Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2009 5:08:54 AM EDT
I've been thinking about getting another dog, I've been looking into adopting a young Lab.  

I already have 1 dog, a sweet little black lab mix that is about 2 years old and currently weights about 50lbs.  I adopted her from the Humane society when she was 4 months old, and I've had her for close to 2 years now.  

I am 31, single, have no kids, and have a 9-5 type job.  Of course this means its pretty much me who will be taking care of both of them.  I do have friends with dogs and we take turns watching each others dogs when out of town, and schedule times for them to play together.

Am I biting off more then I can chew?
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]

The more the merrier.
I'm kidding.

I have always had 2 dogs.
They keep each other company when we are not home and the alarm system is doubled on the property.
You can always have one inside and one outside, too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't sound like a problem, and your current dog might enjoy the company during the day.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
shit! My GF has SIX dogs or at least the eat dog food 4 weigh less than 10# each and 2 are standard poodles thought believe it or not poodles make GREAT guard dogs!
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Growing up we had 2 dogs, they kept each other company when the family was gone.  When one passed away it was never quite the same.

Like I said before my current dog is still pretty young and has a lot of energy so getting another dog with a similar energy level will be good for her.  She gets along well with other dogs (who will play with her), and always seems happier when another dog is around to play with.  I recently watched my friends dog while they where out of town, you could tell she was kind of bummed when the other dog went home.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I think two dogs is a great idea.  You don't feel so guilty when you have to leave your dog for the day while you go to work if

there's a second dog.  They'll be each other's company.

I'd take a second Aussie in a heartbeat.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
shit! My GF has SIX dogs or at least the eat dog food 4 weigh less than 10# each and 2 are standard poodles thought believe it or not poodles make GREAT guard dogs!

My brother, well his wife, has 2 toy poodels.  I will admit, the yappy bastards do make pretty good guard dogs in the since that if anything happens you will know about it.  On the other hand I'm not sure two 8 pound dogs is really going to intimidate an intruder.  

Supposidly Poodles make gooding hunting dogs too...

I'm looking into Labs because; 1. we had some growing up 2. they are know to be friendly w/ dogs (when socialized properly, and good with children (I have 6 small nieces).
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Dogs are pack animals the worst thing you can do with a dog is only have one.

(we have four )
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, it's probably healthier for your dog to have another pack member.

They keep each other company.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This I agree with. Your Pup will thank you!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This...  They love the companionship...  

But, you will now have twice the devestation to clean up.  Ask me how I know...

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm quite aware of the extra work and expenses envolved. Growing up we had a Lab and a Dalmatian, talk about partners in crime, between the 2 of them they could pretty much devour anything.

Can't see your pics now, I'll have to wait until later when I'm not behind works firewall.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 3 - sure, go for it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/davis9588/015.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/davis9588/011-1.jpg

Labs FTMFW

We have 1 lab left, and she is kept company by 2 Brussels Griffons. Throw a tennis ball and watch the asshattery ensue. They do keep each other company, and any one of the three are better behaved than the 4 step urchins I raised then booted out of the house.

Do it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm quite aware of the extra work and expenses envolved. Growing up we had a Lab and a Dalmatian, talk about partners in crime, between the 2 of them they could pretty much devour anything.

Can't see your pics now, I'll have to wait until later when I'm not behind works firewall.

Got a  Choc and Black.  Boy is 6 months, Girl is 5 months...  They are destroyers of worlds.  They can take down any tree 3" or less in diameter, and love to eat vinyl siding.  Evidently their toys are junk or just dont taste good...  They also refuse to sleep in their dog houses, and prefer to dig under the shed and live there?!

I have had labs my whole life, but never had a pair at one time.  They are complete nuckleheads.  I am having to seperate them just to train them, but the "seperated" one howls like they are being beaten when the other is not around... Both are AKC registered goofballs.  Both are completely loveable.  They love the kids to death, and they are completely inseperable.

On a brighter note they love baths...  Especially when the kids are in the tub...  Just use your imagination about the mess that ensues.

Here they are today... after digging half way to China...

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Dogs need buddies.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a beagle and beagle/dachound mix. I've always had two dogs, most of the time. I space mine apart a few years, then when the old one departs I find a new best friend for the me and the remaining one.

