Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2005 10:50:34 AM EDT
Security will be provided by a church - medical services are back in full swing in the area.  Thanks much to all of you who had great ideas and to those of you who wanted to help!

I am working for a company that is contracted to do blue tarp installations in middle/north Mississippi.  We have had some attrition recently due to folks getting tired of waiting for orders to go.  We need crewpersons and crew foremen - maybe some supervisors too.  You will need to be in Mississippi a minimum of eight weeks straight working seven days a week, twelve hours a day.  We might work for much longer and perhaps in other states.  You are welcome to stay with us, or leave after the eight week period.

No expenses are paid.  You are covered by workman's comp from FEMA.  You will need to have the funds and gear to sustain yourself in a campsite/motorhome environment for two weeks with no income.  After two weeks, pay is weekly.  Pay is $.025 per sq ft for crewmen, $.03 per sq ft for foremen, and a little better for supervisors.  Supervisors are promoted from within and chosen by the owner of the  company.  After a learning curve of a few days, crews will be required to lay a minimum of 10,000 sq ft of tarp a day.  A very average crew will be able to lay 12,000 sq ft a day, with a good crew laying 15,000 sq ft without difficulty.  

We will caravan from Dallas (Big Town parking lot - FYI, North Texas crew!) together when we get the call to go.  Contracts are in place, it's a sure thing, but the timeframe is unknown.  Could be tomorrow, could be ten days from now.

If you are interested, an application, I9, and W4 will be faxed to you today.  We need holes in our crews filled asap.  A construction background would be nice, but by no means a prerequisite.

Crewmen will need work boots, white hard hat, tool belt, claw hammer, knife and blades.  foremen will need the same plus 16' and 24' ladders.  Trailer, generator, and other tools would be a plus.

We are using Paslode cordless 30 deg framing nailers - $379 @ Home Depot.  Fuel is $12 per two pack - your crew will use an average of one two pack a day.  Crewmwn are expected to chip in $100 to the foreman for the cost of the guns, supervisors chip in $150 - at least that's how I'm running my group of crews.

Send an email to [email protected] if you are interested.

FYI:

unskilled, crappy crew - 10,000 sq ft per day average - $250 a day for crewmen - $300 a day for foremen.

average crew - 12,000 sq ft per day average - $300 a day for crewmen - $360 a day for foremen

good crew - 15,000 sq ft per day average - $375 a day for crewman - $450 a day for foremen

As for carrying...

Quite a few people have asked about CCW in camp and at the job site.  If your state has a reciprocity agreement with Miss, and you have a CHL, then it's no problem.

I joined the company soon after the National Guard started confiscating weapons in NO.  They made sure that the homeowners in those intact neighborhoods in NO that were safe up until that point had dead pets and were defenseless.  "Leave your pets and give us your guns - we're here to help". YIPPEE!!!

Within the first two minutes of meeting the owner, I politely mentioned that if we weren't allowed to carry (Texas and Miss have reciprocity) that I would probably not even consider going.  Not a problem at all - just don't brandish.  No advertising at all.  Common sense conservatism. :)

The owner of the company doesn't want any brandishing, but he has no problem at all with law abiding citizens, including his employees, carrying.  Perfect common sense.  Just like our state law.

CCW is fine if you can do it legally!

www.packing.org/state/mississippi

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#1]
free bump - awesome opportunity for someone here.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#2]
bump.....where is that guy who just became homeless? Does'nt he need a job? Great opportunity to get back on his feet!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#3]
His condition prevents him from working if i remember correctly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Where are the folks from cmjohnson's thread?
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=383700
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
His condition prevents him from working if i remember correctly.

Yeah he's got medical issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have to be from Texas to get in on this opportunity? I could leave on short notice and meet all qualifications. Can get the specialty tools on a moments notice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
NO NO NO

You do not have to be from Texas or even a US citizen.  You DO have to be able to legally work in this country - they do check.

There are numerous other workers that are not from the DFW area and will not be in the caravan to Miss.  They will be meeting us at/near the job site.

Thank you for asking and clearing that up, Gun-fan.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#8]
FYI - I'm not making any money recruiting - just trying to find some good workers and getting the word out to some arfcommers who might need work.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]
What are 'blue tarp installations'?

