Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2007 6:26:37 PM EDT
No let up in attacks by Iranian backed groups: commander

2 hours, 36 minutes ago

Iranian-backed Shiite extremist groups operating in Baghdad's Sadr City show no sign of easing up attacks on US forces despite an overall decline in violence, a US commander said Monday.

Colonel Don Farris, a battalion commander with the 82nd Airborne Division, said more Iranian-made armor piercing bombs were used in attacks in his sector of northeastern Baghdad in October than in any previous month.

US military officials in Baghdad earlier this month reported an overall decline in attacks involving so-called EFPs, or explosively formed penetrators, and that Iran appeared to have slowed the flow of the weapons into Iraq.

Farris, however, said he had seen no sign of a pull back by Iranian-backed "special groups" even though a cease-fire called by radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr was generally holding.

"I can speak for my sector," he said. "And in my sector the assessment is we have not seen any slowing down or any indicators that these special groups are going to curtail their activities or quit receiving this support that's coming from outside the country."

Speaking to reporters here via video link from Iraq, Farris said nine EFPs were used in attacks in October, surpassing the previous peak of seven in April and May.

He said the Iranian-backed groups operate from within Sadr City, a predominantly Shiite area that falls within Farris' sector but where the US military has had a limited presence.

"So, while the violence is down, I remain very concerned in our sector about these special groups," he said.

"They're very lethal. They're organized. They're sophisticated. And I have not seen that their operations have declined or diminished in any way, shape or form here in the last several months," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071127/wl_mideast_afp/usiraqiranmilitary
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They need to seal off Sadr city and raze it.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They need to actually declare war, seal off Sadr city Tehran and raze it.....

Fixed that...
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sadr City is a fucked up place to operate in.  I did so for all of 2005.  It was no secret back then who was backing who.  The fucking IPs would tell you it was the Iranians that were helping the militias.

I wish I had a solution.  They aren't going to raze it.  Its a 10 by 8 mile rectangle with 2.4 million people living in it.  90% of those people are not our enemies.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump...
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]
But the leftist media says iran is our friend.  Maybe they meant that iran is THEIR friend.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
But the media says that Iran deserves credit for the reduction of attacks in Iraq!

Surely the media would never attempt to deceive us, we must open our minds to the self-proclaimed experts on the talking picture box and all will become clear!

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#7]
OST  for later.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But the media says that Iran deserves credit for the reduction of attacks in Iraq!

Surely the media would never attempt to deceive us, we must open our minds to the self-proclaimed experts on the talking picture box and all will become clear!

which is why you rarely hear anything about Task Force 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top