Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 82 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

I've had this tomahawk for a while but only now was able to make the sheath for it today.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:39:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lksyotas] [#2]
First time posting my work here - love seeing everyone's work!  

Glock 19 CT Laser OWB set.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lksyotas:

View Quote
Dammm looks great !
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By lksyotas:

View Quote
Yeah, that's some pretty slick work.  Gotta love the carbon fiber look.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm late to the party so forgive me if I ask old questions. 1. Is it acceptable to use a griddle vice a toaster oven to heat kydex.
2. Where do you guys buy your neoprene foam to make a press?

I know presses are sold but I don't want to blow money on something so simple if I can make it myself.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:
I'm late to the party so forgive me if I ask old questions.
1. Is it acceptable to use a griddle vice a toaster oven to heat kydex.

I know presses are sold but I don't want to blow money on something so simple if I can make it myself.
View Quote
1. I have no idea
2. Knifekits.com
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm late to the party so forgive me if I ask old questions. 1. Is it acceptable to use a griddle vice a toaster oven to heat kydex.

View Quote
Yes people use them. Consistent and even heat is the key. Toaster ovens and griddles work, but the accepted method now is Tshirt heat presses. As far as foam, I use knifekits extreme form foam. Other sources of foam are....

Index Fasteners

Carolina custom

Usa knife maker
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Anything that heats the entire sheet of Kydex will work.  Lots of people use toaster ovens.  As stated, a tshirt heat press is the now preferred method but they are pricey unless you can find one cheap on Craigslist.  Not sure why a smooth surface press like a griddle or panini maker would not work.  It's basically the same concept.

Look up local foam sellers.  I have two in my city and they are much cheaper than knifekits.com.

It's hard to beat ebay prices for small pcs of Kydex.  I'm fairly certain there is someone selling pcs in the EE as well really cheap!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been making my own kydex holsters for my EDC rigs for years now, but one issue has always been belt loops.

The belt loops (attachments) I've seen that are production that I like were always incredibly expensive (for a belt attachment). Being cheap (50% of the reason I make my own holsters, the other is that I get exactly what I want) and having a 3D printer, I printed some out of ABS plastic. They are customized to my holsters AND to my belt. Love it, stronger than the kydex.

I'll get a pic posted in a bit when I have my cell handy.

Anyway, I'm now thinking that a 3D printed one piece holster and/or mag carrier might be really neat! Customized to the weapon, desired angle, belt, etc. No fasteners at all, one piece of plastic. Would just take a LOT of CAD time.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
I've been making my own kydex holsters for my EDC rigs for years now, but one issue has always been belt loops.

The belt loops (attachments) I've seen that are production that I like were always incredibly expensive (for a belt attachment). Being cheap (50% of the reason I make my own holsters, the other is that I get exactly what I want) and having a 3D printer, I printed some out of ABS plastic. They are customized to my holsters AND to my belt. Love it, stronger than the kydex.

I'll get a pic posted in a bit when I have my cell handy.

Anyway, I'm now thinking that a 3D printed one piece holster and/or mag carrier might be really neat! Customized to the weapon, desired angle, belt, etc. No fasteners at all, one piece of plastic. Would just take a LOT of CAD time.
View Quote
ABS is not stronger than Kydex.  ABS is harder/ more rigid but not stronger.  Kydex has a better impact rating because it is a slightly softer material.  Most basic ABS formulas will also degrade quicker when exposed to sunlight.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

ABS is not stronger than Kydex.  ABS is harder/ more rigid but not stronger.  Kydex has a better impact rating because it is a slightly softer material.  Most basic ABS formulas will also degrade quicker when exposed to sunlight.
View Quote
Mm to mm perhaps, but abs can be printed thicker where needed. Could also print in nylon, which is much much stronger. I've tested my belt loops on old kydex holsters of mine, the holster or belt loop attachment failed before my loops broke.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]
it lives
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Can someone post a recap of the How-to? I am trying to read all the threads but 82 pages and a ton of dead links isn't helping. I only have 3 pistols, a G19, a Sig Mk25 and a HK45C and would love to make my 1st holster for for the 45C a homemade one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
anybody have a template for a Ready Tactical style mag pouch? Ar or pistol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackCloud762] [#16]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:
Can someone post a recap of the How-to? I am trying to read all the threads but 82 pages and a ton of dead links isn't helping. I only have 3 pistols, a G19, a Sig Mk25 and a HK45C and would love to make my 1st holster for for the 45C a homemade one.
View Quote
@Tango_6

