Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I am so sick of the entire media being anti gun.  How do they not ralize that millions of people owe life and limb to guns.  I honestly get sick every time I see a media gun piece.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Some things to do if this is a hit piece.

1. get the general managers phone number at your local ABC station.
2. Gather the names and phone numbers of local and national businesses that advertise on that station.
3. gather all of your shooting buddies together for an organized call in to the stations general manager and the advertisers.
4. Follow up with a letter writing campaign and additional organized callings.
5. Call your local politicians and express your position on gun control.

repeat on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Giving up tv was the most liberating thing I have ever done.

Now if we could just give up internet forums, and start reading and listening to music and having real discussions with our friends and family, we might actually have a chance...
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just finished watching the promo piece on the website. In it they claimed after the VTech shooting there were calls for closing the gun show loophole by legislators. It might be because I visit this site, but I remember just as many calls for allowing CCW on campus.

Holy shit how its being slanted already.

It's not because you visit this site.  It's because it's a fact - another conveniently ignored fact.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I saw an extended preview for this last night.  There was about a two second shot of two toddlers picking up pistols and looking down the barrel.  This won't go well for us.

Remember "Its for the kids"
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Saw the commercial last night and cussed at the TV.

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be watching.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The only thing I use my television for is watching DVD's and playing video games. I get all my news from Arfcom (which often has the details before the media does) and all the television shows I enjoy are off the air. Most have been off the air for years, or even decades.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 all the way. I hope Stossel is in charge of it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
If I Only Had a Brain Gun

Link Posted: 4/8/2009 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]
preview looked kind of biases
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, John Stossel is against big government, is pro gun. He would actually fit right in here.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I left a comment there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
A Memphis Talk show host said today that a recent Gallup poll revealed that 29% of the respondents were in favor of banning civilian ownership of hand guns. He further stated that it is the lowest percentage recorded in the 50 year history of the poll.

Link Posted: 4/9/2009 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Done by Stossel, I believe....while he isn't perfect, he is one of the most fair minded reporters you'll find.

He's never once said anything I've ever disagreed with (even a little), and I've been following him for years.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#18]
just watched the promo piece while catching up on Lost...

Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a Diane Saywer hit piece.  Here's a quote from the trailer;

"As the nation gets a clearer picture of two killers who have made headlines in recent days –– one near Pittsburgh, one in Binghamton, N.Y. –– some are wondering whether Americans have too much access to guns."

The anti-gun weasels are on full-kill right now, and Sawyer is a tool.

If it is Diane Sawyer then it will be bad
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#20]
so was it good or was it bad, do I boycott and call advertisers or not, I watched Southland  instead
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
so was it good or was it bad, do I boycott and call advertisers or not, I watched Southland  instead

It comes on tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#22]
From the commercial I saw last night, looks like we're gonna be pissed.

Looks like they armed a bunch of folks with paintball, or simunition guns and then had a shooter come in to their area and start firing away.  Trying to show how people attempting to defend themselves with guns would do more harm than good.....of course most of those folks had probably never held a gun up till that point, but it won't matter to the brain dead masses.

I have a bad feeling about this one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#23]
People still watch ABC News and 20/20?
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A Memphis Talk show host said today that a recent Gallup poll revealed that 29% of the respondents were in favor of banning civilian ownership of hand guns. He further stated that it is the lowest percentage recorded in the 50 year history of the poll.

Which one?  I've stopped watching any Memphis news except for the weather and the occaisional Desoto county news.

-Robert

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#26]
liberal media at it again
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:26:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Good Morning America did a promo on the show.  

Cliff Notes - 19 y/o kid whose experience and training consists of shooting airsoft in back yard flubs counter attack in simulated classroom shooting with Simunitions.  No one can understand why.  All conclude that any response other than fetal position is bad.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Good Morning America did a promo on the show.

Cliff Notes - 19 y/o kid whose experience and training consists of shooting airsoft in back yard flubs counter attack in simulated classroom shooting with Simunitions. No one can understand why. All conclude that any response other than fetal position is bad.

Lol, I saw that. They were seeming to suggest that you'd be much better off letting yourself get executed then taking the chance of defending yourself.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's a Diane Saywer hit piece.  Here's a quote from the trailer;

"As the nation gets a clearer picture of two killers who have made headlines in recent days –– one near Pittsburgh, one in Binghamton, N.Y. –– some are wondering whether Americans have too much access to guns."

