BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's not hunting, That's Spawn Camping.

BTW, I just got back from a javelina HUNT, you know, where you have to go out and find the animal, sneak up on it, and hope to get a shot. Sometimes you don't, but it's what makes it exciting when you do.

Canned hunts, feeder hunts, ranch hunts, I just don't see the challenge, everyone takes home meat every year, and the only suffering they do is if the battery on their seat warmer dies.

What if you were in a wheelchair?

I have a buddy that has physical problems that make real hunting not an option. He goes on lots of these kind of hunts in both Texas and CA. For him, it's all he can do. Still, it's not hunting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's not hunting, That's Spawn Camping.

BTW, I just got back from a javelina HUNT, you know, where you have to go out and find the animal, sneak up on it, and hope to get a shot. Sometimes you don't, but it's what makes it exciting when you do.

Canned hunts, feeder hunts, ranch hunts, I just don't see the challenge, everyone takes home meat every year, and the only suffering they do is if the battery on their seat warmer dies.

What if you were in a wheelchair?

Sorry to say, but if you are in a wheelchair,  I guess that hunting isn't in your future.
Damn, what about blind people who want to hunt? Or people with no arms?

Sorry to sound uncaring, but there has to be a point at which one realizes that they just cannot participate in something that thye enjoy. YOu can't do everything forever.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been javelina hunting ...with primitive archery equipment spot and stalk style.  

Dumb animals...5 yard shots are the norm if the wind is right.  

Next time, I'm taking a 12" inch Arkansas Toothpick.  

To hunt jav's with a gun is nothing more than just shooting.

Oh wait...I don't care what you hunt with or how you hunt, and I respectfully suggest that hunters quit comdeming other hunters for their preferred methods or equipment.  

Stand together, fall alone...that kind of thing.

Oh...and here in Michigan, legally blind hunters can hunt with a laser and a spotter.  And a few of them even shoot deer.  No accidents to report.  

Carry on.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh wait...I don't care what you hunt with or how you hunt, and I respectfully suggest that hunters quit comdeming other hunters for their preferred methods or equipment.

As long as they call it what it is. It's not hunting, it's harvesting, or as I said before "Spawn Camping"
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Sure...as soon as you tell me where I can buy a Harvesting License.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You can scoff all you want at people that hunt over feeders, but if you are a simple 'stalking type' hunter, you are going to spend many days with no success.

And thus something to be proud of when you get one. The more often I get skunked, the sweeter it is when I finally score.

What is there to be proud of when you go plant you ass on a heated cushion in a stand and drink coffee till the animal shows up? You know he will be there cuz he's been there for the free food now for weeks before the day of the shoot.

Kill the pig, enjoy the meat, be happy you live in a state that let's you do it and the oportunity is there, but being proud of the kill and bragging would be like me going out to the rabbit hutch, grabbing a rabbit and chopping his head off, and then posting pictures of the rabbit I got this morning.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Gee thats nice....

Nevermind,  

I saw where he was posting from.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In these types of threads, you can always tell the hunters from the guys who have never shot an animal.

Like other posters have said, you can completely destroy the heart of an animal (or a human, for that matter) and it will still live long enough to twitch around and scream and in some cases run away.  The only way to get an instant death is to shoot for the head which typically is not a good idea since you can miss the animal's brain and REALLY cause them to suffer.

I have shot a deer between the eyes and it still laid on the ground and twitched for about 15 seconds.  It was just a nervous reaction since that deer had no brain left and the bullet exited her head and destroyed an inch long section of her spine with the second entry (shot was fired at a downward angle).

Animals are tougher than humans because they don't have logic telling them "I'm going to die so I guess I'll just lay down and give up".  Animals will run unbelievable distances after receiving extremely fatal wounds.

Get out in the woods and kill a few things before coming here and preaching about shot placement and unethical hunting.

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bunch of pussy hunters. Have to bait because they are too fucking lazy to hunt like real men. Fuck those assholes.
I'd like to take their guns and bust them over their fucking heads.

Pussies.

