Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2015 9:33:44 AM EDT

Good feeling knowing I've got a paycheck coming in for the rest of my life, albeit a pathetic one.

I've been looking for jobs for the past few months, but haven't found one worth quitting this one for.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Good on you

I have to go to 53 years old.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Well done sir!

And great screen name!
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good on you

View Quote

Probably a better retirement, though. I started at 21 years old, so I do feel pretty fortunate.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well done sir!

And great screen name!
View Quote

Back at you, sir.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats! I remember that feeling, stayed another six years, now 11 yrs into my next retirement. I will still be poor when I finally retire.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet, I've got 9 1/2 years to go...  

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats! I remember that feeling, stayed another six years, now 11 yrs into my next retirement. I will still be poor when I finally retire.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Good feeling knowing I've got a paycheck coming in for the rest of my life, albeit a pathetic one.

I've been looking for jobs for the past few months, but haven't found one worth quitting this one for.
View Quote
What percentage do you get at 20?

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sweet, I've got 9 1/2 years to go...  

View Quote

Me too, as a soldier though. Then I get to start a new career at 40
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 19 to go lol. Gonna do 28 (25+3 on the drop) got 9 out of the way lol!
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I hit 24 years last month and have 23 months to go, but who's counting. Then I can start doing what I want if I want  all over again at age 48  
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
At least you can BREATHE a little.

You are now at the point where if push comes to shove and the powers that be take a massive dump on your head you can simply leave. There's a lot to be said for that.

Depending on circumstances, you could also be dangerous to management. You don't have to cover for the jerk LT (or whatever) any more.

It may certainly not mean you're ready to retire yet, but you CAN. You have the option.

I have met a couple of cops that said that when they hit their 20 their attitudes changed dramatically. Both said that the job became a LOT more fun. YMMV.

I used to shoot with a cop that pulled his 20 in one boring little community and when he left there he went to a department where (as he put it) "I could actually do some real police work!"

Anyway, best of luck!  

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats.
That is a great feeling.

I couldn't get out fast enough.
Well, I guess that isn't true because I stayed another 3-4 months.

I had more than enough time, but had to wait on the age.
I fit in the gap between age and time on the job.
We could leave at any age with 25 years. Or we could leave at 50 years old if we had at least 20 years on.
When I turned 50, I had 24 years; and I left.

I figured out that for every year I stayed, my pension would go up by a approx. $1500/Year. That's a little over $100 gross per month for every year I stayed. . I loved the job, but didn't like living where I was living, so I left.

A year after I left, I got another job
It wasn't that I was bored. Far from it. But, I kept thinking that with my pension AND a job, I would be making more than I was before.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

good feeling isn't it. Its all gravy from here on out.

J-
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Enjoy It & CONGRATS!

Next month, I will be 2 years retired after having done 23 years..........

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#17]
CONGRATS!

I have 34 months left. It can not come soon enough.  Get out while you can and go have fun!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably a better retirement, though. I started at 21 years old, so I do feel pretty fortunate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good on you

41 start a second career?

How bad is your retirement?

mine as a Captain in the FD, will be about $75,000 a year, until I die. Plus $900/month for medical until I reach medicare age.

I can potentially "spike" m pension if I work a bunch of OT between now and my eject day.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Where else are you going to find a job with all that annual Vacation & sick days available, opportunity to work OT if extra income is needed?
There are guys that regretted leaving at 20yrs/50% not acquiring a better job prior.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

50% and 2 more % every year after. Horrible, I know. I can get a job and McDonalds to make up my other 50% and live the same lifestyle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I got 14 to go. But at least we get 70% at 20, 80% at 23.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Applied for TSA today
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Applied for TSA today
View Quote

Fuck that.  Just keep working at your agency.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got 14 to go. But at least we get 70% at 20, 80% at 23.
View Quote

80% at 23

that would be nice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Got five to go.  But will probably stay another five until the kids get through college.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#26]
5 years to go to hit 20.  50%.  65% at 25, 80% at 30.  I think I will go for 30...

Love it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Applied for TSA today

Do tell.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#29]
congrats, I am still a long way off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats on 20 OP !

I hit 25 full-time on Friday. Kind of bittersweet as I had a Disbility Hearing today and was awarded a line-of-duty disability from an injury at a fire in 2013. These next few weeks are going to be tough.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:27:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Have one more year until 20. Too bad I probably can't afford to retire for another 20.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Did 21 years as a LEO and retired on December 31, 2014 at the age of 51...  The best thing I've ever did for myself!!

I wanted to hardcore it out for another 3 years, but I was done and I knew it.  I didn't want to be like a couple of my friends that stuck it out to our max age of 57 and leave bitter.  I left happy AND very grateful for a pension and ALL the good memories.

On the financial front, it takes my agency about 6 months to finalize your full retirement pay, but currently in our interim pay status...  Basically, once everything is finalized, I'll be taking home (Net.) approx. 72% to 73% of what "I" use to bring home while working, so it was easy to adjust my monthly budgeting to fit in that reduction.  My advice to anybody in the retirement window, look at what you actually bring home per month verse what your "gross" yearly earnings are.  By doing this, you'll have a more realistic view of what you really need to retire and live on.  

As for post retirement work, I'm taking 6 months off even before thinking about searching for work.  If I do go back to work, I'm only seeking out part-time employment with no more than 24 hours per week...  I don't care if I'm working as a security guard (low to zero risk) since I don't need to prove anything to anybody and I really don't care what people think of me anymore!!  Basically, that income will fund my firearms addiction.

I'm planning on letting my TSP (401K) plan sit for another 3 years till it hits its half million mark and than start to draw on the yearly earned interest WITHOUT touching the principal for the foreseeable future.

Also, if you are in the military reserve...  STAY with it!!!!!!!!  Embrace the suckness!!! That pension is the cherry on top of everything... Granted, I have to wait another 8 years before my payments to kick in, but its nice to know that an extra $2Ks a month IS coming... Retired as an E-7.

My individual retirement strategy involves a three phase plan with the first phase being "do nothing toooooo demanding."  Second phase, age 55, "seriously, do nothing tooooo demanding at all" since my monthly will be increase by an extra $1,500 a month from my earned interest rates from my TSP account.  The last phase, age 60, be "fully retired" since with everything in place.  Plus, I'll be bringing home an extra $2,000 a month once my military pension kicks in.

Planning is everything and if none right, making the transition will be far easier and less stressful!!

Good luck!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top