Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2016 1:22:52 AM EDT
I'm traveling from FL to New Orleans and back over new year, is it advisable to keep a hand gun in the glove compartment for the "you never know" or is this looking for trouble if stopped for speeding or maybe a accident "God forbid".  Advise please.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
4) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government. Arfcom CoC   I would not advise carrying a firearm with out a CCW license, or hiding it in the glove compartment, or in the map pocket in the door, or under the seat, or in my pocket. I would advise following all the speed limits, and rules of the road on your trip. One has to wonder why no permit has been acquired from Florida, wouldn't you be covered then in all states you plan to travel in?
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:57:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I sugest you check with Fla., Ala., Miss., and La., and see what their laws are regarding traveling with a firearm. In Texas for example you can now travel with a gun in your vehicle without a CHL. Used to be only if you traveled more than two counties and stayed overnight many years ago. Our Leg. sorted that out recently.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Mississippi should be no problem.  As I understand, your car is considered your house with regard to gun possession in Mississippi.

Assuming that you are legal to possess a gun.

Stay no more than 5 MPH above the posted limit and stay sober.

(We do have one Federal highway "The Natchez Trace" that runs north and south from Natchez to the northeast corner of the state that the Feds regulate. They have weird gun-in-vehicle regulations.)

ETA:

Guns in Vehicles in Mississippi
Last updated November 2, 2016.

Mississippi permits the open carrying of a long gun in a motor vehicle without a permit or license.

Mississippi permits the open carrying of a handgun in a motor vehicle without a permit or license.

The Attorney General of Mississippi has opined that a person may legally transport a weapon within a vehicle, whether or not he or she has obtained a permit. Furthermore, any person over the age of 18 years may carry a concealed weapon within a motor vehicle anywhere within the state without violating the concealed weapon law.

Mississippi prohibits public and private employers from establishing or enforcing any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting a person from transporting or storing a firearm in a locked vehicle in any parking lot, parking garage or other designated parking area.3 Private employers may prohibit employees from transporting or storing firearms in a vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage or other parking area provided for employees to which access is restricted by a gate, security station or other means to limit public access. These provisions do not authorize the transportation or storage of a firearm on any premises where gun possession is prohibited by federal or state law.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
In fla you can keep a gun in the glove box with no problem. love fla
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4) Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government. Arfcom CoC   I would not advise carrying a firearm with out a CCW license, or hiding it in the glove compartment, or in the map pocket in the door, or under the seat, or in my pocket. I would advise following all the speed limits, and rules of the road on your trip. One has to wonder why no permit has been acquired from Florida, wouldn't you be covered then in all states you plan to travel in?
View Quote

By posting the CoC, are you suggesting that what the OP was asking about is illegal?  If so, be specific - what law(s) would he be breaking, and in what state(s)?

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This guy has no idea what he is talking about.  This isn't GD.

Quoted:

Other states have similar laws.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

@AlvinYork, Some of us live in free states, you know?

OP I'm pretty sure you're good in Alabama and Mississippi. My daughter carries in her car in those states all the time and it was legal when I researched it. I am unsure about Louisana. I suggest you go to each states hometown forum and look/ask. You're good in Tennessee with ANY firearm possesed and loaded in your car.
Tennessee Rocks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if Alabama's law has changed, but in late 2015, I couldn't conceal an accessible handgun in the vehicle unless I had a CHL.
TX, LA, MS, and FL allow to carry an accessible firearm concealed in your vehicle, with or without a carry license.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

FL law is a bit hazy (surprise!) on what 'securely encased' means.

If I didn't have a permit I would keep a holstered gun in the glovebox or center console.  It can be loaded.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
As others have said, check the laws of each state. I know in Va, you don't need a CCW to have a loaded pistol in your glove box or center consol.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Louisiana you can have whatever you want, wherever you want. Ar15 on the dash or a pistol hidden in glovebox is fine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top