Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2016 3:05:37 PM EDT
I recently purchased a house on 16 acres.  I want to post "No Trespassing" signs before hunting season begins because the borders with my neighbors are not very clear and I don't want anyone wandering in to my impact area.  I know my boundary lines on two of the four sides, but the other two sides (both very wooded areas) are not 100% clear to me, I mean, I have a guess but I may be 20' or so off.  What's the best way for me to locate my borders without shelling out a few hundred to a surveyor?  I'm thinking along the lines of GPS app on phone.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If it has had a survey in the past, you might be able to find the corners. There should be a brass pin or a buried rebar post there. If there is no record of a survey, you should get one done. Neighbors will walk all over your place because they think their 2 acre place reaches all the way to the horizon or they had permission from 30 years ago.
I don't know how accurate the phone apps are. If you have GPS coordinates of the corners, that would work.
I used a satellite map view to trace the old fence lines on my property to find the edges. Matched up with the survey.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it has had a survey in the past, you might be able to find the corners. There should be a brass pin or a buried rebar post there. If there is no record of a survey, you should get one done. Neighbors will walk all over your place because they think their 2 acre place reaches all the way to the horizon or they had permission from 30 years ago.

I don't know how accurate the phone apps are. If you have GPS coordinates of the corners, that would work.

I used a satellite map view to trace the old fence lines on my property to find the edges. Matched up with the survey.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If you recently purchased, didn't they require a survey?  If so, you could look that up and use your math skills to find the corners, which might be rebar in the ground.

If not, you could look up the plat map and get it there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a long tape and find the plat.
Maybe borrow a metal detector...
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
you bought 16 acres with no survey??

thinking google or yahoo maps has an app that allows you to map out your property, then you only need to find one..
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

All I have is a plat.

I like the metal detector idea.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All I have is a plat.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I have is a plat.

See if you can find a reasonable surveyor.  Yes you can find the corners, but its a long way between points with 16 acres.  Echo the comments with the neighbors that have been hunting for 30 years, imaginary or not, its better to have a proper survey.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You can check for pins but honestly having a surveyor come in and knock out a proper survey is worth the expense long term
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^ that.

get a survey done.  it's cheap insurance.  eventually you are going to need it.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I deal with property boundary/lines as part of my livelihood, and always hire a registered/licensed cadastral surveyor to establish legally recordable property lines before closing any deal, however inexpensive the transaction. Don't rely on "Google Earth", or the county/parish on-line plat maps for accuracy --- their indexing is often/usually wrong. When push comes to shove,  the  party with the first recorded survey usually prevails...
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:08:54 AM EDT
[#11]
If old corners are pinned, a good way to get you in the ballpark for metal detecting them is to look up (GOOGLE) keywords your county, state and "GIS parcel viewer". These sites are commonly attached to county web pages. There is usually a map. Zoom in until you can make out you property. These sites often allow you to lift corner coordinates that you can then punch in a gps or gps app.  Accuracy will not be pinpoint, but can keep you close enough to let the metal detector do its thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I would get a survey and then I would go through and take down the trees along the property line and build a fence as well. But maybe thats just me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If old corners are pinned, a good way to get you in the ballpark for metal detecting them is to look up (GOOGLE) keywords your county, state and "GIS parcel viewer". These sites are commonly attached to county web pages. There is usually a map. Zoom in until you can make out you property. These sites often allow you to lift corner coordinates that you can then punch in a gps or gps app.  Accuracy will not be pinpoint, but can keep you close enough to let the metal detector do its thing.
View Quote

Sweet, my county even has deeds, google maps, bing maps and all tied in.
http://qpublic5.qpublic.net/qpmap4/map_sc_pickens.php?county=sc_pickens&layers=roads+topos#
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Accuracy will not be pinpoint, but can keep you close enough to let the metal detector do its thing.
View Quote
I looked at a property a few years ago where the GIS map was off by 30-40 feet.

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would get a survey and then I would go through and take down the trees along the property line and build a fence as well. But maybe thats just me.
View Quote

We think alike.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a house on 16 acres.  I want to post "No Trespassing" signs before hunting season begins because the borders with my neighbors are not very clear and I don't want anyone wandering in to my impact area.  I know my boundary lines on two of the four sides, but the other two sides (both very wooded areas) are not 100% clear to me, I mean, I have a guess but I may be 20' or so off.  What's the best way for me to locate my borders without shelling out a few hundred to a surveyor?  I'm thinking along the lines of GPS app on phone.  Thoughts?
View Quote

I bought just under 40 acres three years ago.  I shelled out +$800 for a new survey even though one had been done in 2005 and 2006 (two separate pieces of property).