Do I have to pay to stay in this 'campsite/motorhome environment'? Am I supposed to bring 2 weeks of food?

If I get there will there be transportation or do I have to bring a vehicle?

Do I need a gun?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:38:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do I need can I bring a gun?

Fixed it for ya.  

Tate, see my IM.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It sounds like you climb up a ladder and staple/nail blue tarps to roofs of houses whose tiles/shingles were blown off in the storm.

That doesn't sound like rocket science and I applaud your effort so why bring people in from out of state to do that when you could recruit locals in MISS to help get them back on their feet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I would love to do that but i don't have the money to get started.  Airfare, tools, living, etc.  If everything was paid i would go tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah, its really the Corps of Engineers Blue Tarp program...at least it was called that when I worked with Fema (yuck) last year in Florida after the hurricanes.  Its basically to get peoples houses thru the rainy times by climbing on their roofs and tacking the blue tarp on it.

From the air it was a sea of blue in many neighborhoods last year. I am sure it will be the same and tons of work for you guys that can go.

Good money, lots of climbing and being in the hot sun for probably 10-12 hours a day for two weeks.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
From the air it was a sea of blue in many neighborhoods last year.

I live in North Central FL and flew into Orlando a few months ago.  You can still see the blue tarps on a lot roofs.  People are complaining that they can't find roofing companies to do the work.  Many are just lazy, uninsured bastards that never applied for FEMA relief and the deadline for applying has passed.

You guys in TX may want to think about staying put as it looks like there is going to be a lot of work next week for that sort of thing in you own backyards.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all there in TX.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Re-reading this post thread again, the job opportunities are in Middle and Northern MS.

I lived in Middle MS (jackson area ) from 1991 to 1998 and its a great area and so is northern MS. Many cities are predominantly black but there are lots of good folks there.  I still have friends inthe area and in talking with them, its a lot of wind damage to roofs, not really flooding. To me it seems like good honest work (basically being a roofer with blue tarps instead of shingles).  I wouldn't mind doing this but would have to take vacation to do so.  On the answer about a gun...I would just bring whatever normal self defense weapon you tote. Not like you are going to NO where the looters are...but there are criminals of all varieties everywhere you go.

To answer someones question, the govt. will have NO guarantee you get paid by the company you are working for. Just as any other contracting situation, the govt. pays the cotnractor and  the contractor pays you.  

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sounds like you climb up a ladder and staple/nail blue tarps to roofs of houses whose tiles/shingles were blown off in the storm.

That doesn't sound like rocket science and I applaud your effort so why bring people in from out of state to do that when you could recruit locals in MISS to help get them back on their feet.

We will recruit from locals when we get there.

As for "back on their feet" - if they are truly hurting - I mean as in no cash or vehicle, ect, they couldn't do the job at the beginning anyway unless they happened to have the equipment to do the job and could support themselves totally for two weeks with no help from the outside at all - no pay - no gas money - no food - nothing.  And you have to leave your family behind (unless you happen to live very near the campsite).  Not really a job for a fresh disaster victim.  Things will be easier (I hope) after a few weeks of having the camp established and getting into the swing of the work.

Hope I answered your questions.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#18]
If I stay in a motorhome at a campground, would I have to drive the camper to and fro?
It would suck getting on with a crew that struggles all 12 hrs to hang the 10,000 sf.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If I stay in a motorhome at a campground, would I have to drive the camper to and fro?  

It would suck getting on with a crew that struggles all 12 hrs to hang the 10,000 sf.  

1. Only if you're the guy that everyone hates and can't get a ride!  Folks bringing motorhomes are either catching rides to the job sites or towing another vehicle behind the motorhome.

2. They won't do it for very long - that's for damned sure!  Supervisors (myself included) will be finding out what the issue is and correcting it asap - chop-chop!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Found out that we might be going to South Texas too.

If we get enough folks (15), my boss said he would just form an additional group.  That would be really cool - an all ARFCOM group!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Tarp  Tag

GM
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Tarp  Tag

GM

Outstanding!

note: You guys that contacted me and were interested need to giddyup and send me a fax# - I've only got three so far and my boss  said there is a deadline of sorts for him to process paperwork on people.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I would love to do that but i don't have the money to get started.  Airfare, tools, living, etc.  If everything was paid i would go tomorrow.

