Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/10/2008 6:01:41 PM EDT
Got a flat tire up front on my Acura, so I bought two new tires. I wanted them put up front; where the weight of the engine is. In addition, I wanted the new tires in front because its a front wheel vehicle and going into winter I want the traction to go to the new tires.

Tire shop said its "illegal" to put new tires in front. They transfered the old ones up to the front and put the BRAND new tires in rear –– where they do little work at all. So now I have used up tires up front and I'm not getting much benefit at all.

I was pretty pissed but they told me it was "the law" to put tires in rear only. Its no big deal, I have frame stands for the car and can swap them myself this weekend...I just find it hard to believe.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have an Acura RSX. Its a front wheel drive car.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun Shop Guy now works at a tire shop.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
its "illegal" to put new tires in front.

Thats a New one to me!  
If you were taken depends on what you paid for the tires!
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what laws are in your area, but we always put the best tires in front because they are what you would feel the most.  The drivers seat is closer to the front, and the steering wheel is connected to those tires.  We get less complaints about vibrations and such.

On the other hand, I work on real cars that have the correct wheels powering the vehicle (RWD).
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
its "illegal" to put new tires in front.

Thats a New one to me!  
If you were taken depends on what you paid for the tires!

They price matched tires for me...they actually did cut the price by like 35%. I just printed the price off the interwebs.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know what laws are in your area, but we always put the best tires in front because they are what you would feel the most.  The drivers seat is closer to the front, and the steering wheel is connected to those tires.  We get less complaints about vibrations and such.

On the other hand, I work on real cars that have the correct wheels powering the vehicle (RWD).

Oh no you didnt

Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
That's the most retarded thing i've ever heard.

Maybe you gotta pay extra for pre-ban tires?
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
lol wut?

sounds like they wanted you to pay for a rotation or something.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Call BBB and ask, that sounds like BS or a major misunderstanding on their part.

But I call
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Worked at Discount Tire for 5 years in college. I would say that is total bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half of the tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more wet and wintry traction; and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out, too. However in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.

Hydroplaning occurs when the tire cannot process enough water through its tread design to maintain effective contact with the road. In moderate to heavy rain, water can pool up in road ruts, depressions and pockets adjacent to pavement expansion joints. At higher speeds, the standing water often found in these pools challenges a tire's ability to resist hydroplaning.

Exactly when hydroplaning occurs is the result of a combination of elements including water depth, vehicle weight and speed, as well as tire size, air pressure, tread design and tread depth. A lightweight vehicle with wide, worn, underinflated tires in a heavy downpour will hydroplane at lower speeds than a heavyweight vehicle equipped with new, narrow, properly inflated tires in drizzling rain.

If the front tires have significantly less tread depth than the rear tires, the front tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the rear tires. While this will cause the vehicle to understeer (the vehicle wants to continue driving straight ahead), understeer is relatively easy to control because releasing the gas pedal will slow the vehicle and help the driver maintain control.

However, if the front tires have significantly more tread depth than the rear tires, the rear tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the fronts. This will cause the vehicle to oversteer (the vehicle will want to spin). Oversteer is far more difficult to control and in addition to the initial distress felt when the rear of the car starts sliding, quickly releasing the gas pedal in an attempt to slow down may actually make it more difficult for the driver to regain control, possibly causing a complete spinout.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no you didnt

Oh yes I did.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
so what happens if you needed 3 tires?
call the BBB on them
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
can you change them yourself?
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half of the tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more wet and wintry traction; and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out, too. However in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.

Hydroplaning occurs when the tire cannot process enough water through its tread design to maintain effective contact with the road. In moderate to heavy rain, water can pool up in road ruts, depressions and pockets adjacent to pavement expansion joints. At higher speeds, the standing water often found in these pools challenges a tire's ability to resist hydroplaning.

Exactly when hydroplaning occurs is the result of a combination of elements including water depth, vehicle weight and speed, as well as tire size, air pressure, tread design and tread depth. A lightweight vehicle with wide, worn, underinflated tires in a heavy downpour will hydroplane at lower speeds than a heavyweight vehicle equipped with new, narrow, properly inflated tires in drizzling rain.

If the front tires have significantly less tread depth than the rear tires, the front tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the rear tires. While this will cause the vehicle to understeer (the vehicle wants to continue driving straight ahead), understeer is relatively easy to control because releasing the gas pedal will slow the vehicle and help the driver maintain control.

However, if the front tires have significantly more tread depth than the rear tires, the rear tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the fronts. This will cause the vehicle to oversteer (the vehicle will want to spin). Oversteer is far more difficult to control and in addition to the initial distress felt when the rear of the car starts sliding, quickly releasing the gas pedal in an attempt to slow down may actually make it more difficult for the driver to regain control, possibly causing a complete spinout.

