Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/2/2008 12:05:57 AM EDT
I'm slightly inhebriated.

A buddy of mine who lives about 1/4 mile down the street let me follow him home from the club even though I've had too much to be driving.  I was driving within the lines, plenty safe, but with enough alcohol in my system to be legally DUI.

Well,  I'm almost to my house, doing 60 in a 40 (dumb), and a county sheriff pulls me over and walks to the window of my car..

Him:  "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me:  "Because I was driving too fast?" (about that time, dispatch informs him that I've had 3 tickets in the last 12 months and I heard her give him my address)
Him:  "You were driving WAY too fast... and you like to drive fast, huh?"
Me:  "Honestly, sir, yes... I like driving fast"
Him:  "How much have you had to drink?"
Me:  "I'm not gonna lie... I've had enough to be considered DUI... but I'm following my friend and I'm less than a quarter mile from my house."
Him:  "Can you make it home without running someone over?"
Me:  "Yes sir... absolutely.  As you know, I'm almost there already."
Him:  "Ok... this time it's on me... but next time it's on you."
Me:  "I understand.  Thank you , sir..."

Yes, I know I'm stupid for driving... but the circumstances suggested I'd be ok driving home...  I was following a friend and it was open interstate all the way home.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

A buddy of mine who lives about 1/4 mile down the street let me follow him home from the club even though I've had too much to be driving.  I was driving within the lines, plenty safe, but with enough alcohol in my system to be legally DUI.

Well,  I'm almost to my house, doing 60 in a 40 (dumb), and a county sheriff pulls me over and walks to the window of my car..

Me:  "Because I was driving too fast?" (about that time, dispatch informs him that I've had 3 tickets in the last 12 months and I heard her give him my address)
Me:  "I'm not gonna lie... I've had enough to be considered DUI... but I'm following my friend and I'm less than a quarter mile from my house."

Yes, I know I'm stupid for driving... but the circumstances suggested I'd be ok driving home...  I was following a friend and it was open interstate all the way home.  

Quoted for the record.  This is going to get ugly.  Glad you didn't get a DUI or kill somebody.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I think we are all glad he didn't kill someone...

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted for the record.  This is going to get ugly.  Glad you didn't get a DUI or kill somebody.

I wouldn't have killed anybody.  If I can still type out a grammatically correct post, I'm not drunk enough to kill someone...

I was drunk enough to get a DUI, but not drunk enough to cause an accident.  There's a HUGE difference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad you got home okay, and without hurting anybody

I walked a good 1 or 2 miles today going from a buddy's work to a bar, and then back... Nothing wrong with walking, good excersize
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I think you should have gone to jail.  My wife and kids could have been driving down that road.
But I'm sure that consideration won't slow you down or keep you from doing this again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#6]

I was following a friend and it was open interstate all the way home.

I'm SOOO happy for you!  Because drunk drivers have NEVER had a head on collision on an open interstate only a quarter mile from home...

Dude, you fucked up.  Might be time to re-evaluate your priorities and current driving habits.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was following a friend and it was open interstate all the way home.

I'm SOOO happy for you!  Because drunk drivers have NEVER had a head on collision on an open interstate only a quarter mile from home...

Dude, you fucked up.  Might be time to re-evaluate your priorities and current driving habits.

Believe me... I loathe people who drive drunk and kill folks.

I was at that fine line where the law considers you DUI, but in reality, you can make it home just fine without a problem.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I hear ya. I think the 0.08 think is pretty weak.  When the limit was 0.10 the problem was that to many people were still driving with 0.30 BAC.  Dropping the limit did nothing but make more people criminals.  But you are just getting the 'up late' crowd.  Wait a few hours till the 'up early' crowd is online.  They are going to beat you up for being honest about your transgression.  Repent now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm really glad I'm over here serving my country so assholes like you have the freedom to go out and have a good time. And then say...

Quoted:

I wouldn't have killed anybody.  If I can still type out a grammatically correct post, I'm not drunk enough to kill someone...

I was drunk enough to get a DUI, but not drunk enough to cause an accident.  There's a HUGE difference.

Because typing is almost the same as driving a car! Sure!!

