Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2004 9:01:55 AM EDT
If yes, which one?
Longer barrel for faster muzzle velocity and shorter overall length for CQB.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, I'm a lefty.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate bull pups with a passion.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
i've had a strong hankerin for a m-17s but i've heard that you can't see after a few shots from powder fumes.  i want to shoot one before i buy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I like em.  Its just another tool for the toolbox, for certain situations they are great, and in other situations they are not optimal.  You can say that about the AR15, the AK47, or any other system.  I don't think it would be the ONLY rifle I would own, above all other systems, but I think they can be a useful tool to add to the toolbox.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]
No, they are gay looking....
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I do have a m17s and I really like mine.
No malfunctions so far after 1500+ rounds with good ammo.
More accurate than I thought.
Fun Little plinker.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#8]
No
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful Twins you've got SteyrAUG.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Well... If someone made a bullpup with bottom feed & bottom eject, modular upper/lower recievers, and a direct-impingement gas system (ala AR), I'd like it... In addition to the smaller gun, you get a more direct transmission of recoil (& thus more controllable fire)...

However, the vast majority of bullpup designs are either right-eject (so no weak-hand use allowed), use a strainge special top-loading mag (ala P90) to allow bottom eject, or use some convoluted & jam-prone shell-ejector system (ala FN2000)...

Further, I'm a perticular fan of the AR-style gas system, and would consider it a 'must have' in any future rifle (not SAW or MG, but rifle) design... All of the bullpup designs (ex maybe the Bushy XM17) lack this feature...
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nope, I'm a lefty.

Most pups can be configured lefty and in a pinch you can fire on other side if your smart enough to keep your face off the ejection port. Kinda like being near the muzzle blast but can be done in a pinch.

I know, but that still limits their usefulness to me.  Perhaps a downward ejection would work better.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind having a couple in my collection (maybe a lefty AUG), but in general I'm not a big fan of bullpup configurations.  I recognize the benefits (shorter overall length) but they also have downsides.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive never had an interest in Bull Pup rifles, they just feel awkward to me, I like HK's better than the Steyer Augs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Yup, I love bullpup rifles but can't afford them or can't shoot them because they are for right handed shooters only. The BM M17 and the Steyr Aug (USR) come to mind.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I like bullpup rifles, but I don't currently own one.  I had an M17 and a bullpup-converted Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine.  Sold/traded them both.  I miss the M17, but not the Marlin.  (I still have a traditionally-stocked Camp Carbine which I like very much.)

I've been tempted to build the bullpup AK conversion, but everything I've heard about them has been negative.

How about bullpup shotguns?...    I do still have a Mossberg Bullpup 12 Gauge.  

(no pics here at the office - I'll try to remember to take one tonight & post it tomorrow)

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

When you were complaining about owning ANOTHER UZI, I developed a strong sense of jealousy. Now, that is turning into a severe dislike!

I hate you!
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#20]
They do nothing for me

and in the tradition of Markm they should be banned
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well... If someone made a bullpup with bottom feed & bottom eject, modular upper/lower recievers, and a direct-impingement gas system (ala AR), I'd like it... In addition to the smaller gun, you get a more direct transmission of recoil (& thus more controllable fire)...

Good idea but mag feed would have to be from the side and not terribly condusive to a pup. P90 type top feed would be hard with 5.56 unless you go Bren style.

Bottom feed & eject...

Have the port behind the mag, buffer tube along & below the axis of the barrel (ala ZM or OA-93)...

When the bolt travels back, it passes over the top of the mag, impacts the ejector & dumps the spent case, then proceeds forward to strip off & load the next round...

A little less space saving, but a better design...
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
...in the tradition of Markm they should be banned

...for the children!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I`ve only shot my 10/22 with my Muzzlelite Bullpup stock on it. I like it but I gotta keep my right arm down so it won`t get sprayed with hot burning powder!
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Almost forgot to ask.....

Why does it seem that most people here hate/dislike Bullpups in general but almost everyone here would give their left nut for a Steyr AUG?
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#25]
As far as the "action" being close to the shooter's face, my M17 has a hefty upper casing, and I'd be much more apprehensive about firing one of those 50BMG bullpups than a .223.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why does it seem that most people here hate/dislike Bullpups in general but almost everyone here would give their left nut for a Steyr AUG?

Because the gubbamint says you shouldn't have a Steyr Aug, and they have banned them from import!

If it's bad for me, I usually want 2!
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

From watching "Die Hard" in the late '80s.  Seriously, I wanted one since I saw that movie.

Maybe if they were cheap (close to the price of an AR) I would get one, but that will never happen.  Even if DSA (or someone else) makes them, I'd guess the price will but at least $1500 but probably upwards around $1700-1900.  But to be honest, if I got one, I'd probably not use it much and would eventually sell it when I got bored.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#30]
HAHA

But really...

A lot of people say Bullpups = yuck I`d rather have a Hexxe/Vulcan Arms.....