This is correct although "law" has nothing to do with it it is a company policy.

Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Its the law and I will enforce it, also they must charge you double to watch them work.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
so what happens if you needed 3 tires?
call the BBB on them

This.  I would be fucking pissed if someone said that to me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
A lightweight vehicle with wide, worn, underinflated tires in a heavy downpour will hydroplane at lower speeds than a heavyweight vehicle equipped with new, narrow, properly inflated tires in drizzling rain

So a car will hydroplane in a downpour sooner than in a drizzle ? No, shit

apple and oranges
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#18]
You ALWAYS put the better tires on the back, even on a front wheel drive. It's even more important in the winter when it's icy or snowy.

Don't know about the "legality" part but other then that, he is completely correct in that the new ones go on the rear due to the greater chance of a "breakaway skid" whipsawing the rear around. Understeer is far easier to control then oversteer/rear wheel skid on a slippery road.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Just had tires put on last week, I only bought 2 and was told the same thing.  Said something about the car coming around on you while taking a corner if the bald ones are in the back.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I have a full size jack and some stands. Most likely I'll do it this weekend. It will keep me from being all pissed off the rest of the winter every time I loose traction up front.

Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
The old one was only flat on the bottom... shoulda saved money and had rotate it so the flat side was up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I have a full size jack and some stands. Most likely I'll do it this weekend. It will keep me from being all pissed off the rest of the winter every time I loose traction up front.

In this instance, you are over your head, quit listening to some of the don't know jack shit car guys here.

Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Basically what they are telling you is you have a choice.

A) you can go off the road backwards by putting the new tires on the front,
or
B) you can plow straight into whatever is in front of you with the old tires on the front.
or
C) you can change the new tires back to the front and drive with an extra modicum of care––in which case they are no longe liable for your accidents.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you specially licensed to change tyres? I'm surprised they didn't warn you about this, if the feds find out that you changed them yourself instead of using a licensed professional  you could end up in fpmitap with Bubba. I can't believe you didn't know this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You ALWAYS put the better tires on the back, even on a front wheel drive. It's even more important in the winter when it's icy or snowy.

Uhhh... No... Unless it is a RWD car because that is where the tire wear will be greatest and in the winter you need traction for...  In this case a FWD car they should definitely be in the front.  Those are the wheels that are accelerating and turning. Both things you need the greatest traction for in snowy/icy conditions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't know about the "legality" part but other then that, he is completely correct in that the new ones go on the rear due to the greater chance of a "breakaway skid" whipsawing the rear around. Understeer is far easier to control then oversteer/rear wheel skid on a slippery road.

This.

We inform our 2-tire customer's the new tires should go on the rear but will put them on the front if they request it. There is a pre-printed statement on the receipt the customer signs stating we advised them of this. We do not charge extra to rotate them.

This doctrine is fairly new to the tire industry. It came about as the result of Michelin getting sued for about 5 million dollars a year or two back for a wreck determined to be caused by the worn tires in the rear breaking loose causing the car to spin out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Uhhh... No... Unless it is a RWD car because that is where the tire wear will be greatest and in the winter you need traction for...  In this case a FWD car they should definitely be in the front.  Those are the wheels that are accelerating and turning. Both things you need the greatest traction for in snowy/icy conditions.

So you are driving along and enter a curve with snow and ice and the rear end lets go because it does not have as much traction as the front. How does having more traction on the front help the average driver?
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are driving along and enter a curve with snow and ice and the rear end lets go because it does not have as much traction as the front. How does having more traction on the front help the average driver?

drifting?
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

We inform our 2-tire customer's the new tires should go on the rear but will put them on the front if they request it. There is a pre-printed statement on the receipt the customer signs stating we advised them of this. We do not charge extra to rotate them.

This doctrine is fairly new to the tire industry. It came about as the result of Michelin getting sued for about 5 million dollars a year or two back for a wreck determined to be caused by the worn tires in the rear breaking loose causing the car to spin out.

I'm not a tire expert, but this is what the tire store salesmen told us last time I bought two tires for Mrs Ceetee's TL.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#30]
REPLACING TWO TIRES? REMEMBER: NEW TIRES GO ON THE REAR

Generally, new tires provide increased resistance to hydroplaning due to their full tread depth. With new tires on the rear, an oversteer skidding condition may be more easily avoided.

Whether your vehicle is front-, rear-, or all-wheel drive, if your rear tires lose traction because of hydroplaning on a wet road, an oversteer skidding condition may result and lead to loss of control, particularly in a turn.