Check out PhillyEDC's videos on YouTube for ALOT of "How to" kydex stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PhillyEDC
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By terrance250:
@Tango_6

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By terrance250:
@Tango_6

Thank you but there isn't a lot of information of where to get stuff from.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
check out holsterbuilder.com. free shipping above $65. there you can get your kydex, screws and posts, rivets, etc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Thank you but there isn't a lot of information of where to get stuff from.
View Quote
Knifekits.com is reliable.

May not be the best value for $ source for anything but hobby/one off item/etc use though, IDK.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys I am going to give it a go, I have a list of tools I need to buy and hell, I might make them and start selling them as a hobby since I am a instructor I can sell them at my classes and online. I am looking at a June start date since we are in the middle of packing everything up and moving.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys I am going to give it a go, I have a list of tools I need to buy and hell, I might make them and start selling them as a hobby since I am a instructor I can sell them at my classes and online. I am looking at a June start date since we are in the middle of packing everything up and moving.
View Quote
I have found that with kydex, the prep is where the magic happens.

By that, I mean, how well your product works depends on how well you set up what you are molding it around.  How well it's blocked off.  How well you position the item.  Etc.

It looks easy, but you don't really see people in the "how to kydex" vids doing the prep work.  I figure that as far as time invested, it's about 85% prep and 15% doing the molding/finishing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:

By that, I mean, how well your product works depends on how well you set up what you are molding it around.  How well it's blocked off.  How well you position the item.  Etc.

It looks easy, but you don't really see people in the "how to kydex" vids doing the prep work.  I figure that as far as time invested, it's about 85% prep and 15% doing the molding/finishing.
View All Quotes

I saw that, I am a stickler for getting things done right so I might actually be good at this. I made a list I need to hit up garage sales for a belt sander, buffer, saw and other power tools.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:42:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SH3PH3RD] [#23]

View Quote
@Tango_6

Prep is key. check out Alameda Holsters YouTube channel, he goes in depth about prepping. Look at his old videos, there is a wealth of valuable information on his channel for newcomers. Also join kydexpro forum if you haven't already.

Supply websites:
Knifekits.com
Holstersmith.com
Holsterbuilder.com
rcholstersupply.com
shopdiyholster.com
holsterloops.com

There are more as well, I'll edit as I remember more, but these should get you started...
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
http://www.ifithermoplastics.com
View Quote
Don't know how I forgot that one!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SH3PH3RD:
@Tango_6

Prep is key. check out Alameda Holsters YouTube channel, he goes in depth about prepping. Look at his old videos, there is a wealth of valuable information on his channel for newcomers. Also join kydexpro forum if you haven't already.

Supply websites:
Knifekits.com
Holstersmith.com
Holsterbuilder.com
rcholstersupply.com
shopdiyholster.com
holsterloops.com

There are more as well, I'll edit as I remember more, but these should get you started...
View All Quotes

@Tango_6

Supply websites:
Knifekits.com
Holstersmith.com
Holsterbuilder.com
rcholstersupply.com
shopdiyholster.com
holsterloops.com

I just joined kydexpro, thanks. I am planning on doing this as a side gig, I am a full time student, but I became a RSO and a pistol instructor a few years ago, but there is no work here in IL so I am hoping when we get to AL things are different.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#28]

I just joined kydexpro, thanks. I am planning on doing this as a side gig, I am a full time student, but I became a RSO and a pistol instructor a few years ago, but there is no work here in IL so I am hoping when we get to AL things are different.
View Quote
Probably more work in the firearms industry as a whole in the south in general I would think, good luck on you journey in holster making!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#30]
https://i.imgur.com/llEFsp3.jpg
View Quote
@SH3PH3RD
Can you make one like that for a HK45C
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 2:41:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SH3PH3RD] [#31]

