Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 43 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, very nice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread will keep me busy in my spare time over the next few days haha.  Awesome work by so many of you

If anyone is interested in making an OWB holster for a G27, feel free to message me :)
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By xxspudxx:
Wow, very nice.

Thanks. Been building kydex holsters for two years now. I'm also an artist who works in the sign fab industry so I'm not stranger to working with tools.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SlowPoke77:
Originally Posted By xxspudxx:
Wow, very nice.

Thanks. Been building kydex holsters for two years now. I'm also an artist who works in the sign fab industry so I'm not stranger to working with tools.

The XD holster is damn nice. I for some reason cant get near that quality. I need to practice more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
@Echo2, nice press.

@rTech, would you mind posting pics of your press?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Impyman18:
I made the fiancée her 1st holster for her XDm 3.8 9mm + TLR-2 that I got her last year.

http://i.imgur.com/VPGhdRwl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2QN23cAl.jpg

Looks great!  I have a few questions:
1) What are you guys using to create the prolonged area from the back of the light to the trigger guard? (I cant tell what is under the tape)
2) Is there a foam that is available locally for the press or should i go with the knifekits one mentioned? (one quoted looks like a knee mat for gardening)
3) Is it worth building a vacuum box or does the press work just fine?  ( I have been reading the drawbacks are the mold is made over the half way point, so it looks to work best mounted on a flat piece of kydex or leather)

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MountedMedic:
Originally Posted By Impyman18:
I made the fiancée her 1st holster for her XDm 3.8 9mm + TLR-2 that I got her last year.

http://i.imgur.com/VPGhdRwl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2QN23cAl.jpg

Looks great!  I have a few questions:
1) What are you guys using to create the prolonged area from the back of the light to the trigger guard? (I cant tell what is under the tape)
2) Is there a foam that is available locally for the press or should i go with the knifekits one mentioned? (one quoted looks like a knee mat for gardening)
3) Is it worth building a vacuum box or does the press work just fine?  ( I have been reading the drawbacks are the mold is made over the half way point, so it looks to work best mounted on a flat piece of kydex or leather)

Thanks in advance!

i went and got a dowell rod of similar size to my weapon light. cut it in half and cut to the right length.

Took the dremel and notched out some areas on the inside of the dowell for the toggle switch on the light. ran a screw thru the dowell, thru trigger guard, and into other side of dowell. then blue taped everything.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I use craft sticks and scrap kydex to build mine up
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Barely] [#9]
Any way that we could get a seperate forum for Kydex projects?

This subject has gone so many pages now that it's practically impossible to search without having to scroll through all of the pages.  Don't get me wrong, I've read probabvly 95% of this thread.  But wouldn't it be nice to have a seperate forum for these kydex projects where the different topics can be seperated so that persons can search without having to read a 85+ page thread?

Just asking, maybe I'm wrong...
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 5:57:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bg10] [#10]
Anybody do "taco" style (wrap one piece of kydex around gun) holsters?

How do you get the kydex to fold over right/not get all whompyjawed when you put it in the press?

ETA: Anybody know if there is "how too" for taco style in this thread anywhere?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know if Kydex punchable?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 6:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echo2] [#12]
Originally Posted By macman37:

by punchable...you mean what?.....the holes?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Yes,  I know of at least one company using dies to cut it to shape.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to get started working with kydex in the next few weeks, not that I need another hobby.  I do just about everything myself, might as well start making my own sheaths/holsters.  I wish they made some more camo patterns.  I did find some lime green which would make a great matching holster for my kawasaki.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a buddy who airbrushed one of my holster as a sample.
What do you all think?
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a nice holster just not sure why you wanted a face airbrushed on if. That's just my two cents and nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

Yes,  I know of at least one company using dies to cut it to shape.

Interesting, thanks.

One of the things that's so cool about a plastic like Kydex is that it inspires a lot if ideas.
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Due to a request. This is one of my presses I use. I have a couple. This gives me the definition I get.

I'm in the process of setting up a mobile shop trailer that was a surplus army field repair shop, rather than do this in my living room.

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:26:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DAIVIPAI2K5] [#19]
Originally Posted By rtech:
Due to a request. This is one of my presses I use. I have a couple. This gives me the definition I get.
I'm in the process of setting up a mobile shop trailer that was a surplus army field repair shop, rather than do this in my living room.

