Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 3:56:28 PM EDT
Bayonet is about 20 inches long.  One side above the handle and below the cutting blade is:

US

The other side:

S-A
(a symbol that looks like a ring with fire coming out of it)

A friend of mine has been hanging on to this forever, now he want to try and identify it and possibly sell it.
Any help would be great

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, let's try a few educated guesses -

It's a Springfield Armory bayonet model 1920 for either an M1903A3 or M1917 rifle?

The "symbol that looks like a ring with fire coming out of it" is actually the "flaming bomb" of the US Army Ordnance Division.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Steel_Rat for that fast reply and info.  Any idea on value if there is any, any one interested?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
help please
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, Dirk - I knew what Springfield Armory and the flaming bomb are, but that pretty much maxes me out on old bayonets.  What's it worth?  I dunno - $20?  It seems to me they're pretty common.

Maybe someone else can help him out?  Or try poking around [url]http://www.oldguns.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
It is for the M1903 Springfield. My source shows no new bayo's for the M1917 Enfield were made after 1919.

Therefor it should have the latch button underneath the grip just behind the guard. The Enfield had the button on the left side at the back of the grip.

If in very good condition, though I have seen plenty that weren't, it should sell for $100 or more. Have it professionally appraised before selling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top