, etc. They are like mundane appliances. Nobody ever looks twice.  

I can also attest to how seemingly invisible a hardhat, orange vest/jacket, safety glasses, gloves, clipboard and a sense of purpose can make you. Of course, company and government ID and especially a plausible reason doesn't hurt, either.  

When you sit and think of the supplies (guns, ammo, tools, ANYTHING) that you could load that thing down with, all behind locked storage.......and blend in anywhere..... THAT is the winner IMO.

And therein lies the rub. For most of us it's simply not a practical consideration to keep something like that just sitting around. The plain, boring SUV I referenced is better candidate as it could be used as a daily driver or at least in more ways than a commercial sized truck. Most us have budgets that necessitate selecting vehicles with a wider range of use than idly standing by for a rare, unlikely event. But if you can swing it...
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#50]
1996 3/4 ton 4wd 2-30 gal tanks.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top