@SH3PH3RD
Can you make one like that for a HK45C
View Quote
I appreciate your interest, but unfortunately I won't be able to do any custom work for a time, I did this build specifically for a competition. I'm just a little too busy getting my standard product line situated to get a proper structure for getting my business and website off the ground. I will keep you in mind though and shoot you a message when I get back to custom builds.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Can someone make me something like this for a Olight that I have? or give me guidance on how to do it myself? I would think it isn't that hard to make, I just haven't gotten into it yet since we just moved.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:02:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: battleshipgrey] [#33]
Can someone make me something like this for a Olight that I have? or give me guidance on how to do it myself? I would think it isn't that hard to make, I just haven't gotten into it yet since we just moved.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283746/Watchband_light-531077.JPG
View Quote
@Tango_6

That's kind of cool. Here's my suggestion if you DIY: (with paint )

Attachment Attached File

ETA: #5. If you want it to stay on the watch while the flashlight is on, just drill a hole into the retaining dimple as long as you've got good enough purchase to keep it on there. If the retaining dimple is too loose, BEFORE sanding, you could cut out little notches (kind of like an AR15 bolt around the edges of that wing, then heat them up and fold them around the business end of the light to hold the light on tighter. OR, you could just keep trying to form a better dimple until you get it. You can keep heating it up and trying again and again if you're not happy with it.

Just my take on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tango_6] [#34]
Originally Posted By battleshipgrey:
@Tango_6

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/403839/watch_light_holder-533474.JPG

ETA: #5. If you want it to stay on the watch while the flashlight is on, just drill a hole into the retaining dimple as long as you've got good enough purchase to keep it on there. If the retaining dimple is too loose, BEFORE sanding, you could cut out little notches (kind of like an AR15 bolt around the edges of that wing, then heat them up and fold them around the business end of the light to hold the light on tighter. OR, you could just keep trying to form a better dimple until you get it. You can keep heating it up and trying again and again if you're not happy with it.

Just my take on it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By battleshipgrey:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283746/Watchband_light-531077.JPG
@Tango_6

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/403839/watch_light_holder-533474.JPG

Just my take on it.
Thanks, I will try that. I have to pick a color and find some kydex.  Unless someone want to send me some scrap pieces they have of some colors they have.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Where’s the best place to order supplies from?  I’m ready to try my hand at a holster or 3.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SteelSC:
Where’s the best place to order supplies from?  I’m ready to try my hand at a holster or 3.
View Quote
Scroll up
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
May want to visit your local gun shops. Give the owner a holster and ask to put up a flyer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#38]
A few I've done recently -

Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I want to make a sheath for my Spyderco Salt with a FRN plastic handle.  However, I'm afraid that the hot kydex might cause the FRN to deform.

Has anyone made a Kydex sheath for a Spyderco with plastic scales?
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By davewvu86:
I want to make a sheath for my Spyderco Salt with a FRN plastic handle.  However, I'm afraid that the hot kydex might cause the FRN to deform.

Has anyone made a Kydex sheath for a Spyderco with plastic scales?
View Quote
The hot kydex won’t hurt it
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Good work!  I really like that last one. AH??
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I need to get a replacement for my fishing Folstaf wading staff.  These thing are sections of aluminum tube with a bungy cord running down the inside that you can fold up when not needed.
the holster that came with it was vinyl or some sort of synthetic leather, and its falling apart and never was that good.

Its kind of bulky when folded.  I think too thick for the foam press I see on youtube videos to be effective.  maybe three inches thick when folded up.
Could I just heat some heated/ softened kydex all over with a heat gun over the folded up folstaf, and let gravity and heat do its work?  maybe just use some blocks of foam to force it down to the flat bottom surface?

here is what a Folstaf looks like
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#43]
New hi power needed a new holster

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
Nice work! That looks fantastic!
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Holder for my IR light -
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#46]
WHat's the best IWB clip for non belt pants?  Like basketball shorts or sweatpants?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bendigo78:
WHat's the best IWB clip for non belt pants?  Like basketball shorts or sweatpants?
View Quote
UltiClip
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#48]
First holster in about 2 years. I'm a little out of practice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Sooo, this thread seems to have gone to the graveyard.

I've made some holsters in the past but the forming and trimming has caused issues due to limited work space.

Recently I've found some companies selling pre-molded holster shells. All you do is fold and screw/rivet together.

I know a sponsor here sells them, knifekits, but found others. Any opinions on them as a down and dirty way to make a decent holster for on the cheap?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Reviving so it doesn’t disapperar
Page / 83
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 82 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top