Fuck dude!  Get a friggin credit card and cash advance it.  You're talking about making about $10,000 a month.  You'll be able to pay off and flush the card with your first 2 week check.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, why can't hurricanes hit my state?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck it: I'm in.

Questions: can I bring my pop-up camper or tent, or what?  And I'm not going if I can't carry.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Definitely interested.
Just a couple of questions.
You mentioned a campground, do you have one lined up already, or is it a matter of finding one, once we're there?
Either way, do you have a rough idea of the cost?
Will there be someplace nearby to take a shower, wash clothes, etc.? I'll either be in a tent or sleeping in the car, at least for the first two weeks.
Have you worked for this outfit long enough to trust them to pay accurately and on time?
These were the first questions my wife asked, so I have to ask also.
I'll probably come up with my own questions later, like how many people are you needing? I might be able to con a couple of locals into going along.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck dude!  Get a friggin credit card and cash advance it.  You're talking about making about $10,000 a month.  You'll be able to pay off and flush the card with your first 2 week check.

**A few people have done exactly that, BE.**

I have ~ $3,000 in CC debt tied into this deal from tool purchases so my crews can work faster and from configuring my truck for max dependability/function.

I will make my money back in 1.5 days of work - will actually get the cash on the first payday, two weeks into the project.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Fuck it: I'm in.

Questions: can I bring my pop-up camper or tent, or what?  And I'm not going if I can't carry.

Tent, pop-up, mobile home - whatever.  I heard that a few will crash in their trucks until the first payday, then buy tents.  No shit.

As for carrying...

Quite a few people have asked about CCW in camp and at the job site.  If your state has a reciprocity agreement with Miss, and you have a CHL,  then it's no problem.  I joined the company soon after the National Guard started confiscating weapons in NO.  They made sure that the homeowners in those intact neighborhoods in NO that were safe up until that point had dead pets and were defenseless.  "Leave your pets and give us your guns - we're here to help".  YIPPEE!!!

Within the first two minutes of meeting the owner, I politely mentioned that if we weren't allowed to carry (Texas and Miss have reciprocity) that I would probably not even consider going.  Not a problem at all - just don't brandish.  No advertising at all.  Common sense conservatism.  :)

The owner of the company doesn't want any brandishing, but he has no problem at all with law abiding citizens, including his employees, carrying.  Perfect  common sense.  Just like our state law.

CCW is fine if you can do it legally!

www.packing.org/state/mississippi
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Definitely interested.
Just a couple of questions.
You mentioned a campground, do you have one lined up already, or is it a matter of finding one, once we're there?

We will camp all together - perhaps divided into the eight groups of three crews each that we currently have fleshed out.  Camp is a planned affair.  Shower tents, water, and I heard even *ice* SHOULD be there when we arrive.  Set up by the US Army Corps of Engineers.  The first few days we will *not* work.  We will be recovering from the drive, setting up camp, supervisors and foremen will be taking classes on how to properly install the tarps, and flu and tetanus vaccinations will be given to the workers, IIRC.

Either way, do you have a rough idea of the cost?

No cost for the campsite itself.

Will there be someplace nearby to take a shower, wash clothes, etc.? I'll either be in a tent or sleeping in the car, at least for the first two weeks.

See above - and for clothes washing, I'm bringing a big tub and detergent just in case that's our only option.  Might be a laundry service, dry cleaner, or laundromat nearby that is open for business.

Have you worked for this outfit long enough to trust them to pay accurately and on time?
These were the first questions my wife asked, so I have to ask also.

My wife's best friend's boyfriend (I know them both very well too - good folks) has a son that worked for this company last year.  He said that the owner is a straight arrow that does what he says and that nobody who worked for him ever had an issue with getting paid on time or with getting the correct amount.  I believe him.  The owner is a Christian, and has always acted like one in my presence.  He is not, however, a stiff collared, wide-eyed Bible thumper that asks "do you know Jesus?" everytime he sees you.  He is very personable - I like him as a manager - I like him as a person.

