Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2012 8:12:40 PM EDT
Right now I'm reading Jon Gutmacher's book, Florida firearms law, use & ownership. In it there are several references to being able to use deadly force in a situation involving forcible felonies, fear for ones life or great bodily harm.

My question what exactly constitutes "great bodily harm", especially here in FL? is a broken nose? A bad laceration? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
GA law reads pretty much the same. It means an injury that can cause death or permenate disfigurement or loss of use of part of ones body.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
It usually means there is a large risk of death, disfigurement, or prolonged damage to organs. In FL courts it has also been defined as:

great bodily harm ... means "great [harm] as distinguished from slight, trivial, minor or
moderate harm and as such, does not include mere bruises as are likely to be inflicted in a
simple assault and battery.
Coronado v. State, 654 So. 2d 1267, 1270 (Fla. 2d DCA 1995)

Here's a vid on CA's interpretation: http://www.shouselaw.com/gbi.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Florida doesn't (appear to)* statutorily define the term "great bodily harm," so the courts look to the plain meaning of the words.  In my mind, it means anything that would require medical care, cause a disability or necessitate recuperation.

Here's a case from Florida that discusses "serious bodily harm," and the approach to applying such terms.  Link

* As far as I know, after a few minutes of researching it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Smack Brock Lessner in the face ... HE might have an issue defining that as doing him "great bodily harm".
(although he may re-define it for you. )
OTOH ... I've had retinal surgery before and would set my assault bar fairly low in defining "great bodily harm".
I, in no way, look like a sheeple target, but my being personally aware of what can occur from a blow to the face establishes for me
a different state of mind than a person who might either be unaware of the risks or someone like Brock who "embraces" that kind of activity.
"In the judgement of a reasonable man" is the other standard often quoted.
Unfortunately, that does little to clear things up when discussing the finer points of a particular case.
One last thing ... Hollywood has too many heroes.
Way too many generations grew up to Marshall Dillon or __________  (fill in the blank) shaking off a shot to the shoulder
and regaining the full use of that limb in time for next weeks episode.  
IMHO ... the average person is clueless about just how much damage a "simple assault" can do.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Just being pushed down off your feet for me is great bodily harm. You see eight weeks ago I fell of my tractor and landed wrong. Ruptured Achilles Tendon. Surgery, then been eight weeks of wearing a special boot followed by twice a week PT. I'm still not walking all that good and doc says four more weeks till I can put a shoe on. Never thought just falling down could cause such Bodily Harm.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]
You will likely have to review case (common) law to see how the courts have attempted to define it.

Statute law is NOT the only law.

Top Top