If you make a grammatical error you don't kill anyone you FUCKTARD!
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#10]
If there is any chance of me driving for the remainder of the day, I don't drink. No beer. No hard alcohol. Not a single shot. Nothing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#12]
There are one too many words in your title; guess which one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll give you credit for being honest, but I disagree with you being lucky. The lucky ones were those on the road around you
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm suprised that he let you continue after admitting that you were most likely "over the limit". The days of extending that kind of courtesy have been over for a while. You are very lucky.

No need to lecture you, though. There will be plenty of that to come
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought the drinking while shooting a private land thread was a mess. This is going to take that to a whole new level.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, to make all the rationizations you did, you are plenty drunk to kill someone.

You know you've been drinking, yet you are driving 20 over.

How does following someone else keep you from crashing?

A lot of the people that kill/die in drunk driving crashes in WI are people without prior DUI's that are .08 or just a little over.

If you were only going 1/4 mile, what in God's name kept you from calling a cab? walking? getting a lift from your buddy?

That's right your huge case of stupidity.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Aviator
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:46:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#22]
bro. i think i can speak for the rest of the public safety bretherin on here when i say this. We have scrapped enough bodies of the highway. How many times have you think we have heard the famous " i only had a few". next time, if a friend is going to drive ahead of you, ride with him.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Your judgement is seriously lacking.  

1.  You got lucky this time, but don't make the mistake of assuming the police are your friend.   What you just experianced is called "Negative Learning"  Be careful not to draw the wrong conclusions.

2.  You have been here long enough to know that Arcom is not your friend when you admit to drunk driving.  Hell, people here will tear you a new ass just for driving without a seatbelt, or refueling the car with the engine running.  

3. You got to 60 in a 40 within 1/4 mile of the bar.  WTF- Is your last name Kalitta?

tagged for the carnage.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#24]
do you know how many times Ive heard that line of BS, while doing a trauma resuscitation on the person they just hit or killed. You screwed up and got lucky that is all, go sit in an ER on a Saturday night and watch what all the sober(drunk) people have done while being safe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can easily make the argument that if you had enough alcohol in your system to be legally drunk and still drive 60 in a 40 zone you were certainly at a considerably higher risk of causing an crash !  I also don't see how two cars (trucks,motorcycles , whatever) following each other is less risky than one person driving by himself .
At any rate-glad you didn't cause a crash
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I hate drunk drivers. Grow up dude, please.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#28]
You were speeding AND driving drunk?

Don't do that. Just don't do it anymore. Seriously. I was almost killed by a guy who thought he was sober enough to drive home, still feeling the affects of it 5 years later.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I guess that God you don't believe in hooked you up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#30]
So, just to get this straight: You are stopped for driving too fast. It is unveiled that you are indeed intoxicated. You admit to both being intoxicated and speeding. You have some history of traffic offenses.

And you find that you are a perfectly responsible individual who has done nothing wrong?

What the fuck is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people just don't understand the difference. I haven't read any posts past this, but I feel sorry for you already because of the ass-reaming you are going to get.
And, yes, I have a buzz.

ETA-    "Cypher's plowing service. Call 1-800-GET-PLOWED."
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I can't believe the cop let you off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Thank you very much for not killing my family, myself, or any other person. You were probably a hell of a lot more drunk than your post suggests or you would not have posted it.

The leo didn't do what he was paid to do; which is to take people like you to jail.

Coc prevents further comment.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Good on the Deputy for exercising some judgment rather than just acting as an arrest-bot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:55:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Speaking as someone WHO HAS A DUI CONVICTION ON HIS RECORD:
It will do you a bit of good to get one, too. Saying you are "lucky" because you didn't go to jail? Gimme a fucking break. You are lucky you didn't hurt anyone.
Trying to rationalize your behavior with the short distance is full of fail, as well.
And last I checked, its a bit easier to operate a keyboard versus a FUCKING CAR!
Plus, there is a backspace on the keyboard to erase your fuckups. Can't do that with a car...

I never thought too much about driving home after a few cocktails.
"Nah, I'm OK."
"I'm only a couple miles from home, fuck it."
Then I got arrested, charged, and convicted. It was an eye opening experience.
I was lucky. I didn't hurt anyone.
Judging by your dim witted responses to folks here, you probably need one.

Pull your fucking head out of your ass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Good on the Deputy for exercising some judgment rather than just acting as an arrest-bot.

