Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 7:31:20 PM EDT
I heard tonight from someone whose son-in-law does SAR work with dogs and is stationed in New Orleans that 20 SAR dogs have died as a result of infections from the filthy water there and they are not going to use dogs for any more SAR work there.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
damn
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I call BS.  Maybe some,  Not 20 and I doubt ANY to infection this early
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't drink the water!!!!!!!!!!! Hard to tell a dog that and have it understand.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I call BS.  Maybe some,  Not 20 and I doubt ANY to infection this early

Yeah, they take good care of these days, they don't exactly grow on trees.

If they'll do a combat medevac for one in Iraq, I'm sure they took precautions here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't drink the water!!!!!!!!!!! Hard to tell a dog that and have it understand.

This is true, but infections are treatible and also often preventable.

We need a vet in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
That really makes me wonder about all the people from the contaminated areas being transported around the Country. Put up in homes and children adopted into schools around the Nation. too soon to consider if there may be a possible outbreak of infectuious deseases.

OUTBREAK
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mix gasoline, oil, antifreeze and Lord know what else along with the bacteria and such and it could be possible.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I work a German Shepherd rescue group and some of our dogs have gone into SAR training.  We have a few SAR handlers around too.  Hell I haven't checked in I'd bet,especially since it's based in MS, that I know a handler or 2 down there.  I woulda heard something about it.  Hell my GSD is trained to track he could be helpful.  If it was that bad for the dogs and that many had died they'd be scraping the bottom and might even call me.  Have Glock, Have dog, will travel for fat check.  Or at least food and a tent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing on Google news or Yahoo news.
It's a myth until it's busted.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mix gasoline, oil, antifreeze and Lord know what else along with the bacteria and such and it could be possible.

Hey my neighbor has some cats,  free beer man....
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
From what I understand the K9 officer is trained to give his partner a full examination after every search search.  Mostly they are looking for lacerations to the pads on the feet and legs.  Hard to believe that 20 handlers would miss symptoms in their partners to the extent that they would die.  Maybe get sick(dehydration, gastroenteritis, etc.) or maybe develope a secondary infection at a wound site because of the nasty water, but not die.  

EPOCH

ETA: not a veterinarian, but was a Veterinary Nurse for 4 years in college
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard from my friend's sister's cousin's best friend's gardener that the levees breached because the alien cyborgs shot their frickin lazer beams at it.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:11:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I heard from my friend's sister's cousin's best friend's gardener that the levees breached because the alien cyborgs shot their frickin lazer beams at it.

Got a link?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That really makes me wonder about all the people from the contaminated areas being transported around the Country. Put up in homes and children adopted into schools around the Nation. too soon to consider if there may be a possible outbreak of infectuious deseases.

OUTBREAK

Here gentlemen, is the one potentially important post out of this topic. Having recently been forced (well not forced, only if I wanted to keep my job) to fly, it did pass my mind about who exactly was on that plane.

Of course I always wonder such things as I consider planes today to be nasty microbe tubes that fly.

Sure enough, I have a wicked sinus infection going on, the sore throat for two days of meetings has passed. I suspect the fat sniffling slob that I was forced to sit beside but it could have been one of the dozen or so snotty nose brats on that first flight.

Or maybe the gross overweight beeeotch in the back that kept hacking the entire flight?

I'll bet we do see an outbreak of various "bugs" in different parts of the country that all have the same symptoms this year. Could be a real doozy of a flu & cold season. Should start showing up any day now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is a link to the original source of the story on the 20 SAR dogs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:49:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here is a link to the original source of the story on the 20 SAR dogs.

1000 comedians out of work and phil has jokes.  At least I didn't click it.  I did overlay it though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got a link?

Are you implying my friend's sister's cousin's best friend's gardener is a liar?  

Scum!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top