Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Once in a Feb and close to dark, while solo and doing my last minute preps at the trail head, (yes, breaking my rule above about doing all that before hand) I saw 2 bums I knew lived in the woods at another trail head/parking lot, about 1 mile away(I'd called the forest service on them numerous times). They were coming over to where I was parked.. So before they saw me, I got into the nearby treeline, and watched(AMT .380 close by, and as I otherwise finished up my last preps). As soon as they got to the group of vehicles, one posted up as obvious lookout. The other, then first walked over to my Explorer, cupping his face/hands up against the glass to reduce glare and see in, and started calling out all the inventory...."blue jeans, cooler, boots, etc etc..."....all the while, the other guy is scanning the woods. They'd break in the select cars, and then of course steal..use..pawn..whatever the contents. So I then cleared my throat very loudly and obviously.  They both jumped, and urgently starting looking all around for where that noise camp from. They both then instantly took off running back down the old fire service road toward their camp, a mile away. Soooo, I've not even made it into the woods, and I got this chit going on. So I moved my truck down the road another 1/2 mile unto a small lookout where no one ever parked, (this was up high on the Blue Ridge Parkway) where those guys would never see it.

I've had 2 more somewhat serious encounters at THs, but that's for another day lol.

But again, when I was obsessed, I was going on weekend backpacking trips, 44-46 time a yrs..for yrs. Some otherwise up to 8-9 days. Seriously. That's no exaggeration either. Was only home for the holidays/birthdays(yes I was single those yrs, and had 5 weeks paid vacation I could take 1 day at a time each yr, son was grown and out of the house). So having only 3 small-ish incidents, isn't all that bad.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
A few years ago a 24 year old woman was beaten to death and decapitated on a hiking trail close to where I live and go backpacking. News Story

I carry 100% of the time. Backpacking is no different.

Smith and Wesson M&P .40
-2 extra 15 round mags
-Speer Gold Dot 180gr
-TLR-1 HL light

Usually carry in a bravo concealment kydex.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So my G34 with 4 extra mags is a bit much for hiking?
View Quote

It's good for training  Weight is only a concern when you're really trying to count ounces for longer trips, but I see a pistol as my "mental comfort" and accept the added weight.  There are several backpackers who scoff at it and I have no issues with them...they're not carrying the weight I am.  

I was just talking to guy who hiked the John Muir trail and he said the portion of trail that linked with the PCT was packed with tons of hikers who were "inspired" by the new movie 'Wild'; many were very disturbed, looked like addicts or had some serious mental issues.  There is a reason I carry and it isn't for lions, tigers or bears.

If anything, carrying while backpacking is still good training.  Now, if you add a rifle or shotgun, you're either hunting, scouting, in serious bear country or your patrolling...that might be pushing it for lightweight backpacking in the lower 48

ROCK6

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Some good info all.  A consideration for those with a G23 to cut weight is the .357 Sig barrel and ammo more range less weight than .40 S&W. Normally what I carry is about the same as a 125 Gr .357 Mag and if I am going to be out for a while a .22 lr adapter (suppressor optional) for camp meat.  I tend to carry revolvers in the west .44 Mag 329 or .357 Mag Model 60 3 inch to be able to use bird shot rounds for surprise snake encounters.
I like crossdraw about the best for woods use followed by shoulder rigs (depending on the pack).

Four caliber set up for a Glock 23 with the 9mm surpressed and the .22 lr surpressed by changing parts (.40 S&W Barrel is for a Sig 229 in the photo).

Three inch model 60 in .357.

.44 Mag

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top