Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2!! w00t!!

BTW - you should find another tire shop.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You ALWAYS put the better tires on the back, even on a front wheel drive. It's even more important in the winter when it's icy or snowy.

Uhhh... No... Unless it is a RWD car because that is where the tire wear will be greatest and in the winter you need traction for...  In this case a FWD car they should definitely be in the front.  Those are the wheels that are accelerating and turning. Both things you need the greatest traction for in snowy/icy conditions.

Uhhhhh, F'ing YES.  NEW TIRES GO ON THE REAR.  ANYONE WHO SAYS THIS IS NOT TRUE, IS TALKING ABOUT SHIT THEY DO NOT KNOW.  PERIOD.

And your tire shop is right to put them on the rear.  Illegal....No clue, but it's the right thing to do when your too cheap to buy 4 matching tires.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
bullshit

i worked in Tire shop for a year

my sister's in-laws all own and operate tire shops (6 stores)

new tires always go on the front if you aren't buying a set of 4

always unless the customer insists otherwise
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]

The one time that I have slid a front wheel drive car off the road was when I was going around a curve and the back end slid around. Putting them in front sounds logical but I think the back is the best from my experience.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You should have drove around the parking lot once then pulled back into the bay telling them to now rotate your used rear tires to the front.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
bullshit

Well, they do it wrong.  Unless they know more than GOODYEAR.

FAQ's go to the bottom of the page.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Care.html

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and F-me....

Michelin must be wrong too.  I guess I'll listen to GD folks who guess.  Or some guys sister-in law.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/replacement-questions/#install-tires
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
bullshit

always on the front

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Neat, I learned something new today, at OP's expense.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gun Shop Guy now works at a tire shop.

+1  
Go back to the dude and tell him he's full of shit and to move them to the front.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about anyone else ,But I'll take the rear end coming around anyday VS the front going straight when I turn the wheel.
BTW  haven't you heard of steering with the throttle!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1  
Go back to the dude and tell him he's full of shit and to move them to the front.

Yeah, and ask for free tires and a reach-around too.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Just buy 2 new tires for the front, problem solved.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhhh... No... Unless it is a RWD car because that is where the tire wear will be greatest and in the winter you need traction for...  In this case a FWD car they should definitely be in the front.  Those are the wheels that are accelerating and turning. Both things you need the greatest traction for in snowy/icy conditions.

So you are driving along and enter a curve with snow and ice and the rear end lets go because it does not have as much traction as the front. How does having more traction on the front help the average driver?

It helps reduce hydroplaning while driving in a straight line since the fronts break a path for the rears.

I don't have snow or ice around here, so I'd put new ones on the front. I don't mind oversteer on a curve because I can always see a curve coming and slow to the proper speed...I can't always slow for a sudden puddle when driving straight, especially at night.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bullshit

always on the front

So Goodyear and Michelin are wrong and your SIL is right?  Alrighty then.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#16]
If a tire store told me that they HAD to put tires on a specific end of the vehicle when they're
the same size and type all around, I'd take my business elsewhere.

You put them where I tell you to.  No arguments.

But I'm pretty good about rotating and balancing on schedule so my tires wear evenly
and I always buy a set at a time.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bullshit

always on the front

always on the front and it is my sister's in laws who run the businesses

michelin is one of the sorriest over-rated tires on the market

I will go on experience and training versus something written by a team of project managers and lawyers

YMMV

never shoot reloads in any of your handguns either according to most owner's manuals and also never load it up till you are ready to fire it

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm very glad some of the new tires/front end guys live far away from me.

It is FAR easier to control and feel front end breakaway as compared to a rear wheel snap skid. Since the front end has quite a bit more weight on it, traction is usually better, letting up on the acc pedal some transfers weight back to the front and since it's heavier, it does not rotate as quickly. Once breakaway in the rear occurs, the heavier front end is the the axis of rotation and the lighter rear will rotate far more readily and once you break about 30-35 degrees, you are screwed unless you are a damn good driver and there really isn't many of those on the road.

I'd sort of like to know the age of the responders and how much real winter driving they have done.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bullshit

always on the front

I will go on experience and training versus something written by a team of project managers and lawyers

YMMV

never shoot reloads in any of your handguns either according to most owner's manuals and also never load it up till you are ready to fire it

And GOODYEAR is wrong too????  

Good luck and drive safe buddy...
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pony up a few more bucks and get 2 more new ones, then problem solved. Just remember they will have to put the newer ones in the back.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bullshit

always on the front

YMMV

ditto

I been driving safe for about 28 years now

how much tire work have you done

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got a flat tire up front on my Acura, so I bought two new tires. I wanted them put up front; where the weight of the engine is. In addition, I wanted the new tires in front because its a front wheel vehicle and going into winter I want the traction to go to the new tires.

Tire shop said its "illegal" to put new tires in front. They transfered the old ones up to the front and put the BRAND new tires in rear –– where they do little work at all. So now I have used up tires up front and I'm not getting much benefit at all.