Sorry to say, but if you are in a wheelchair, I guess that hunting isn't in your future.

Sorry to sound uncaring, but there has to be a point at which one realizes that they just cannot participate in something that thye enjoy. YOu can't do everything forever.

Aside from the fact that you sound like a complete ass, how do you know if he was even "hunting" pigs, might of been nuisance control.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Pig are tough SOB! It's not news either... Saw a vid at a gun show of a pair of stalkers after a wild pig with a 45-70. Guy hit it with a good heart lung shot and the thing went 90 yards, after getting up from the impact!

We all know the same is true with people. Wasn't there a link not long ago to a story of a sniper with a Barret hitting a guy twice and he still got up? If you want the quarry down in one quick shot it's a CNS shot you need.

BUT, I do have to wonder, is the ammo the person in the vid was using so expensive he couldn't put the pig out of its misery?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I understand your point, but, for most hunters the time, resources, planning, reconnaisance, tracking, studying, research ad nauseum are not within thier means.

I don't like stand hunting, but I have used bait for hogs and deer.

If my time is limited, and the others hunters cannot spend a week stalking, then it is time to consider other ways to increase the odds of success.

TRG

I understand the time thing. I was lucky this year and was going to be able to hunt the full javalina season, but my brother just started a new job and so we got stuck only having this past saturday and sunday. We went home without filling our tags w/ rat-pig, but we got a got a great story about the hunt, and high hopes for next year. We just started hunting big game again 3 years ago after a 10 year break were we just hunted dove and quail.

Here's the story C&P'd from a local hunting forum I posted it on, maybe you will enjoy it.

Oh, BTW, I decided to use my new RECCE build this year just to use it against something other than paper, and I thought the Accupoint would make a good scope for the fast shooting that can happen with javalina, but I really wanted to try it on some longer shots.

Saturday we had no luck, and from the times we left our radios on SCAN so we could hear what others were saying (33 was over run with hunters this year), and the few people we bumped into and talked to, nobody else was having any luck either. So we decided to go back to the area we hunted last year cuz we had seen a lot of sign there, and the terrain was a little better.

Sunday morning we had coyotes working for us as an alarm clock, since a few of them were having some kind of tussle just on the edge of our camp. We got up and had a quick cup of coffee and off we went. We walked out onto a small finger at the top of a deep wash and were talking about maybe setting up there and glassing the wash when suddenly my brother saw a small herd top the ridge on the other side of the wash. We watched them a few minutes while they moved into a patch of prickly pear and started eating. Not being a good judge of distance, and having left my rangefinder in camp, we decided that instead of trying for a shot across the wash we would move around a try to sneak up on them. The wind would be right in our face, and it was perfect for what we wanted to do.

When we got to a point that we figured was about 200 yards from were we saw them, we dropped our packs and started our stalk. Soon we saw them about 80 yards away and slowly moving away from us, they didn't seem startled, they just had some place they were going. All I saw were quick glimpses of moving pig butt and I didn't feel I could get a good shot, but my brother said he had one. I asked him to wait till I could move into a shot also, and right then the pigs seemed to pick up the pace. I don't think they heard or smelt us since they didn't just bolt, but they did start moving faster. I counted 6 adults and 2 younger pigs.

So we decided to go back to our packs and wait a bit to see if they would pick a spot to start feeding again and we could get a shot.

After about 20 minutes we started back along the ridge looking for them. When we got to the place we had last seen them we stopped and started quietly talking about where we should go from there when suddenly my brother said "Did you hear that?" so I listed, and I heard a muffled "UFF" and just then saw a large dark shape spin just on the other side of a patch of prickly pear ABOUT 10 YARDS BEHIND US.

I know everyone who has been through something like this can attest that when a situation explodes, it's amazing at how many thoughts go through your mind, how many things happen, and how it all just slows down like a dream.

My brother could clearly see the pig, so he raised his rifle, and just then the pig took off like a rocket through the brush. So my brother quickly crouched down and put his J-13 to his mouth and started trying to call him back into view.