I gained .16 acres in the survey since I had the two different plots put into one piece of property (survey guys can probably figure out the correct terminology).

Well worth it.  

Get.  A.  Survey.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy will not be pinpoint, but can keep you close enough to let the metal detector do its thing.

Yeah, the GIS maps can be off. Add even more inaccuracies with coordinates punched in a civilian GPS.  This method can get you in the ballpark for a metal detector to find an established pin rod.  Note that i said: "Accuracy will NOT be pinpoint...".
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Appreciate all the replies.  I spent a butt-ton of money this year, but will bite the bullet again and do it right: I'm hiring a well-respected local surveyor.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#19]
For the folks asking about why a "survey wasn't done" at purchase:

The type of survey that we order for closing is called a "Location Survey.” A Location Survey shows the location of the improvements on the property in relation to the apparent boundary lines of the property. It generally involves a physical inspection of the property and is accurate to plus or minus a few feet.

This type of survey will generally cost a few hundred dollars. It should not be used for the purpose of identifying the property’s boundary lines, such as for construction or permit purposes (you'll need a Boundary Survey for that). When you go to closing, you should feel free to ask the settlement attorney any questions you might have about what is shown on the survey.

A "Boundary Survey" is used to identify a property’s boundary lines. In this type of survey, the surveyor will set (or recover) the property corners and produce a detailed plat or map. To accomplish this, the surveyor will research the public records and do research in the field, take measurements and perform calculations.

This type of survey is what is necessary for construction and permit purposes, and it can be expensive — possibly even several thousand dollars — depending on the size of the property and how complicated the records are.

For commercial closings, lenders will usually require a type of survey called an "ALTA/ASCM Survey." ALTA stands for American Land Title Association, and ACSM stands for American Congress on Surveying and Mapping. An ALTA/ASCM survey is a Boundary Survey that must meet certain stringent standards established by these two organizations.

If you are buying a house and you plan on doing construction in the short term, such as putting on an addition or installing a fence, it might make sense to obtain a Boundary Survey as part of your purchase closing. That way, you would not be paying for a Location Survey for the closing and then having to pay for a Boundary Survey after closing.
View Quote

Location surveys are notoriously innacurate.  I knew a guy who worked for a surveying company, and in the 90's they'd do drive by surveys (like drive by appraisals) if the neighborhood was sketchy.  "Welp, this is the address, there's a house there, looks about right, lets go!"  I asked him about my property lines, and he came out with a metal detector and found the pins, one of which had a cap on it that identified the original surveyor.  He said that indicated an actual boundary survey, but not necessarily for my property - might have been for the neighboring parcel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All I have is a plat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I have is a plat.

That's really all you need.....assuming its straight lines and doesn't follow a old creek bed or something.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seen this happen also.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 1:14:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 40 acres and they want 4K for a proper survey
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shop around.  While the adage "you get what you pay for" usually applies we would often charge less than competing firms if we had done the same property before or an adjoining parcel.  It saved a lot of field work and research so we would pass the savings on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#24]
New neighbors tried day one to say y fence was on  their property. Told them to call a surveyor. Asswwipes were told my fence was actually 1' inside my property line.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#25]
As long as you can find two survey or corner markers, and are 100% sure they are on and correct then using a little math, and some really long measuring tapes will get you in the ball park.  

If you don't want to pay for a new survey then back off 10 feet from where you think the line is and post away.  I wouldn't try to post on what you think the line is because in my experience you can be several feet of using a regular GPS, compass, tape, and/ or your best judgement.

I have all but one corner marker, and the missing marker is an actual measurable distance along the road so its not really a huge deal for me.  1/2 my line is also blazed and panted long ago so that line is easy to follow.  I just freshened it up this past summer actually.  I add a bit of fresh flagging tape to the rest every year.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had 10k into my survey on 83 acres
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

suck
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I paid $1500.00 for a survey on a plot that was listed as 56 acres on a GIS map.  After the survey, actually netted 53.86 acres, so i went back to the seller and they reduced the purchase price according to acreage.

Now I have rebar with caps from the surveyor set on all the corners, and a very nice plat map overlay-ed on a satellite image.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top