Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2014 10:19:18 AM EDT
Went and got my new licenses for the year and decided to get out and do a little bit of fishing this weekend. Hit one of my favorite spots on the Missouri to check out the progress of the rainbow spawn. I saw some redds cleared out but didn't see trout on them. I fished for a few hours and pulled out this big boy.

He was about 23" and roughly 4 lbs. Filleted and brined him last night to get him ready for the smoker. Looks like they are getting ready to spawn.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry but that is the ugliest rainbow I have ever seen.. damn thing looks like a spawned out salmon
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry but that is the ugliest rainbow I have ever seen.. damn thing looks like a spawned out salmon
View Quote

Then you must not have a lot of experience with spawning rainbows because that one isn't even fully morphed. They are salmonoids, so they undergo the same changes as salmon, such as hooked jaws and curved backs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

less to share then

never had smoked trout, we just flop em in some cornmeal with a buttered pan. when they are done we just put the fillet on toast with salt/pepper, sometimes lemon.... the trout rarely make it back to the house
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

less to share then

never had smoked trout, we just flop em in some cornmeal with a buttered pan. when they are done we just put the fillet on toast with salt/pepper, sometimes lemon.... the trout rarely make it back to the house
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

less to share then

It's quite good and my preferred method of eating them (or salmon) when they are spawning as their meat starts to turn color an get soft. I keep the non spawning silvery ones for roasting/frying. I hope the weather improves soon so I can get back to smoking as I have a large amount of kokanee salmon I caught last fall during the snagging season I need to smoke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top