Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/5/2010 10:31:45 AM EDT
I was at Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington, CT today to browse the guns and i decided to try out a Glock 26 and a Glock 27 in their range.  I went to return the second gun (G26) and Clerk A was ringing me out while Clerk B was ringing out a lady and her daughter next to me (to my right, about 3 feet away).  When Clerk B took the gun from the lady, he pointed it behind the counter, to his right (to the left of me) but still behind the counter and Clerk A and pulled the trigger.  A round went off and burrowed itself about 3 feet away from me in the floor behind the counter.  
There is absolutely no excuse or reason this should have happened.  Their range policies state that all guns, unless on the firing line, must be unloaded and locked open.  Mistake 1 was that the female customer left a mag in the gun and it in battery (she said she tried to fire the last round and it wouldn't, so she figured it was empty and she was done, so she brought it back).  Mistake 2 was when Clerk B took the gun from her, instead of racking the slide to inspect it, he just pointed it in a safe direction and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer (the gun in question looked like a 1911, but I'm not sure).  And the best part is Clerk B tried to blame her - not that she wasn't at fault for giving him a loaded gun, but in my opinion, he is more at fault for pulling the trigger on a gun that he didn't know if it was loaded or not.  She wasn't kicked out or anything, she just left after that, and i did a few minutes after that.  The employees all though nothing of it except Clerk A, who, in the position he was in, was lucky he wasn't shot or hit my a ricochet.  
I used to think the staff there was better than that, but I should have known better than to think gun store employees could handle a gun properly.  Clerk B should lose his job for that.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I am filing this in places never to go again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Affirmative on Clerk B being severely reprimanded or fired. He should F-in know better than to take a gun from a customer and pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was at Hoffman's Gun Center in Newington, CT today to browse the guns and i decided to try out a Glock 26 and a Glock 27 in their range.  I went to return the second gun (G26) and Clerk A was ringing me out while Clerk B was ringing out a lady and her daughter next to me (to my right, about 3 feet away).  When Clerk B took the gun from the lady, he pointed it behind the counter, to his right (to the left of me) but still behind the counter and Clerk A and pulled the trigger.  A round went off and burrowed itself about 3 feet away from me in the floor behind the counter.  

There is absolutely no excuse or reason this should have happened.  Their range policies state that all guns, unless on the firing line, must be unloaded and locked open.  Mistake 1 was that the female customer left a mag in the gun and it in battery (she said she tried to fire the last round and it wouldn't, so she figured it was empty and she was done, so she brought it back).  Mistake 2 was when Clerk B took the gun from her, instead of racking the slide to inspect it, he just pointed it in a safe direction and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer (the gun in question looked like a 1911, but I'm not sure).  And the best part is Clerk B tried to blame her - not that she wasn't at fault for giving him a loaded gun, but in my opinion, he is more at fault for pulling the trigger on a gun that he didn't know if it was loaded or not.  She wasn't kicked out or anything, she just left after that, and i did a few minutes after that.  The employees all though nothing of it except Clerk A, who, in the position he was in, was lucky he wasn't shot or hit my a ricochet.  

I used to think the staff there was better than that, but I should have known better than to think gun store employees could handle a gun properly.  Clerk B should loose his job for that.  

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu3/ctdemolay0405/HoffmansND.jpg  

Oh my god  At least he can probably spell oh my god

J/K

Glad you didn't get hurt man.  If he had been a little more loose with that trigger this never would have happened
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Affirmative on Clerk B being severely reprimanded or fired. He should F-in know better than to take a gun from a customer and pull the trigger.

yep

I get handed a loaded gun probably once a month

I clear everything I touch

no problems in 15 years of doing this everyday

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to think the staff there was better than that, but I should have known better than to think gun store employees could handle a gun properly.  Clerk B should loose his job for that.  

Oh my god
 At least he can probably spell oh my god

J/K

Glad you didn't get hurt man.  If he had been a little more loose with that trigger this never would have happened

eh, that's the problem with spell checker, it doesn't check correctly spelled words that are used incorrectly.

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Clerk B should lose his job for that

+100
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Time for a road trip to Heckel!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Folks who have lived in CT know better than to shop at Hoffman's.  What a terrible establishment.

Give your business to Newington Gun Exchange across town.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Every gun store should have (at least) one of these:  Safe Direction

No matter how many times you check and recheck, one of these days, somebody –– a customer or employee –– is going to screw up and have a surprise Bang.  When it happens, the bullet should go into the designated bullet-catcher.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:07:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Folks who have lived in CT know better than to shop at Hoffman's.  What a terrible establishment.

i buy from NGX, but they dont have an indoor range, and i was up the road at the army navy store and decided i wanted to shoot for a bit

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Holy S&%T. I bought a number of guns for my collection there!

This was years ago but I thought the staff was pretty competent.

