Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/22/2009 10:37:41 PM EDT
So I'm at the bar tonight with a few friends when a guy walks in wearing this T-Shirt

At first I took a look at the shirt and gave the guy a disgruntled look. After another beer I pulled the gentlemen aside and asked him if he knew how many Hundreds of MILLIONS of people had died under the communist rule. He responded that he didn't know and said, "what do you want me to do, take off my shirt?" I responded no, that would make me a dick and I know we all want to have a good time. However, I would be cautious as to where you wore that shirt because me wearing a Hitler shirt would probably be less offensive than the shirt you're wearing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
oh boy.  Let me just make a prediction here and say that this thread is definitely not going where you thought it would.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
oh boy.  Let me just make a prediction here and say that this thread is definitely not going where you thought it would.

ETA:  I thought this was going to be a Michelle obama joke.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You should probably drink less...
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol in.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As someone who completely believes in free speech and probably has more offensive views than most people I understand where this could lead. However, If anyone ever challenged my views I would be happy to take their view into consideration. This is why I didn't drag the guy outside and demand he remove his shirt, I simply let him know that he should look up the history of communism before wearing a shirt making a joke of it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
doesn't that pic make fun of communism?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
What if the shirt had Obama on it as well?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I kind of thought that shirt was taking a shit on the communist "PARTY".
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As someone who completely believes in free speech and probably has more offensive views than most people I understand where this could lead. However, If anyone ever challenged my views I would be happy to take their view into consideration. This is why I didn't drag the guy outside and demand he remove his shirt, I simply let him know that he should look up the history of communism before wearing a shirt making a joke of it.

Did you realize this part before or after the confrontation?

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's what I thought.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, I'm thinking after.  Like after he posted this thread.

eta: Good thing the guy wasn't wearing the shirt that has the picture of Che wearing a Che shirt on it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No I realized where he was going with the shirt, and got the "Joke" but had it been a Nazi party joke I doubt many would have been laughing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't know...I think the joke is simply the double entendre...communist "party".

It's not making fun of communism. It's just as bad as a Che shirt IMO.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother has the same shirt. It's a joke, lighten up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I sense some irony, so you're the local bar dress code nazi?

I would MYOB if it were me. To each their own, but what good what it have done or what were you expecting him to do? Run home and change? Apologize because someone may or may not be offended? Its a funny shirt for cripes sake! You said something about free speech yet you took it upon yourself to call him out?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

doesn't that pic make fun of communism?

I'd say it more trivializes it which isn't as excusable.  That said, I don't think OP was out of line handling it the way he did, OTOH I think it might have been a bit much for night out, and IF the guy took offense and got belligerant I think the OP would be the one who should back off at such a point.  Shades of gray.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I realized where he was going with the shirt, and got the "Joke" but had it been a Nazi party joke I doubt many would have been laughing.

You probably would have had a heart attack over the 'Leningrad Air Show' T-shirt (it had a cool ass drawing of a Mig-25 and a big ass red star) I wore back in the 80s...

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#20]
The guy isn't an idiot.  You need to lighten the fuck up...  Jesus Christ....
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]
IMHO seeing anything with a hammer and sickle on it is
offensive. But welcome to the U.S.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Whoah.

I know two very right wing and historically aware people who have that shirt. It really is just a joke.

I should make you aware that Monty Python did a hilarious "Mr. Hilter" sketch without any big controversy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#23]
ive seen that shirt before. I almost bought it too. I think its funny and in no way supports communism. Its a play on "communist party"

Francis, lighten up

ETA: as one poster mentioned, a nazi party shirt such as this one would be funny
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#24]
He should have punched you in the face.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh. If it's your bar, I think you did good letting the dude know about the commies.

But, it is making fun of the Communist PARTY. I probably would of drunk slurred at him "commies suck!" and left it at that.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Whoah.

I know two very right wing and historically aware people who have that shirt. It really is just a joke.

