Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 4/7/2009 6:44:41 AM EDT
ABC's 20/20 will run a 1 hour long program this Friday night at 9:00 central titled  "If I Only Had a Gun."  I wouldn't expect anything but a hit piece, but I'll DVR it anyway.

LINK
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno...I've been kinda surprised recently witn SOME of the MSM's handling of gun issues. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ABC's 20/20 will run a 1 hour long program this Friday night at 9:00 central titled  "If I Only Had a Gun."  I wouldn't expect anything but a hit piece, but I'll DVR it anyway.

LINK

If it is a John Stossel piece, it will be very pro-gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

QFT.

Stossel is staunchly against meaningless gun laws. He has come around in the past decade or so.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

QFT.

Stossel is staunchly against meaningless gun laws. He has come around in the past decade or so.

Reading through the link the OP had I am not so sure. It's got a provocative (seemingly pro-gun) headline, that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:03:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

QFT.

Reading through the link the OP had I am not so sure. It's got a provocative (seemingly pro-gun) headline, that's about it.

I doubt it, it will probably be along the lines of If I only had a gun I would have shot that guy that cut me off, not If I only had a gun I could have stopped that madman from killing all those people.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a Diane Saywer hit piece.  Here's a quote from the trailer;

"As the nation gets a clearer picture of two killers who have made headlines in recent days –– one near Pittsburgh, one in Binghamton, N.Y. –– some are wondering whether Americans have too much access to guns."

The anti-gun weasels are on full-kill right now, and Sawyer is a tool.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
It is going to be Anti - 2nd.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Imagine if that fucker used gasoline and blocked the entrances with more cars...

ABC would be running anti-gasoline and anti-car shows....

oh...wait... no, they wouldn't.... because guns seem to be the only inanimate object that absolves criminals of guilt, because the GUN made them commit the crime.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Judging from what I heard on GMA yesterday, it sounds like they're gonna show that even if you have access to a gun it still might not make a difference.

If that's the case, then they've missed the point.  If you sleep on the 2nd floor and all guns are in the safe in the basement and someone breaks in, you're probably not going to have a chance to go for your gun.  If someone catches you off-guard and has a knife to your throat or a gun pointed at you pont-blank, you're probably not going to have a chance to go for your gun.  If you're carrying and someone kicks in the door and starts executing, you could try drawing and there's a chance you'll get shot.  Of course, if you do nothing, there's also a chance you'll get shot.

The point is that the appropriate tools (like a firearm) COULD offer you A CHANCE.  If carrying/owning a gun gives you only 1-in-a-billion odds against an attacker, I guarantee you the odds without a gun are AT LEAST that, if not worse.  So I'll take 1-in-a-billion over 1-in-a-billion-and-one any day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw the commercial last night and cussed at the TV.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

In general I have been very impressed with Stossel.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Giving up tv was the most liberating thing I have ever done.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:51:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

+1...he's honorable if nothing else

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

I don't think this has anything to do with John Stossell! As stated above, it's DIANE SAWYER who is just a tad to the left of Hugo Chavez of Venezuela. I saw the commercial for it last night and it's a hit piece. One of the things they're going to do is run scenarios and show how helpless you would be even with a firearm.

Fuck ABC, I think there's a test pattern I'll be watching instead.

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ABC's 20/20 will run a 1 hour long program this Friday night at 9:00 central titled "If I Only Had a Gun." I wouldn't expect anything but a hit piece, but I'll DVR it anyway.

LINK

Yea he is the only person on ABC that I will listen to
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Stossel: pro-gun Jew from Chicago. He might be the only one!
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Too bad they won't run a special about all the times someone HAD a gun and was able to put it to good use.  Oh yeah, what am I thinking, they were obviously crazed, and put that poor little felon.

If you have ever been in a spot when you desperately NEEDED a weapon, and did not have one, you are probably the only one that ought to offer an opinion, especially on TV....
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Imagine if that fucker used gasoline and blocked the entrances with more cars...

ABC would be running anti-gasoline and anti-car shows....

oh...wait... no, they wouldn't.... because guns seem to be the only inanimate object that absolves criminals of guilt, because the GUN made them commit the crime.

The Happy Land Social Club arson was done with gasoline and killed 87 people.  Along with the Murrah bombing, the two biggest mass murders in this country used petroleum as the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#20]
tag
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#21]
IT'S DIANE SAWYER NOT JOHN STOSSELL!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#22]
If Stossel does it, it will be done well...

edit after seeing previous post
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#23]
If it was a Stosel segment it would be pro-gun.  But its not.  Expect the worst.  

I'm actually surprised they let Stosel do the stuff that he does.  

Don
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#24]
This is the liberal anti-gun media paving the way for congress to enact new bans.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you.  It's right on their webpage, hosted by DIANE SAWYER.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw an extended preview for this last night.  There was about a two second shot of two toddlers picking up pistols and looking down the barrel.  This won't go well for us.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's a Diane Saywer hit piece.
<SNIP>

Its too bad too. ABC has done everything they could to silence Stossel. I remember back in the old days he used to have one hour specials every 4-6 months. Now if you want to see his stuff, you got to buy his book.

Give me a break.

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, it will be a hit piece.  It's Diane Sawyer, did anyone expect anything different?

Looks like it'll be trotting out that kids-with-guns clip they aired way back when, something about showing kindergarten kids a video about gun safety and then leaving empty .357s in their legos.  They only showed the handful of kids playing with the guns, and left out the majority that handed them over to an adult.

