Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 3:59:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Unbelievable. We still have people here feeling sorry for themselves for Hurricane Katrina.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:07:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Unbelievable. We still have people here feeling sorry for themselves for Hurricane Katrina Pearl Harbor.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fgw-japan-quake-volcano-20110314,0,2486939.story?track=rss
The volcano last erupted Jan. 19 after remaining dormant for two years. Volcanologists had warned that a "lava dome" was growing inside the volcano's crater, although it was uncertain when or if the volcano would erupt.

Sunday's eruption, which was the biggest volcanic activity in Shinmoedake in 52 years, caused widespread destruction and panic. The blast could be heard for miles, and shattered windows four miles away, the BBC reported. Hundreds of people fled the area as the volcano spewed debris, including hot ash and rocks, more than 6,000 feet in the air, according to BBC reports.

they have now hit the SHTF lottery

9.1 earthquake
sunami
nuclear meltdown
volcano

how in the hell do you have a chance prepping for this kind of stuff

You don't..... you adapt and overcome.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i really wonder just how much the human spirit can endure when it comes down that stuff.

i guess you just concentrate on staying alive at this point.

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.

A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough

without ever having felt sorry for itself.

- d.h. lawrence

As long as your motor is spinning, motor on. It's what we've done for over a million years.

Pray for God to give them strength.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#7]
We should see Godzilla any time now, it's really about all that's missing...  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fgw-japan-quake-volcano-20110314,0,2486939.story?track=rss
The volcano last erupted Jan. 19 after remaining dormant for two years. Volcanologists had warned that a "lava dome" was growing inside the volcano's crater, although it was uncertain when or if the volcano would erupt.

Sunday's eruption, which was the biggest volcanic activity in Shinmoedake in 52 years, caused widespread destruction and panic. The blast could be heard for miles, and shattered windows four miles away, the BBC reported. Hundreds of people fled the area as the volcano spewed debris, including hot ash and rocks, more than 6,000 feet in the air, according to BBC reports.

9.1 earthquake
sunami
nuclear meltdown
volcano

Not living on a volcanic island with a high risk of earth quakes and tidal waves would be a start

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Clearly there have been people living in Japan for thousands of years.  This won't change due to an earthquake, tsunami, nuke meltdown and volcano.  It will only eliminate the unprepared and/or unlucky.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

9.1 earthquake
sunami
nuclear meltdown
volcano

The short answer is you can't. It's a corollary to Uncle Vic's law; "You can't Kung Fu a .45 slug." By the time you flash on that big fat slug headed right between your headlights, it's all over. You have no control or influence over so many things that can kill you; meteors, lightning strikes, massive heart attack for the driver of the cement mixer on the overpass you happen to be driving under, let your imagination run wild. No amount of prepping can save you in certain circumstances. We prep in case.

You ask on this forum why people prep and you'll get a wide range of answers. "I prep in case of";
fire
flood
hurricane
earthquake
civil unrest
etc
etc

The first, unspoken, but most important "Case" is, "In case I survive the initial calamity." We don't like to think about it, but if when the SHTF we draw the unlucky card, well then we'll no longer have any earthly worries, and the question of "Did I store the right ratio of bullets to beans?" just won't matter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, that sucks. They can't seem to catch a break.

God help them.

I'm sure they will get thru this one way or another, but with how much destruction remains to be seen.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dang it!  Now I've got soda & sandwich all over my monitor!

Seriously though, about all you can do with that level of SHTF going on there is pray.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

would have been funny as hell to see someone running down the middle of the street in one of those Utube clips during the quake shouting "Godzilla! Godzilla! Godzilla! "

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#14]
You guys talk like all of these things are unrelated.  It's all facets of the same issue: underground pressure due to a shifting plate.  

Like going out into the driveway, slipping in a puddle of oil and cracking your skull on the concrete.  Then, as you look at the two wavering images of your BOV, you notice that there's a chunk of barbed wire wrapped around your tranny coolant lines and one of them is torn loose.  Oh, and the transmission won't shift when you try to drive yourself to the hospital.  Doesn't make it particularly less troublesome, but at least you can trace the whole thing to that one issue and you know that you're probably not cursed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#16]
FWIW, I feel bad about saying I didn't have compassion for the japanese. They're having a helluva bad time. I pray that they will get through these horrible times.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Japan is a tough country and has resourceful people.

Some are surprised at the absence of looting [being reported].

I have every expectation Japan will rebuild more quickly than can be imagined and will be much stonger for it. They have the will, the money, technology and the brains to do it.

And they have no other choice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unbelievable. We still have people here feeling sorry for themselves for Hurricane Katrina Pearl Harbor.

They are our allies now. Get over it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you took that the wrong way.

I have nothing against them.

I was pointing out that too many people here are still butt hurt about pearl harbor.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys talk like all of these things are unrelated.  It's all facets of the same issue: underground pressure due to a shifting plate.  

Like going out into the driveway, slipping in a puddle of oil and cracking your skull on the concrete.  Then, as you look at the two wavering images of your BOV, you notice that there's a chunk of barbed wire wrapped around your tranny coolant lines and one of them is torn loose.  Oh, and the transmission won't shift when you try to drive yourself to the hospital.  Doesn't make it particularly less troublesome, but at least you can trace the whole thing to that one issue and you know that you're probably not cursed.

i think everyone pretty much knows this all has the same root cause.

it's all Bush's fault?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was pointing out that too many people here are still butt hurt about pearl harbor.

My bad. I did read it wrong. My apologies.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

9.1 earthquake
sunami
nuclear meltdown
volcano

Not living on a volcanic island with a high risk of earth quakes and tidal waves would be a start

DING DING DING  . . . . . WE HAVE A WINNER!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude!  We're at war with folks who are still butt hurt over the crusades!

we still have people butt hurt over the alamo

Dude!  We're at war with folks who are still butt hurt over the crusades!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think everyone pretty much knows this all has the same root cause.

it's all Bush's fault?

I KNOW IT!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
You all think the katrina survivors are taking notes on how the Japanese are behaving during this crisis?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You all think the katrina survivors are taking notes on how the Japanese are behaving during this crisis?

american idol is on... katrina "victims" likely don't even know whats going on.

they are not the only ones.  i have a technical job, but the "proffesional suit wearers"  i talked to today said they could care less, because its not happening here. i swear to God.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The first, unspoken, but most important "Case" is, "In case I survive the initial calamity." We don't like to think about it, but if when the SHTF we draw the unlucky card, well then we'll no longer have any earthly worries, and the question of "Did I store the right ratio of bullets to beans?" just won't matter.

^^^^This. The few folks at work that I have unsuccessfully converted still give me crap saying "If we all die, what's the point?", my response is "What if I live?"  My primary reasons for prepping are upstairs asleep in their beds right now. No matter what life throws at me, at least I can still feed my kids, and that's all that really matters.

For a situation like this, I guess it's really about options and not having your eggs all in one basket. I'm fortunate enough to have family with large tracts of land in various locations across the country. I have a modest amount of preps securely stored at each location, enough to get by, but not enough to fret over if I can't ever use it. I figure that way, as long as I can travel, I might have a chance of reaching one of my chosen spots.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Man what next?  Radioactive fallout drives San Franciscans Eastward and we have to fight the Zombies for the leftover salad??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top