And then they say Steyr AUG = take my car this is the ultimate autorifle

Or is it just cause its a rare preban?
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I`ve only shot my 10/22 with my Muzzlelite Bullpup stock on it. I like it but ........

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Steyr AUG $600!

HK 94 $600!!

SIG 550 $900!!!

Damn, where the hell was I in the 80's!!!  

Oh, yeah, high school.

So what makes the AUG so much better than the other bullpups?
Other than the nice curves.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#35]
To me the major drawback to a bull-pup is that the chamber is THAT much closer to my brain bucket.Unreasonable, shure but I like a little distance between me and the chamber.
Also it does'nt do any thing greater better then a standard rifle/carbine can do. (JMHO)
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#36]
For some reason I cannot wrap my head around whether a Bushy M17s would be legal to own in California.

It's a centerfire semi that take detachable mags plus has a pistol grip...so that a negatory in CA correct?
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#37]
For some reason the only bullpup I like is the israeli Tavor bullpup. I'd love to get one of those, but not the mutilated civilian version, I want an evil semi-auto version of the military one. which I don't think is even in the states or importable.

Check this shit out from a sight with pics from the 2002 shot show.

Angela Barrett of Barrett Firearms with their new Tavor 21 bullpup in .223. The very well-designed bullpup is fully convertible for left-hand operation and accepts standard AR-15 / M-16 magazines. This extremely handy gun will be available from Barrett in mid-2002.

As far as I know that never happened, anyone know how/where I can find out more I really want one of these guns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
For some reason I cannot wrap my head around whether a Bushy M17s would be legal to own in California.

It's a centerfire semi that take detachable mags plus has a pistol grip...so that a negatory in CA correct?

Sorry to tell you, you're correct.
I had to register/marry mine.
Now it's mine for life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Very interesting discussion.

Assuming the receiver/stock is reinforced by the face (to protect from kabooms), I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

It is a really nice idea to be able to put a long barrel into a rifle and have the overall length be relatively short.  Imagine a long range sniping/sharpshooter rifle with an overall length shorter than the average M16!  Of course, to do that they would have to design a bullpup with a really good trigger.  That is the devil in the details.

Bullpups seem to rely heavily on optics and I haven't seen any with real iron sights.  Optics are a wonderful thing, but they're expensive and it's good to have irons to fall back on when something breaks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#40]
I love bullpups - I think they are the logical evolution of the assault rifle.  As long as they are left/right switchable, they are definitely a superior and smarter design.

Worrying about kabooms is like driving an Amish horsebuggy instead of a car because you're afraid of the gasoline exploding and killing you.

Remember that the Mauser Broomhandle was a great design until the Luger (or earlier Borchard) put the magazine BEHIND the trigger, rather than in front, so the overall gun could be shorter, better balanced, and still retain the same (or longer) barrel length.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Nope, I'm a lefty.

I too am a lefty, and I'd love an AUG. It's about the only bullpup that will work for southpaws.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#42]
The SAR-21 caught my eye a while back.  It'd be fun to own.

world.guns.ru/assault/sar21_2.jpg

world.guns.ru/assault/sar21_3.jpg
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#43]
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

aaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggg.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The SAR-21 caught my eye a while back.  It'd be fun to own.

world.guns.ru/assault/sar21_2.jpg

world.guns.ru/assault/sar21_3.jpg

It is the IIRC phillipine version of the Tavor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I guess you couldn't make a bullpup rifle without a pistol grip since it has no stock.
That would mean no bullpups in all the banned states.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
For some reason the only bullpup I like is the israeli Tavor bullpup. I'd love to get one of those, but not the mutilated civilian version, I want an evil semi-auto version of the military one. which I don't think is even in the states or importable.

world.guns.ru/assault/tavor-tar.jpg

www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/tavor/tarsharping.jpg

Angela Barrett of Barrett Firearms with their new Tavor 21 bullpup in .223. The very well-designed bullpup is fully convertible for left-hand operation and accepts standard AR-15 / M-16 magazines. This extremely handy gun will be available from Barrett in mid-2002.

As far as I know that never happened, anyone know how/where I can find out more I really want one of these guns.

IIRC the Tavor is made here & exported to Israel, as part of their aid deal...
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

world.guns.ru/assault/tavor-tar.jpg

www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/small_arms/tavor/tarsharping.jpg

IIRC the Tavor is made here & exported to Israel, as part of their aid deal...

Yet no one here sells them? That sucks if it's true. I put in an e-mail to Barrett asking about it to see if I could get some info, I hope they can give me something.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#49]
i whas thinking that a bulpup rifle might be good for a car gun eg the shorter bbl would alow for more manuvrablity
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I have the Ruger 10/22 bull pup and for under arm shooting its ok.  The gun is not held firmly in place by the stock so for shooting with sights, don't bother.  Of course I bought it before the preban days with high cap clips so they may be better now.   Dont shoot it much.  I like accurate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top