I was pretty pissed but they told me it was "the law" to put tires in rear only. Its no big deal, I have frame stands for the car and can swap them myself this weekend...I just find it hard to believe.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have an Acura RSX. Its a front wheel drive car.

You purchased 2 new tires and requested they be mounted in the front and they told you it was illegal and they mounted them in the back?  

You asked if anyone has any thoughts..here is mine;
If you are that naive, you don't deserve to drive.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#23]
The most I'd do is suggest the new skins be mounted on the rear axle.

If the customer said "I want them on the front" well, it's his car. I've said my "professional" opinion already.

If you don't like your new baloneyskins on the back, then bust out the jack and 4 way and put them how you want.

I don't recomend it, but, it is your car.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
bullshit

always on the front

YMMV

ditto

I been driving safe for about 28 years now

how much tire work have you done

143 and 1/2 years worth.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So you are driving along and enter a curve with snow and ice and the rear end lets go because it does not have as much traction as the front. How does having more traction on the front help the average driver?

ALL of these scenerios ASSume that the driver lacks the intelligence and skill which would dictate  him/her to slow the fuck down so that they are not driving too fast for conditions in the first place.....

I prefer to be able to drive up hills and through deep snow and ice.....    New tires in the front for teh win.....  
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#26]
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/replacement-questions/

There is a 2.5 minute video at the bottom....it's called "Mounting Two Tires".

Am I a tire expert?  No.  Do I buy Michelin tires? No. Illegal to put on front? Hell no.

I have driven RWD vehicles since I started driving (1988 Toyota p/u, 1989 Supa, 1991 Supra Turbo, and now a 1989 Toyota 4x4) and I have owned many FWD vehicles (1990 Honda Accord, 1988 Ford Taurus, 1991 VW Corrado, 1988 Honda Prelude, 1997 VW Jetta).  I have a fair understanding of how to recover from a rear slide....I did it a lot on purpose in the Supra's and the 4x4 truck.

Letting off the gas in most instances (over or under-steer, FWD/RWD/AWD) will help you recover.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You ALWAYS put the better tires on the back, even on a front wheel drive. It's even more important in the winter when it's icy or snowy.

Don't know about the "legality" part but other then that, he is completely correct in that the new ones go on the rear due to the greater chance of a "breakaway skid" whipsawing the rear around. Understeer is far easier to control then oversteer/rear wheel skid on a slippery road.

+1 This is why.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ALL of these scenerios ASSume that the driver lacks the intelligence and skill which would dictate  him/her to slow the fuck down so that they are not driving too fast for conditions in the first place.....

I prefer to be able to drive up hills and through deep snow and ice.....    New tires in the front for teh win.....  

The folks who think the front is the best place for new tires obviously didn't pay attention in High School Physics.  Further, its extremely likely that these same people were arguing that the plane WOULDN'T fly.

rr
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The folks who think the front is the best place for new tires obviously didn't pay attention in High School Physics.  Further, its extremely likely that these same people were arguing that the plane WOULDN'T fly.

This college educated folk is willing to compromise on hydroplaning resistance to gain slow speed traction in the winter.....

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is correct although "law" has nothing to do with it it is a company policy.

You don't know that.  It could be Virginia state law.  To the OP, if you really want to know if there is such a law, call around to other tire shops and ask them.  They are the guys who would know.

It makes sense to want more tread in the back.  If your rear tires hydroplane while your front ones don't, then the rear of the car is going to have more momentum than the front.  Thus the car will be forced to spin.  Keep the tires on the back.

So after being a registered member here for almost 9 years, what prompted you to make your very first post in this thread?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Had you already passed your federal background check and been fingerprinted you would have been allowed to install the new tires on the front of your vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

However, if the front tires have significantly more tread depth than the rear tires, the rear tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the fronts. This will cause the vehicle to oversteer (the vehicle will want to spin). Oversteer is far more difficult to control and in addition to the initial distress felt when the rear of the car starts sliding, quickly releasing the gas pedal in an attempt to slow down may actually make it more difficult for the driver to regain control, possibly causing a complete spinout.

Only drivers who don't know what they're doing are afraid of oversteer.  

At least I can correct for oversteer.  With understeer all you can do is stick your thumb up your ass and hope you slow down enough to be able to turn again before you go off the road.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#34]
ZOMG what about cars with staggered sized wheels and tires!!!!!!  Oh noes!!!!  I can't put the new tires on the rear cause they don't fit!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#35]
No choice here rear and front not interchangeable. I can not be taken by a gun-tire shop technician.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#36]
My local tire place (Les Schwab) no longer sells two tires if you have a four wheel drive (or AWD) vehicle. Why? Lawsuits.

They also will no longer put new tires on the front of a 2WD car. Why? Lawsuits.

