Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2005 2:47:33 AM EDT
Well, last night was a fun one.  One guy we had on the Unit floor was a real winner.  I realize I am at risk of offending someone, but here goes.

1 - Backwoods hillbilly sort with little in the way of I.Q. (see below)

2 - 450 pounds and about 5'7"

3 - Heavy smoker (see below)

4 - Was on Oxygen (kept a tank with him at all times)

5 - Decided he couldn't handle waiting for his Oxygen between smoking, so he decides to LIGHT UP while he still had his nasal canula in his nostrils.

End result?  The dumbass has a nice little FIRE start on his face and in his lungs.

Oy vey.

Life is hard - it's even harder when you are STUPID.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
WOW!!!

I can't wait to breath so I will risk blowing up an oxygen tank.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I recall one of my first experiences as a student tech.  I go out to get this lady for a chest x-ray.  She had emphysema.  She was only 50 years old but looked 70.  She was on oxygen.  She looks up at me and says in a raspy, gravelly voice, "Do I have time to go outside and have a cigarrette?"

Simply amazing.  And of course, she was on the dole and we ended up paying for her medical care.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Only 3 and 4 were necessary for the story.

"Backwoods Hillbilly" being used is a bigoted term, especially with "little in the way of IQ."  
Did you give the guy an IQ test in the ER?  Or, in your mind, are ALL "hillbillies" from the "backwoods" by 'definition '  "low IQ".   Hmmm?

If it wasn't necessary to the story, your using it speaks VOLUMES about you, more than it does about the patient.

His weight and height matter HOW?

BTW, there was a DOA Navy pilot that crashed into a city by making the same mistake.  That kind of blows your theory about intelligence.

I suggest you have a little more respect for patients, IF you have the emotional maturity.

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

"Backwoods Hillbilly" being used is a bigoted term, especially with "little in the way of IQ."  
Did you give the guy an IQ test in the ER?  Or, in your mind, are ALL "hillbillies" from the "backwoods" by 'definition '  "low IQ".   Hmmm?

If it wasn't necessary to the story, your using it speaks VOLUMES about you, more than it does about the patient.

BTW, there was a DOA Navy pilot that crashed into a city by making the same mistake.  That kind of blows your theory about intelligence.

I suggest you have a little more respect for patients, IF you have the emotional maturity.

Guess I was right about my post getting someone's panties in a wad.  And in less than 10 posts - woot!

Seriously, guys, some of you are WAY too easily offended.  Call me an arrogant, elitist prick, but when you drawl in such a way as to be unintelligible, are WAY too overweight from gorging yourself at the all-you-can-shovel buffet, and do stupid things like smoke while on Oxygen therapy, then I think you open yourself up to at least some derision and scorn.

Used to be that this sort of vetting would help keep others from making the same mistakes, but now people get their mangina all in a tizzy and start screaming about "emtional maturity."

And why should I "respect" a patient like this?  He's done NOTHING to earn it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:09:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Or, in your mind, are ALL "hillbillies" from the "backwoods" by 'definition '  "low IQ".   Hmmm?

Yes

If a Navy pilot was on Oxygen and trying to SMOKE at the same time, then he WAS a fucking moron.

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or, in your mind, are ALL "hillbillies" from the "backwoods" by 'definition '  "low IQ".   Hmmm?

Yes

If a Navy pilot was on Oxygen and trying to SMOKE at the same time, then he WAS a fucking moron.

Do you think he was, "with little in the way of I.Q ", to use your own words?

Some day when you're busy with your "inflate-my-ego" pumping, a patient's going to suffer as a result.

It would be ironic if you someday flatline an some off-the-path ER where they can't attract really "good" talent because their community isn't "desirable" to medical people who have the same stereotypical ideas as you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:29:58 AM EDT
[#8]
To the pit before the second page. I love Morning Shift!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#9]
#5 proves your point without the need to mention #1.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
To the pit before the second page. I love Morning Shift!  

Isn't it grand?
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:36:18 AM EDT
[#11]
And so begins another Battle Royal on the short bus.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:38:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

Do you think he was, "with little in the way of I.Q ", to use your own words?

Might need to ellucidate a little more - are you referring to the patient, or the Navy Pilot who you still haven't explained (was he smoking in the cockpit?)

Some day when you're busy with your "inflate-my-ego" pumping, a patient's going to suffer as a result.

How so?  Regardless of my thoughts on certain patients, I am a consumate professional who gives the same level of care to everyone, regardless of their condition, IQ, race, sex, or disability.  Can you HONESTLY tell me that you are without bias, prejudice, or ego?  If so, can I call you "Jesus" and have you absolve me of all my sins?

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, last night was a fun one.  One guy we had on the Unit floor was a real winner.  I realize I am at risk of offending someone, but here goes.

1 - Backwoods hillbilly sort with little in the way of I.Q. (see below)

2 - 450 pounds and about 5'7"

3 - Heavy smoker (see below)

4 - Was on Oxygen (kept a tank with him at all times)

5 - Decided he couldn't handle waiting for his Oxygen between smoking, so he decides to LIGHT UP while he still had his nasal canula in his nostrils.

End result?  The dumbass has a nice little FIRE start on his face and in his lungs.

Oy vey.

Life is hard - it's even harder when you are STUPID.

GreyWolf, you told that event perfectly.     What problem was he originally in for?
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Damn man, chill out!
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:00:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I say that all details were completely relevant, to show the kind of person who lacks common sense so severely as to let their body fall into that state.  All parties involved in this thread need to remove their panties from their ass and carry on.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:02:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

GreyWolf, you told that event perfectly.     What problem was he originally in for?

Trying to smoke while on oxygen therapy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think he painted a nice little word picture for us.

What's the basis for this hypersensitivity? Are you self-conscious when you visit the ER with your self-induced medical problems and no insurance?
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:07:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What's the basis for this hypersensitivity? Are you self-conscious when you visit the ER with your self-induced medical problems and no insurance?

I think Greywolf2112 turned down prk's advances. prk is ragging GW2112 in another thread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:22:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

You know, it's funny, but I have been told that this was a real issue with B-52 crew and U2 pilots on oil burner runs where they were just enjoying the scenery at high altitudes.  No kidding.  A nice old U2 pilot told me that a few pilots had the Lockheed (I think he said Lockheed) people install a small ashtray for them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

You know, it's funny, but I have been told that this was a real issue with B-52 crew and U2 pilots on oil burner runs where they were just enjoying the scenery at high altitudes.  No kidding.  A nice old U2 pilot told me that a few pilots had the Lockheed (I think he said Lockheed) people install a small ashtray for them.

B-52s and KC-135s had ashtrays as standard equipment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#23]
note to self

smoking and oxygen together is a no no
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I think Greywolf told it perfectly...
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I must be insensative, because I enjoyed the picture GreyWolf2112 painted.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Did you give the guy an IQ test in the ER? Or, in your mind, are ALL "hillbillies" from the "backwoods" by 'definition ' "low IQ". Hmmm?

BTW, there was a DOA Navy pilot that crashed into a city by making the same mistake. That kind of blows your theory about intelligence.

Dude! It was just a goofy story. Lay off a bit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Me Too!!! I guess I am an "insensative prick"!!!

It makes my life easier.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#28]
In my mind Greywolf said it perfectly I had a clear mental image of the guy due to nuber 1 and number 2. Also, like Greywolf said if this guy couldnt figure out that smoking while on Oxygen, he is a number 1. Perfect story for the Darwin Awards.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Luckily he's showing some signs of improvement, though whether that means he'll try it again in the future or perhaps learn his lesson, only time will tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top