Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 12:53:59 PM EDT
Hello all. I work hospital security (hopefully I'll be in the academy end of the summer), and I'm looking for some boot recommendations. I've worn 5.11 ATAC Storm boots for the last two years. They're extremely comfortable, but began deteriorating after a few months. Right now there are multiple holes in the leather, and the sole is separating all around.

It might be a bold statement, but I spend about as much time on my feet as the PD do in this area, so I am looking for something that will hold up better than the 5.11s. Some of the local PD guys recommended Salomons, Blauer, and Danners. My father was issued Bates, and swears by those. The winters here are nasty, and the summers can be warm so I'm looking for a boot that's a little more versatile. Just curious what ya'll use.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Bates are great. Dancers are just as good. That's about all the advice I can give someone in Maine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
2 boots, one for summer and one for winter
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I've been doing. I usually wear the Under Armour Valsetz boots in the summer, and the 5.11's in the winter. Unfortunately, both have fallen apart. Maybe I am just expecting too much from them?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Saloman makes all black boots and shoes.  They are great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a pair of Lows GTX's.  Wish I'd bought them sooner.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Just read somewhere Danner is bringing back their 6" Acadia (style) but in all leather.  USA made and resole-able.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
5.11 waterproof boots. They only lasted 11 months. Non-waterproof sucks. 
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saloman makes all black boots and shoes.  They are great.
View Quote
Just got a pair of the 4D GTX. So far I'm less then impressed. I have an extremely wide foot, so that may be the culprit.

Gutting out the break in process so we'll see how that goes and I'll report back.

ETA: One painful week later, they feel better. Still not perfect but hopefully after this week they will be fine. My problem isn't that they hurt my feet per se. They cut into the side of the ball of my foot, and across the top of the same. But they seem to be loosening up a bit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Danner Acadia. Expensive but they do last. Great boot. I have had 4 pairs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Keen makes several as well if you don't want to spend the $ on salomon.  Google Keen Pro and apply for a Pro account and see if you qualify for a discount.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#11]
It really depends if you have to shine them or not. I wore Adidas GSG 9s when I was working LAPD. In places like SFPD where they dont even know how to shine anything on their uniforms...you can get Under Armour boots which are super comfortable but nylon on the toe caps so wont take a shine. The 5.11s are ok if you have good arches in your feet, but if you dont...it will hurt like hell due to lack of support. Danners are great, super heavy. If you can go try it out as ultimately your feet will tell you what is best for them as what works for us may not work for you. Some boots come in Wide and Extra Wide as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Park ranger LEO here.  We were doodoo brown boots which limits the options considerably.  I log a 60/40 split between road and backcountry patrol so currently have 3 boots:  polished Danner Acadia for summer road patrol, polished Danner Rainforest II's for general winter work and lightweight Salomon speed assaults for SAR and BC patrol.  

Lightweight is great if you're putting serious miles on your feet but for general standing around LE work, the Danners are King.

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Original SWAT 6" for summer, Belleville 795 for winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top