My older little beagle, Abbie, was very fearful and nerotic, she had not human socialization till I got her at 10 months old, just other beagles. I had a grayhound and terrior mix (the old one that "fent") when I got her but she didn't really relate to them. When I got blue, the mix, they bonded and abbie is like a normal doggie now.

Also, when I got my grayhound, I had the terrior mix (dusty) and ginger (the grayhound) liked her company better than human company, she was another fearful neurotic doggie, the first owners did not have another dog, and they took her back because all she did was stand in the corner and tremble.

I don't know about labs though. I have never known a lab that was not stupid and unmanageble. I know they are really smart, I mean, they are used as guide dogs and working dogs. I think they need more attention than most doggies.

For the most part, I think 2 doggies are easier to care for than one.

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#17]
As said, Dogs are pack animals.  I have a chocolate and a black lab.  They are best of buddies.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#18]
You need two.

We had a rot/husky mix for about 4 years and decided to stop in the pound one day to see what they had. I was "adopted" by the most loving lab/hound mix I've seen. He was laying in his cage and I knelt down to look at him. He just looked up with his eyes almost like he was trying to look pitiful. I stood to walk away and he leaps to his feet and let out a beautiful bawl.

I grew up around coon hounds and that sealed the deal for me.

Now both these dogs are killing machines. Mice, rabbits, moles, My Best Rooster. So of course my daughter wants a cat. We get an "outside" cat. I warn repeatedly that it's gonna take ONE time of that cat getting in the house or a dog getting out and that will be the end of Fuzzball.

Well, I decided to try an intensive socializing program and slowly acclimated the dogs to believe the cat was their pal. It worked. But now, Huckleberry (the hound, of course) and the cat are inseperable. He actually puts his whole mouth all over the cat. Actually picks her up by the scruff of the neck and drags her around. She loves it and will come back for more and aggervate him until he does it some more.

It freaks people out. "Your dog is eating your cat!!!!" It's hilarious.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]
We have two dogs also, just keep in mind two vet bills, two heart worm pills, two flea and tick meds, two licences a lot more food, treats, toys ect. But it's all worth it to us.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Good idea, go for it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I miss the dog..
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

+1

I have 2 pits and they're great dogs. They keep themselves company while I'm gone and look out for the house and their property.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We have two dogs also, just keep in mind two vet bills, two heart worm pills, two flea and tick meds, two licences a lot more food, treats, toys ect. But it's all worth it to us.

When I look at all the stupid crap I waste money on, spending it on another friend sounds like a better idea.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 dogs, they're brother & sister and half beagle and half cocker spaniel... I bought one and had to have the other so i got his sister the next day, sometimes I do regret getting the 2nd as she's more hyper, a dominant female and a completely jealous attention whore whereas he's real laid back and a "Iwanna lay on the couch and sleep type dog"... Now everynight from 5-10 or so it's like a royal rumble with them play fighting, chasing each other, jumping on and off the couch and so on... I do love my 2 dogs but they are certainly a handful compared to having just one dog. If you want 2, I'd maybe try it out as a temporary thing and see how your current dog handles it, if he's cool with it, I say go for it, if they play fight for 4 hours straight barking and chasing and everything, then that shit might get old real quick...

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#25]
the best thing you can get a dog is another dog. We have five, 3 labs (grandpa, his daughter and his grandson) a boxer rescue dog and a puggle. the 20# puggle rules the roost over the 100# labs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got three dogs and I wouldn't now what to do with any less.  I've got a boykin spaniel, chocolate lab, and a boston terrier.  The lab and boston are inseperable while the boykin just lays around and watches them play.  The vet bills can be expensive but its worth it.

Bluebelle, shes 10months now.  Only 3 months in the picture

Charlie, 4 years
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Just picked up a 5 month old lab mix pup to keep our 11 year old Boxer mix company. He should have had a friend a long time ago.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Two is great. I had three at once until the oldest passed, only downside is picking all the poop up each week.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Required pics of my current dog.  For some reason the camera made her eye's look really blue, but they are brown.

I'm going to the rescue this weekend to check out a few of the dogs they have.  None of the Labs are puppies, the ones I am going to look at range in age from 1 to 3.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#30]
My first dog was a Lab-mix Hurricane Katrina rescue.  He was born right after the 'cane passed and most of his littermates died of thirst and hunger when their mother died.  He was one of the few that survived and has had anxiety issues from when we got him at 5 months of age.

