Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2007 7:52:34 AM EDT
Ok, I was going to wait until I finished with the site but all of the threads posted lately on Ebay's stance have prompted me to let the cat out of the bag, so here goes.

In response to Ebay's anti 2nd policies and to hopefully capitalize on their loss of business, I've put money into a new auction site for the shooting hobby - www.shootershaven.com. The site is not up yet, so you'll get a page saying its under construction. I'll have it up by the end of the week. I'm still working out the pricing schemes, but for the month of August, I'm going to allow free auctions to get things started. The auction software can handle credit cards and I'm working on getting them to put in BidPay and GearPay, PayPal has been turned off but I can add it if people want it. It has some very nice auction layout, search, and feedback capabilities and can provide storefronts for those that want it (a future add-on, but if there's a big demand I'll go ahead and buy it and have it ready). This is the real deal, I've bought the domain, installed the software and am currently configuring it to get it ready for prime time. I will, however, be willing to accept suggestions from those that would be interested in shaping an auction site for our hobby via email at [email protected]. Or add to this thread. The start with, we won't be listing actual weapons, but plan to soon once I make sure all the ducks are in a row. However, everything else is welcome - parts, ammunition, reloading supplies, etc.

I'll update this thread as I get closer to fully releasing the site, hopefully by the end of the week.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you e-bay user ladiesman217 wik wiki?

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
And you'll be better than GunBroker or GunsAmerica why?
Just asking...
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Well actually no, although I think I recognize the reference. I just made a domain search for the name, not for anyones Internet alter ego . I just checked on the site though, and it looks like I left it up from the last time I was working on it. I'll leave it up for a while to give everyone a peak and to have a chance to put out some suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In response to Ebay's anti 2nd policies and to hopefully capitalize on their loss of business, I've put money into a new auction site for the shooting hobby - www.shootershaven.com.

Uh, have you not heard of gunbroker, gunsamerica, or auctionarms? Besides, I don't think e-bay will be hurting that much from it's stance on the 2nd...
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Will you be accepting ads for post-81 DIAS and Lightning Links?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Gunbroker and GunsAmerica are both great sites, but with Ebay having so much business it showed me that theres still some market share out there. Both GB and GA seem to cater to gun dealers and professionals where as I'm wanting to cater more to the everyday joe. I've also done alot of browsing on GB and GA, and the overall task of finding things was more difficult than Ebay's vast number of categories - which I'm going to mimic. I'm also sticking my neck out somewhat by showing this early and asking the community what it would like to see. I also plan to provide some pretty attractive auction pricing plans.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I am director of risk for BidPay we allow payments for GunBroker. we are new so still building the interface with other sites but we are definitely 2nd amendment friendly.

If you use us ping me and I'll make sure you don't have to deal with customer service phone waiting. Ours is pretty short anyhow but I'll make sure you get styled out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am director of risk
thus your sig line...
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Shootershaven.com sounds like a Mark Wahlberg fetish site

Never heard of penisland.com or expertsexchange.com?

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Great, another aution site
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#11]
What if I'm a shooter, but not shaven?  Would I still be able to use the site?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#12]
We are an equal opportunity follicle web site.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like a great idea to me, Good luck on your venture.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And you'll be better than GunBroker or GunsAmerica why?

They suck and have a crappy interface.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#15]
A 'I wish you the best of luck, and to see how things progesss' tag.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the encouragement, and again, I'll be willing to take suggestions from those interested in helping mold the site. I'm leaving it pretty much out of the box for now, but will be updating and changing it over the next few months. Also, if there are any vendors looking for advertising, I'd like to speak with you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah good luck.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#18]
You should think about trolling Ebay for sellers who are going to be looking for a new home and letting them know you exist.

Probably have to do it soon too.

Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#19]
If you can find a way to keep the gold digger off I will use your site.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Say what?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Say what?

You know the people that will list a run of the mill 10/22 or Mosin 1944 for $600.  Time and time again.  Makes it bullshit to search through all that shit.  A small listing fee like ebay will keep most of those people away.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 1:47:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Got it - thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Good luck, I hope all works out for you.

notatag
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 2:57:40 AM EDT
[#24]
good luck in your venture.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I too was wondering what sherrick13 was meaning, thanks for clearing that up. I was originally not going to charge a initial listing fee, but after pointing that out it makes pretty good sense. I'll take a look at it. I've been testing out the software and getting it setup, it looks like it may be missing a couple of small conveniences that ebay has, so I may delay launching until I can get those installed or built. I'm still commited to have this up and running before ebay kicks everybody out though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#26]
can't wait for a link...
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#27]
shavenshooter.com?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#28]

IMHO

Gunsamerica is a pain in the ass to navigate.

AuctionArms doesn't have much besides dealer auctions or individuals with gunshow prices.

Gunbroker is not bad.

Good luck on your endeavor.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#29]
ost
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top