Suddenly from our right the bushes exploded and this pig came rushing straight at my brother. He broke brush at about 10 yards away. He got to about 5 yards away, saw my brother and all of his hair stood up like a porcupine. I raised my rifle as he turn to run, but my 1.2 - 4x scope was on 4x and all I could see was a big bunch of tan, I don't know if it was pig butt or dirt, so I didn't fire and he ran off into the brush.

just then I heard another "UFF!" off to my right and through the brush I could just make out a big grey shape. He made a short charge at me, but never cleared the brush. Then he turned and ran down into the wash.

We stood there for a second completely shocked by what had just happened in the matter of a few seconds. Looking in the bushes we found where they had been bedded down. We had walked right into the middle of them without knowing it.

So in the end, no tags filled (we went and ate lunch hoping they would calm down, then looked for them again with no luck), but for the first time in 3 years we spotted and stalked the critter we were chasing, and the picture of that pig charging my brother then puffing up and running still cracks me up. It was a good time.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got to wonder.  If feeders were available 250 years ago (which I'm not sure they weren't) do you think our forefathers would have given a rat's ass whether or not some other guy thought it was real hunting?  I say no, because it means fuck all if you don't bring home the meat.

That said, I like to play ninja too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

there are pleanty of hunters in California.

But not many spellers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bunch of pussy hunters. Have to bait because they are too fucking lazy to hunt like real men. Fuck those assholes.

Pussies.

Sorry to say, but if you are in a wheelchair, I guess that hunting isn't in your future.

Aside from the fact that you sound like a complete ass, how do you know if he was even "hunting" pigs, might of been nuisance control.

Need a whambulance? THe post was showing a video, and of course, it was IMPLIED FROM THE SCENE that it was from a hunt.

Did you get your feelings hurt because I stated my opinion? If so, you might want to conside a different downtime activity than surfing the net...

As for the issue about people with disabilities, once again.... WHAAA! I'm a 40% disabled vet, And live with pain all the time.  I don't get to shoot as much as a I used to because of it. Am I happy about it? No...But I don't get all bitchy because I can't do certain things anymore. It's all part of life.

Eta: I'm not an ass, but I am an asshole to some... so what? It's not like I need to have everyone like me. So get bent....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Something that alot of people forget is that Population Mangement is essential. Without Population Mangement we would be overrun with deer and feral hogs. Once the population gets out of control you have animals dying a long slow painful death from starvation and disease.

Central Texas has one of the largest, if not the largest deer population in the world.
In Central Texas we need Population Mangement to be as successful as possible due to the deer being overpopulated. The most successful way to Manage the Population is with feeders. Thyat is why it is legal here in Texas.

I prefer to stalk but will occassionally Spawn Camp over a feeder. "Dine & Die"

I fixed it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#21]
They used a feeder

Good job they did too.....
Could be those pigs been tearing up a farmer's fields.
Javlina are fun too.
They have some HUGE pigs in CA. Out around Vandenburg.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pussies.

Come on to Texas.....I know a few thousand hunters you could try that on.

That's nice..... Guess that you need to try and bait me too...

If you are going to hunt, and least HUNT. Christ, that isn't hunting, that is sitting on your ass waiting for the pigs to show up, 'cuz you are too damn lazy to get off your fat ass and move.

Baiting is a practice that should be illegal.

You're right, that's not hunting. It's called processing. First step killing... Second step cutting... Third step packaging... Last step freezing... Food for weeks.

I hate making assumptions... but you eat meat, right?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Pig are tough SOB! It's not news either... Saw a vid at a gun show of a pair of stalkers after a wild pig with a 45-70. Guy hit it with a good heart lung shot and the thing went 90 yards, after getting up from the impact!

We all know the same is true with people. Wasn't there a link not long ago to a story of a sniper with a Barret hitting a guy twice and he still got up? If you want the quarry down in one quick shot it's a CNS shot you need.

BUT, I do have to wonder, is the ammo the person in the vid was using so expensive he couldn't put the pig out of its misery?