My sincerest wish is that these empty-headed anti-freedom journalists are someday placed in a position where they need a gun to survive...and then don't have one.  Since they actively seek to deny us our rights NOW, I hope they figure it out too late to save themselves.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Just finished watching the promo piece on the website. In it they claimed after the VTech shooting there were calls for closing the gun show loophole by legislators. It might be because I visit this site, but I remember just as many calls for allowing CCW on campus.

Holy shit how its being slanted already.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#33]
If it shows how someone can murder you anyway regardless if you have a gun "available" or not perhaps it's just an argument for carrying AR SBR with 3 point sling and a pistol back up.....If having a firearm doesn't do any good why do politicians have armed guards?????????
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Giving up tv was the most liberating thing I have ever done.

it probably lowered your blood pressure too........well until you come on here.

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Stossel has always been pro-liberty as well a pro-gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#36]
its going to go like this

'if only i had a gun':
then theyll interview liberals saying theyd kill their coworkers, friends, family, and anyone who looked at them sideways, and therefore nobody is fit to own guns.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Looks like it'll be trotting out that kids-with-guns clip they aired way back when, something about showing kindergarten kids a video about gun safety and then leaving empty .357s in their legos.  They only showed the handful of kids playing with the guns, and left out the majority that handed them over to an adult.

And that folks is how the media manipulates people.  The real shame is that sheeple are to stupid to realize it.
The show will be bad for us, especially when 'yuppie soccer mom' imagines her yuppie kid doing the same thing
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Maybe it makes me a cold-hearted bastard, but shootings are statistically insignificant. In the US more people die from smoking every 20 minutes than do all day from guns, yet I can still go out and buy as many cigarettes as I want with no wait, and be exposed to smoke from others in public.

Why is it that we insist on legislating things that are statistically insignificant? Ban cigarettes. They kill a heck of a lot more people.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#39]
The mainstream media will never make a special about the Doctor William Petit case in Cheshire, CT; where his entire family was murdered by two serial home invaders out on parole. A gun could have saved several lives in this case.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#40]
John Stossel isn't so much pro gun as he is anti stupidity.  I would prefer that all reporters would report the facts and leave the bias out, regardless of their personal leanings.

I think that the "foaming at the mouth" anti gun message will backfire on the antis. The more they howl, the more they lose. Let 'em scream.

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

It will be Diane Sawyer doing the special. From what I've seen on the commercials for it, it will be pro gun, there were a few things said about defending yourself and such. I'm really curious to see how it will be.

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#43]
It's the first salvo in the elimination of face to face transfers.

Mark my words...
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Too bad they won't run a special about all the times someone HAD a gun and was able to put it to good use.  Oh yeah, what am I thinking, they were obviously crazed, and put that poor little felon.

If you have ever been in a spot when you desperately NEEDED a weapon, and did not have one, you are probably the only one that ought to offer an opinion, especially on TV....

Happened to me in 07 when I was on R&R from Qatar...
http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24139

Last summer, Light was put in jail twice and released on bail that totalled $400,000. His first arrest came July 16, when Light arrived at his room in the former Beta Theta Pi fraternity house at 36 Lynwood Place to find Yale Police Department officers searching his bedroom. Police issued the warrant for his arrest after Light allegedly fired a handgun into the ceiling of the common room and threatened a visitor, who later reported him to the police, after being questioned about the safety of his behavior. After telling the visitor that his gun was loaded with blanks, Light added: “Why don’t I point it at your head to find out?”

In Light’s room, police said they found an AK-47, an AR-15 assault rifle, a .50-caliber sniper rifle, a Russian M-91 infantry rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun, several pistols and 4,000 to 5,000 rounds of mixed ammunition. With the assistance of the New Haven Fire Department and the state Department of Environmental Protection, YPD officers also found a cardboard box filled with assorted liquid and dry chemicals, including flash powder and a 16 oz. jar of mercury. The box also contained cylindrical cardboard tubes, endcaps and fuses, which police determined to be bomb-making supplies.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Who are the sponsers for the show??
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I will watch this as it should be interesting at least which is more than can be said for most of the drivel out there now...
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too bad they won't run a special about all the times someone HAD a gun and was able to put it to good use. Oh yeah, what am I thinking, they were obviously crazed, and put that poor little felon.

Happened to me in 07 when I was on R&R from Qatar...

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24139

Last summer, Light was put in jail twice and released on bail that totalled $400,000. His first arrest came July 16, when Light arrived at his room in the former Beta Theta Pi fraternity house at 36 Lynwood Place to find Yale Police Department officers searching his bedroom. Police issued the warrant for his arrest after Light allegedly fired a handgun into the ceiling of the common room and threatened a visitor, who later reported him to the police, after being questioned about the safety of his behavior. After telling the visitor that his gun was loaded with blanks, Light added: “Why don’t I point it at your head to find out?”

In Light’s room, police said they found an AK-47, an AR-15 assault rifle, a .50-caliber sniper rifle, a Russian M-91 infantry rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun, several pistols and 4,000 to 5,000 rounds of mixed ammunition. With the assistance of the New Haven Fire Department and the state Department of Environmental Protection, YPD officers also found a cardboard box filled with assorted liquid and dry chemicals, including flash powder and a 16 oz. jar of mercury. The box also contained cylindrical cardboard tubes, endcaps and fuses, which police determined to be bomb-making supplies.

WTF is that?

Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#48]

All I want to hear them say is "we need a lot more CCW"..
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#49]
meh, by watching/recording this, people are only contributing to more of this trash being created.  Diane Sawyer could care less about guns, but if trashing them will boost viewership more than praising them, well, it doesn't take a business major to figure out what she's gonna do.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I will watch this as it should be interesting at least which is more than can be said for most of the drivel out there now...

Just don't have anything throwable near where you watch it. You know this will be horribly biased.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top