Honestly, I have only worked  for them for a week and a half.  As stated earlier in this or another thread - I trust the guy enough to be currently ~ $3,000 in the hole via CC debt in order to buy tools to help my crews work faster and to do a few things to my truck to get it ready.  Takes money to make money - and I plan on making it.

I'll probably come up with my own questions later, like how many people are you needing? I might be able to con a couple of locals into going along.

If you have more questions, I'll get more answers!  Thanks for asking specific questions that I'm sure others have wondered about.

Tate
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump to untack

I wish it could stay tacked too, but I had asked for a couple of days and I got it.  You really can't gripe about getting what you asked for.  

If the thread can be tacked again, that would be great.

If those of you sending in apps can add anything, please feel free.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#33]
btt for Tate
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#34]
So the campground is free?
Will there be a hook up for electricity and or water for a camper? or is it all dry camp?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So the campground is free?
Will there be a hook up for electricity and or water for a camper? or is it all dry camp?

Camping at the USACE area is free.  As for elec and water for campers, that is still up in the air.  The portion of the Wedel Group crews that has campers and travel trailers might stay at a nearby state park, KOA, ect. - that has been discussed.

I'm working hard on getting a comprehensive info sheet for you guys, John.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#36]
bump
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#37]
We need an Arfcom flag for the campsite or something.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Already thought of that, I assure you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already thought of that, I assure you.

WooT...  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#40]
More info....

We DO NOT know exactly where we will be, but it will be somewhere near the Hattiesburg area.

www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=&city=hattiesburg&state=ms&zipcode=
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#41]
One more question. How is the pay taxed? Are we considered sub contractors and get a 1099 or will we have to pay Miss. state tax.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#42]
The associated security thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=392733
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
One more question. How is the pay taxed? Are we considered sub contractors and get a 1099 or will we have to pay Miss. state tax.

Yep - 1099 at tax time.

Good question, John.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Still room on the crew?  Sent you a PM
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Not to beat  a dead horse, but I was under the impression that the Army Corps of Engineers was not what you might call gun-friendly.  Is the guns in the sleeping area thing confirmed?  I know that carry permit reciprocity with Michigan and Mississippi is good to go, but is the camp under federal control?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Still room on the crew?  Sent you a PM

Hope you got my reply yesterday evening.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Not to beat  a dead horse, but I was under the impression that the Army Corps of Engineers was not what you might call gun-friendly.  Is the guns in the sleeping area thing confirmed?  I know that carry permit reciprocity with Michigan and Mississippi is good to go, but is the camp under federal control?

Here are the FACTS - things I KNOW to be absolutely true:

I have no idea re: federal control.  Sorry!  If the camp is *truly* under federal control, then we won't need a security detail - that's for sure.

Nobody but my boss, tentmate, and perhaps a few trusted friends will know I have a G17 and an extra mag on me.

If it is under "federal control" like a military installation is, then I can't even have a weapon in my vehicle, much less carry one.

If anyone thinks I am going to drive to Mississippi unarmed - especially right after a hurricane has torn the place up, they are insane.

The man who is organizing the efforts of the whole company to work in Miss said it was fine with him if I carried concealed.

I will not flash/brandish/draw my weapon - I will not cause commotion or trouble.

For nine years, I have had a CHL in a state that has a reciprocity agreement with the State of Mississippi.

My boss always contacts the local sherriff''s office to get a good rapport with local LE, explain to them what we are doing, where we are doing it, and where we will be camping.

My life doesn't depend on me working at this job - I can choose to turn my truck around and head west back to Dallas at any time.

My life *could* depend on me having a firearm on my person.

Those are the things I know for sure.

Sorry I don't have more info, mucknuggle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Beautifully fucking illustrated.   I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Beautifully fucking illustrated.   I'm in.

Glad of it!!!  Have you filled out an app yet?

**btw - running by my bosses house this evening to ask if the new group being formed can be built from arfcommers.

During non-working hours, our group's area of the base camp would be.....uuuuhhhhh........pretty well defended....

(not only against thieves and thugs, but against invasion by a foreign army)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Will be faxing papers back tonight.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top