Yup... hogs are tough sons 'o bitches... Most people who hunt them for the first time are amazed to see them get up and walk off after two or three solid hits. The fact that these two went down and stayed down shows just how good these shots where!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Good job they did too.....
Could be those pigs been tearing up a farmer's fields.
Javlina are fun too.
They have some HUGE pigs in CA. Out around Vandenburg.

Damn straight!

If a person has never seen what a roving pack of hogs can do, think of a football-sized field being completely rooted up and turned over in one night. That's what hogs do - everynight. They move from one place to the next completely tearing up the land.

In Texas, there is no bag limit on hogs. A hunter can take as many as he or she wants by any legal means as long as he or she has a hunting license and is on permitted land. (And dead hogs don't care if they were killed over a feeder or not)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gee thats nice....

Oh, you're from California, I should explain. In the other 49 states, people enjoy hunting animals, and some of them even eat their prey.

I hope you don't think your pork chops died of natural causes.

There's a a BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE between hunting animals, and torturing animals and letting them suffer. Its obvious they wanted them to suffer on video, both of them, as they didn't follow up with a kill shot.

Fucking dicks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gee thats nice....

Oh, you're from California, I should explain. In the other 49 states, people enjoy hunting animals, and some of them even eat their prey.

I hope you don't think your pork chops died of natural causes.

There's a a BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE between hunting animals, and torturing animals and letting them suffer. Its obvious they wanted them to suffer on video, both of them, as they didn't follow up with a kill shot.

Fucking dicks.

Oh aren't you the smart one... You've obviously never hunted hogs. You don't go walking around when a pack of them is nearby (at least not only armed with a bolt action). They charge. And the big ones have tusks strong enough to chew through 4x4 fence posts. I would have waited a bit too for the others to wander off before collecting my food.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Pussies.

We keep food out for the deer almost year round. We plant clover, soybeans and peas mostly. We also keep feeders going with corn about six months out of the year. It isn't about drawing the deer in that much, it is about giving them good things to eat so they can grow up to be big and strong. Then we shoot them I hunt trails away from the plots about half the time, but tell me a better lure for a nice buck than a doe sitting around munching on corn during the rut. I don't hunt over food bait, I hunt over the smelly doe that likes corn, that's what the bucks want  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The first pig was still kickin' after the second one was shot.  There was an obvious splice in the footage so it's hard to tell the lapse.  I'm pro-hunting all the way, but I hate seeing an animal suffer.

I'm with you Tras. In my opinion that was just plain sick. If you are unable to take a clean shot
then you should wait until a better one arises. I don't care how much of a nuisance those animals
were, but they shouldn't have suffered like that. Then to glorify the kill for everyone to see, well that was just wrong. If your that poor of a shot, maybe it's time to do a little more practicing at the range........

I am thinking those shots were intentionally placed to cause them to suffer like this.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I grew up on a hog farm. My brother got 20 stiches from a glancing swipe from a hog tusk.

I had to put one down that was injured. I shot it in the Brain Housing Group with a .30-30 at muzzle contact range. That sow took longer to die than that pig. Hogs are incredibly tough.

Animals don't drop like in the movies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Maybe the hunter didn't shoot again because he figured the pig wouldn't have taken so long to die.

Or maybe because he was making a video...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Matter of fact it is the ultimate shot, and this hunter did it twice, on camera, within a few seconds/minutes of each other.

He/she had a hell of a hunt and should be proud.

ETA /she

Look again-- video was spliced-- 2nd shot wasn't right away-- we don't know for sure how long it took.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Pussies.

agreed-- they had to bait cus they were filming and wanted good video...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn, I've never seen such a load of pussy-whining in my life.

Any of you cock-gobblers hunt?  Every shot ANYTHING that was actually alive?  

Stop watching so many movies and go actually hunt and kill something.  Anything.  (any mammal or bird actually).  

You homos will see that they don't just calmly lay down and close their eyes, happy to go off into a peaceful "sleep."  

Death is painful, and violent, no matter how it comes.  