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u478/rtech_inno/photo-22_zps81eec6f8.jpg

Interesting
What is that called?
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SlowPoke77:
Got a buddy who airbrushed one of my holster as a sample.
What do you all think?
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/slowpokerodriguez/76F28EAE-F545-4C05-B3CC-6DF960649046-5302-0000058FBF88BF1B.jpg

Should have him airbrush denim jean on it to blend it in.

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bg10:
Anybody do "taco" style (wrap one piece of kydex around gun) holsters?

How do you get the kydex to fold over right/not get all whompyjawed when you put it in the press?

ETA: Anybody know if there is "how too" for taco style in this thread anywhere?

I've been trying an failing at taco's lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rtech:

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u478/rtech_inno/photo-22_zps81eec6f8.jpg

Neat clamp.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Kirch:
Looks like a nice holster just not sure why you wanted a face airbrushed on if. That's just my two cents and nothing more.

I let my buddy have free will to paint what he wanted. He was trying to figure out how much detail he could get away with.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#25]
for a coworker. He wanted the ejection port cut out. Not my style but thought I would post it here for ideas if anybody is interested:

http://i.imgur.com/GpU9X6H.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/W6luR4l.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/Xd8824i.jpg?1
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I hate you people! Well, my wallet hates you people..........

In the last month, I've collected a scroll saw, belt sander, and bench mounted buffing wheel.  Placed a $250 order with knifekits today.  *sigh

I knew better than to click on this thread the very first time I saw it about a year ago.  haha
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#27]
It's kydex. And I did it myself.

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Brilliant! Did you heat and mold the kydex at all? It looks to me like it is just cut straight out of a sheet?
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Munzy:

Brilliant! Did you heat and mold the kydex at all? It looks to me like it is just cut straight out of a sheet?

I just cut straight from the sheet. I used 2 pieces of .125 kydex. It's not bulletproof but its sturdy enough for my liking.

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#30]
By chance anyone live in the Seattle area and have a local kydex source? Do you have to buy a full sheet?
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By lostman518:

I just cut straight from the sheet. I used 2 pieces of .125 kydex. It's not bulletproof but its sturdy enough for my liking.

What is the purpose of that please?

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 11:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lostman518] [#32]

Originally Posted By mrstang01:
Originally Posted By lostman518:

What is the purpose of that please?

I mount my Streamlight tlr-1 on the rail. The way that I grip the rifle didn't allow for a good positioning of the light. With this extended mount I can activate the light with my thumb while still using my normal grip.  

Kydex pic/info thread!

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#33]
question:
what is the thickness of the gap for belt loops. Right now my loops have a 1/2 gap but some peoples on here look bigger.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#34]
It has been a busy weekend

Low Profile G26 holster

Holster and Mag pouch for a local instructor

And a revo holster for a customer going on mule pack trip in WY. More concerned about 4 legged predators than 2 legged ones.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 2:54:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I failed on my first attempt with cutting (too small), overheated the kydex, & the kydex got stuck to the foam! Will give it another shot tomorrow. I've dropped too much money on all the supplies & the equipment I didn't have but will use manly on holster making for me to get discourage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:26:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Anyone else run into an issue of the holster being way tight when using a Ring's blue gun as the mold?  Ran a few Glock compact holsters tonight on a new blue gun and they are way tight.  I heard blue guns were the way to go but now I'm not too sure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By nyc71:
I failed on my first attempt with cutting (too small), overheated the kydex, & the kydex got stuck to the foam! Will give it another shot tomorrow. I've dropped too much money on all the supplies & the equipment I didn't have but will use manly on holster making for me to get discourage.

let it cool longer and it will pull from the foam. The other two I'm sure you already figured out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
Anyone else run into an issue of the holster being way tight when using a Ring's blue gun as the mold?  Ran a few Glock compact holsters tonight on a new blue gun and they are way tight.  I heard blue guns were the way to go but now I'm not too sure.

What part do you see as being too tight? If it's just one or two spots,  can always use epoxy, bondo, etc. to add a little to those areas. if it's the whole gun, try wrapping it in a couple layers of plastic wrap or something similar to make it bigger. Maybe dip the whole gun in urethane?? to build it up some?
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By telephoneman:

What part do you see as being too tight? If it's just one or two spots,  can always use epoxy, bondo, etc. to add a little to those areas. if it's the whole gun, try wrapping it in a couple layers of plastic wrap or something similar to make it bigger. Maybe dip the whole gun in urethane?? to build it up some?