How can you possibly say this? Correction sir, HIS lack of judgment was BAD! The leo was wrong. The OP is bragging about it and feels lucky. We all do or have done stupid shit, but damn. The cop should have taken the guy to jail.

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you possibly say this?

Because alcohol effects different people in different ways.  The blood-alcohol limits are too strict in most cases, often the result of MADD extremists lobbying state legislatures.  The Deputy was there, evaluated the situation, and used his judgment.  Note also that the OP made it home OK.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 2:20:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The last time I was home... several months ago, I was driving down the interstate with my wife and kids. I wasn't speeding (70mph). There was a semi-truck stopped on the shoulder of the road on the far side of the oncoming lane. We were about 200m from him when he decided to do a spur of the moment u-turn with no warning. That forced two SUV's to dive across the median and come head on with me and and the car to my right. The car to my right hit the brakes and swerved right. I hit the gas (to get in front of him) so I could swerve right. The oncoming suburban passed me feet to my left and a trailblazer passed me feet to my right. The car to my right passed the trailblazer in the grass no more than a few feet outside of him. It was very close for all four vehicles.
I don't care if you weren't drunk enough to cause an accident. Were you sober enough to avoid one? If any of the 4 drivers had been drinking I seriously doubt that all of us would have avoided a head-on collision.

There IS a huge difference!

Just something to think about...
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 2:24:09 AM EDT
[#39]
This will probably only encourage you to do it again.  You WILL get caught eventually.  I hope no one gets injured or killed in the process.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To me this is the bigger problem.
Have I ever driven drunk in the past? Yep, I sure have. Did it several times back in my 20s or so. Never had an accident, never got caught. But when I got married, I got my head out of my ass haven't done anything as stupid as that for 25 years or so.
I hear what you are saying about being "legally" drunk, but not really drunk. Fair enough, not going to argue with you about that. I agree that in some cases blood alcohol limits may be overkill low, but it is impossible for you to judge whether or not you are drunk enough to kill.
The bigger problem that I see is, you dodged one SERIOUS FREAKING bullet, and did not learn a damn thing. That cop gave you a break, but you learned nothing.
You weren't drunk enough to kill someone, and with that attitude you will keep doing it until you are drunk enough to kill someone. Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 2:32:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because alcohol effects different people in different ways.  The blood-alcohol limits are too strict in most cases, often the result of MADD extremists lobbying state legislatures.  The Deputy was there, evaluated the situation, and used his judgment.  Note also that the OP made it home OK.

I understand where you are coming from. He did indeed make it home without hurting or killing anyone. At least this time. I have seen too many people leave bars, clubs, etc drive home after having only (a few drinks).

I used to work with a guy who had a red MADD ribbon on his vehicle antenna. He would hit one of the local bars after work to "down a few". The reason for the MADD ribbon was so that the police would leave him alone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 2:45:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe, but look at it this way. The cop pulled him over for speeding, 60 in a 40. Calls it in and finds out he's had three other violations within the past year, and then on top of it the driver admits he qualifies for a DUI. Does that really sound like warning material?
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe, but look at it this way. The cop pulled him over for speeding, 60 in a 40. Calls it in and finds out he's had three other violations within the past year, and then on top of it the driver admits he qualifies for a DUI. Does that really sound like warning material?

It really seems like complaint against officer time.

He should be arrested for theft next time he cashes his check.

In all but the major cities, more people die from DUI related car crashes than from criminal homicides.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:05:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I thought the drinking while shooting a private land thread was a mess. This is going to take that to a whole new level.

missed this one, gotta link?
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:19:05 AM EDT
[#45]
BOO HOO< all you Sally's.

NONE of you can tell me that any of you have NEVER driven slightly impaired or at least DRUNK.

Must be nice to be perfect.

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

NONE of you can tell me that any of you have NEVER driven slightly impaired or at least DRUNK.

I haven't, and it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:22:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I've never driven drunk or even with any alcohol in my system. Sensible men just don't do that sort of thing. And Christ, I'm not even a very sensible chap and still I don't!

What the hell is up with all these drunk-driving defendants?
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd have taken you to jail.

That cop deserves a kick in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:31:28 AM EDT
[#50]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

haven

Yeah, right!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top