The anti-gun weasels are on full-kill right now, and Sawyer is a tool.

^
This, expect it to be very anti gun.  The commercial I saw had a horrible tilt towards banning guns.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like a hit piece.

LINK

“IF I ONLY HAD A GUN,” A REPORT BY DIANE SAWYER AND DAVID MUIR, ON ABC NEWS’ “20/20,” FRIDAY, APRIL 10

When it comes to protecting yourself, you may think “if I only had a gun.” But if you had a gun, could you protect yourself in a crisis? How easy is it to obtain a gun? And what explains the nearly irresistible attraction of young people to firearms? Diane Sawyer investigates, with reporting by David Muir, on “If I Only Had a Gun,” airing on “20/20,” FRIDAY, APRIL 10 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. The hour also features hidden camera experiments and expert analysis.

There are an estimated 250-300 million guns in civilian hands in this country - almost enough to arm every man, woman and child in America. In fact, Americans are believed to own a third of all the existing firearms in the world. And that number is quickly growing: Last year there were 12 million background checks of people buying guns or getting or renewing a permit. America also has the highest rate of gun violence in the industrial world. Reports include:

Why shouldn’t we all have guns? Almost half of all handgun owners say self defense is their primary reason for owning a gun. But can they get to their gun in time when in a crisis situation? Can they aim accurately? And what is the chance they will hit someone innocent instead of their target? “20/20″ set up a hidden camera experiment to see what would happen if everyone, including those with gun training, had a gun when an armed intruder bursts through the door. Diane Sawyer reports.

How easy is it to buy a gun? In 33 states across the country, anyone can walk into one of the hundreds of gun shows held each year and buy a gun without a background check run and no questions asked. In the two years since Omar Samaha’s sister, Reema, was murdered at Virginia Tech, he has been fighting to close the gun show loophole, a step the Virginia governor and other authorities urged lawmakers to take. Has anything changed? David Muir follows Omar as he buys guns in Virginia at a gun show. How many can he procure in an hour and how many questions will he be asked?

The effect of gun violence on one neighborhood, as seen through the eyes of a child: Ten-year-old Damon Weaver is a pint-size reporter with a supersized dream: to interview President Obama about what he plans to do about the gun violence that has torn apart his town of Pahokee, Florida. In the last year, 14 people were murdered in his neighborhood. To see the devastating effects of gun violence in one community through the eyes of a child, Damon reports first-hand for “20/20,” interviewing friends who’ve lost family members, townspeople, as well as the sheriff’s office about problems and solutions. Diane Sawyer first met Weaver during the network’s Presidential Inauguration coverage in January.

What is the irresistible attraction of young people to guns? It is not uncommon to hear news reports about young people playing with their parent’s guns and accidentally shooting their friends, sometimes killing them. Statistics show that more 18-22 year olds die from accidental shootings than any other age group. Shouldn’t college aged kids know better than to play with a gun? “20/20″ puts some of these kids to the test in a provocative experiment during which they find hidden guns while cleaning out a garage. Who will tell the adult about their find, who will pack it away without a word and who will play with the gun? And does peer pressure factor into unsafe behavior? Muir reports.

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Some asshole woman (Dianne Sawyer maybe) was on Regis and Kelly Lee today, all were talking anti-gun.  

Regis DS Philbin babbled about many places having problems with "guns" as if inanimate objects could perform actions.  (A short look at who is in prison will reveal that the problem is with democrats.)

What the world needs is to ban democrats.  Do to democrats what democrats want done with guns.

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one?  I've stopped watching any Memphis news except for the weather and the occaisional Desoto county news.

-Robert

Mike Flemming on WREC 600 AM
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sounds like a hit piece.

LINK

“IF I ONLY HAD A GUN,” A REPORT BY DIANE SAWYER AND DAVID MUIR, ON ABC NEWS’ “20/20,” FRIDAY, APRIL 10

When it comes to protecting yourself, you may think “if I only had a gun.” But if you had a gun, could you protect yourself in a crisis? How easy is it to obtain a gun? And what explains the nearly irresistible attraction of young people to firearms? Diane Sawyer investigates, with reporting by David Muir, on “If I Only Had a Gun,” airing on “20/20,” FRIDAY, APRIL 10 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. The hour also features hidden camera experiments and expert analysis.