I should make you aware that Monty Python did a hilarious "Mr. Hilter" sketch without any big controversy.

please explain the joke to me? Does the double entendre of "communist party" mask the fact that you have some of history's biggest murderers laughing it up?  It's not funny to me.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the shirt, I would of asked him where he got it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This video just may give you an aneurysm then.

Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#29]
why entertain or try to "educate", idiots?
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoah.

please explain the joke to me? Does the double entendre of "communist party" mask the fact that you have some of history's biggest murderers laughing it up?  It's not funny to me.

Damn. I know what terrible awful people the Commies were/are, but i think you are taking a SHIRT, an article of clothing, wayy too seriously.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#31]
oh yea, photoshop rocks!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

But it wasn't a nazi party shirt....

Do you get mad when people say grammar nazi? How 'bout Pedo Bear? What about the forum pic of the guy that says "you gonna get raped?" There's funny shit everywhere that uses serious issues as the basis for the funny.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I am noticing a trend in the 2009 users (like I have any fucking room to talk) trying to fit in by posting stories/etc like this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You must not get out much, on the internet or RL.

Shit, Hitler getting banned from X-box live isn't exactly the first time someone has made a joke out of Hitler. Trust me, it's happened before.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm glad we live in a country where he has the right to wear that shirt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't drink so much.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sure you're a hit at parties....
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm glad we live in a country where he has the right to wear that shirt.

this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey OP, do you own an AK or a SKS or any commie gun. You point out the guy wearing the shirt, that millions of people have died because of communism. Do you know that the barrel on one of your guns may have actually have killed one of those people you were so concerned about. No worries just send them to me I'll make sure they get disposed of properly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoah.

Damn. I know what terrible awful people the Commies were/are, but i think you are taking a SHIRT, an article of clothing, wayy too seriously.

What bigger way of making a statement than wearing it on a shirt?  Wearing a message, of any sort, in the form of a shirt makes a statement without even openng your mouth.

So what makes that shirt so funny?  If you had a shirt with dems or republican party would it be as funny to you?  It seems that people like the shirt because they find the irony of shady/dark characters cast into a funny scene amusing.  I find it offensive. Idk, that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoah.

What bigger way of making a statement than wearing it on a shirt?  Wearing a message, of any sort, in the form of a shirt makes a statement without even openng your mouth.

So what makes that shirt so funny?  If you had a shirt with dems or republican party would it be as funny to you?  It seems that people like the shirt because they find the irony of shady/dark characters cast into a funny scene amusing.  I find it offensive. Idk, that's just me.

this is why.

to each his own
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have...
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We have a thing called the 1st Amendment, you know, that freedom of speech thing. Just saying...
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I thought.

Me three. OP is not getting the joke.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a thing called the 1st Amendment, you know, that freedom of speech thing. Just saying...

If you are referring to me then yes, I realize that...  Hence the reason I didn't report him to the police.  The 1A doesn't protect you from me telling you to lighten the fuck up when you're being far to uptight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a Mao tee that shows his face while wearing Mickey Mouse ears and under th picture, it says Mickey Mao.

I got it from a curb side vendor on Telegraph St. in Berkeley of all places.

People laugh when I wear it.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I have a Mao tee that shows his face while wearing Mickey Mouse ears and under th picture, it says Mickey Mao.

I got it from a curb side vendor on Telegraph St. in Berkeley of all places.

People laugh when I wear it.

Chris

In before someone without a sense of humor thinks your an advocate of genocide.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes we do. It goes BOTH FUCKING WAYS, you know. You want to be a fucking douch-bag and an ass-clown and make your little statement by wearing your fucking  Che shirt or whatever, EXPECT someone else to utilize THEIR freedom of speech and tell you to FUCK OFF you fucking COMMIE COCKSUCKER. Just saying.

I don't mean you literally...I mean anyone who would wear this shit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:05:03 AM EDT
[#49]
It's a funny shirt. But wearing it is as wrong as wear a tshirt ith hitler, goebbels, eichmann etc. saying "nazi, it's a party!".

It's like the people who think che shirts are cool. They probably are ignorant of the fact that the man on their shirts is murdered thousands of men women and children.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'm sure you're a hit at parties....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top