While lawsuits and the results are not "the law" (part of the Revised Code of Washington), they are "the law" in the same way criminal prosecutions (and the results) become "the law". A company that sees a successful lawsuit for "activity a" would be in material breach of fiduciary duties if they allowed "activity a" to continue within that companies stores.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]
i guess i am the only one with correct answer...the new tires should be placed on the driver's side!  
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Va. Inspection Regs.

Sounds like BS to me, I'd have put them on the front.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got a flat tire up front on my Acura, so I bought two new tires. I wanted them put up front; where the weight of the engine is. In addition, I wanted the new tires in front because its a front wheel vehicle and going into winter I want the traction to go to the new tires.

Tire shop said its "illegal" to put new tires in front. They transfered the old ones up to the front and put the BRAND new tires in rear –– where they do little work at all. So now I have used up tires up front and I'm not getting much benefit at all.

I was pretty pissed but they told me it was "the law" to put tires in rear only. Its no big deal, I have frame stands for the car and can swap them myself this weekend...I just find it hard to believe.

Call the VA DOT and get an answer.......then call the home office of the tire shop if it is a chain, ask them, then tell them what the DOT said if different.

If it is a one location shop, don't go back, and report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Go some where else and get them rotated.

If the old ones are slick - completely worn out - they are unsafe on the rear and can easily cause hydroplaning to occur.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
it's usually standard practice to mount the newest ones in back.

Agreed, if it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle.

Otherwise, newer tires go on front.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#41]
NVMD.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Was it the salesperson or the tire tech that told you this. Depending on your State laws, but sounds like they noticed that you do not rotate your tires. If the rear tires have the leagl amount of tread, then the reason why they put the new ones on the rear is in hope that you shred the front tires( old rears) and come back for the other two tires within a few months time. I have seen this type of sales tactics, as an outside rep for a tire distributor.

It may not be the case. Maybe they are blowing smoke up your ass. I would swap em out in the driveway, then make sure you rotate every 5K on small light vehicle tires. Bigger tires especially mud or offroad tires every 3.5K or more depending on how aggressive the tread is.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is correct although "law" has nothing to do with it it is a company policy.

You don't know that.  It could be Virginia state law.  To the OP, if you really want to know if there is such a law, call around to other tire shops and ask them.  They are the guys who would know.

It makes sense to want more tread in the back.  If your rear tires hydroplane while your front ones don't, then the rear of the car is going to have more momentum than the front.  Thus the car will be forced to spin.  Keep the tires on the back.

So after being a registered member here for almost 9 years, what prompted you to make your very first post in this thread?

catfish
Post Number :: 1
CO, USA

Too late! He went back into his bunker until 2016.

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
it's usually standard practice to mount the newest ones in back. As far as "the law" goes, it's a tactic to get you to stop bugging them.

not the tire shops I go to.  It is safer to put the newest ones on front because that is the last place you want a blow out
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

not the tire shops I go to.  It is safer to put the newest ones on front because that is the last place you want a blow out

What would convince you guys you are wrong?

Putting old tires on the front and new tires on the rear is a recipe for a crash.  

Those of you doing it the wrong way, I wish you the best of luck, seriously.  I hope you don't hurt anyone else.

rr
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Take this for what is worth. I'm a factory trainded and certified tech, ASE's, two year technical degree, etc....+ I've worked at several shops in my time....

I have NEVER heard anything like what you claim. Illeagal to put the new on the front?

In my experience and what I was taught is that you want your best tread on your steer tires. If thats also your drive's; all the better.

btw, whats the tread depth on the two you didn't replace?  4/32nds of an inch is the "legal" required depth for a steer tire. Is it possible your under that, and thats why they have issue?

{EDIT} I posted this before I read all the other posts.  Allthough I stand by mine, I will admitt I've "heard" it go the other way.  As far as what I personally would believe from a "tire shop" is not much. Nor would I believe you can have the same standard for a front wheel drive as a rear wheel drive.  

AND, with all these statistics/rules/recomendations, why is it that the LAW requires 2/32nds" REAR and 4/32nds" front?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Don't know about the "legality" part but other then that, he is completely correct in that the new ones go on the rear due to the greater chance of a "breakaway skid" whipsawing the rear around. Understeer is far easier to control then oversteer/rear wheel skid on a slippery road.

I also heard this from someone who does a radio show about auto maintnance. Pat Goss is his name, he also has a weekly column (Goss Garage) in the washington post.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Who ever told you that is a world class, I'm talking Harry Reid, Obama, Barney Frank class liar.  You really owe him an ass whipping for depriving you and your family of a bit of safety!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#49]
just to stir the pot even further. now taking into consideration that 70% or more of a vehicles braking power is in the front brakes. i prefer the better tread up front with the majority of my braking power.

Baz

Link Posted: 11/11/2008 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also heard this from someone who does a radio show about auto maintnance. Pat Goss is his name, he also has a weekly column (Goss Garage) in the washington post.

Your the kind of guy that believes religiously in a 3,000 mile oil change too I'm sure....

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top