Additional or alternate recommendations may apply for some vehicles. Always refer to and follow the vehicle manufacturer's tire replacement and tire application recommendations; consult your vehicle owner's manual and tire information placard.

Driving your vehicle with an improper mix of tires is dangerous. Your vehicle's handling characteristics can be seriously affected. You could have an accident resulting in serious personal injury or death. Consult your vehicle owner's manual, tire information placard, and a qualified service professional for proper tire replacement.

Not illegal but recommended.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]
New tires always go on the front. They need the most tread because they do the steering. On a front wheel drive car they also pull the car through turns.

I'd much rather compensate for the rear end sliding instead of turning the wheel & still going straight - how about you?
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder, after making this swap, if the OP will have enough balls to come back and post when he wrecks his car.  I also wonder who he will blame.

rr
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is correct although "law" has nothing to do with it it is a company policy.

You don't know that.  It could be Virginia state law.  To the OP, if you really want to know if there is such a law, call around to other tire shops and ask them.  They are the guys who would know.

It makes sense to want more tread in the back.  If your rear tires hydroplane while your front ones don't, then the rear of the car is going to have more momentum than the front.  Thus the car will be forced to spin.  Keep the tires on the back.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#34]
They go on the rear.

Someone cut-and-pasted from the Tire Rack's website already, but here's the link.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

Hardly new, I learned of this at a Bridgestone tech session when they still made rally tires (so 92-ish).

Not illegal, however, in Virginia.

Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Pony up a few more bucks and get 2 more new ones, then problem solved. Just remember they will have to put the newer ones in the back.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#36]
This is why they no longer will put studded tires on just the fronts. Over steer is a bitch.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:53:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in basically the same position as you––-had a tire go flat on me on the highway (sidewall gave way gracefully after a belt slipped, according to the post-mortem).  I bought two new tires.  I had them installed on the rear.  The fronts were worn down a bit, and I didn't want to end up with oversteer or losing traction on the rear first –– especially with winter coming.

The rear tires are like the rudder on a boat––as long as they're maintaining contact with the ground, the car will go where it is pointed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

New tires go on the rear of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got a flat tire up front on my Acura, so I bought two new tires. I wanted them put up front; where the weight of the engine is. In addition, I wanted the new tires in front because its a front wheel vehicle and going into winter I want the traction to go to the new tires.

Tire shop said its "illegal" to put new tires in front. They transfered the old ones up to the front and put the BRAND new tires in rear –– where they do little work at all. So now I have used up tires up front and I'm not getting much benefit at all.

I was pretty pissed but they told me it was "the law" to put tires in rear only. Its no big deal, I have frame stands for the car and can swap them myself this weekend...I just find it hard to believe.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have an Acura RSX. Its a front wheel drive car.

So, it would be illegal for them to rotate your tires, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Braking is more the issue.  Better tires in the rear keeps the car straighter during hard/emergency braking, keeps the rear end from trying to pass the front.  

This was the rule when I sold tires years ago.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#41]
How fast can you drive in reverse?
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#42]
FWIW they tell new truck drivers that the axle with less traction will try to end up in the front when you go into a skid.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#43]
It's only illegal if they don't top off your tire fluid while they're in there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Being a driver of a rear-wheel drive car, I prefer to have an over steer condition during winter driving.

I have found that having the rear "step out" while turning is more controlable and predictable than not being able to steer or stop.

I have even been know to induce over steer just for shits and giggles.

I call it "four wheel steering."
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Being a driver of a rear-wheel drive car, I prefer to have an over steer condition during winter driving.

I have found that having the rear "step out" while turning is more controlable and predictable than not being able to steer or stop.

I have even been know to induce over steer just for shits and giggles.

I call it "four wheel steering."

Liked it so much I did it twice
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Not sure about the law part (some states are wierd), but it is the industry standard. All tire manufactures reccomend this. I own a tire store, and have been in the business 12 years, and have seen many changes. This has been one of them. feel free to im me with questions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pop quiz - what is the weight distribution of a front-wheel drive vehicle? There's your answer - new tires on the FRONT!
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pop quiz - what is the weight distribution of a front-wheel drive vehicle? There's your answer - new tires on the FRONT!

Hm.

So you're saying that you should put the tires with the least traction on the lightest portion of the vehicle?  Lemme know how that works out for you..

rr
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#49]
So, if you buy 4 new tires, they can't put any of them on the front? "You can't fix stupid" - Ron White  (The tire guy, not you.)
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#50]
it's usually standard practice to mount the newest ones in back. As far as "the law" goes, it's a tactic to get you to stop bugging them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top