There are an estimated 250-300 million guns in civilian hands in this country - almost enough to arm every man, woman and child in America. In fact, Americans are believed to own a third of all the existing firearms in the world. And that number is quickly growing: Last year there were 12 million background checks of people buying guns or getting or renewing a permit. America also has the highest rate of gun violence in the industrial world. Reports include:

Why shouldn’t we all have guns? Almost half of all handgun owners say self defense is their primary reason for owning a gun. But can they get to their gun in time when in a crisis situation? Can they aim accurately? And what is the chance they will hit someone innocent instead of their target? “20/20″ set up a hidden camera experiment to see what would happen if everyone, including those with gun training, had a gun when an armed intruder bursts through the door. Diane Sawyer reports.

How easy is it to buy a gun? In 33 states across the country, anyone can walk into one of the hundreds of gun shows held each year and buy a gun without a background check run and no questions asked. In the two years since Omar Samaha’s sister, Reema, was murdered at Virginia Tech, he has been fighting to close the gun show loophole, a step the Virginia governor and other authorities urged lawmakers to take. Has anything changed? David Muir follows Omar as he buys guns in Virginia at a gun show. How many can he procure in an hour and how many questions will he be asked?

The effect of gun violence on one neighborhood, as seen through the eyes of a child: Ten-year-old Damon Weaver is a pint-size reporter with a supersized dream: to interview President Obama about what he plans to do about the gun violence that has torn apart his town of Pahokee, Florida. In the last year, 14 people were murdered in his neighborhood. To see the devastating effects of gun violence in one community through the eyes of a child, Damon reports first-hand for “20/20,” interviewing friends who’ve lost family members, townspeople, as well as the sheriff’s office about problems and solutions. Diane Sawyer first met Weaver during the network’s Presidential Inauguration coverage in January.

What is the irresistible attraction of young people to guns? It is not uncommon to hear news reports about young people playing with their parent’s guns and accidentally shooting their friends, sometimes killing them. Statistics show that more 18-22 year olds die from accidental shootings than any other age group. Shouldn’t college aged kids know better than to play with a gun? “20/20″ puts some of these kids to the test in a provocative experiment during which they find hidden guns while cleaning out a garage. Who will tell the adult about their find, who will pack it away without a word and who will play with the gun? And does peer pressure factor into unsafe behavior? Muir reports.

The above in red is bullshit, the Guns didn't tear apart the town, the Gang Banging Thugs or the criminals are the ones that tear apart the town
FUCK OBAMA and FUCK Diane Sawyer

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I just saw a preview for this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#35]
3 hours til the hit piece.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I just saw an excerpt of the show... Not looking good.

They gave 19(?) year old kid a few hours of training with a paint ball gun, gave him a backwards ass holster that fits by his crotch, with a ghetto-fabulous style XXXXL white T-shirt... A gunman walked into the classroom and the would-be CCW holder tried to get his gun out of his floppy crotch holster, and it got stuck on his XXXXL white shirt...
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll watch it. But if they make one hint on needing to ban guns I'm turning it off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Saw the preview too and it's going to be bad for us.  Too bad Stossel isn't doing it.  At least we would have been semi impartial.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'll watch it. But if they make one hint on needing to ban guns I'm turning it off.

I don't know if they will be ballsy enough to come out and say it, but I expect 90% of it will be talking about how guns are evil and how everyday they kill more Americans than every single war America fought in combined.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I believe the main theme of the show will be -You sheeple can not and should not try to defend your selves that is the job of the government.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to watch this in order to increase my knowledge of how anti-gun people and anti-gun media attack us. If I can keep from shooting the TV it will be productive. Unfortunately, the wife will be watching it too and she's somewhat taken in by the "logic" of the anti-gunners due to lack of knowledge (in spite of my attempts to illuminate).

*sigh*..... I'll try to keep from swearing at the liquid crystal diodes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Fun starts in 10 mins.  Something tells me I'll feel like hitting the gym while I'm watching this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I figure the gist of the program will be "You pathetic untrained citizens are not professional enough to defend yourselves and only make the situation worse".

ETA: Will someone fill me in on what the show is about please. I want to watch my blood pressure which means me not watching the show.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IT'S DIANE SAWYER NOT JOHN STOSSELL!!!

Thank you.  It's right on their webpage, hosted by DIANE SAWYER.

Shitty, I would bleed for Stossel
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh fuck, Here we go! It's the GUNS!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#46]
starting now
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Muir works for the brady campaign
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#48]
The intro already has me pissed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Lie with the 30,000 number

Lie with the freedom statement.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Brady Center
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top