Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2014 2:21:18 PM EDT
For years until it broke, I carried a Colibri double flame lighter that could be opened with one hand. It was always in my weakside front pocket and I use to pratice a form of gun retention drill where I could open it up and get it up to the neck or arms of the person who was attacking me.  Does anyone else have any outside of the box thinking last resort weapons they want to share .  I had that ligher cranked up to its highest point and I don't think anyone getting me in some form of hold would still be doing it with that burning their face, neck or arms.  The good thing about the lighter is that I use to smoke so I was not in violation of any SOP's  ect.  

Lets see what you guys have come up with.

Example of one

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.

And I assume you're familiar with the KBar TDI stuff, yes?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Like above, I have heavy duty stainless steel pens in my pocket that can punch through a 1/4" piece of plywood with little force. It has heavy knurls all up the body and have carried them for years.They are made by Hinderer and I will tell you they are very effective if you cannot get to any of your other tools.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just did a search for the behind-the-mag pouch mount many of us are familiar with and found this interesting review KA-BAR TDI Knife review - Unsafe For Duty?"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just did a search for the behind-the-mag pouch mount many of us are familiar with and found this interesting review KA-BAR TDI Knife review - Unsafe For Duty?"

The problem is not with the knife itself.  The TDI positions the blade aggressively in the hand for cutting and punching with a straight wrist.  Its handle is relieved to lock the index finger and prevent one’s digits from sliding on to the blade.  With training, the TDI can be wielded with great martial lethality.

Ultimately, I find the sheath of this knife to be its Achilles’ heel.  The molded polymer sheath has no retention, save a friction fit.  For a knife that is going to be carried out in the open, it should have a locking device similar to a Level II retention gun holster.

On 12/24/2010, Austin, TX Police Ofc. Frank Wilson found out the shortcomings of a KA-BAR TDI, firsthand.  During a physical struggle, suspect Maurice Pierce was able to pull Ofc. Wilson’s TDI from its sheath and slash Wilson across the neck.  Seriously injured, Wilson transitioned to his firearm and shot Pierce, who was killed.  Ofc. Wilson recovered from his wounds.  Austin PD banned any knife not carried in an enclosed case or secreted on the officer’s person.

The second I put my gunbelt on after mounting a TDI behind the mag pouch I took the knife off. It was obvious as hell and seemed like the perfect place to have someone grab it from you while you're fighting with them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, their sheath is certainly a weak point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Auto folder weak side front pocket and another auto folder on top of my vest just under the materal/right out of sight. Easy enough to grab either.

Needless to say if someone mounts me I'm putting rounds on them. If I need to retain retention of my weapon strong hand and can't draw it I'll deploy a knife weak side and will start engaging with that.

The heavy duty metal pens are good too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Ka-Bar LDK
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
<SNIP>
View Quote

Click Me... for the new version of the knife & "locking" holster.

Don't know how well it'd hold up against a full fledged fight, but I usually kept my TDI behind my radio roughly on my 4 o'clock position.  Putting it right up in the front behind the mag pouch IMHO is friggen stupid and completely unsafe.  Having it on my support side and to the rear was the most secure location for me as my Motorola was right there.  I figure I could hit the 10-99 button and grab the knife in almost the same motion.

FTR, I now carry an Emerson Karambit or Desert Roadhouse on my support side pocket.  Faster than an autolock and I don't need to find some button to push to open the blade.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I also carry pens as a last resort defensive weapon, but with a twist.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#12]

The big one goes into the kydex holster that is gorilla taped to my vest. the little one is inside my weak side pocket. And if that fails.....

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Regarding the original TDI knives, I stopped carrying mine after the Austin, TX incident.  I had been painting the visible side grey to match my uniform shirts, but still felt the weapon was too visible to prying eyes and groping hands.

Thanks for the info on the updated sheath.  I've passed that on to the guys who still TDI.

Myself, I carry an OTF auto in my support side pocket.

cheers,

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Folding auto in my support side pocket (Benchmade 5000). I feel folding autos are more reliable than OTFs, but that's mostly based on my internet research. Most in my AO don't even have autos at all. Anything with BM's Auto-Axis can be deployed with either hand.

Kahr PM9 in support side ankle is my slow last-resort option, but I'm confident something on my belt will be handier in a tussle.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Might not be "unique" but it works well.

Taurus 380 in my weak-side cargo pocket (in a Desantis Nemesis holster).  Within easy reach with one hand for a contact shot.  Cost as much as a couple of nice knives (plus it makes a great pocket gun for the summer when I'm in shorts).
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#16]
for the longest time we had a sap pocket on our uniform pants but saps were not allowed.  

A phillips screwdriver with a sharpened point  however, was not addressed by policy and it can be used to jump the starter solenoid on the CV.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Multiple knives, two backups on my body. 686 hidden in my front seat for walk ups to my window. AR riding in arms reach. I work alone in remote areas with backup sometimes 20 minutes away. Gotta take care of myself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Besides P3AT in front off side pocket and two folders in sap pockets...I got me one of deez

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't even carry my baton inside the prison. My only other option besides OC spray is weapons of opportunity. If I'm walking a tier and shit hits the proverbial fan, I'm usually walking with one of the big Folger Adams keys in my hand. They make a nice impact weapon.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a fan of using walls when fighting indoors, both as stationary weapons and concealment/ambushes (if applicable). Of course, you have to be able to get something important impacting it with sufficient velocity. This requires PT and sparring. Or at least funky-looking "air practice" moves you hope your friends don't see.

If you have familiarity, you can play scenarios out in your mind somewhat...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top