We picked up a Lab of the same age a year later.  Best thing we ever did.  The first one is doing so much better now that he has a buddy with him at all times.  I'll never have just one dog after this.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Hell i have four dogs
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Pepper our Aussie Cattle dog is about 12 years old, and half the size of Shadow the hell hound who is about 3 years old.  They are usually good friends and enjoy each others company, although Pepper made a couple of trips to the vet from the "who is Alpha dog" contests.  Ironically, Pepper won the discussion and he won't even look at her food bowl.  One thing about having 2 dogs, the workload more than triples compared to one dog, but you get 4 times the love.

Paladin

"companionship" on a quiet day.2006

"plotting against the white man".2007

sharing a private doggie joke.2008
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]
when I was single it was easier for me to just have one dog that went with me everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I adopted a Rott mix about 3 weeks ago.  He kept getting adopted and returned for "not working out".   He's fine for me.

Last week, I found out my parents had adopted a lab puppy  for me even before I got the Rott.   So the idea of 2 dogs just kinda happened, but I was looking for a buddy for the Rott.  They learned the doggy door, fenced yard, etc.  There's a lot of things you already do for 1 that 2 doesn't make much difference.  

There's been a few moments of exciting teeth baring, but its slowly working out (2 males).  Pics are in chronological order::

Disclaimer:   Pics are at the GF's, so don't give me shit about the decor
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Only 2 doggies? That's nothing. We have 5 black Labs in my house. I take care of the two males, it's like having 2 hairy room mates. The yougest male who is 2 years old now is like the "Marley" dog, he recently decided to tear up about 2 sq yds of carpet in the master bedroom. The wife and daughter each have a female and my brother has an older female Lab. We started out with 2 Labs, they had a litter and we kept 2 puppies. Later a stray female Lab, now my brother's showed up at our door. She is awesome, smart, trained, does tricks, perfect attitude.

My boys, Bubba and Bear (father and son). Older picture.

Link Posted: 12/8/2009 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Get the dog.  It'll be very good for the dog you already have to have some company during the times you're not around.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/davis9588/015.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d189/davis9588/011-1.jpg

Awwwwww, I love Lab puppies. I used to have a Chocolate, he was awesome. Now I just have black Labs, hard not to love those destructive doggies.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 2:00:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Get a 2nd dog.

We had our beagle for a few years (yoda dog in my avatar) and he started getting fat and lazy so we figured he needed some company.

We went to a shelter and looked for the dog that had been there the longest, that is how we found the lab/chow mix (vadar dog in the avatar), he had been there his whole life (10 months) and no-one wanted him as he was terrified of people, he would fight to get away if he was within 6 foot of anyone. We got the beagle out of the car and his demeanor changed 100% instantly, his tail started wagging and he came over to say hi.

He has been a lot of work, at first we had to drag him everywhere on a leash as he would just find a corner to hide in and would shake and pee if you got too close, but now he trusts us and wants to be with us and will willingly approach strangers, he even chose to stay downstairs last weekend when we had 40 people he didn't know over for a christmas party. He isn't perfect, he is an alcoholic (will drink any wine left accessible to him) and is scared of parked cars and trash cans, but both dogs are so much better off since we adopted him.

Link Posted: 12/9/2009 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I think having two dogs is a good idea.  They are pack animals and are more comfortable and happy in a pack of any size.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Everyone needs a buddy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 2:20:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I have two labs, the older one about 10 years old now, still doesn't particularly like the younger one. Never has, she is now about 7 years old. He tolerates her that is about it they are not the best of friends.  so . .  . .  Two dogs, more vet expenses, splitting time, If you are able to spend time with your one dog now, I'd stick with one, seems like you always get one good, ( the first lab is smart does what I want, obeys in a second), the second, dumber than a bucket of hair, doesn't listen.  ( but still gotta love her bone head that she is).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#42]
arfcom fashion   Get both!
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 2:31:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a Mastif-Rhodisian Ridgeback Mix and a Mastif-Boxer Mix, keep in mind I grew up with a Dachshound. My wife grew up with big dogs so of we went. The one hads had some medical issues but regardless faithfull companionship, obedient ( if you handle them right) and yes very good security. We waited untill our boys were 5 and 7 before we got them and they were both rescues. They do eat and spring clean up after a long snowy winter is always fun..but if I had more land I would probably have two to three more.......just make sure who you date likes dogs....if they don't then she probably won't work out n the long run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top