Both hogs do down and stop thrashing and fighting pretty quick.  Both were dead before they hit the ground.  

I've seen elk take a heart shot and run 500 yards into the thickest, nastiest shit imaginable before they finally died.  

Go hunt or shut up.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The first pig was still kickin' after the second one was shot.  There was an obvious splice in the footage so it's hard to tell the lapse.  I'm pro-hunting all the way, but I hate seeing an animal suffer.

I'm with you Tras. In my opinion that was just plain sick. If you are unable to take a clean shot
then you should wait until a better one arises. I don't care how much of a nuisance those animals
were, but they shouldn't have suffered like that. Then to glorify the kill for everyone to see, well that was just wrong. If your that poor of a shot, maybe it's time to do a little more practicing at the range........

I am thinking those shots were intentionally placed to cause them to suffer like this.

It is all relative I guess. That was very humane to me. Many of my friends are still into running deer and hogs with hunting dogs, I haven't done it in years, it was a blast growing up doing it though. You have trail dogs and then once they are wounded or cornered they send in the catch dogs. It is very rough at times for the dogs and the hogs. Seen many of both torn to shreads. The dogs love it though, you'll never see a dog happier than when it is trailing something or catching another animal, it is almost like they were born to do it or something
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Please tell me you are trolling. There is no way you know anything about hunting and believe that.

That is the second dumbest thing I have ever read on ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pussies.

Either way-- its cruelty. And the comments regarding the meat being ruined for a follow-up kill shot, wouldn't apply either...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I agree, they were intentionally placed for a one shot drop on the spot kill. PERFECT
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Oh aren't you the smart one... You've obviously never hunted hogs. You don't go walking around when a pack of them is nearby (at least not only armed with a bolt action). They charge. And the big ones have tusks strong enough to chew through 4x4 fence posts. I would have waited a bit too for the others to wander off before collecting my food.

And how the fuck does that prevent them from following up with a kill shot, oh smart one?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, they were intentionally placed for a one shot drop on the spot kill. PERFECT

I agree... perfectly placed intentional kill shots. (Great ones to anyone who has actaully tried placing those types of shots )
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#45]
He should have shot it again. At least I would have. I'm not too big on letting an animal woller around and slowly die.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Damn, I've never seen such a load of pussy-whining in my life.

Any of you cock-gobblers hunt?  Every shot ANYTHING that was actually alive?  

Stop watching so many movies and go actually hunt and kill something.  Anything.  (any mammal or bird actually).  

You homos will see that they don't just calmly lay down and close their eyes, happy to go off into a peaceful "sleep."  

Death is painful, and violent, no matter how it comes.  

Both hogs do down and stop thrashing and fighting pretty quick.  Both were dead before they hit the ground.  

I've seen elk take a heart shot and run 500 yards into the thickest, nastiest shit imaginable before they finally died.  

Go hunt or shut up.  

I've been hunting for the last 28 years, there wasn't anything in that video to get upset about. I've seen deer running with their stomachs and intestines dragging on the ground, shot a doe that had it's lower jaw shot off by someone else because it was starving to death, helped sew up hunting dogs that were split wide open, cut a few wounded deer throats to save a bullet, not to mention varmint hunting for fun and control reasons. If this video upsets some people they ain't seen much. Sounds like a damn PETA convention around here sometimes.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how the fuck does that prevent them from following up with a kill shot, oh smart one?

What the hell is the point of killing something if you cannot eat it becuase you took five shots from a stand and completely hambered the meat? (since you obviously don't hunt - any follow-up kill shots would be from about 5 yards at the most - usually closer with a side arm).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Perfect shots, both.  So a heart/lung shot that drops them in their tracks is not a humane shot?  Are you supposed to keep blasting until the last quiver has stopped?  Total elapsed time from shot to final breath was a few seconds.... Sombody has been watching too many Bambi movies.... Get out and hunt sumthin'.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is up with this "kill shot" you keep talking about? It was obvious he shot it in the lungs so it was down for the count.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top