Glad you're OK!
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Good thing "Clerk A" was oval instead of circular; that could have ended with a whole lot of extra paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#14]
What a shock.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Well add that one to the list of reasons not to go there....
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#16]
That place is dangerous…My friend and I decide one day couple months ago to visit their indoor range to test out his new XDM. After a couple mags, my friend thought the gun was acting funny. He asks the “ranger safety officer “for help. Tell him it loaded and ready to rock, hands him the gun-2 seconds later BANG!! Almost get shot with his own gun. Another 2-4 inches he would have been shot in the hip.  This guy with a stupid look of Ooops just looks at my friend. Tells him its fine and walks away. After that BS we left ASAP…Glad I walked to the back when he handed him the gun to load mags. Safety officers my ass
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Not paying attention to rule number 1, eh. Wow, glad you and everyone else was alright. I ALWAYS clear a weapon that is handed to me, even if it's the store owner handing me one out of the case. I then rack the slide, lock it, and check the chamber and mag well and then hand it back to the person grip first. Scary stuff man.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I used to think the staff there was better than that, but I should have known better than to think gun store employees could handle a gun properly.  Clerk B should lose his job for that.  

Uh, if you as an employee do some shit like that in front of me in a store you better have your hat in hand when you turn to me or you're going to hear from my attorney.

John
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Not surprised.  Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, if you as an employee do some shit like that in front of me in a store you better have your hat in hand when you turn to me or you're going to hear from my attorney.

John

What does this mean?  I call soda pop so ignore my ignorance.

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Always clear the fucking weapon....clerk should at least be severely reprimanded
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Scary. Don't go there much.

Glad you and everyone else came out OK, except maybe for Clerk B.

+1 for Newington Gun Exchange
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#23]
When I went there they said they don't do preban EBRs.

Fuck them.

NGX or JoJos FTW
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There is absolutely no excuse or reason this should have happened.  Their range policies state that all guns, unless on the firing line, must be unloaded and locked open.  Mistake 1 was not following Rule 1: Assume all firearms are loaded.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

a HUGE +1
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Your mistake #2 should be mistake #1
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
What a tard.  Gun Safety fail on both parties part.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

[SNIP]

.........I used to think the staff there was better than that,.................  

[SNIP]

We must have had different experiences there then.  

Here is my suprised face about this incident ––––––->
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Clerk B should be fired.

What was your reaction OP? Did you flinch, hit the deck, etc?

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Hoffmans is a monumental shithole in an area already full of decent gun shops, and this doesn't surprise me at all.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#31]
interesting.

the pucker factor always goes up for me when i'm going to a range that is open to the public.

this is why.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow, a lot of Hoffman's hate in this thread... IMHO it is one of the best gun dealers in the state - sure, some of the staff are not up to par, and sometimes they are so busy that it's hard to get the attention of a salesperson, sometimes their prices suck but many of their prices are decent (for the area, that is), they have a pretty good inventory, and some of their staff is great... The range is mainly good for testing a pistol before you buy (with their 10 shots for $10 program)...
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#33]
again this is inexcusable

a customer bringing a loaded gun into to a gun shop is not exactly a rare occurrence

and should be planned for

if ya touch it ya clear it
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Clerk B should be fired and clerk A should be kicking his ass.

What was your reaction OP? Did you flinch, hit the deck, etc?

basically i just blinked and went "what the fuck?" after that, nothing, as i couldn't really believe that happened.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#35]
What time was this? I was just there buying ammo...

There are a few guys working there that really don't belong behind the counter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Clerk B should be beaten, then fired. Lady should be banned from store forever.

Pics of lady?
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Two very good friends that got me in to guns told me something to NEVER FORGET:

"No matter who hands you a firearm, ALWAYS check it to see if it is un-loaded before pulling the trigger, if it isn't, un-load it, THEN pull the trigger if need be(test or what have you).
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

Simple answer is that he should be groveling and begging forgiveness, basically the hat in hand is to show that he is being submissive and respectful.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Never used the range but shouldn't there be an employee to check weapons before it makes it through the store? An "AD", does anyone know if LEO was called to file a report?
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#40]
plenty of fail all around on that one, but i agree that clerk B bears the brunt of it.

glad no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#41]
This is not the first time this has happned at Hoffman's.  I witnessed one of their clerk / firearms insructors almost shoot himself as he holsterd his personal sidearm inside the store.  He shot the floor with a 45 ACP.

The last I knew they had a felon working behind the counter and handling weapons.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Ears still ringin'?  

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#43]
FUCK THAT PLACE!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

Simple answer is that he should be groveling and begging forgiveness, basically the hat in hand is to show that he is being submissive and respectful.
Huh? why an attorney?

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Hopefully Clerk A beat the shit out of Clerk B afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I was there after work today and saw the hole in the carpet. I had no idea it had just happened yesterday. WTF?
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#47]
not yesterday, today
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
not yesterday, today

Hmm, even more WTF. I was there for almost two hours and talked to half the people working and nobody said a word about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow. almost all of my guns have came from Hoffman's. All the staff have always treated me great. I never had any issues there. But this is inexcusable. I'll have to ask them about it my next trip up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#50]
So are you getting a Glock 26?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top