Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2014 11:57:23 AM EDT
So me and my friends tried salmon fishing in Pulaski NY last year for the first time.  We had an absolute blast!  Were not so much hooked fisherman but we had a good time with great friends and we are planning on making it a yearly trip (only 20 minutes from our snowmobile camp).  My question is, what is a good setup as far as rod length, reel, lb of test, etc.  We are just wading and drift fishing (i think that is the proper term) in Salmon River in NY.  I need to get something a little more proper for fishing for salmon but dont want to break the bank since I am only going once or twice a year.

I have been looking at this combo here......... Salmon Combo

Not sure if the above will work.  Not sure on how much line it will hold vs lb of test, length of rod versus medium/light/medium heavy.  Just mostly looking for some advice from seasoned veterans.

Caught this on a bass fishing 6 ft pole.......I think I should have had something a little more heavy duty............just for reference I am 6'6"
" />

It was an awesome time with good friends.  Just looking for something a little better suited for the type of fish.  More pics of the trip.............
" />
" />
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The couple times I went I was using a 8'6" MH Uglystik salmon/steelhead spinning rod.  with a Penn Fierce 6000series..

Its been a good rod, which has seen all kinds of uses.   I toss on a bait runner and use it for freshwater stripers,  Also do quite a few surf fishing trips a year and usually Mom likes to go once a year,  so I take it for her, since my surf rods are a bit much for her to handle.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The couple times I went I was using a 8'6" MH Uglystik salmon/steelhead spinning rod.  with a Penn Fierce 6000series..

Its been a good rod, which has seen all kinds of uses.   I toss on a bait runner and use it for freshwater stripers,  Also do quite a few surf fishing trips a year and usually Mom likes to go once a year,  so I take it for her, since my surf rods are a bit much for her to handle.  
View Quote

I have 4 of these exact rods but paired with Penn liveliners that i use for downline rods for stripers. Their a great pole very limber even for a med hvy action but strong enough butt to haul the bigger fish around.

I have the eBay seller bookmarked who sells these rods for like $65 shipped cant beat them for the money.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
We fish the Salmon river a few times each year, wish we made it up more often. We usually fly fish but in general the longer the rod the better you can protect lighter leaders, I'd try and get a 8-8'6" mh. Most people I see spin fishing have a 5-6000 series reel. I'd put more $ into the reel than the rod. You want something to can stand up to long fights that are tough on the drag.

I would recommend trying a fly rod at some point. The longer rod also helps with longer drifts and keeping more line off the water for a more natural drift. You also can then fish the upper part of the river, which is fly only. I would also recommend trying the river later in the year after the salmon run to avoid the crowds. Good luck this fall.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks fun! I go to Michigan about once a year for the salmon. Normally around the Manistee area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top