Pretty much seems to be the whole gun from what I could tell.  Had to hit the molded kydex with a heat gun to flex it and relieve some of the pressure and make it fit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By nyc71:

Aim for about 315 degrees for .060 kydex and  you wont get near as much shrinking and glossing as you do at the 325-330 temp range. It will still give you great definition.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Sierra,
 If you use Blueguns without adding any tape or blocking in the ejection port then yes, they will be too tight.

I typically apply 3 layers of painters tape to each side of my Blueguns, in addition to blocking out the ejection port until it's only 1mm deep and adding a rod for the sight channel.

You may also find that the molding is too deep in the trigger guard. You can run two tight layers of tape around the gun, covering the trigger guard, and it will reduce the overmolding.

Ideally, your retention will be good to go right out of the press.

Every minute you spend prepping carefully will save you 5-10 minutes of screwing around with the heatgun, and the final product will look better too.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 2:29:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#42]
Originally Posted By amhenry:
Sierra,
 If you use Blueguns without adding any tape or blocking in the ejection port then yes, they will be too tight.

I typically apply 3 layers of painters tape to each side of my Blueguns, in addition to blocking out the ejection port until it's only 1mm deep and adding a rod for the sight channel.

You may also find that the molding is too deep in the trigger guard. You can run two tight layers of tape around the gun, covering the trigger guard, and it will reduce the overmolding.

Ideally, your retention will be good to go right out of the press.

Every minute you spend prepping carefully will save you 5-10 minutes of screwing around with the heatgun, and the final product will look better too.

Right on, appreciate the reply.   Port and trigger was blocked and a sight channel was on, guess I'll have to widen the gun with tape.  I heard blue guns were the way to go, didn't realize you had to widen them out that much more.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 4:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echo2] [#43]
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Got my first piece sitting in the press right now!

Can't wait to see how it turns out  
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#45]
I will read this monster of a thread, but for now, I will just leave this here:

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lane579] [#46]
After reading the better part of everything in this thread, and several things mutliple times, along with watching PhillyEDC videos, I decided to give it a shot.  Purchased the .080 kydex, eyelets, hand setter, screws, and foam from knifekits.  Had a press made from 1/4" steel plate with 3/4" bolts mounted in each corner so I could really get it cranked down.  Here was my first attempt:

I tried making a simple wood jig, 1.75" x 1/2" for the belt loops and put that in the press but I found it easier to use a heat gun and just form them around my jig and hold them by hand.  I think the 1/2" gap seems perfect.  There are a lot of opinions on technique out there so I figured I would share what I did and maybe help someone out.  But for the most part, the information out there is good, easy to follow stuff.  After pressing, I did my rough cutout with a coping saw.  A scroll saw would be fast and much cleaner but you can make do if you don't want to spend that money.  But if you plan on doing a bunch, it would probably be a great investment.  I drilled/eyeleted the halves together before finishing any edges.  Seemed like doing the halves separate would leave more margin for error.  To hold everything together I used four small spring clips.  I rough finished the large edges with a bench mounted wheel sander and the hard to reach areas with a dremel.  Finished all edges by hand with fine sandpaper, quick wipe of acetone, and a coat of oil.  One thing I am going to think about now that I never saw mentioned is somehow slightly flaring the top edge of the outer half for ease of reholstering.  The hand/hammer method of setting the eyelets was time consuming but after doing it, I don't feel the need to run out and buy a press...unless I planned on making a lot of holsters/sheaths.  A heat gun is a must for belt loops and contouring the holster.  I picked up a Wagner from Lowes for ~$20.   Overall I was really pleased with the process.  Just take your time and follow the plan.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's another one I did for a Mora. I wanted it to be no wider than a Tek-Lok for a low profile carry.

Also, I discovered another great tool to add to your toolbox. Forget pilot point or brad point drills for your eyelet holes. They wander and can screw up what could be a great sheath. Do yourself a favor and buy a 1/4" center drill. I use these in the lathe and mill for various tasks. I gave one a shot tonight and it worked beautifully. It produced a nice centered hole with no burrs. Just drill a low speed.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bobapunk:

Nice!  Are those the phlster/index fastener loops?  They look just like those.  I've emailed both about them and gotten zero replies back.  They seem way nicer than the knifekits ones I currently use.  

Nice work!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Nice!  Are those the phlster/index fastener loops?  They look just like those.  I've emailed both about them and gotten zero replies back.  They seem way nicer than the knifekits ones I currently use.  

Nice work!

+2
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Nice work!

Have you e-mailed Danny? [email protected]

If no reply, try emailing or calling Megaan. [email protected] or 909-923-4073

Page / 83
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 43 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top